April ‘baby’ showers 2020

Mother, hope you can get some childcare sorted, it’s hard isn’t it trying to work out appointments, we’re not allowed to take children to scans with us at all
When they done my appointments at the 12 week scan I had to ask for everything on a mon or thurs morning when they’re not in pre school and childminders, only pain about that is that’s when I work so missing a few days!
Next tues I have consultant but only have ds so I don’t mind just taking him, was meant to be yesterday but we have 2 weeks half term so cancelled yesterday

I don’t plant on buying a lot, have so much already, Rose we probably seem prepared as we already have baby bits but with dd (my first) I hadn’t started buying until after the 20 week scan, don’t panic you will get everything you need in time!

Sweden, I don’t know how I’m going to resist at the 20 week scan lol
I’m hoping I just don’t see something and realise myself! I think they turn your screen off if something is obvious and you don’t want to know!

My letter said not to take children to the scans but when I went at 12 weeks I saw quite a lot of people with children there so I figured that won't actually turn you away if it comes to it. I don't really want to take them just in case there's an issue or something.

Rose believe me I'm so not organised. We got rid of most of the baby stuff gradually as after so long TTC I figured it wasn't going to happen. I think there's a pram but it's more for older children in the garage, then I have bags of boys clothes as that was the one thing I couldn't part with unless they were stained or worn out. There's so much I haven't got like a moses basket, blankets, nappies, a pram from birth, I want to baby wear too so something for that. The list goes on. 24 weeks to go here and it doesnb feel long at all. There's Halloween, bonfire night, DH birthday, our wedding anniversary, Christmas and new year, ds1 birthday, ds3 birthday and then bam I'm buying Easter eggs in a mad panic in case the baby shows up early :haha:

Yes strictly no children here. They will send you away. Also absolutely restricted to one adult to accompany you. I’ve been told it’s because its incase there is a problem. I.e. this is a medical check not a social event to see baby! In my opinion it’s a bit too strict here but I also like to have that moment with OH to ourselves without pressure that others want to come along! So for me I like the rules as it’s the way I want it.

Rose- do not feel stressed! I didn’t buy anything until 20 weeks with DD. I did have the nursery all done by 30 weeks but then we decided to buy a new house and move 2 weeks before due date so all that prep was for nothing! Then DD showed up the day after we moved. To be honest, with the age of online shopping and next day delivery I don’t think you need to be overly prepared. Some clothes, a car seat, a bassinets and a sling we’re all I needed in the first few weeks! And the sling I didn’t pre-buy but bought it on the way home from the hospital after realising I didn’t like to put DD down and liked having her close!

Star- yes just be clear you don’t want to know and then they can steer clear of potty parts whilst you are watching!

As much as I want to buy, I'm going to wait until after Christmas anyway as there is so much to buy before then. So just something small on Friday and may be one thing once we know the gender and that'll be it until January at which point I'll be at least 25 weeks.

I just realised I don't just need baby stuff, I need things for me. Breast pads, maternity pads, new bras!

I’m getting maternity bras next week, I’m still wearing the ones I got with dd and she’s 4 next month lol

I'm just wearing normal bras or sports bras at the moment. I think I'm just going to go sports bra as long as possible and then get nursing bras to keep costs down

I survived with a couple of larger normal bras with DD and hoping to do the same this time.

I’m obsessed with spicy food right now. Like literally all I want is hot sauce and preferably with cheese. I had the same with DD, although not this strong and early but makes me really think I’m having another girl.

I'm big on spicy food too this time, but have been since early on. I've got some spicy cheese from asda it's amazing

I'm big on spicy food too this time, but have been since early on. I've got some spicy cheese from asda it's amazing

Way to make a girl jealous mother!! Haha! Id be flying over to the uk now for it if I could! But I’m not allowed to fly this pregnancy. Darn!

I'd offer to post you some if I thought it would still be safe to eat when it arrived :haha:

Just to warn those of you in the UK, there's a warning out for houmous, various places, because of possible salmonella. I shall post the link that lists all the supermarkets.

Updated: Zorba Delicacies Limited recalls various houmous products because of the possible presence of salmonella

I hope everyone is OK! Who is still having a surprise and who's finding out the gender?

I love spicy food too but I'm getting such awful heartburn.

