Rage Against The Machine Scoop Xmas Number 1!

I bet Simon Cowell was loving it.....all those people buying extra copies of Joe's single to help it get to number one.

It didn't work in getting the song to the top of the charts but Joe certainly would have sold more copies than he would without the campaign!!

Personally I hate the fact that RATM are number one....there are much much much better songs than both RATM and Joe but at least Joe's is slightly christmassy. Who gives a shit whether x factor dominates the charts or how much money Simon Cowell makes?! Not me!

The campaign was to show Simon Cowell and everyone else in the industry that all said and done we THE PUBLIC still choose WHOM EVER and WHAT EVER we wish to be number one and that not everything is a given. (ie that the x factor winner will automatically go to number one). I think they forget this which is ironic given the show is based on 'the public voting'.

The Rage song was chosen purely because of the lyrics and the message the song conveys - if you havent read the words already or heard the song then you cant understand. People that bought the single were supporting the campaign and not necessarily the song. Like comic relief and children in need the song is not necessarily the reason the single sells - its the cause.

Rage have been very gracious and donated all proceeds to charity. People should be hopeful (and thankful) that perhaps this little reminder will mean that in future our x factor winners are not just churning out covers of old american hits. Are our victors not worthy of their own song and a number one on their own merits?

This is not merely a victory for rage (who are no doubt delighted at being chosen as the voice of this campaign) but for the people. I think its quite special that so many people showed such unity about a single cause and shows how passionate we as a nation are about music. I think thats worth being proud of if Im honest... :flower:

I don't think it has shown that the public chose "whomever and whatever we wish to be number one"......it showed the public chose a song based on a facebook group!

I've read the lyrics (didn't take long seeing as most of it is the same lines repeated!!) and I still don't understand the whole campaign. I like music based on what it sounds like...whether its manufactured or not really doesn't matter to me :shrug:

I was only ever really interested in the charts when I was at school....so with lyrics like "fuck off I won't do as you tell me" its no wonder kids today are little shits :haha:

Do you think all those x factor songs would have gotten to number one on there own merit had they not been released off the back of x factor? Shane wards was pants (my opinion of course) and the rest were shoddy covers - we just want something original is that too much too ask? Im glad someone else topped the charts for a change, someone completely different.

And the facebook campaign was still a public campaign...therefore it was the public who chose rage as opposed the rest of the singles they could have purchased.

I think this is the first time the charts have ever been hijacked lol theres a first for everything eh? roll on next year :happydance:

Loved the fact RATM made it to number 1 but the ironic thing is that Simon Cowell owns their record label so either which way he still got another crimbo number one under his belt iykwim - so technically hes not lost out at all.

fricking hilarious :rofl:

i just liked the idea of a break from the norm

Loved the fact RATM made it to number 1 but the ironic thing is that Simon Cowell owns their record label so either which way he still got another crimbo number one under his belt iykwim - so technically hes not lost out at all.

Simon Cowell owns Sony Records?? Hmm, I don't think so!

Simon Cowell owns Sony Records?? Hmm, I don't think so!

From what I've read he's a shareholder....not sure whether its true though :shrug:

Sorry Simon doesnt own Sony (apologises)

but he is a share holder and executive for the company.

Maybe next year we will have a true competition. I hate that they say rage STOLE the spot from Joe, as if it was rightfully his?! That is what the point was. It isnt really about cowell. It is about choosing a song that says fuck you to the pop music and generating a real competition. This is the first year I have actually been interested because the competition. I say next year there should be proper competition without campaigns, though I just bet some idiot will do a campaign next year and it wont work as well :haha: It was fun, it made a point, so it was succesful.

Suzanne108-what is christmassy about that song? Nothing!

Maybe next year we will have a true competition. I hate that they say rage STOLE the spot from Joe, as if it was rightfully his?! That is what the point was. It isnt really about cowell. It is about choosing a song that says fuck you to the pop music and generating a real competition. This is the first year I have actually been interested because the competition. I say next year there should be proper competition without campaigns, though I just bet some idiot will do a campaign next year and it wont work as well :haha: It was fun, it made a point, so it was succesful.

Suzanne108-what is christmassy about that song? Nothing!

Its not typically christmassy as in singing about santa and his sleigh. It just sounds more christmassy in my opinion than "fuck me I won't do as you tell me"....:shrug:

I just think its a shit song basically!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->