Who has circumcised their little boy?

As for medication, I'd MUCH rather use local anaesthetic than any form of medication or general anaesthetic. :shrug:

Ok, how would you locally anaesthetise the penis of a baba who's already squirming and prob crying? I don't mean to offend. I agree that giving an unneccessary general anaethetic in an under one poses risks, other than a spinal anaesthetic, there's no other way I could think to do it.

Sorry again if this offends, if it does, I'll slink away and post no more. xxx

It's only a gel to numb the area (well this is what they used for Omar) & he was sleeping during the whole thing. I was there & he wasn't even bothered. He screamed when he had his second jabs (wasnt bothered by the 1st set) & it was a single quick shot & he had the same local cream on his thighs (was adivised to use it by his Dr to numb the area before his jabs).

Comparing the two procedures, he was in much much more pain when he had his jabs, he couldnt feed or sleep & was crying non stop for 2 days because of the pain & was on calpol every 3 hrs because of them.

Some people think that giving vaccines is also not necessary, it's also exposing LO to "unnessesary pain" & it can be done when they'r older & they can decide for themselves. For some circ is not a necessary procedure, but for others it's an easier way to maitain hygeine & cleanliness at an early age

As for medication, I'd MUCH rather use local anaesthetic than any form of medication or general anaesthetic. :shrug:

Ok, how would you locally anaesthetise the penis of a baba who's already squirming and prob crying? I don't mean to offend. I agree that giving an unneccessary general anaethetic in an under one poses risks, other than a spinal anaesthetic, there's no other way I could think to do it.

Sorry again if this offends, if it does, I'll slink away and post no more. xxx

You're not offending at ALL and thanks for your questions which are polite and genuinely enquiring. :flower:

I know that there is no way I would allow them to proceed without making sure the local anaesthetic was applied liberally and as well as I could ensure followed by a small wait. I'm the type of person who wont let the dentist proceed till I've told him "when" and I'd do the same with the rabbi (I'd use the same one as my brother did with his son; he was amazing!) if I were to ever have a son and if at that time I chose to have him circumcised.

Aside from any of the myriad other issues, one stat I read recently that threw this subject into sharp focus was that in the US, approximately 117 baby boys die each year from complications of circumcision surgery. In comparison, 115 die from SIDS. I found that hugely shocking and tragic. :cry:

Aside from any of the myriad other issues, one stat I read recently that threw this subject into sharp focus was that in the US, approximately 117 baby boys die each year from complications of circumcision surgery. In comparison, 115 die from SIDS. I found that hugely shocking and tragic. :cry:

:shock:

:shock::cry:
xx

Don't know where the stats came from, but that's why I argue that, whilst I don't personally like circumcision, it must be done with great care and by people adequately trained and qualified to carry out the procedure.

Its so common where I'm from that when I first saw an uncircumcised penis I thought it was weird and gross! Every other penis I've ever seen was circumcised... I had my son done and it didn't seem to cause him any pain at all. He was numbed with EMLA cream before the procedure, the same stuff I used when I got my wrist tattoo and I didn't feel a thing!

I actually had no idea people put their babies through surgery for this procedure.

My husband is due to medical reasons, but it never even occurred to me having it don't to Jack.

Unless you are very strongly religious I do not see why you would?

Whilst not to diminish the tragedy of even one baby dying, I'm not sure where you got your information on SIDS numbers from?

The latest stats I could find on a cursory Google search were from 2004. The National Center for Health Statistics reported 2,246 deaths from SIDS in the USA. It didn't say what proportion of them were boys, but I find it hard to believe that only 115 baby boys died as opposed to 2, 131 girls.

