breast pumping?

i was asked when i was admitted on to the ward during labour and it was written in my notes xxx

I actually don't know hardly anyone who breast feeds. My cousins gf had her baby like 4-5 days ago and she's breast feeding but that is the only person I know.

They have posters up and stuff, but its more of a "do it if you want to" thing. Here at least, thats how it is. My doctor just asked me what I wanted to do and I said breast feed and he was just like "oh okay"

Do you guys have breastfeeding clinics or coaches there? We have clinics and classes that teach how to breastfeed. My mother is a Health Visitor and runs her own breastfeeding clinic, so I'll probably be getting my tips from her.

I actually don't know hardly anyone who breast feeds. My cousins gf had her baby like 4-5 days ago and she's breast feeding but that is the only person I know.

They have posters up and stuff, but its more of a "do it if you want to" thing. Here at least, thats how it is. My doctor just asked me what I wanted to do and I said breast feed and he was just like "oh okay"

Do you guys have breastfeeding clinics or coaches there? We have clinics and classes that teach how to breastfeed. My mother is a Health Visitor and runs her own breastfeeding clinic, so I'll probably be getting my tips from her.

I've never heard of one, but I could be mistaken. This is NL I'm talking about though, not the rest of Canada. I'm sure there's breast feeding things in other provinces

I've never heard of one, but I could be mistaken. This is NL I'm talking about though, not the rest of Canada. I'm sure there's breast feeding things in other provinces

In Alberta and BC, I would say it is very much promoted and supported. We have lactation consultants, workshops, you name it.
Also, as I work at the most popular family spot in town (the Zoo!), I can vouch that breastfeeding in public is so common you hardly notice it. However, mums are very discreet. Baby and boob are always draped with some sort of covering. Walking around a store with a boob hanging out would probably raise a few eyebrows, but I don't think anyone would say anything.
I'm not sure if I even know of anyone who bottlefed instead of breast feeding. I don't think it's that common. Usually, it's only done if baby has had too much trouble latching on. That's my impression, anyway. And my Western Canada perspective!:)

In Alberta and BC, I would say it is very much promoted and supported. We have lactation consultants, workshops, you name it.
Also, as I work at the most popular family spot in town (the Zoo!), I can vouch that breastfeeding in public is so common you hardly notice it. However, mums are very discreet. Baby and boob are always draped with some sort of covering. Walking around a store with a boob hanging out would probably raise a few eyebrows, but I don't think anyone would say anything.
I'm not sure if I even know of anyone who bottlefed instead of breast feeding. I don't think it's that common. Usually, it's only done if baby has had too much trouble latching on. That's my impression, anyway. And my Western Canada perspective!:)

Lucky you! But unfortunately it isn't just a sterotype that NL is backwards :dohh: we're stuck in the 70s still. (Michelle100 is either going to agree or kill me for saying that *hides*)

I agree with Sarahka, it seems quite exceptable, almost expected to bf here in Alberta. More people I know bf then ff. When you do ff it usually because you had some difficulties, but even then, there are so many places to get help, the standard excuses don't seem to fly anymore.
On the other hand, I've never seen a woman with her "boob hanging out" while feeding either. I know I am horribly shy about my body and will ensure that I am covered while feeding, no matter where I am (except maybe at home, alone)

I agree with Sarahka, it seems quite exceptable, almost expected to bf here in Alberta. More people I know bf then ff. When you do ff it usually because you had some difficulties, but even then, there are so many places to get help, the standard excuses don't seem to fly anymore.
On the other hand, I've never seen a woman with her "boob hanging out" while feeding either. I know I am horribly shy about my body and will ensure that I am covered while feeding, no matter where I am (except maybe at home, alone)

There's like a "healthy baby club" here that they have people to help you, but my friend had her baby in...March I do believe, and she couldn't breast feed cause she couldn't get the baby to latch on and there was nobody really willing to help her (nurses or the consultants). And I live in a city(there's only 2 here). I would assume that there is literally no help if you live in a smaller place. But I have literally not heard of an actual breast feeding clinic type thing.

