Would you let someone use your babies cot?

Yes I would let someone use my sons beds for a night or two, especially my nephew. I wouldn't associate one night of my nephew in their cot the same as it being then second hand

I don't see the big deal....I guess if it matters that much just let your baby take a nap in the crib so he got to sleep in there first.
I have traveled with a baby sleeping in a travel play pen, and it's not fun....I would never make my niece or nephew sleep in one of those while I had a perfectly good crib.

I also don't see a problem in a niece or nephew sleeping in my LO's cot. I would be hurt to be honest if my brother's would not let my LO sleep in one of their cots.

I totally hear ya. I wouldn't want another kid using my daughter's nursery and cot before she does. It might be petty but I would say no. I think it's bold of them to expect you to. I don't know much about sleeping two year olds but aren't there more options when they get older.

What a first world problem this is! Sorry but it just seems a bit petty to me and really should be a non-issue especially where family is concerned.

What a first world problem this is! Sorry but it just seems a bit petty to me and really should be a non-issue especially where family is concerned.

Thank you for pointing this out! It really is! Sometimes we forget how incredibly spoiled we are, and then you think on less fortunate countries that may not even HAVE a crib, let alone a pack and play.

Thank you for pointing this out! It really is! Sometimes we forget how incredibly spoiled we are, and then you think on less fortunate countries that may not even HAVE a crib, let alone a pack and play.

that is quite rude, just because it's an issue that it doesn't seem important to you doesn't mean that it can't be an important issue for her. You remind me of my mother who was always ill so when us kids were sick it was never as bad as hers so we shouldn't complain.

Same could be said why do you get a car when there are other more less fortunate people in the world who have to walk miles to get anywhere! or why do you argue with your spouse about where to eat out? there are people in the world starving for food and you are complaining about chinese food!! Oh? the meat is going bad in the fridge? how dare you throw it out there are people starving in africa who would die for it!!

She worked hard on being able to provide things for her child and now wants to choose how they are used. I started off my marriage with practically nothing and we decided to wait on having children till we could afford to give them the things they deserve and need in life. So I waited 4 years for all of this. and that is 4 years of dreaming and anticipating and wanting every moment to be special that fueled my ability to wait on this. While everyone else just accidentally got pregnant and winged it. So me, personally, this isn't just a "first world problem" it is something that I've worked hard for and I want every moment that I dreamed about to be just for us and not to share and be clouded by others who got to have their children before me. Everyone else got their experience and the magic isn't there for them or you anymore But no need to try and squash our want of it too.

that is quite rude, just because it's an issue that it doesn't seem important to you doesn't mean that it can't be an important issue for her. You remind me of my mother who was always ill so when us kids were sick it was never as bad as hers so we shouldn't complain.

Same could be said why do you get a car when there are other more less fortunate people in the world who have to walk miles to get anywhere! or why do you argue with your spouse about where to eat out? there are people in the world starving for food and you are complaining about chinese food!! Oh? the meat is going bad in the fridge? how dare you throw it out there are people starving in africa who would die for it!!

She worked hard on being able to provide things for her child and now wants to choose how they are used. I started off my marriage with practically nothing and we decided to wait on having children till we could afford to give them the things they deserve and need in life. So I waited 4 years for all of this. and that is 4 years of dreaming and anticipating and wanting every moment to be special that fueled my ability to wait on this. While everyone else just accidentally got pregnant and winged it. So me, personally, this isn't just a "first world problem" it is something that I've worked hard for and I want every moment that I dreamed about to be just for us and not to share and be clouded by others who got to have their children before me. Everyone else got their experience and the magic isn't there for them or you anymore But no need to try and squash our want of it too.

I absolutely was not intending to be rude, and I am actually in a very similar situation as you, believe it or not. We were married 8 yrs before we got pregnant, as we also wanted to wait until we felt financially stable after college, etc. Had 2 miscarriages. We worked very hard for everything we have, and of course we take pride in that and are very excited to have such nice things for our children. But I also think its important sometimes to step back, and humble ourselves just a bit, and think outside the box. To me, letting FAMILY use my belongings is not an issue. I love them. If it meant the difference in them coming to see me or not, I absolutely would let them use it for one night. Even if it was something I felt was special for my kids. Because having my family visit is also special. They rarely do. My in-laws do, but not my own. So personally, for myself, I just can't see not humbling my own wants enough to see the bigger picture of whether those wants are worth not having that time spent with my family.

Sorry if I offended you. It was just my own opinion, which we are all entitled to.

