uhh... breastfeeding an 8 year old??

What the?! I have a 9 year old daughter, I love that she and I have a bond and a close relationship; I breastfed for a while with her. I can't see me breast feeding her at her age. When they get teeth breastfeeding is a suicide mission! After 1 years old it's just flat out gross and looks a little like you are some sort of sex-offender in disguise, trying to silently victimize your child. For the love of God, if you love breastfeeding that much, have another "baby"!!! Something should be don't about this, is it just me or is that just wrong?!

:| what the fuck. So I am sexually abusing my 2 and a half year old and I am flat out gross?

You disgust me.

Anyway, lets not let 1 post which im sure has been reported numerous times stop the discussion cos im finding it quite interesting!

I agree blah. That was an awful post but as always I for one have been enjoying looking into this more in a scientific way. :D

I couldn't find in that article you posted anything about linking skin colour directly with lactose intolerance as it sounded like you meant. I did see that vit D is needed for calcium metabolism so a lack of either can lead to calcium deficiency. Looking just on wikipedia (I know!) was really interesting. Some research links lactose tolerance with pastoral lifestyles. Northern Europe and East Africa (so that's not a skin colour thing). I also didn't know that lactase is contained in breastmilk which is how lactose is digested in the 70% or whatever it was of people who are lactose intolerant. Biology really is amazing. :D

Argh i didnt notice that post on the last page ladies sorry my laughing was at Aliss' pic not the previous post :(

I agree blah. That was an awful post but as always I for one have been enjoying looking into this more in a scientific way. :D

I couldn't find in that article you posted anything about linking skin colour directly with lactose intolerance as it sounded like you meant. I did see that vit D is needed for calcium metabolism so a lack of either can lead to calcium deficiency. Looking just on wikipedia (I know!) was really interesting. Some research links lactose tolerance with pastoral lifestyles. Northern Europe and East Africa (so that's not a skin colour thing). I also didn't know that lactase is contained in breastmilk which is how lactose is digested in the 70% or whatever it was of people who are lactose intolerant. Biology really is amazing. :D

It's something to do with tens of thousands years ago, people moved north to less sunny and colder climates so started wearing clothes. didn't have as much sunlight and Obv sometimes had poor diet so they started using cowsr milk for calcium to make them stronger hence why those races with fair skin can digest milk better.

Interesting theory but I didn't explain it well!

What the?! I have a 9 year old daughter, I love that she and I have a bond and a close relationship; I breastfed for a while with her. I can't see me breast feeding her at her age. When they get teeth breastfeeding is a suicide mission! After 1 years old it's just flat out gross and looks a little like you are some sort of sex-offender in disguise, trying to silently victimize your child. For the love of God, if you love breastfeeding that much, have another "baby"!!! Something should be don't about this, is it just me or is that just wrong?!

I dont agree with breastfeeding an 8 year old for my own reasons but thats just really rude and offensive.

When I was pregnant I knew I wanted to bf but I was adamant that I would stop once he started teething. I thought bf a baby with teeth was gross! Now my opinion has COMPLETEY changed! Now as a bf mum I hope to get to 18 months - 2 years but I definately would not be bf at eight. But who am I to judge, each to their own. It's not wrong, it's just different

I actually watched this documentary a while back and what disturbed ne the most was that she said her husband likes to suckle them as well and from memory she said something along the lines of 'it's part of a normal lactating family'.

My dh is completely supportive of my bf our LO and understands the benefits, but there's no way on this green earth he would bf! That comment from her made me wonder if she is just breast obsessed? :shrug:

Sorry I am making no sense, I'm tired

There are lots of things in other cultures which are 'normal' for them but not us.

i.e females being made to have there clit cut out.
arranged marriages as young as 12 years old. etc

just because other cultures see that as normal doesnt mean its right or we shouldnt batter an eyelid.

BF an 8 year old isnt normal in our society like i said before the same as bottle feeding an 8 year old.

interesting that you picked the cultural habits that are abusive though. How does extended BF violate the rights of the child?

sounds like the mum is a member of a lactivist forum and taken the breast is best and natural thing a bit too literal!

What planet are you on?

