Toy Chest? Storage Solutions?

ExpectingK

Reaction score
Help! What do you store your children's toys in?

At the moment I have 2 cheapy plastic containers containing lo's toys and they fit under the coffee table. The few bigger bits sit by the side.

I know come Christmas I'll be overrun with a load of new toys and nowhere to tidy them away! I'm a bit of a neat freak and like to pack up at the end of each day, plus, we live in a flat and space is short.

I've been looking online. Mothercare want £40+ for a sturdy wooden toy box. I'm on the Isle of Wight so we often get stung by companies who courier things over so I'm limited where I can buy things.

Is a toy box the best option or can anyone suggest something else? Show me your storage solutions!! What worked for you, what was a waste of money?

I use a few things. A pine chest from Argos

https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8754176/Trail/searchtext>PINE+STORAGE+CHEST.htm

It's cheap and you have to put loads of extra screws in, but we painted ours White and it looks nice. I also use a couple of those wicker/lloyd loom linen baskets that are seats, which I picked up in charity shops, repainted and recovered. Ive got quite a bit from ikea, but I guess that's not an option for you?

I'll be waiting replies with interest too :happydance:

I have two plastic boxes of toys at my house, which would be fine except that there are too many toys in there to put lids on and one of my dogs steals toys and destroys them the minute my back is turned :growlmad:

I don't really want to add more boxes so I can put lids on them and I'm worried about a hinged lid traditional toy box trapping little fingers :nope: so I'm looking for a stylish but workable solution

Hi hun, we bought this from Argos to put my dd's toys in. You do have to put it all together yourself though. We then bought some foam and some fabric and covered the lid so it could be used s a seat if needed.

https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8754176/Trail/searchtext%3ESTORAGE+BOXES.htm

Does the Argos box lid have 'stays' on the lid so that it can be locked in the up position?

Two posts suggesting the same product in Argos plus it has 20% off at present - yay!! I kinda like the idea of getting creative and painting it myself and padding the seat.

Closest Ikea is Southampton. They charge a premium to deliver to the Island. If I take the car on the ferry it'll cost me over £30! My sister is taking a daytrip there next month so it might be worth me considering them as she could collect for me.

We have a few charity shops but they tend to be small and stock mainly clothes. We do have a local version of ebay so I'll have to watch that too.

Thanks for your suggestions - appreciated.

We use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Set-Pop-Up...PVGS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1321791860&sr=8-6

Space is at a premium in our living room and Callie's room and it's nice as you can see the toys through the mesh.

We have her travelcot in the corner of our liing room. LOTS of space for all her toys and other bits and bobs :).

We have a wardrobe in the living room!! In our defense, it used to be a bedroom. It's handy though :) We also have a plastic flexible bucket thing for his everyday toys

Does the Argos box lid have 'stays' on the lid so that it can be locked in the up position?

No, it just has a chain on it, so it can't flap all the way back. What I also have is a monks bench from Argos

https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8325299.htm

Which does stay up and has a slow close so it can't trap fingers so easily. I have it in Mog's room.

Has anyone found any decent drawer systems or anything? My cousin had one for her kids a couple of years ago that was brill. It covered the whole side of the playroom amd had big plastic drawers in that the kids could slide in and out and tidy their toys into. I can't find one anywhere. Ikea only have crappy little ones that are overpriced and would hardly fit any toys in!

Right now we have two large wicker baskets out in the living room that LO can pick out of. I think we might have to get a toy chest for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->