Weird things you did during labour...

fingers_cross

Reaction score
Just a funny light-hearted thread..what funny or strange things did u say or do during ur labour?

I gave birth at my sisters flat (was closer to hospital than my place) and had brought a big plastic bowl with me for the car journey as i was feeling sick (as was sure id be sick as im a sicky person) and the WHOLE way through my labour (during contractions) i leaned up against the wall (in the corner of the room lol) with my head on the wall and the bowl between my chest bones and wall and my hands spread out on the wall lol. at one point near the end i made a loud deep groaning noise into the bowl...i obviously was too out of it at the time but supposedly my mum, sister and the two midwives all looked at each other and had a giggle!lol. I put the bowl down once between a contraction and i felt another coming on and started shouting "my bowl..give me my bowl" and got myself into my position lol. i gave birth in the same position..standing up against the wall.

i also kept burping and apologising through the whole thing!haha.

what about u ladies?

Haha, that made me giggle! Good story. :)

I was induced at 9 days over and nothing went to plan, I didn't dilate at all despite having mega contractions and then baby had a couple of heart rate dips, so it was off to a caesarean. That sounds dramatic right? Wrong! It was completely boring! We had to wait for ages as there was a queue of women who needed a caesarean that night and many were more urgent than my case. Baby was being continuously monitored and I wasn't too worried about him despite the couple of dips he had, so I dialed up the epidural as high as it could go and... played solitaire on my iPhone for a couple of hours! :lol:

I remember saying to my midwife that I did not expect to be playing solitaire in the middle of having a baby and she just laughed her head off. It was such a weird turn of events. And to top it off OH had a really bad cold and basically sat in a chair in the room trying not to cough all over the sterile equipment and he even had a nap while we were waiting. Not exactly drama central! Haha.

I cannot play solitaire now without thinking of being in labour. It totally got me through the waiting!

I had a spinal in theatre for my emcs. They lay me down and I touched my leg. It felt so weird as could feel it with my hand but my leg could not feel my hand. I decides to announce to the whole theatre that "my leg feels like a sausage". My husband is still laughing about it! No idea what possessed me to say it.

I pooped all through pushing and I could feel it. Everyone said you wouldn't know, but I did and was embarrassed. Oh well, what are you gonna do, right?

However, I pooped so much during pushing that I didn't go again for like a week after I gave birth, so it was nice to not have to do that right after giving birth, it gave me a little time to heal. Although pooping after giving birth is pretty horrible too.... Sorry, I guess my comment hasn't eased any of your fears at all.... My bad...

Whilst I was labouring at home it wa the middle of the night, oh was asleep and I was struggling through, everytime a contraction happened I felt the need to stand up, but I also knew I needed to try my hardest to sleep (it didn't happen I was awake for 48 hrs) so I decided to go into the living room and get te sofa bed out as apparently that made sense.

I was also pretty quiet throughout the majority of my labour. I just went into myself and concentrated.

During pushing It felt like I was pushing a poo out (as it does) and the poo felt stuck and it was annoying me so I asked the midwife to move it :/ I was told it wasn't poo but Los head. Oh ok.

I had a home birth and kept getting into bed to lie down and rest.. Every time i had a contraction I would run straight to the bathroom and sit on the toilet! I also kept asking the midwife if I'd pooed myself...! X

Haha. Nothing crazy. But I did constantly apologise through the whole thing. Even stuff like "please can you open your legs a little wider?" "SORRY, I'M SORRY" and constantly said "sorry or shouting". I didn't swear or anything out of hand, and just took gas and air rather than any drugs as that was one of my worries (not controlling my actions or mouth). They kept saying "it's ok why are you apologising?" but I did it throughout the whole thing.

Also after shouting particuarly a lot through a certain contraction, I turned to OH after it and in a completely normal, civilised calm voice said "I know I'm shouting , but I'm okay". Everyone laughed, but I just didn' t want him to worry too much about what was going on because surely me shouting was scary.

I was going on about a particularly nice roast potato I'd had?

Asked if lo's hair was ginger (dh is!)

And asked dh not to let me take anymore than 3puffs on gas and air as I was getting seriously high on it and anymore than 3 I was just abusing it!!!

Lol those responses made me laugh.

I just had gas and air and was shockingly quiet - no screaming or shouting (which is unheard of for me as I've been known to shed a tear over a paper cut!!!!). Just before I had my daughter though, I started talking about Reese Witherspoon, and how my LO would share the same birthday as her son (which was crazy as he'd been born about 5 days earlier)! I think I'd heard it on TV that she'd had her baby! DH said it was so funny cos I was acting as though "maybe they'll be friends"!!!

