So what does everyone think about working Mums?

No one says SAHM do nothing? Just that in the vast majority of cases, for some reason or another, working mums (whether working full time, part time or condensed hours) are still often the ones left doing the majority, if not all of the housework and home management.

Perhaps I'm not particularly suited to contributing since my husband does (and always has done) most of the housework! I'm very, very lucky though!

i work parttime atm but definitely dont look down on fulltime mums. in my experience those who say "i dont work, i had my children and im gonna bring them up!" are usually the ones who live off income support and all benefits going.

i would say though, i don't agree with mums who are ALL career career career.. who have families then place them 2nd best to their jobs! x

That's not true - I know loAds of sahms and not one ofthem claim benefits!! Includin myself!

I dont like the "i had my children, im gonna bring them up!" comment... i AM bringing my child up. Im his mother!

i work parttime atm but definitely dont look down on fulltime mums. in my experience those who say "i dont work, i had my children and im gonna bring them up!" are usually the ones who live off income support and all benefits going.

i would say though, i don't agree with mums who are ALL career career career.. who have families then place them 2nd best to their jobs! x

Only child benefit here :thumbup:

I dont like the "i had my children, im gonna bring them up!" comment... i AM bringing my child up. Im his mother!

I hate these sorts of comments too.

Just because I work full time doesn't mean I am not bringing my child up. When he was attending nursery, guidelines were left as to how we do things at home and wherever feasibly possible, those were followed at nursery too (such as dummy only for nap times or distress NOT all day, not being left to cry, he was still being cuddled to sleep etc).

From what I can gather, if we all left having children until we were in a position to be able to afford to have one parent at home without claiming benefits, most of us wouldn't ever have had ours.

Just out of ignorance as i really don't know, but what benefits could receive if i was that way inclined?. Tax Credits i used to get while i was employed, i don't get any now. I don't know how people assume SAHM live off benefits because there isn't any as far as I'm aware? or can someone tell me different out of curiosity?

The only ones I qualify for are child tax credits and child benefit (which the majority of people are entitled too!) so how can most sahms be claiming benefits when the majority of us can't get them to begin with?

The only ones I qualify for are child tax credits and child benefit (which the majority of people are entitled too!) so how can most sahms be claiming benefits when the majority of us can't get them to begin with?

I'm on the verge of madness doing 4 days a week, 9 until 5.30pm, dropping 6yr old at school 8.20am, LO at mum and dads for 8.45am, work for 9am, finish 5.30pm, straight to mums in rush hour at 6pm, collect both kids, back home 6.45pm, stick thrm both in the bath and bed at 7.15pm....
Neither can stay up later so I get OOOOOH half an hour with them.
Yippppeee.
Roll on Thursdays - day off.
It is crap and its bloody hard work but it is the way it ha to be for us.

i said in my experience. all my friends are SAHMs, all of them are on income support, tax credits, cb and housing benefit. "being a mum is my job, i chose to have my children so i'll bring them up" is what i hear alot of.

I'm just curious why is claiming benefits a bad thing? Aren't they there to help people? I'm sure if someone tried to claim them that isn't entitled they would be denied. It took us 6 months to get child tax credits just because I'm here on a visa! Does claiming benefits mean that I'm a worse person than someone who doesn't?

ah ok sorry didn't see that bit :)

But I am one of those women who thinks I gave birth to my kids so it is my responsibility to bring them up - and if that means having to work to bring them up or stay at home and be in charge - whatever is best for us as a family. I would feel so guilty if I went to work and missed out on their growing up because next thing I know they'll be 18 years old and off to university! This is why I know I'm lucky that my OH can support us all :) I love being at home with him but that's what suits us and won't suit everyone.

On another note - I jsut feel this thread both sides are having to justify their decisions when we shouldn't have too - as mothers we do what we have too and we do what we can - and it shouldn't matter who stays at home or who works, it doesn't mean who does the opposite to us is wrong!

I'm just curious why is claiming benefits a bad thing? Aren't they there to help people? I'm sure if someone tried to claim them that isn't entitled they would be denied. It took us 6 months to get child tax credits just because I'm here on a visa! Does claiming benefits mean that I'm a worse person than someone who doesn't?

