Sleep clinic diary of a 3 year old with SEN and horrific sleep issues.

I do turn him but he always turns back. He might do it straight away or an hour later but he always rolls back. It's frustrating :haha:

Last night was a nightmare. Thomas doesn't eat a lot and I couldn't get him to eat before bed. I did the rest of the routine and tried to put him to bed. I sat next to him in the dark. He kept pulling me down to stroke me so I laid next to him for a long time. Every time I thought he was asleep and sat up he would spring up and pull me down. Eventually he became very distressed and I couldn't calm him. He kept hitting me and head butting the head board.

I took him out of the bedroom to try and calm him and decided to start the routine again after I had ate and hopefully T would eat too (it was 9pm at this point. He will go hours and hours without eating). I did manage to coax him to eat so we started again. By this time I was ready for bed anyway.

I changed his nappy at 10.15pm and then he signed for more.food so.at 10.30pm I got him some toast. He eventually fell asleep at midnight (stroking me all the time). He woke at 3 am and grizzled until 4 am. He did go back off and blissfully woke at 8am for the day.

I hope we have more success tonight.

Thanks everyone. Yes I should see it as a vitamin I need to remind myself it's ok if he has it.

How is the new routine different to what you did before?
Sleep from 12 to 3 and 4 to 8 sounds like at least you got some sleep. So hopefully his wake ups at night will start to be shorter and then vanish. FX!

Fingers crossed x dont feel bad about melatonin. Mattjew has SPD and it works helping them wind down. X

There was no real routine because honestly I'd given up. He's bathed every night and will usually be in bed by 8am but once he wakes nothing me or my OH have ever done has been able to get him back to sleep at a reasonable hour :(

It was pretty good considering. I don't know why he woke at 3 am as he didn't wwant anything and his nappy was fine.

I think I will start it a bit later tonight. I think that might give us more success.

Tonight has so far been a success after a bumpy start.

OH took Thomas for a hair cut at 4pm I said don't be long we need to do the routine. 6pm I rang him and it turned out he'd gone to BIL and SIL's for a bit :dohh: they eventually got home at 7pm. Dinner was ready and waiting. Thomas had a bit of a meltdown. He wanted his food but every time he went near it he kept throwing himself backwards and screaming. He wouldn't be spoon fed either.

I decided to bath him. He was allowed 1 toy (his digger). He was in there for about 20-25 minutes. When I got him out I told him to do a slice of toast for him and Thomas ate it after I got him dressed. We picked a book (We're going on a bear hunt), said goodnight to OH and I took him upstairs at 8.20pm. We read until 8.30pm then I said it was bedtime and turned the light off.

He did kick off a little bit, throwing himself round the bed etc. but I settled him quickly and he stroked my arm and had his leg on my stomach until 8.50pm when he fell asleep. It's now almost 10pm and he's still asleep. I don't expect it to last as when he comes out of a complete sleep cycle he won't be able to self settle but I hope I can get him to sleep quickly.

I can't believe it!!!!

Sounds positive! 20 minutes is less than Sebastian takes to fall asleep at times so this is definitely a good result :) I hope he sleeps well tonight and you do too! :)

He has literally just woken which I was expecting because of the sleep cycle but I'm laying here quietly and he's going back to sleep :)

Brilliant! Oh this would be wonderful if it could go on like that! FX so much!

Sounds brilliant. You definitely deserve a break! Following ...

He woke again at 10:15pm :dohh: OH is up there now.

The normal waking for toddlers his age is 2-3 times a night.

Baby dreams congrats xx

Following. Hope this works for you hun. No sleep is a killer. I say as I am up for the 2nd time already tonight (its not even 11pm).

I am surprised by that stat.

You are doing so well!

Thanks hun.

Really hope you crack the sleeping. Will make the days better with a full nights rest for you both xx

Thanks both :) T woke again at 10:15pm and settled at 10:40pm.

Really hoping this is it but I've a bad feeling we will be up in the early hours.

I was told if he wakes at 6am to get up as they say that's the morning so if all goes well I will get around 6 hours sleep. Not bad at all.

Last night was actually really good.

Asleep 8.50
awake 10pm
asleep 10.50pm
awake 10.15pm
asleep 10.40pm
awake 5.05am
made him wait until 6am to get up.

About 7 hours 40 minutes of sleep in total. He may nap today I'm not sure.

:hugs: for how bad he is I think that's blooming amazing. Well done sequeena x

Sounds like a steady improvement.

Go team Thomas!

It's frigging amazing I can't remember the last time he had that much sleep in 24 hours. I'm pushing for a nap today too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->