ETA: I had been in labour a few hours before going to hospital (I was 8cm dilated when I got there), and had been really sick. My mum was in the house with me and I insisted on showering and having a full face of make up on before I left the house!!! Soooo vain!!! Weird cos I'm not normally that worried about how I look and I'm pretty low maintenance?!!

Haha good stories :haha:

I was out of my head on pethidine and gas & air and I said to OH "you can put that in the garage". He said "put what in the garage?" I said "THAT!" Pointing to the chair "you can put the Aston Martin in the garage" He said "that's a chair". Then I realised I was talking complete rubbish and said "oh yea, no its ok, don't worry about it". Lol. We don't have an Aston Martin and are never likely to have one either! So I have no idea where that came from. I kept coming out with alsorts which made no sense, but I knew I was saying it and would think "what am I talking about? This makes no sense"!

I was puffing on gas and air looking at the ceiling and I took it out of my mouth and told my OH "I feel like I'm in Resident Evil 13" and also said "It's like I'm having an outer body experience watching myself on One Born Every Minute". Too many drugs :haha:

Haha these are funny stories!

Apparently i was the most polite labouring woman ever constantly saying please and thank you and trying to order a new york chicken and jacket potato from the midwife whilst in the birthing pool!

I was bleeding when I arrived at the hospital and the midwife told me to go to the toilet. I left the toilet door open and the midwife said that there were people about to walk past so to shut the door. I was in so much pain and I said 'do you really think I care?!' She said 'no, but THEY will!'

I kept throwing up every few hours.

I loved the gas and air and announced to the midwife that I was 'f*****g p****d!' And she looked very shocked!

I kept warning the midwife that when it was time to push I might fart a lot! :haha:

The injection to get the placenta out didn't work and I asked if I could push it out. They said I could have a go and I did it on the first push. It FLEW out, the midwife just caught it in the bowl, getting splattered in the process!

Special mention also has to go to my dog! My waters broke on the wooden floor in the house, and just as we were leaving to go to the hospital we noticed him licking up my waters! :sick: :rofl:

I got induced after going too long without my waters and after I'd had pethadine and G&A I was out of it but apparently I kept asking for them to put Magic FM on and they kept saying the didn't have that station but eventually had to just put any radio station on to shut me up. Then Lady Gaga's On the Edge of Glory came on and I apparently I was rocking at the edge of the bed saying "She's on the edge? I'm on the f**king edge, get this baby out of me!" I do vaguely remember lol

Demanded to eat a big box of jelly babies just after I gave birth to izzy cause they wouldn't let me eat anything leading up to it then literally 5 seconds later covered myself midwife and isabelle in sick! Woops

I was in a lot of pain an trying to get through it by breating, however my mum and OH we're talking about going get some food because they were hungry, they both stood up and I shouted
'Sit down don't leave me'
They both sat back down, then they continued to talk which annoyed me because I couldn't talk haha so I shouted
'Go get something if you want'
They both stood up again
'Nooo don't leave me'
Both sat down
'If your hungry just go'
Both stood up again
'Wait wait wait it hurts it hurts'
Both sat down again lol. The midwifes were stood in stitches at the other end of the room. I must confess I did let them eat eventually lol. Always makes me giggle thinking about it now.

Haha these are funny stories!

Apparently i was the most polite labouring woman ever constantly saying please and thank you and trying to order a new york chicken and jacket potato from the midwife whilst in the birthing pool!

Its not that weird but i sat in the labour room on a ball at about 7/8cm dilated eating harribo sweets in between contractions! I guess thats a bit weird. :)

What makes it even weirder is that i realised that on my wedding day ( nearly 2 years before) i sat in my hotel room getting my hair and make up done eating the same type of sweets! So on the two biggest days of my life i was eating the same sweets! :)

Lol the only thing I remember doing is yelling 'my sh*t is coming out!!' When really it was my babys head coming out lool

I had a fairly traumatic labour ending in a general anesthetic and EMCS, but while labouring I was in love with the gas and air. It made me laugh though and I apparently spent two hours giggling non stop. Then when I was very much in established labour I needed a wee. The only way I could position myself to go was to have a bed pan balanced on a stool with me straddling it. I went and then refused to get off it as it was the comfiest position I had been in for hours. The midwife kept trying to take it away to empty it and DH said that every time she came near I growled at her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->