Do yourself a favour and shut up :thumbup:

There are lots of things in other cultures which are 'normal' for them but not us.

i.e females being made to have there clit cut out.
arranged marriages as young as 12 years old. etc

just because other cultures see that as normal doesnt mean its right or we shouldnt batter an eyelid.

BF an 8 year old isnt normal in our society like i said before the same as bottle feeding an 8 year old.

interesting that you picked the cultural habits that are abusive though. How does extended BF violate the rights of the child?

They were the first examples that came into my head i never said BF is abusive. i dont agree with an 8 year old being breastfed end of.

I wouldn't BF an 8 year old.
I wouldn't have wanted to BF when I was 8.
I don't think it's wrong though, I actually couldn't care less.

All I can say is just WOW, this whole post just has me gobsmacked.

This is LMAO stupid! Sex offender in disguise?!!??????!!! I seriously hope you can get some professional help on that one because it must be very traumatizing to you to live in this world where normal people doing normal things makes you think of sex. And yes...I think it's just you. LMFAO

Ummmmm No.

I breastfed until 13.5 months with my daughter, and I would have HAPPILY continued until 3-4 years old if that is what SHE wanted. I would have loved for you to have said something like this to me while I was out NIP!

:dohh:

Oh no sex offender? seriously?I wouldnt personally do it but wouldnt call any one who did that. Breastfeeding is not sexual in any way. Its wrong to think other wise. I have no opinion on this woman doing it really I dont care, I feel sorry for her being name called though. But thats just ignorance from people.

I agree to call her a sex offender is just not right at all. After all I am sure she is doing what she thinks is best for her daughter, regardless of what any of us think.

What I didn't like about this thing (from what I can remember anyway) was not the fact she was still bfing, but towards the end the older daughter (who bf'd until she was 4 I think?) got upset because they were lying to her about when the younger one was feeding, and she felt really left out. The attatchment to the younger one but almost pushing the other away seemed really odd to me. The girl also got really distressed as she was losing her ability to get milk, so in a way it didn't, imo, come accross as self-weaning, as the psychologically she didn't see ready to wean.

It would be interesting to see if there are any negative effects to bfing that length of time in a western culture, once she realises that breasts are seen as sexual (rightly or wrongly), will she feel differently about being so attatched to her mum's? Not just in terms of feeding, but the way she almost 'owned' them.

Off topic, but I did read in a trashy magazine once how a woman expressed milk for her mum when she had cancer, and they saw a big difference, but she struggled with bfing her son and then found it increasingly difficult to express, so she just fed her directly. Wasn't really sure what to make of that.

And no I wouldn't by breast milk from the supermarket for me, I probably would for Jacob though. But I don't buy cow's milk either!

Sorry to trail my ass in at the last. (Laptops in for repair)

What bothers me about this documentary. Isnt the actual breast feeding of the 8 year old.
Its the psychlogical attitude of the mother toward lactation.
Like talking about her husband having breast milk, the fact that the 8 year old although now loosing the physical ability to feed hasnt been mentally prepared to loose what is obviously her comforter. The seeming jealousy between the siblings. Which I know can happen in any situation.

I think you have to put huge amounts of effort into preparing your child for the 'real' world and all its stigmas/hardships/creating relationships outside of family.

I think a lot of mothers create needy/clingy children who are babied well into adulthood. I personally dont think it does them any good at all. Especially when that mother has 'extreme' views of how the world should work and what is 'normal'

Sorry to trail my ass in at the last. (Laptops in for repair)

What bothers me about this documentary. Isnt the actual breast feeding of the 8 year old.
Its the psychlogical attitude of the mother toward lactation.
Like talking about her husband having breast milk, the fact that the 8 year old although now loosing the physical ability to feed hasnt been mentally prepared to loose what is obviously her comforter. The seeming jealousy between the siblings. Which I know can happen in any situation.

I think you have to put huge amounts of effort into preparing your child for the 'real' world and all its stigmas/hardships/creating relationships outside of family.

I think a lot of mothers create needy/clingy children who are babied well into adulthood. I personally dont think it does them any good at all. Especially when that mother has 'extreme' views of how the world should work and what is 'normal'

No, I 100% agree. I don't disagree with extended BF at all but theres something about this situation that makes it a bit strange and unhealthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->