Very painful ribcage

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Rose1983, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Rose1983

Rose1983 Active Member

Hi guys,

does any one suffer from really bad rib cage pain especially on the right, im worried as i get very sharp pain there:cry:

2. punk_pig

punk_pig Guest

Not sure about sharp pain in a specific area but "rib band pain" can be a sign of HELLP (similar to pre-eclampsia) so best to mention it to your doc/midwife.

My only rib pain was when LO stretched out and her feet pushed in to my ribs. It eased when I sat up very straight and was worse if I had to lean forward.

3. nikkinoo36

nikkinoo36 Well-Known Member

It's fairly common apparently.. There is a thread from earlier today that ladies were commenting on, including me,. I get it terribly bad, but more on the left particularly in the evening. It's a nightmare. Apparently its to do with your organs rearranging for the uterus and pushing against your ribs.
    Mine is worse after I eat.. which makes complete sense if that above is the case...
    Try lifting arms above head and twisting your upper body gently, gaviscon, sitting on birthing ball, gentle walking and eating smaller meals.. These things seem to work for me. But at night it can be agony!!!!
    x

4. MrsN

MrsN Well-Known Member

Yep, I've had this for weeks, intense pain under my right rib, I've been in tears its so bad. My midwife has said its because I'm only quite small (5ft) and baby is stretched out lengthways rather than pushing out in front. It has got slightly easier the last couple of weeks, but I can completely sympathise with you. The only slight relief I get it to almost push my tummy out when im sat down, so arching my back, but that does nothing for your posture! Hope it eases soon xx

5. xsadiex

xsadiex Well-Known Member

I know the feeling! I once cracked one of my ribs and it feels a bit like that...really hurts when I strain. I have no idea what can help it though to be honest. x

6. Sketcher

Sketcher Well-Known Member

Yep mines on right to, just suddenly starts in afternoon.
    Really annoying.
    X