When did you introduce a 12 hr sleep?

kat08

Reaction score
Hi all

My LO currently has bath, bottle and is put down at 8pm. We then wake him up (tried dream feeding and usually wake him up anyway!) and feed him again between 10.30 and 11 and he then sleeps until 6/6.30am which is fantastic. He sometimes wakes up once or twice during the night but settles again with his dummy - at night is the only time we use a dummy.

Just wondering at what point you all dropped the 10.30/11 feed expecting LO to go from 7 til 7 for example. I'm not thinking of doing this anytime soon but wondered when I should expect to do it as currently I am waking LO for his feed at 10.30/11 he isn't waking for it - although obviously if I didn't feed him at this time I'm sure he would wake up soon after.

Info on your routines and when you dropped the feed would be great!

I wouldn't wake him unless there's a good reason. How old is he? Daisy went 8 hours by 7-8 weeks and I think 12 hours around 3 months. Let sleeping babies lie IMO! He'll wake if he's hungry.

The only thing I'm worried about is during the night I settle him with his dummy and I'm a bit worried that I might be doing that when he actually wants feeding if I don't do the 10.30/11pm feed! He is only 2 months old so am expecting we will keep up the 11pm feed for a while longer yet!

Aria sleeps from 8ish to 6am, today 8 till 8! She dropped her night feed at about 6 weeks and has slept through for about 3 weeks.

If u wake Lo to feed u are sort of programming him to expect a feed at this time when he might be ready to sleep through.

Xxx

Just a thought but if ur Lo is anything like mine, If hungry and I try to give her the dummy she will soon let me know it isn't what she wants.

Mm, my niece was born on 13th Nov and she sleeps 9-6 and has a feed at 6 then sleeps til 9. I personally wouldn't wake him to feed him, particularly at the same time every night, for fear it would become a habit that was hard to break. But plenty of people do and it sounds like he's sleeping great already! I think it's just personal preference :kiss:

Hmm yes I see what you mean about conditioning him to expect a feed at 10.30/11 ish. Just a bit worried that if I don't feed him at this time he might wake up in the middle of the night and the nice little routine we have going might go a bit haywire!

Omar dropped his night feed at 12 weeks & he started to sleep through with no feeds for 12-13 hrs. All what I did is offering him his dummy instead of a feed. If he used to stay awake for more than 20 mins, I used to give him a night feed.

That makes sense I guess if he stays awake more than 20 mins he must be hungry!!

You could maybe try not waking him one night, and see how he does?
xx

I would try it and see what happens. If he wakes later in the night hungry and it is disturbing your sleep then he obviously isnt ready to drop the 10.30 feed. Its a bit of trial and error sometimes with these lovely babies!!

ugh jealous. I'm no where NEAR dropping the dream feed, Kitty goes to bed at 7 dream feed at 10 and still wakes for a feed at 2.30 ish then we're up at 6. I thought this was good until I read this thread LOL!

Guidelines say my LO should be having 5 bottles of 6oz atm a day, depending when she wakes she has 5 or 6. I always make sure she has min of 5 but if her last one is due at 830 then I tend to feed her at 11 as she will wake at 5ish maybe 6 at a push. If her last one is at 930 say I won't bother with the feed and she usually sleeps through til 7. He will wake if he's hungry though. Isabella is due a bottle now (8pm) but I'm going to give her a bath and try and string it out til 830-9 so it's her last feed before bed. X

ugh jealous. I'm no where NEAR dropping the dream feed, Kitty goes to bed at 7 dream feed at 10 and still wakes for a feed at 2.30 ish then we're up at 6. I thought this was good until I read this thread LOL!

was just thinking the same thing!! charlie's just had 2 nights of having a block of 5 hrs and i was soooo thrilled till i read this thread i'm so jealous!! charlie's B/F maybe that's what's making the difference? anyway hun, if he's hungry i'm sure he'll let you know, charlie will spit out his dummy if he's hungry and keep crying or grizzling so i know he's ready for a feed. what you're doing is fab though, i don't think we had molly in a routine like that till she was around 4 months! x

Hmm yes I see what you mean about conditioning him to expect a feed at 10.30/11 ish. Just a bit worried that if I don't feed him at this time he might wake up in the middle of the night and the nice little routine we have going might go a bit haywire!
Unfortunately babies make their own routine! I'm still waiting for a 12 hour sleep :coffee:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, but a regular 5 hour block of sleep is my dream and he's never come close to 12 hours at night (even including the wakings).

I was worried at first with aria. I was convinced that because she was goin to sleep so early but touch hairy wood she never has! On a very few occasions she has woken, I've given her the dummy and within minutes she's asleep. If she was hungry she would never fall asleep believe me, i have a hungry little baba most other times.

I'd deg try not giving the feed just for one night. Aria will fight sleep and so often I've been tempted to get her back up for feed just in case but have persevered with sshhing and she always always goes to sleep now. I've not had to get her up once since she started 3 weeks ago. u can only try!

Good luck.

Xxx

I would give it a go for a night and see what happens. At that stage we would feed Madeline about 10.30-11 as we went to bed and she would sleep until 4.
She has been sleeping 7pm-8am from about 4.5 months old - she dropped the 4am feed at about 10/12 weeks, but would still wake for her dummy or because she couldn't settle herself back to sleep until she started on solids. It's all trial and error, so I would try not waking him one night and see what happens. x

I tried a dreamfeed for a few days - bedtime at 7pm, dreamfeed at 10pm. LO would then normally go 3 or 4 hours until the next feed and then 3 or 4 hours until the next. Last night I decided to leave the dreamfeed and he went a record 6 hours from 7pm until 1am. I am wondering if I continue to leave out the dreamfeed if this will just get longer and longer. He has bad reflux so I was advised to give his system a "rest" rather than topping it up when he's not asking for food.
It's night 2 of no dreamfeed so I wonder what he will do...

Isabella started sleeping through from 7/8 weeks. She has her last bottle at 7.00pm then bed at half past and sleeps all the way through till at least 7.30am! Weve never had to do a dream feed. IMO i wouldnt wake a baby to feed, if hes hungry he'll let you know!

Can I add, Daisy doesn't have a night feed and stays upstairs for 12 hours but definitely doesn't sleep all of those hours :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->