I think people have a bad perception of mother's who claim benefits - because you get the few who don't work, claim every single thing they can, get a free house etc etc - basically mother's who are fit to appear on Jeremy Kyle lol :)

If they realy need them its fine but you get people who claim they are single mothers so get rent and C tax paid, they claim income support and get the higher rate tax credits but realy they have their partner living there who works.

claiming benefits isn't a bad thing but if you have the opinion that "i had my children, i'll bring them up" then by the same token, you had your children, you pay for them. :shrug: don't get me wrong, i'm on tax credits and housing benefit myself.. but i don't agree with people not working at all when they have to have EVERYTHING paid for by the taxpayer :shrug:

if this were true then the country would be in a much better position than it is! unfortunately there are flaws in every system and there are cheats in every society.

there is nothing wrong at all with claiming benefits and using them correctly. there is something wrong with abusing them and using them to fund your lifestyle long term when there is nothing prohibiting you getting a job and contributing to the society in which you rely on. (not saying anyone here is a benefit cheat at all, just commenting directly to kalah's post)

And I'm not sure where the single parent thing cane into it... I'm not a single parent. We share the housework too... We both come home from a full day, and di everything that you alone do in one day. Then we look after Harrison. We do the same tasks as you in much less time. I honestly am baffled how people think it's not harder to do that!

Being a sahm means you cook, feed, clothe, change nappies, play, clean up after your children etc all day so to say you do the same work as a sahm in less time is wrong. I was a working mum before having Alfie, I used to go to work and do the tidying when I came back but I can honestly say that for me it is harder now being a sahm to 2 children than it was being a working mum to 1.

Thats just me though, I'm not making any generalisations, like I said before every circumstance is different and I think its wrong to say its the same for everyone because you don't know.

:shrug: But I DO do all of the housework in less time? I only have a couple of hours in the evenings or weekends to do it?! I dont see how me saying that about MY time is "wrong" :wacko:

And CocoaOne - i run around with the hoover everyday, i try and do it while Harrison is in his jumperoo or something so he is distracted, and not feeling threatened by the vacuum cleaner :rofl:

You said that you do all of the work a sahm mum does but in less time, but whilst you're at work somebody else is doing nappy changes, feeding etc, being a sahm is more than just housework. I felt I had to comment as being told its 'silly' to think being a sahm is as hard as being a working mum got my back up a bit as I've experienced both and I'd already said I found it harder, mentally and physically, does that make me silly iykwim? I don't want to argue I hope you don't read my tone wrong :flower:

No i get what you mean!!
The idea that an SAHMs job is harder than someone who is both a mother AND a FT worker is silly, because in the majority of cases, a SAHM has less to do, in more time. Thus, being simpler/easier/better to manage... whatever. I dont think any PERSON is silly, just the notion that someone who is at home all day could possibly find doing one set of jobs harder, than me doing two sets of jobs in the same 24/7/365 timeframe.

Im not making sense :dohh:

And, yes my mum feeds him and changes him during the day... but that still leaves dressing, bathing, putting to bed, feeding, changing, washing, eating, preparing his breakfast/lunches/dinners, cooking, cleaning the house, drying clothes, ironing clothes and everything else... on top of a full time job and everything that comes with it (prep for the next days work, late-night emails abroad, conference calls...) So yes the basics are done during the day, but my workload at home is th sort of thing a SAHM can do when her child is napping at lunchtime.

Sometimes, i like to have a shower! ... yesterday, my shower was at 12.45am. :(

And ust to add again... that is all done without a sit down, or a conversation with my OH. :cry:

But this is what I mean when I say every situation is different, obviously for you your finding it harder being a working mum, I was just making the point that not everyone will. When Evie was in nursery they prepared all the meals so I didn't have to do that when I got home, they fed her breakfast lunch and tea so I only had to make her supper before bed. I used to tidy up as I was going along (still do) so I didn't have to come home and do loads of housework, if I left the house tidy it was still tidy when I got home.

I don't have all day to do housework as you said. Ironing with my two is impossible I have to wait for OH to get home because its dangerous when Evie is jumping around and Alfie keeps trying to climb the ironing board lol. Same with doing the garden, any big cleaning jobs that take time I have to wait for OH because who looks after the kids whilst I do them? I can't just leave them both to their own devices they're too young. Maybe when they get older it will get easier, I hope so anyway!

If they realy need them its fine but you get people who claim they are single mothers so get rent and C tax paid, they claim income support and get the higher rate tax credits but realy they have their partner living there who works.

if you know people that commit benefit fraud you should report them. that way the benefits go only to people that really need them. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->