April ‘baby’ showers 2020

Ladies, I need help! I have THE WORST toothache and I'm going crazy! I've actually never had toothache in my life, and the last few weeks one tooth has been sporadically really sore but then fine again. Only last night it came on extemely strong and didn't go away - I've had maybe 2-3 hours sleep and it's still killing me.

The internet tells me dentists won't do work on you until you're in your 2nd trimester so I'd booked in an appointment for the 1st of October but I can't handle this pain anymore as I can't eat or sleep and as you all know, those things are very important in this condition.

Have any of you hd dental problems and/or treatment while pregnant? Should I just go to the dentist anyway? Will they maybe give me a filling without using anaesthetic? I'm 12 weeks 4 days by the way.

Maybe call your dentist and ask if they will assist you? You can’t stay in pain like this til then! GL, I hope they can do something for you

Hey All!

All good here. 10 weeks today and the nausea/vomiting is slightly improving! Was at the midwife yesterday and took bloods for our genetic testing to go with the 12 week scan. Also found out we will have weekly scanning from 30 weeks to check little ones size this time.

Oh Rose! I feel for you! My wisdom teeth decided to flare up when I was pregnant with DD. The dentist saw me but couldn’t do anything (here they try to avoid removing them at all costs due to evidence it often does more harm than good). She sent me home but due to being pregnant I could only take paracetamol. It was 4/5 days of hell but eventually went away. I also got antiseptic mouth wash and cleaned regularly to try and help. But not sure if that will help in your case!

Oh also I swear I had a Braxton Hicks yesterday! I was walking with DD and it started! I used to get them with DD from about 18 weeks when I would walk. Everything I read says you don’t get them until mid second trimester. Do you think it could have been one? It sure felt like it!

Why wont dentists treat you in first tri? Ive never heard of that. I always have awful problems with my teeth when im pregnant. Hope it passes for you.

Mother, home birth sounds lovely! I like being in hospital though for the break afterwards like you said :haha:

Sweden thats great news about weekly scans! Was your last baby small or big?

Rose I think it's worth calling them. You are days away from 2nd tri anyway. They might be able to do something. I know it isn't exactly the same, but DS3 has hollow teeth at the back and he had to have fillings and so as not to scare him they did it without numbing it. They may be able to just patch it for a week or so then do a better job once you're well in to second tri.

Smile- She was little although born full term (37 weeks) at only 4lbs (2kgs). They assume now I had much more severe preeclampsia than first thought and think that it caused growth restriction. So as it was severe there is a high possibility I’ll get it again.

Oh bless her bet she was tiny!

It was like holding a baby bird! My midwife had told me s couple of days before she predicted from feeling her through my stomach we would have a bang on average baby. But she was 44cm and teeny! So was a bit of a shock!

I bet! My cousins baby was 5lb something and he was teeny, so your baby must have been a squidge! My last baby was 9lb 13oz :dohh:

Rose I would get seen anyway. You're almost in the second tri and you need to make sure it isn't anything that needs antibiotics like an abscess. Is your face swollen up? Or gum? Have you asked about clove oil? I'm not sure if you can use it in pregnancy but for some it can provide a little relief

Omg smiley I can’t imagine a near 10lber

I just had the first meal I’ve enjoyed for like 5 weeks. Felt a bit better again today- still nauseous and occasional dry heaving but no vomiting. It was OHs birthday so we had steak this evening and I had an alcohol free beer. Thought I probably wouldn’t make it through the meal but my gosh it was SO DANG GOOD! I started crying and OH was like what’s wrong and I sobbed and said “I haven’t enjoyed food in so long and it’s so yummy” hahaha

It does! And I’ve just felt sooooo rubbish 24/7 for so long now that it felt so nice to feel normal for a moment!

Last edited:
Mother, a home birth would be exciting, I could never do it with ds and dd around though, ds is So attached I’d be giving birth holding him!
Hope your ms is starting to get better and your scan date comes through soon

Smiley, glad your booking appointment went well, I’ve been put down for a consultant appointment too due to having a haemorrhage with both previous births and strep b with the last one
Also previous pregnancy had gestational diabetes, have tested once so far and all ok so have to test again at 16 weeks
Not sure if I’m high risk yet or only if I have diabetes
Last birth I had something in the drip to prevent a haemorrhage but it didn’t work and the cannula came out, as it did with my first birth! Cue a panic to get it back in before they would deliver the placenta which we had already started!
Needless to say I still lost a litre of blood so hopefully this time it will work!

Happy, the midwives here are trying to maintain continuity of care too, I’m not sure if she meant your midwife will also be st your birth but I hope so, that would be nice, or if she’s just meant you will see the same midwife throughout your pregnancy which your kways should anyway!
When I was pregnant with ds the community midwives went down hill, not many about and couldn’t get hold of anyone when you needed to, so I’m hoping they’re changing for the better, I’m sure it wasn’t their fault personally, they were just short but it wasn’t helpful

Rose, how is your tooth ache? Sorry I can’t help but I really hope you have managed to get some relief now
How are you otherwise?

