Budget Meal planning

I love that we're all sharing ideas!

Ours :

Sat : Fajitas (don't buy the kit, I have a great spice recipe I can share that we cook with chicken, an onion and a pepper). We serve with value tortilla, grated cheese, garlic bread and home made wedges. Salsa and Sweet Chilli sauce is a sauce we always have in the house.

Sunday : Mums for weekly Sunday roast

Monday : Chicken escalope, chips and beans (cheat version, we use value chicken burgers lol and home made chips

Tuesday : Sausage, mash and carrots

Wednesday : At friends

Thursday : At friends

Friday : Cheesy pasta and garlic bread (home made cheesy sauce)

I would love the recipie for the spice mix. I dont buy the kits any more just but the packet of spice mix. But its still so expensive for what you get.

Monday - homemade lasagne, oven chips and garlic bread.
Tuesday - pork roast
Wednesday - chicken curry, rice and naan
Thursday - jacket spuds
Friday - chicken and smoked sausage pasta and garlic bread
Saturday - fajitas
Sunday - stewed sausages, mash, peas and carrots.

Oooh here is my week:
Sun: roast chicken
Mon: curry made with chicken leftovers
Tues: Stovies courtesy of MIL
Weds: pasta bake with garlic bread
Thurs: pizza
Fri: chicken ramen
Sat: pork goulash (frozen leftovers from last week)

I boil up my chicken carcass and make a big pot of tattie soup, that lasts 2 days for lunches. Then just sandwiches or crackers for lunches. I mix it up though and use wraps, pittas etc as OH is home for lunch everyday.

Here's what we use, it actually came from a slimming world recipe as the packet mixes are high in syns!

Fajita Spice Mix

1.5 teaspoons of chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder

Tonight is huge budget bolognese. I got a 500g pack of extra lean steak mince for £2, I've added 100g dried reyd lentils, carton of tomatoes sainsbury basics, and carton of passata, half a portion of a frozen garlic cube, a handful of leftover butternut squash, mustard, homemade beef stock, dried basil and oregano.
Dh has now said he's going to be late so he's going to have with pasta and I'm making up polenta for ds and I. Polenta is about 40p a packet in morrisons, I use about 1/3 of it 1 part to 4 parts liquid stock, milk, water and cook about 20 mins on the hob. Can stir in cheese. I then have leftover for making polenta chips.
Tues- Turkey and ham pie, maybe with leeks. Sauce maybe cheap tin of soup.
Wed-lamb shanks slow cooked ( service counter bargain)
Thurs- leftovers made into lasagne.
That's as far as I got.
Xx

We've just started meal planning. We've done a two week plan which I guess we'll follow til we get bored of the meals.

Week 1
Mon - Baked salmon (or any fish thats on sale, today its smoked whitefish) with a onion, breadcrumb and lemon crust, with boiled potatoes
Tues - Roast chicken thighs, roast potato and salad
Wed - Homemade pizza with the leftover chicken, avocado, bacon and anything else lying around
Thurs - Leftover pizza
Fri - Homemade meatballs with pasta and salad
Sat - Homemade burgers
Sun - Leftover burgers (the meatballs and burgers all made from one big box of mince which saves a good deal of money)

Week 2
Mon - Fish meal again
Tues - Chickenstrips cooked in creme fraiche with feta cheese, and rice
Wed - Stew (pork and potato)
Thurs - Leftover stew
Fri - Pork chops (cooked in whatever way I feel like doing) with mashed potatoes and salad
Sat - Pasta carbonara with salad
Sun - Sweet potato and veggie soup and maybe any meat thats on sale

Thanks snow owl. Just wondering does anyone have any recipies for a nandos style rub?
This weeks food arrived today but just checked the accounts and we have £30 after iv taken out money for travle for food for the last 2 weeks of the month. So trying to spend as little as possible.

I know im a pain, im sorry but apart from full on cakes what deserts can i do? I constantly crave cake. So if anyone has any ideas of quick deserts they would be greatly welcomed.

Oooh such a good idea! My week is:

Mon- Beef stew with dumplings.
Tues- Sweet and sour pork
Wednesday- Stuffed mushroom pasta with garlic bread
Thursday- BBQ Pork steaks, mash and veg
Friday- Chicken burgers
Saturday- Sausage, mash and beans,
Sunday- Roast topside

This week :)

Monday - We had a roast because I don't have LO's on the weekend so no point cooking one for just me on a Sunday!
Tuesday - Pasta bake
Wednesday - Sausage and mash
Thursday - Cajun Chicken breasts with potato wedges
Friday - Pizza

Im a little stuck ladies. I have £40 to do 4 weeks food shop. I normaly spend that each week. Can anyine help me be creative. I have two fussy eaters ( oh and lo). Im sure i could do it if we lived of pasta, and junk but we are just back in the swing of good food so would like to keep that going. I have plenty of meat. I can post a list later of whats in my cupboards and freezer once iv had a look and made a list.

If you have plenty of meat why not get lots to go with it, rice (cheap), Potatoes (cheap), Pasta (cheap) and maybe like cous cous and things? Veg each week and do stews, shepards pie. Post up later and we shall help :) xx

Saturday: steak Pie with green beans mash and gravy
Sunday: roast (at my parents)
Monday: chicken fajitas
Tuesday: beef stew
Wednesday: pasta bake
Thursday: chicken burgers with homemade chips
Friday: pizza

I really want a takeaway. I get paid tomorrow so feel I can justify having one tonight. Its been doing my head in all week but I can't decide!! xx

Can someone please post a nice (easy) recipe for stew. I love stew but am such a bad cook. I actually set fire to my cooker a couple of days ago trying to make pork chops :blush:

Haha. When i first lived on my own i lived off ready meals ( i couldnt cook) My mum brought some actual food round so figured i should actually use it. Everyday for like 4 days i set the fire alarm off. The whole building had to be evacuated.

Then there was another time i cooked a stew. Left it on the hob while i showered and left it on high. Had to get out the shower to turn it down, managed to slip and almost break my leg. Then burnt the pan so bad we had to bin it.

Ill get OH to check the cupboards and freezer in a while. He hates me messing up his kitchen.

Mummy may, go on have a takeaway. Enjoy it.

Can someone please post a nice (easy) recipe for stew. I love stew but am such a bad cook. I actually set fire to my cooker a couple of days ago trying to make pork chops :blush:

Brown some cubed meat in a pan (i normally do beef) add some onion too if you like it. Then put some veg in. Anything you like carrots swede potatos ect. Then add a stock cube made up then i always add some gravy ( just bisto lol) Leave to cook for a couple of hours on low to medium heat and done! If you want dumplings then just can buy the suet packs and follow instructions or you can make your own from flour and marg and a bit of water, really easy and cheaper too. When your a bit braver just add some herbs. Oh and make sure you give it a stir every now and then. :thumbup:

Get a huge bag of lentils from the world food section of the supermarket or asian supermarket.
This will make various meals go further, and meat free meals.
I got a bag of yellow and bag of red about 2.5kg each for £5.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->