So thirsty all the time but unable to drink water

MishC

Has a little princess!!
Reaction score
All I want is a pint of cold water but I can not keep it down unless I drink super slow and with food. Most of the time the thought of food makes me heave so i'm finding it quite difficult.

I can drink a small glass of sprite and a cup of hot chocolate (which I let cool right down) but its not doing anything for me. I don't think im dehydrated for a second but I don't know how much longer I can take this. I just really want a big drink of water but the thought of it makes my stomach turn!

It just horrible wanting to drink but not being able to! Anyone have any advice or ideas?

the only thing that's coming to mind is to eat fruits/veggies high in water content: watermelon, cucumbers, etc

No advice but been suffering with thirst for 6 weeks, i just cant accept i cant drink when i really want too very frustrating!!

thought of needing to drink pint in 1 hour for friday scan sounds like torture to me.

mummy - I couldn't do that it just wouldn't stay down. Its a complete joke I've had enough of it!

Maybe see if your doctor can prescribe some medication to try so you can drink and eat again?

I had this in my first trimester too, it was awful. I talked to my doctor and was able to get anti-nausea meds which helped a lot, but they also told me some tricks to try, some (not all sadly) helped:

*eat ice chips instead of trying to keep a glass of water down
*try seltzer water, its like sprite and it helps settle your tummy
*ginger ale (i got disgusted with this pretty quick, but it did help at first)
*gatorade to build up your electrolytes. My dr told me that dehydration is a vicious cycle, the thirstier you are, the sicker you feel.

I hope one of those works for you, but I would def talk to your dr about anti-nausea medicine and whether or not you may need IV fluids to get you rehydrated.

What worked for me in the first 2 pregs was really watered-down orange juice (about 1/4 or 1/3 OJ, the rest water). It still quenches thirst but stays down a bit better. Use a straw and sip slowly ..

Ew I remember this from my first pregnancy - I would make a cup of mint tea and it would take me two days to drink. I remember just taking tiny sips of water.

Sympathies xx

I can't do water often either (my biggest trigger for nausea). I have found I also must take with food. But the thing to help quench thirst was drinking water with electrolytes to ensure i don't get dehydrated.

I say talk to dr to see if you can get anti nausea meds or try some peppermint essential oil. (It helps me a ton, I just can't handle smells right now.)

I've gone big time on ice-lollies and I eat a lot of pears because of the high water content. For me adding squash helps. But if the issue is the fact that it just makes you vomit I'm not sure what to suggest. I would try and get sickness tablets, they offered me them, but to be honest, its more bad nausea, I don't often vomit. Have you tried sick bands? XXX

Iv been exactly the same Hun, doctor gave me some cyclizine and I took them yesterday which allowed me to eat and drink but they make me feel soooooo spaced out and not right so today I'm trying not to take them.

Iv found that orange lucozade is helping me to drink. Nothing seemed to work but the lucozade is easy to drink and isn't making me feel sick. Xx

clacko keep taking cyclizine, spaced out gets better but took 2 weeks to feel them working but sadly sickness has stepped back up and they dont do much again.

pink lemonade lucozade is good too but i find problem is got watch sugar and caffine in take just cant win x

mummy - I couldn't do that it just wouldn't stay down. Its a complete joke I've had enough of it!

Same here ill just sip what i can, its annoying that ive started feeling rough again could of waited till next week.

The doctor has only given me 4 days worth :-/ said she didn't want me on it long term! Just wanna feel normal! X

The doctor has only given me 4 days worth :-/ said she didn't want me on it long term! Just wanna feel normal! X

4 days wont do anything sadly being on them outweighs you getting really sick.

Ive been taking them since i was admitted to hospital and got more off doc so about 4 weeks so far think got 2 weeks left but can see me getting more.

Tell me about it motion is huge trigger i have no life right now. x

Today I actually feel a bit more human so hoping that eating and drinking yesterday helped so gonna try stay on top of it today. Probably won't work. If doesn't I'm gonna ask doctor for more meds. Seems pointless. She gave me 4 days to give me a bit of relief so I could drink so god knows what she was going to do after them. She said that most meds don't work anyway but surely it's worth trying before I get admitted like my last pregnancies x

Thanks Ladies

I can't take anti-sickness I have an anaphylactic shock to them, cyclizine being one of the ones I have had the reaction too.

As for drinks I have tried Lucozade, appletizer, juice, fizzy drinks, milkshakes, tea, coffee, water. Its killing me!

I spoke to the EPU this morning because I was completely sick of it last night and they said I have hyperemesis and i'm now waiting to see a doctor to see what can be done about it. I explained to the MW that I couldn't take anti sickness meds which she was quite taken back by and said there probably wont be anything that can be done but still wait and see a doctor just incase they have any other ideas!

Thanks Ladies

I can't take anti-sickness I have an anaphylactic shock to them, cyclizine being one of the ones I have had the reaction too.

As for drinks I have tried Lucozade, appletizer, juice, fizzy drinks, milkshakes, tea, coffee, water. Its killing me!

I spoke to the EPU this morning because I was completely sick of it last night and they said I have hyperemesis and i'm now waiting to see a doctor to see what can be done about it. I explained to the MW that I couldn't take anti sickness meds which she was quite taken back by and said there probably wont be anything that can be done but still wait and see a doctor just incase they have any other ideas!

Id love to know if anything else that helps. Ive suffering with HG and meds were only option but not a cure. Hopefully they find a one for you is a fair few to try. I hope it starts to improve for you i got 6 days of relief when i hit 10 weeks.

From previous experience of hg with both my previous pregnancies the only thing that can be done is oral sickness meds (not an option for you) injected sickness meds also not an option and rehydrating you which they will do if you have ketones in your urine.

That's all that can be done for hg z

Ooohh poor you MishC, it sounds terrible if you can't hydrate and can't take any meds!!!
I was going to recommend Diclectin as it worked wonders for my friend, it is made of "vitamin B-6 and antihistamine doxylamine" would you have problems with that?
Did you have this issue with your last pregnancy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->