It is awful to consider that any baby could die as a result of complication from any procedure (whether a person feels it is a necessary procedure or not). But having incorrect information when it comes to emotive issues like this isn't usually all that helpful.

a lot of places do not put the babies to sleep to preform circumsision a lot of them just put numbing cream on, which is better then nothing, sadly nothing at all is how most practices do it. it kills me to know that its done that way, but i am a very sensative and emotional person and i tend to think carefully about how people and animals will react/feel with certain things.

people think that a circumsied penis is more hygenic or cleaner then an uncircumsied penis and i think thats a huge problem with why people have it done. Its completely untrue.

most men in the UK are NOT circumsied, infact growing up i didnt know ANYONE who had the procedure. not a single person in my family or school were circumsied nor anyone i knew. Did any of them have problems or infections or smell? nope not that im aware of! It just takes the parents teaching their little boys the correct AND safe way to clean their penis that stops the very things people are so worried about.

my husband is the first man i knew in my life that was circumsized. i let him choose the decision on our son because i knew hed make the "right" one in my opinion, mainly because i asked him to reseach and read up. He like many didnt realise that circumsision isnt preformed in many other countries. He soon realised that that meant hygine and cleanliness werent a problem. and if not medically necessary why put LO through that?

I think more people need to research circumsision befoe deciding to do it, that way they may learn something new, make a better informed decision, including asking for pain medication for their LO should they choose to get it done.

I actually had no idea people put their babies through surgery for this procedure.

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean. How else would you amputate a foreskin?

a lot of places do not put the babies to sleep to preform circumsision a lot of them just put numbing cream on, which is better then nothing, sadly nothing at all is how most practices do it. it kills me to know that its done that way, but i am a very sensative and emotional person and i tend to think carefully about how people and animals will react/feel with certain things.

Why do they need to put a 3-4 day old baby to sleep for a minor procedure that can be done with a numbing cream? I dont think those who didnt have their LOs' circ can judge if it's painful or not. As I mentioned earlier, his jabs were more painful than his circ (which he wasnt even bothered by it)

Whilst not to diminish the tragedy of even one baby dying, I'm not sure where you got your information on SIDS numbers from?

The latest stats I could find on a cursory Google search were from 2004. The National Center for Health Statistics reported 2,246 deaths from SIDS in the USA. It didn't say what proportion of them were boys, but I find it hard to believe that only 115 baby boys died as opposed to 2, 131 girls.

It is awful to consider that any baby could die as a result of complication from any procedure (whether a person feels it is a necessary procedure or not). But having incorrect information when it comes to emotive issues like this isn't usually all that helpful.

You were right to pull me up on that - I wasn't clear enough. The figures are specifically for male neonates - up to 28 days old.

The article abstract:
Baby boys can and do succumb as a result of having their foreskin removed. Circumcision-related mortality rates are not known with certainty; this study estimates the scale of this problem. This study finds that approximately 117 neonatal circumcision-related deaths (9.01/100,000) occur annually in the United States, about 1.3% of male neonatal deaths from all causes. Because infant circumcision is elective, all of these deaths are avoidable. This study also identifies reasons why accurate data on these deaths are not available, some of the obstacles to preventing these deaths, and some solutions to overcome them.
https://www.mensstudies.com/content/b64n267w47m333x0/?p=67125ca5f2eb4a2db94d14fbbbb81779&pi=5

By numbing it and snipping it (sorry if that upsets!). I think that's a FAR more common way of having it done. That's what Rabbis do and that's what every Muslim family I know does. :shrug: I've never heard up until this point today of little babies being put in surgery for the procedure. But then I suppose I don't spend a lot of time talking about circumcision. :shrug:

plasti bell using a ring with some numbing cream & the bell will pop out by itself after the skin is dead by it's own. Non surgical

By numbing it and snipping it (sorry if that upsets!). I think that's a FAR more common way of having it done. That's what Rabbis do and that's what every Muslim family I know does. :shrug: I've never heard up until this point today of little babies being put in surgery for the procedure. But then I suppose I don't spend a lot of time talking about circumcision. :shrug:

Numbing it and snipping it is surgery. I think you're using "surgery" as a term to refer only to procedures under general anaesthetic? Most circumcisions are performed with no anaesthesia or local anaesthesia. It's still a surgical procedure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->