The did you know thread?

DYK that right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed
people

I honestly thought everyone knew that about the toaster :)

A duck's quack cannot echo! x

Another myth, it does echo but is difficult to hear because of the pitch and tone of the orriginal sound.
All sounds echo, if you can hear ir then it creates sound waves and a echo is just a sound wave bouncing iff something

Count the number of cricket chirps in a 15-second period, add 37 to the total, and your result will be very close to the actual outdoor Fahrenheit temperature

Another one although I have made posts about this before.

The UK flag is not actualy called the Union Jack, it is called the Union Flag.
It is only called the Union Jack when it is flown on a ship at sea, all flags at sea are refered to as jacks because they where flown from a jack staff.

Another one (im bored)

The egg came first going by evolution, birs evolved from reptiles so the first chicken technicaly came out of a egg that a reptile laid (obviously jumping a few generations of evoultion there)

The adverage cloud weighs the same as 100 elephants (I dont want that falling on me)

Suger doesnt actualy cause children to be hyper, studies have proved that even with children with ADHD no changes where notices between children who did and did not have sugery foods, there was a however a high reporting of "hyperness" from parents who where told their kids had the suger when in facts theirs where the placebos.

You dont actualy lose most body heat through the head, you will lose it through whatever is not covered and most times that just happens to be the head, when naked you only lose 10% through the head.

The word POSH is actually an acronym that comes from the days when people sailed on ships, the first class passengers were positioned Port Out Starboard Home (POSH) as this was the side where the sun rose in the morning!!!

SCUBA is also another acronym for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Aparatus

Yes I am an English language fanatic!! Etymology really interests me!!

Ohh that reminds me, LASER is a acronym of Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Smokey I bet your an awesome person to have in your team at a pub quiz!

We do a daily quiz question at work. From today's quiz;

Marge Simpson was the first cartoon character to grace Playboys front cover.

Some others;

Shakespeare invented the words assassination and bump.

The continents names all end with the same letter with which they start.

Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Smokey I bet your an awesome person to have in your team at a pub quiz!We do a daily quiz question at work. From today's quiz;

Marge Simpson was the first cartoon character to grace Playboys front cover.

Some others;

Shakespeare invented the words assassination and bump.

The continents names all end with the same letter with which they start.

Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

I used to be but now I just keep annoying people by nipping out for a ciggerette all the time :)

Shakepear invented nearly 2000 words that we use in everyday conversation now, he also invented bedroom, rant, gossip, advertisement and hobnob :)

I do annoy people at work with my useless knowledge though :haha:

SWIMS looks the same if you turn it upside down ;)

The word POSH is actually an acronym that comes from the days when people sailed on ships, the first class passengers were positioned Port Out Starboard Home (POSH) as this was the side where the sun rose in the morning!!!

I think it was because they could wave at their loved ones when leaving and arriving as it would be impossible in all ports for the sun to rise in the same place x

From the time it takes for Cirrus clouds to appear to the time it takes for the cloud to cover the sun is approx the same time it takes from the clouds covering the sun to when it is going to rain :)...

e.g. Cirrues clouds seen at 9am, they descend even more and Stratus clouds move in which cover the sun at 1pm (it usually takes longer than this), so in approx 4 hrs from 1pm it should rain.

Interesting things ladies :thumbup:

Did you know that elephants cannot jump

Rubbish one, but I've gone completely blank :dohh:

I always thought a cloud was weight less :blush: that one has shocked me!! Cx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79