Budget Meal planning

Can someone please post a nice (easy) recipe for stew. I love stew but am such a bad cook. I actually set fire to my cooker a couple of days ago trying to make pork chops :blush:

What I do is stick some cubed/cut up meat, usually pork as its cheapest, in a bag with some flour, salt and pepper and shake it around, then brown it in butter (or oil), then add onion and garlic, then I add some boiling water and some stock (chicken stock if its pork or beef stock, or bovril even if its beef or a mix of the two) and let it simmer (lowest hob setting usually) for an hour or two depending on how tender I want it or how much time I have, then I added chopped potatoes and any veggies you want and leave it another hour.

We've just started meal planning. We've done a two week plan which I guess we'll follow til we get bored of the meals.

Week 1
Mon - Baked salmon (or any fish thats on sale, today its smoked whitefish) with a onion, breadcrumb and lemon crust, with boiled potatoes
Tues - Roast chicken thighs, roast potato and salad
Wed - Homemade pizza with the leftover chicken, avocado, bacon and anything else lying around
Thurs - Leftover pizza
Fri - Homemade meatballs with pasta and salad
Sat - Homemade burgers
Sun - Leftover burgers (the meatballs and burgers all made from one big box of mince which saves a good deal of money)

Week 2
Mon - Fish meal again
Tues - Chickenstrips cooked in creme fraiche with feta cheese, and rice
Wed - Stew (pork and potato)
Thurs - Leftover stew
Fri - Pork chops (cooked in whatever way I feel like doing) with mashed potatoes and salad
Sat - Pasta carbonara with salad
Sun - Sweet potato and veggie soup and maybe any meat thats on sale

This all sounds yummy Nat :thumbup:

So ladies iv managed to do a 4 week shop for just iver £40. Then i will need to spend £20 over the 4 weeks on milk, and potatos.
Thats if i do my main shop at tesco and buy the potatos and veg from the local shop.
Where do you ladies find the cheapest for food? I realy could do with bringing the supermarket shop down a little. I can get to any of the supermarkets.

Oooh here is my week:
Sun: roast chicken
Mon: curry made with chicken leftovers
Tues: Stovies courtesy of MIL
Weds: pasta bake with garlic bread
Thurs: pizza
Fri: chicken ramen
Sat: pork goulash (frozen leftovers from last week)

I boil up my chicken carcass and make a big pot of tattie soup, that lasts 2 days for lunches. Then just sandwiches or crackers for lunches. I mix it up though and use wraps, pittas etc as OH is home for lunch everyday.

I love goulash :)

What is 'stovies'?

You should be able to get a huge bag of potatoes from your local Farm shop if you have one?
Milk is cheapest at morrisons, in fact I'd say morrisons was pretty cheap and aldi too xx

Plan for this week-

Chicken stirfry
sausage casserole
Jacket potatoes with filling and salad
chicken casserole
Spag bol
lasagne

I should only need to buy bread, crisps, milk, yogs,
cheese, fruit and salad for this week as I have all
the meat in the freezer and veggies too

xx

Oooh here is my week:
Sun: roast chicken
Mon: curry made with chicken leftovers
Tues: Stovies courtesy of MIL
Weds: pasta bake with garlic bread
Thurs: pizza
Fri: chicken ramen
Sat: pork goulash (frozen leftovers from last week)

I boil up my chicken carcass and make a big pot of tattie soup, that lasts 2 days for lunches. Then just sandwiches or crackers for lunches. I mix it up though and use wraps, pittas etc as OH is home for lunch everyday.

I love goulash :)

What is 'stovies'?

Basically a joint of beef cooked up with onions and then mashed up with potatoes.. served with pickled beetroot and oatcakes.. although OH eats his with tomato sauce!
sounds disgusting but is absolutely yummy!!! and both my kids have loved it :)
https://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/recipes/stovies-meat

This weeks meal plan

Monday - pasta bake
Tuesday - chicken burgers and salad
Wednesday - tuna salad
Thursday - spaghetti bolognese
Friday - out as ds bday
Saturday - ds party so party food
Sunday - spaghetti carbonara

Not an exciting week!

Mon - Saus and Mash
Tue - Cheesy Pasta
Wed - Out
Thur - Spaghetti Bol
Fri - Pizza

Love this thread, Im always trying to cut my shopping down :thumbup:

My week plan looks something like this...

Monday - Jerk Chicken (that my mum brought round cause she made too much!)
Tuesday - Mexican chicken stew
Wednesday - Steamed fish in a ginger broth
Thursday - Fragrant spiced turkey with brown rice
Friday - Haddock with bacon, lettuce and peas
Saturday - Spiced yoghurt chicken with salad
Sunday - Beef stir fry

As you can probably tell, I love spicy food!

OH and Maria are away this week so I'm going to be naughty and forget about the meal plan and the budget and eat whatever I want :haha:

This week-
No particular day this week so..

beef strognaoff (sp?)
lamb steaks and veg.
chorizo and bean chilli
spiced turkey breast and veg
pasta bake
hm turkey curry.
omelletes

One of my little money saving tips is buying cheap value pizzas, plain cheese and tomato then I our my own toppings on.. Always have somethin I can put on a pizza to spice it up a bit :)

One of my little money saving tips is buying cheap value pizzas, plain cheese and tomato then I our my own toppings on.. Always have somethin I can put on a pizza to spice it up a bit :)

This is brilliant. We do this sometimes. LO likes a pepperoni pizza without the " peppa only", oh wont have any veggies but will load it up with meat and i like a nice ballance of veg and meat. Saves me loads, and we each get what we want.

We do this midweek. Just befor i have to chuck the ham out and open the next sandwich meat.

I buy the plain pizza bases and make my own that way (so before Maria could eat cheese I could make a quarter of the pizza without cheese) and much prefer the pizza sauce I make than the one already on pizzas.

I'm so stuck on what to put on the meal plan this week :/ I'm not a huge fan of meat and oh isn't a fan of veggies. Fed up of eating the same things

Here's another attempt at meal planning :)

Friday - Quorn chicken korma with extra veg (onions, mixed peppers, sweetcorn and peas), rice, naan bread and mini poppadoms
Saturday - Gnocchi bake with garlic bread
Sunday - Corned beef hash (basically corned beef, mashed potato and beans)
Monday - Quorn chicken fried rice
Tuesday - Turkey bolognese with extra veg and ciabatta garlic bread
Wednesday - Turkey cottage pie
Thursday - something simple like fish fingers, mash and peas

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g