Anyone know if dehydration can cause there to be trace protein and leukocytes in urine sample?

Thanks for that, I did recently have some from Asda but I think I'm good as the use by on mine had been yesterday and that all looks to be use by the 3rd onwards.
I've no idea on the urine thing I'm afraid, I would imagine that it *could* mean that they were in a higher concentration as there wasn't as much urine to dilute them and so they'd appear high, but that's just me guessing.

I've had heartburn on and off too. I don't usually get it so early, and usually it begins as a night time/laying down thing but I just seem to get it for a few minutes at a time at various points in the day

Happy sorry I don’t know about the urine either, hopefully someone will know or midwife
We’ve booked a gender scan for 1st Dec, 10 days after my 20 week scan so will try not to spot anything in that one! That way we can find out with dd with us

Happy, no clue about that urine thing. Do you think it's an issue?

Thanks everyone for reasurring me about not being prepared! I figure January when everything's on sale and it's really quiet at work I'll start doing something about it... Anyone got tips about useless stuff to buy? Like things you think you need but actually don't

Very proud of myself for having kept the gender secret for so long. I literally haven't told a single person I know it's a boy! OH has no clue I know at all. I'm excited for those of you who are going to find out soon as well :)

Sorry happy I have no idea either!

We still haven’t decided if we will find out gender. My OH wants too where as I don’t. But I’m certain it’s another girl (although I keep saying he weirdly when talking to DD about them)! I’m guessing we will find out as I think it makes it real for OH when he knows gender.

Rose- my one I couldn’t have survived without is the baby ktan sling. DD lived in it. I think it varies soooooo much between babies though. As so many people told me to buy a baby nest and I think DD spent like 30mins in total in there. She had severe reflux though so she hated lying flat. Definitely get an ear thermometer, we had a forehead one and it was rubbish. I think the one thing I consistently hear people say are good buys and was for me was a baby Björn babysitter bouncer. Never met anyone who didn’t use theirs!

I think my main tip is don’t go overboard on the non-essentials and buy those as you find you need them..

Basically you need something for baby to wear, blankets, nappies and wipes. The other stuff depends on how you want to do things.
Where will baby sleep? (Cot, crib, moses, bed sharing, and appropriate size sheets)
How do you travel? (Car seat? Pram? Baby wearing?)
How do you plan to feed? (Breast or bottle? Sterilizer and milk if bottle. Maybe some pots to carry powder to make up milk when out)
Do you want to use a dummy?
Do you feel secure bathing baby in the big bath or sink or do you want a baby bath?
A bag to carry babies things when out, this doesn't need to be an expensive baby bag, just a large normal bag.
I'd say even a changing mat isn't essential. The number of times I've changed them on my lap or just on the sofa rather than getting the mat is unreal. Particularly after the first couple of weeks.
I wouldn't say you need a nappy bin unless you live in a flat/apartment then it might be too smelly to put in your bin and too lengthy to take it out to the shoot/big bins.

Been Christmas shopping with my niece. Didn't end up picking up my first baby item though as couldn't find anything neutral other than plain white vests.

Happy, no clue about that urine thing. Do you think it's an issue?

Thanks everyone for reasurring me about not being prepared! I figure January when everything's on sale and it's really quiet at work I'll start doing something about it... Anyone got tips about useless stuff to buy? Like things you think you need but actually don't

Very proud of myself for having kept the gender secret for so long. I literally haven't told a single person I know it's a boy! OH has no clue I know at all. I'm excited for those of you who are going to find out soon as well :)

It could be since it can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. Hoping it isn't anything though.

We had our scan, it was brilliant. Baby was wriggling about a lot so didn't get amazing 4D photos but that wasn't the purpose of the scan anyway.
Measuring a little on the smaller side but within normal the sonographer said. I think Castiel was measuring smaller at first then must have had a growth spurt because he was measuring spot on with the next scan.

Anyway, decided to find out the gender as I have felt so detached, my husband thought it may help and he was right. Didn't really have a preference. Thought a girl would be nice as I have had three boys and one girl so another girl would even it out a little more, but at the same time a boy would also be wonderful because Castiel would have someone he may relate to more. Although I'm sure he will bond with his little sister just fine too - we are having a girl! <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->