ETA: I commented about agreeing also because the timing of that post also really struck me. We had just had a sermon at church last week talking about how rich our nation is, and humbling ourselves to realize that even the poorest of our area that I live in are rich in comparison to 3rd world areas. We have cars, we have homes, we have jobs, we have food even if some can only afford the basics. Teh preacher had recently been on a trip to India, and the family he visited had their children living sleeping in a carboard box outside their home, because the home wasn't big enough for them all to fit inside. So honestly, it wasn't that I was trying to be offensive. It was just kind of a personal hit to me, I've really been trying to humble myself more lately and think more on others with needs, and that maybe the wants that I personally have really aren't as important as I sometimes view them to be. Just personal, really, to me.

How often they've used the travel cot first really doesnt mean much. If your toddler climbs out of their cot at nap time you've got to figure out a different arrangement before they go to bed that night. Id at least ask your brother what their reason is for not using the travel cot.

Make whatever choice you feel best about, but I think there is a good chance that a year from now you will think it was silly to feel so strongly about it.

Not rude at all...simply an opinion. I've worked hard for everything I have too. I too waited to have a child for years so I'm not ignorant to wanting things to be special but, at the same time, it wasn't like she was asked to leave the crib out on the road for strangers to use....her brother wanted to use it for her own nephew for a few nights. Ultimately, she can do whatever her heart desires but if you don't want the opinions of others than don't ask for it on an internet forum.

OP I would be like you in this situation. When I had my baby shower, my sister in law changed her one year old's diaper on my son's changing table. I was upset...although mainly it was because she didn't ask...just took him back and did it. Just assumed it would be fine.

Maybe I would feel different if he weren't my first... or if we didn't work and struggle so hard to buy each nursery item...but as it was I did not appreciate his diaper being changed on it without permission before my son was even born.

But my inlaws are cows. Absolute cows and left my house destroyed when they last visited...including paint off the walls!

I might feel different if it were my sister and her child...

OP I would be like you in this situation. When I had my baby shower, my sister in law changed her one year old's diaper on my son's changing table. I was upset...although mainly it was because she didn't ask...just took him back and did it. Just assumed it would be fine.

Maybe I would feel different if he weren't my first... or if we didn't work and struggle so hard to buy each nursery item...but as it was I did not appreciate his diaper being changed on it without permission before my son was even born.

But my inlaws are cows. Absolute cows and left my house destroyed when they last visited...including paint off the walls!

I might feel different if it were my sister and her child...

You were upset that your year niece/!nephew used your changing mat?! Clearly you have your reasons- I don't personally get them, but surely you can see how your SiL wouldn't even think it would be an issue! If you have friends round are they allowed to use your changing mat? Don't you all help each other out when you have kids, isn't that what friends are family are for?

Wouldn't bother me, especially if it meant he wouldn't be visiting otherwise.

It would bother me! I'd probably still let them though I'd just whinge about it for ages lol!

Not rude at all...simply an opinion. I've worked hard for everything I have too. I too waited to have a child for years so I'm not ignorant to wanting things to be special but, at the same time, it wasn't like she was asked to leave the crib out on the road for strangers to use....her brother wanted to use it for her own nephew for a few nights. Ultimately, she can do whatever her heart desires but if you don't want the opinions of others than don't ask for it on an internet forum.

To be fair, not wanting your 2-year-old to spend a couple of nights in a travel cot or in bed with you is also very much a "first world problem". And to not stay with family because of it, THAT's silly. It's not like there are no alternatives to the cot. I'm sure the op wouldn't deny her nephew the use of the crib if there was no viable alternatives, but there is.

It wouldn't bother me, but I've got loads of second hand things, like her high chair, some clothes, her bath seat etc which were my cousins which she gave me as hand me downs.

That kind of thing really doesn't bother me and tbh I don't think of things as her first time in relation to things being new, it would be her first time in the cot whether my brother's baby had slept in it before or not.

I get people saying about the child being two, but surely (logically even?) if you've got a two year old and you're planning on staying somewhere, where there is a baby it's just easier to ask if they can sleep in the cot that's not yet being used? I wouldn't have a blow up bed as suggested because of possible draughts on the baby and someone else said a pop up bed? Seems all a bit too much effort tbh! A travel cot fine as they're easy enough and designed to move around but I can't imagine its comfy and as someone else said, they might not sleep well in it.

Sharing is caring as they say but each to their own - everyone's entitled to their opinion and should stick to what they think is right

Xx

I just wanted to say even people who have not waited ex amount of years to have a baby can still work hard and be precious over their belongings it's not like only people who wait have more special things. Also I have a nearly two year old and there is no chance hes ready for a bed yet he would get up all night long. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it tbh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->