Stalkers unite :-D (27 charts and 16 BFP's)

Temps, by themselves, are something like 30-40% accurate for pinpointing ovulation (when compared to confirmation via ultrasound). They are still good for other things, but just no certainty can be ascribed to them, alone. Crazy, too, because medical science started debunking the usefulness of temps in the 1980's and it's still suggested that it's far more accurate than it is. I read all the FF user info, etc. when I started TTC and really should have fact checked them much sooner than I did (now at cycle 9).

Too much to relay all here - here's a link to a post about it I made in my journal:
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/t...secret-baby-making-texas-77.html#post28056311
There's the post that directly links to and then a second one by me 3-4 after it.

Wow awesome information...thanks a ton

Very welcome, Gkmk! I had to share a lot of it, because I know everyone who temps feels better doing it but at the same time gets really stressed about them from time to time. I was a bit shocked at how inaccurate they are - especially because of how strongly it's encouraged by users of every TTC forum out there!

Very welcome, Gkmk! I had to share a lot of it, because I know everyone who temps feels better doing it but at the same time gets really stressed about them from time to time. I was a bit shocked at how inaccurate they are - especially because of how strongly it's encouraged by users of every TTC forum out there!

True, I stress about it big time. Now I can relate why I don't get good high temps before 4dpo and why my bbt chart is useless to predict ovulation day. I will keep reminding myself that bbt is less reliable and stop stressing!

Wow! Thanks for that info! That explains why my Dr says don't bother temping.

@Gkmk, I know better and I still stress! I call it "old habits die hard" - but temping for me, because I've done it for 6+ cycles now, does give me other information about my cycles - just doesn't help for ovulation!

@Hopethisyear: your doctor is spot on. I think when we were all told temping was the way to go, it helped us feel in control of the TTC process. Definitely OPKs/ monitors are more accurate!

Sorry cant stop asking, what do you mean by other information? U mean sustained temps to guess BFP?

From the second post on my journal:
Things I've learned about temp charts from research science...
You can ovulate without a biphasic chart.
The temp shift can be as much as 8 days before or 3 days after ovulation.
Higher temps at the end of a cycle are consistent with pregnancy.
Individual temps are almost meaningless.
Temps are useful for determination of an individual pattern (i.e. my temps do a normal pattern for me over the course of a cycle, but aren't necessarily useful for anyone else).
If you have regular cycles (range of most cycles <7 days difference in length, with few exceptions) chances are you are ovulating no matter what your temp does. Mine for example usually range from 27-33 days with an occasional one that's really short (24 days) or really long (34 days).

This group of researchers found increased accuracy by charting the gap better the male and female partners (instead of just the female's temp), because it controls for change caused by the sleeping environment: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11430971
[Hubster will not be temping anytime soon, I'm sure!]

And even though I've learned all this stuff, I still let my temps stress me out (because old habits die hard). Long story short: if you are like me and you know things about yourself from temping - keep doing it. If you are trying to decide whether to start temping/ charting - OPKs/ monitors are your best friend, CM in most cases, too. If you temp, remember it's the least reliable of all indicators of ovulation.

Thanks, I read that in your original post. Too curious about more information I think ;)

I can look up something specific if you'd like. Just leave me a note, but I'll have to put it at my end of the day queue. Need to go actually do my job :dohh: :)

I can look up something specific if you'd like. Just leave me a note, but I'll have to put it at my end of the day queue. Need to go actually do my job :dohh: :)

Oh no i dont have any more doubts for today :D
What I meant was, even though I read that in your original post, thought u meant something else

:dohh: On that note....u had a nice temp spike today Clandestine:thumbup: and so did I

Just keep in mind, on the whole temping debate, that a lot of the "inaccuracy" they're measuring is user error -- the same kind of thing you get when you study the effectiveness of the pill and take into account that many people don't follow the instructions (miss a day, take it at different times, etc.). It won't work for everyone, but it worked very well for me, my charts were very clear and very consistent and my temperatures did not vary much within their pre- or post- ovulation range. I would still highly recommend that other women try it and see if it works for them, as it can be VERY accurate and much easier than squinting at OPK lines.

Anchor I agree temping worked for me I used it for 2 years as precaution instead of the pill and it worked a dream and my charts were also very clear pre & post O

OPK's never did really work for me so really I would have been stumped :wacko:

@Hopethisyear: it wasn't a real spike yesterday - temp was taken 2.5 hours late!

@anchor08 & @Twag: if you read the studies, the lack of accuracy in temping is far more than user-error, but at the same time it's not 100% inaccurate. 30-40% of the time the chart did correctly pinpoint ovulation - so if it worked for you two, that's great! I've been temping since December, I definitely know how to operate a thermometer and not only have consistently followed all the instructions regarding optimal temps, but even make a point to use the exact same location in my mouth every morning (I know anatomy well enough to ID the landmarks) - and my temps are still useless for pinpointing ovulation and are extremely sensitive to anything and everything! Most women are not going to be able to pinpoint ovulation using temps only, no matter what they do, and there are more accurate ways that easily done at home. I'd recommend newbies try everything at least once and see what seems to have the highest accuracy for them - but even then make sure they are still having sex every 2-3 days, because without an ultrasound - none of us "really" know when we've ovulated.

Would anyone like to take over ownership of this thread? I took over from Toffee who started it originally but I am struggling to keep up with BnB at the moment - let me know and I will ask the admin team to pass over the reigns

Thanks ladies :flower:

So I'm on CD10 and gosh, I don't think I've ever been this impatient for ovulation. All my charting software predicts O for Friday but it may happen Saturday. So 2-3 days left. And I've never wanted to ovulate so much in my entire life... I think it has to do with this being our final TTC cycle before my husband deploys.

AF came for me, gonna try soy isoflavones this cycle x

Anyone??? I don't want to leave it so that is not going to be updated on the front page so if someone could please volunteer it would be great :thumbup:

Hi Twag, I am not sure how many days I will hang around this forum but you can give to me if no one else can volunteer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->