Sweden, glad you enjoyed dh birthday meal! I hope your nausea is improving now!
Aww your dd was tiny, bless her, good you will be closely monitored for pre eclampsia again

My dd was 8.2lb 2 weeks overdue
Ds was 9.15lb on his due date! But maybe he was bigger even 2 weeks earlier because of the diabetes, after 5 days he lost nearly 1lb and stuffled
To gain it back, I had to wake him up 3 hourly to feed at night as otherwise he slept. 5-7 hours in a row and the hv said breast milk has more calories at night, it was a pain, after a while we topped up with formula as he was feeding 24/7 and not gaining enough, he went from the 50th centipede down to the 9th then nearly under that, he was so small but then he started food and at his yearly check he had gone up to the 90th centile haha
We managed to breastfeed for a year but he started wanting it all the time and I wanted to stop at that point, he wasn’t even bothered surprisingly

My nausea is starting to feel better but my tiredness is still bad, I’m getting nervous for my scan on the 3rd so a week Thursday, time seems to be dragging
We go on holiday the next day so don’t know if this is why I’m more nervous in case anything is wrong,
Still having symptoms though so I have to stay positive, after having 4 scans already it feels strange not to have one!

Other symptoms I’ve had now apart from the nausea and tiredness is a nose bleed Thursday morning which I used to get when pregnant and bloody trapped wind!! This is awful if I’m in public as it’s agony and I can’t exactly say to people, it’s ok I just need to fart!! Haha, last night was awful through the night and kept me awake
Had slight heartburn but nothing that makes me need to take anything yet
Bump is definitely growing and showing through most clothes now
Managed to get a few Maxi dresses in the next sale for the holiday and some maternity leggings from next which are actually new look brand but they seem nice and long unlike my previous mothercare ones

Has anyone started thinking of names? I find boys names so hard
For girls I have:
- Hallie
- Paige
- summer

Middle name faith, but probably won’t use any of these in the end as I’m always changing my mind!
I like Leo or Lucas for a boy but dh doesn’t at the moment, he didn’t agree with dd and ds names when I first suggested them but obviously he thinks they’re perfect now, he’s just not good at picking names himself!

Hi star!

Totally hear you on the trapped wind! It’s awful! As you say in public it is dang horrible.

The tiredness is bad for me too. But I’m also struggling with waking at 2 most nights and being awake for a couple of hours. So I’m exhausted but have some type of insomnia too!

I have a long list of names for girls that I like but nothing popping out right now as a favourite. I guess Emilia, Poppy and Penelope are the faves right now but not sure. Boys I have about 10 but I’m slowly adding as I hear some. I think right now Max is my favourite as I think it works well with DDs name and dreamt we had a boy and called him that the other night. It’s strange though as it’s never a name I liked. I also like James and Oliver. Your girls names are super cute- especially Hallie. We have to really think about ours as OH is Swedish and we live here they need to work (and be pronounced) the same. So I liked Poppy last time but OH says it doesn’t really work in Swedish. Although I have lists I won’t bring up names with OH until after 20 week scan as he likes to know everything is ok before planning too much. He doesn’t want to get too attached.

Star, i lost 1100mls last time but didnt need a transfusion. The time before i lost about 600mls i think. Really gope it doesnt happen again this time. That sounds awful with the canula coming out!

Im actually still breastfeeding (he is 3 in november). He has one a day at bed time which lasts less than 5 mins before hes asleep! I was ready for stopping completely at about 9 months old but he has just never been willing to give it up. Gradually reduced over time and it works well as it is now but defo want to stop before the new baby comes.

We have briefly spoken about baby names but we have different tastes in names so its always difficult. Having 3 boys already i feel as though i have previously looked at every boys name under the sun and nothing is jumping out at me.

Hi Star :)
Yeah they meant they hope you have the same mw you had throughout pregnancy during labour and birth too, but should they not be available you will have met the whole team so you will be familiar with whoever it is.
Although I'm worried they will put me as high risk because I'm 2.5st overweight. I still haven't managed to lose the excess weight from last year. I want the option of home birth too. Although I think we will go along with whatever we want regardless, providing the baby and me are both otherwise healthy and there isn't any good reason to avoid home birth.

It sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare with your previous birth, that must have been frightening.
I hope it goes smoothly this time for you!
My babies have been DS1 7lb 5oz, DS2 6lb 6oz, DD 5lb 13oz & DS3 7lb 4oz. All normal, straight forward births. I had pre-eclampsia with my first but went into labour naturally, had that evil drip to encourage contractions after a while but otherwise a normal labour and birth and DS1 was fine.

We have been thinking Noah if it's a boy. We actually agreed immediately on that which is unlike us! However I think it's a girl. And for once we are both stuck on girl names. We have a few we like... Or rather I do.
Lilac
Mary
Blue
Petal
Chloe
Clover
And there are more but I can't remember now! We too like Faith for a middle name :D

Sweden, my niece is a Poppy. We quite liked the flower theme and was going to call DD Lily but didn't in the end, instead calling her Amy. At the time you were hearing Lily everywhere.

Smiley I can't imagine Castiel giving up the boob at the moment. He's 10 months and still has fairly frequent feeds from me. He will seek out a boob too, he pulls my top down haha

Smiley, well done on the breastfeeding! I had to stop before starting ivf treatment, even though my periods had returned I couldn’t start whilst breastfeeding and didn’t want to wait too much longer

Sweden, your names are so cute too, love Emilia, I was having the insomnia about 3-4am but seems to be getting better, just the trapped wind keeping me awake instead lol

Happy, ds middle name is Noah, although I’m kind of regretting it now as if we have a boy I could have used it as a first name instead of using up my 2 favourite boys names already!
Dd middle name is hope so I think faith goes well with that (not that it needs to lol)

Both births were similar, induced with both, lost a litre of blood with both, cannula came out at the end with both and had an episiotomy with both! Would like to avoid all those things this time around! Would love a water birth, just have to hope I don’t get diabetes and don’t go overdue then I won’t have to be induced if everything else is ok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->