Lucky you! But unfortunately it isn't just a sterotype that NL is backwards :dohh: we're stuck in the 70s still. (Michelle100 is either going to agree or kill me for saying that *hides*)

Oh, you don't have a monopoly on backwardness - Alberta is the only province that doesn't cover midwifery under health care. A home birth with a midwife starts at $3500.
So I guess you have birthing choices if you're rich. Otherwise, enjoy the overcrowded labour and delivery wards, one of the continent's highest pre-term labour rates (apparently this is due to our altitude?), and a 25-30% C-section rate (also one of the highest in Canada).
We've made some progress though. Now that Ralph Klein has retired, we've stopped rounding midwives up, calling them witches, and burning them at the stake! The '70s?! We're stuck in the freakin' Middle Ages!
And this is from the province that brought you women's right to vote!

Oh, you don't have a monopoly on backwardness - Alberta is the only province that doesn't cover midwifery under health care. A home birth with a midwife starts at $3500.
So I guess you have birthing choices if you're rich. Otherwise, enjoy the overcrowded labour and delivery wards, one of the continent's highest pre-term labour rates (apparently this is due to our altitude?), and a 25-30% C-section rate (also one of the highest in Canada).
We've made some progress though. Now that Ralph Klein has retired, we've stopped rounding midwives up, calling them witches, and burning them at the stake! The '70s?! We're stuck in the freakin' Middle Ages!

Hahahaa...we have ONE practicing "midwife" and she's in St. John's. But she isn't allowed to do homebirths at all. So basically, she can birth your baby in the hospital IF theres an obgyn present.

Ha!
The token midwife of Newfoundland!
And she's only allowed to practise under strict supervision!
ha! LOL

This thread has actually just pissed me the f*ck off. Alright, breast feeding might not be for you but to say it's not natural is the most stupid thing I have ever read in my LIFE. What exactly were you taught is the definition of natural? I cannot for one second believe that when my little girl is on my boob looking up at me, that it's not natural and not the way it's supposed to be.

If you choose not to breast feed, that's your business, but it is natural, it is how it's supposed to be, and I'm quite offended.

Good grief, I believe both Nikky and I said that WE did not feel it was natural for US to breastfeed... It may be natural for you, but it is not natural for me.

No one said it wasn't a natural occurance for the human race to breastfeed.

So be pissed off all you want, but your totally blowing it out of context.

WOW

Toriaa I am shocked at your response tbh although I admit I have not read through all this thread some women aren't comfortable with it for THEM! Some women don't find it comes natural to THEM and its unfair to tell anyone it should although you understand that feeling regardless of changing your mind like most women do.

I think I'm changing my mind. I didn't want to atall but I said I would because I want my little girl to have the best start she can. Now, my mum informs me I was breast fed and my sister wasn't. Other than the odd cold my sister gets that I manage to avoid, we're really not any different. Reading about breast feeding, even the good things, just doesn't feel right to me. I feel like I'd be alot more comfortable with bottle feeding, and it'd be alot easier for me. I just realised how selfish this sounds...

...:dohh:

Hahahaa...we have ONE practicing "midwife" and she's in St. John's. But she isn't allowed to do homebirths at all. So basically, she can birth your baby in the hospital IF theres an obgyn present.

How do you all cope!!!! We have midwives all over the place! (well, not all over the place, but there's definately more than one in each borough!)

I have a midwife, but to be honest, I haven't felt the need to call her for anything as yet, as my mum was a midwife before she moved on to health visiting. Also, chances are you won't nescessarily get the same midwife all the way through to birth anyway, so at least if I have my mum, I know she'll be there from start to finish!

Provinces like BC have really good midwifery choices.
Otherwise, you just hope that your maternity clinic is good.
And luckily, mine is.
I believe it was one of the first group clinics to open in Calgary. A group of women OBs who all shared a common philosophy on birth started a clinic that probably operates a lot like your midwife clinics. There's a group of them, you see all of them at your various appointments, whoever is on call when you go into labour attends your birth. And they are all awesome so far. Very friendly, down-to-earth, never make you feel rushed, give you lots of time to ask questions, etc. I've been very happy so far.
And I probably would have chosen this clinic even if midwives were covered under health care, as this is my first and I want the medical resources right there if something goes wrong. I know that home births are actually ranked as safer, but this is just where my comfort zone is.

The Alberta Gov did announce this spring that they plan to start paying for midwives. We don't know when yet but I'm thinking in the new year we will see those changes come through.

