• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The WTT Graduate Thread...

We was just talking a few days ago about how my DH is well and truly out of the honeymoon phase. If your OH is always like it you are pretty lucky.

Sociology is my subject too. :haha: Hoping to find some way to fund a new route Phd. I have noticed the gender stereotyping issue is really big with sociologists and psychologists.

He pretty much is to be honest... I am lucky... He's laid back and I'm hard work so I think we just work!!

He adores his subject, he's head of the department at his school! I did feminism in college too!!

x

I opted to take quite a few feminism modules too although my main area of academic interest is the sociology of popular culture. So when the two meet with things like gender stereotyping in children's toys, clothes and TV I find it really interesting. I was doing a mini-dissertation (on top of my I.S) about gender stereotyping in pre-school TV which is a fairly under-researched area but I found two independent projects too much in the third year with a toddler, while pregnant, and trying to move so replaced my that project.

DS1 has always being allowed to decide who he is without gender stereotyping and a is a result he is not really your average toddler boy.

Sounds really interesting, My brother is doing something along similar lines in his PHD but his is more to do with same sex couples and the lack of information available to children who are being brought up in a same sex family. I didnt know that where same sex childrens books available until he started doing it!!

I did a family forms and personal ties module that looked at alternative families, it is really interesting stuff. I love my subject so much and am so glad I finally found the right one for me even though it took a while to get there. I'd love to be able to afford a PhD and aim to be a lecturer one day.

I'm waiting to hear back about someone selling some pre-loved minki nappies in size small. I hope she gets back to me soon because it is not a bad deal and I'd like at least 6 of them.

I have just had an idea for a nautical theme nursery and now I just need to find out if DH likes the mood board I made for it later on. FX he does because I do think it looks quite nice for a budget nursery.

Nautical sounds amazingly cute Omi... I love nautical stuff!!
Hope the girl gets back to you... What site was it? X

I love nautical stuff but normally it would cost too much to pull off but I found a whole load of stuff at Matalan cheap, I guess it was intended for bathrooms so the price is not boosted as a baby item and then I found a cushion, bunting and bedding at Dunelm. I like the more relaxed rather than really kiddy sort of nautical stuff so I am happy which what I could get for the price. I really hope DH likes it now.

View attachment 558181

It was from the natural mamas site, it has a buy and sell section. Unfortunately the site has been down all morning! :growlmad:

Aww that'll look adorable... I'm sure your DH will love it too!

Typical if the site to go down... Always the way!!

FAO Kath when she comes online - saw this and thought of you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3
I've actually done a study on gender stereotypying in nurseries and parents. It was found that parents influenced in so much. In some cases you'd see the mother/father take a toy of choice off a child because it wasn't gender 'suited' to their child. I think it's all a bit silly :shrug: If it makes them happy, then what's wrong with it?
I like the nautical mood board, it's really nice! You always have such lovely ideas Omi :)

Rach.... :o
Where did you find that!? Are they for sale!? I MUST HAVE IT!!!

I have read a few studies showing that and I don't get it at all. I have had some pretty extreme reactions to DS playing with cooking, shopping and cleaning type toys. :wacko:

I have had too many ideas but I actually like this one. I wanted to do this theme for ages but I just did not think I could get much nautical stuff for the price.

That is a cute nappy!

Yeah, it's a really classy expensive looking theme! :) What colour walls were you thinking?

The only thing that worries me, is a dilemma which I saw in the paper I think. Over if your son wanted to wear a dress to a birthday party or to a non-uniform day at school. Kids and their judgemental parents are really cruel, and I don't know if I'd want to open my son up to such bullying?

It was on that pre-loved nappy group on Facebook I was telling you about... They were brand new with tags for £8 plus £1.99 p&p

I know exactly what you mean about the gender stereotyping with toys issue... I hate it so much when you see girls with kids saying to boys "you can't play with that doll, it's for girls" or to girls "no football is for boys"
As much as I'd love a girly girl, if she likes football (which OH would want her to) she can go to football matches with her dad and if I have a boy who wants to play in my make up well that's fine too!!

The other issue I have with some parents isn't to do with gender stereotyping but brands... I had a girl on my Facebook the other day saying how its so bad that parents will put their child in non branded trainers as its just setting them up for bullying and that she would never put her girl in non branded shoes as she wouldn't let her get bullied - errr yes I see why you don't want her to get bullied as no parent wants their child to be singled out but arnt you influencing your child to bully others who may be less priveledged and unable to buy brands?? Grrr x

the whole room adds up to about £416 and that is including things not on the photos like mattress and extra bedding and stuff like that. I don't think that is too bad of a price considering how much decorative stuff I added. We rent so probably white of beige. We are allowed to decorate here but when we move it is unlikely we will be able to. :shrug:

I don't mind him wearing my headbands in the house or pretending his towel is a dress when he gets out of the bath but I would draw the line at going out in a dress. Although it would not be an issue with him anyway since he is quite into his clothes for a 2-3 year old. He does have a 'man bag' though. :haha:

https://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/v...840101404&index=21&nav=SEARCH&nid=23607789074

It's on ebay too Kath!!

That's an amazing price for the whole nursery Omi... I'm not sure how much mine has costed me already!!! Oh I want to be pregnant :-(
X

I've added myself into that group :) I wonder if it's still for sale? Hmm..
I had googled penguin nappies but couldn't really find anything, same with the fact DH wants a Doctor Who one :haha:

Yeah, I don't mind at all what my children want to do, or what they want to play with, but same as you Omi, I'd draw the line at my boy wearing dresses in public. It's adorable that DS1 is into clothes, bless him! :)

It's ridiculous that someone would whinge about not putting children in non-branded clothes! What does it matter?! Some people can't even afford to buy their children shoes in some places/countries. :growlmad:

I think a white/beige would be the colour I would've chosen anyway :thumbup:

Brought it Rach! :haha:
So I'm expecting a lot of fluffy post! :happydance:

Have your itti tuttos arrived Omi?
Are you still waiting on anymore Rach?

Found it on ebay too for you chick!!

I know, I was actually really annoyed for ages after I read it!! X

I'm waiting on 3 tuttos, 3 TB EFs, and the Charlie banana
Fluffy post is the best x

CakeCottage, at least you are very prepared with your nursery though. :flower:

Wee notions do a few Penguin ones. https://weenotions.co.uk/index.php?...d=ir129eo6stitksdt26ftqbfvv1&keyword=penguin+

The only Dr Who one I know of is bad by pocket protector and they don't sell in the UK. I wanted their Super Mario ones. DH is into superhero nappies and wanted to get a Batman one last night instead of the cow one.

I still don't have my nappies! DH e-mailed to ask about them but has not heard back yet. Although I once again was expecting a Graze box today and it has not come so it seems like we didn't get the post again. There is no snow now and it a cold but okay day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->