Sarahka, I am also going to a clinic that the Dr.s all rotate through and will see me so that no matter who I end up delivering with (they take turns on call) I will be comfortable. They are Family Dr.s with an interests in OB, but if my status changes from "low risk" to "high risk" they also have OB/GYNs available.

I have NEVER gotten this level of care in my life. My primary dr in this clinic has called me personally 5 TIMES!!! She wants to make sure that I'm ok, that I'm getting the care that I needed and when I said that I still hadn't gotten into see the OB I had originally asked to see, or that I didn't even have an appointment yet (and I'm 17 weeks) she said that I had to come and see her so at least I have some prenatal care.

My Brother and wife have oped for a midwife and doula home birth and then are looking at spending ~4k for this option. OUCH!!!

The Alberta Gov did announce this spring that they plan to start paying for midwives. We don't know when yet but I'm thinking in the new year we will see those changes come through.

Sarahka, I am also going to a clinic that the Dr.s all rotate through and will see me so that no matter who I end up delivering with (they take turns on call) I will be comfortable. They are Family Dr.s with an interests in OB, but if my status changes from "low risk" to "high risk" they also have OB/GYNs available.

I have NEVER gotten this level of care in my life. My primary dr in this clinic has called me personally 5 TIMES!!! She wants to make sure that I'm ok, that I'm getting the care that I needed and when I said that I still hadn't gotten into see the OB I had originally asked to see, or that I didn't even have an appointment yet (and I'm 17 weeks) she said that I had to come and see her so at least I have some prenatal care.

My Brother and wife have oped for a midwife and doula home birth and then are looking at spending ~4k for this option. OUCH!!!

Yay!
Good to hear that there are lots of positive stories out there amidst all the concern over the state of our provincial health care. Knowing how stretched all these doctors must be just impresses me more when I see how high they keep their standards.
Man, we have gone waaaayy off thread topic, haven't we? :)

Just to add guys, midwives in the UK are who looks after you during the pregnancy, during the birth, and after. They deliver the baby without the help of a doctor. Consultants aren't used very often unless there's complications. I know its completely different in the states.

Yay!
Good to hear that there are lots of positive stories out there amidst all the concern over the state of our provincial health care. Knowing how stretched all these doctors must be just impresses me more when I see how high they keep their standards.
Man, we have gone waaaayy off thread topic, haven't we? :)

I was just about to say that I think this is the worst I have every highjacked a thread.:dohh: :blush:

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion on pump vs breast!

idk i still think its selfish when people don't even try to breastfeed.

:shock:
People have their reasons,every and each one.Reasons that they shouldn't be judged for!

I said it once before,we ALL here have nothing but our children's best interest at heart and if not breastfeeding is something that endangers our kids we sure as hell wouldn't be considering it.

Don't you think it's a tad insulting that you are calling people on this board selfish without even knowing their circumstances?
Some of them actually have nipple phobias,it's an actual phobia.

A personal choice,there's no right or wrong answer to that question.

Well everyone knows the benefits for the baby, and the mum too. Health professionals reccommend breastfeeding for a reason. I think it's very selfish not to even try it just b/c you THINK you MIGHT feel uncomfortable. It's different if the mother tries it for a few weeks and decides she HATES it. But people who dismiss it without even giving it a go kind of angers me a little :|
I won't apologise for my opinion but I'm sorry if you were massively offended by it.

i think your a very rude person and have no right in judging anybody for their choices! everyone has their own reasons for it.:hissy:

I said it was selfish TO NOT TRY and breastfeed. Even if she did it for a week and decided against it, fine. Atleast she tried.

why should she try something which she knows that she is not going to be comfortable with? why put herself through an extra week of discomfort? a happy mum = a happy baby.

I said it was selfish TO NOT TRY and breastfeed. Even if she did it for a week and decided against it, fine. Atleast she tried.

why should she try something which she knows that she is not going to be comfortable with? why put herself through an extra week of discomfort? a happy mum = a happy baby.

Uh b/c it's best for not only herself but her baby too. I plan on being selfless in regards to my child, and breastfeeding is no different. Even if I feel uncomfortable at first I'll stick with it in hopes that I'll soon get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->