• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2009/07/circumcision_male_genital_muti_1.html

Intact America presents ten reasons why parents should not circumcise their children:

1. Because there is no medical reason for "routine" circumcision of baby boys.
2. Because the foreskin is not a birth defect.
3. Because you wouldn't circumcise your baby girl. In the United States, girls of all ages are protected by federal and state laws from genital surgery to which they do not consent, whether practiced in medical or non-medical settings, and regardless of the religious or cultural preferences of their parents.
4. Because your baby does not want to be circumcised.
5. Because removing part of a baby's penis is painful, risky and harmful.
6. Because times and attitudes have changed. Today, nearly half of all baby boys in the United States leave the hospital intact. The circumcision rate in the U.S. was 56% in 2005 (and much lower in some parts of the country), down from 81% in 1981. More and more parents are choosing to keep their son intact.
7. Because most medically advanced nations do not circumcise baby boys.
8. Because circumcision does not prevent HIV or other diseases. Despite common misinformation, studies show no conclusive link between circumcision and sexually transmitted disease (STD) prevention.
9. Because caring for and cleaning the foreskin is easy.
10. Because children should be protected from permanent bodily alteration inflicted on them without their consent in the name of culture, religion, profit, or parental preference.

Nevermind. It's like talking to a wall.

if men cant keep un-cc cleaned with lack of clean water how are they keeping cc cleaned after the surgery???

Sadly, they are generally unable to. And that is exactly why circumcision is encouraged in countries that have problems with water accessibility because bacteria are easily trapped in the foreskin if a penis is not washed properly or cared for for days on end, while a circumcised penis doesn't have the foreskin to trap them.

In Africa I can see why there would be health benifits. But in developed countries where we are lucky to have the resources we should use them instead of taking such drastic measures
x

In Africa I can see why there would be health benifits. But in developed countries where we are lucky to have the resources we should use them instead of taking such drastic measures
x

I tend to agree.

If we have a boy, we will be getting it done. OH and I have already discussed it, and we have our own reasons for wanting to get it done.

Just realized this thread was still going on. All I can say is I wish I had as much free time as some of you guys. To each his own is what I think.

https://www.fathermag.com/health/circ/gmas/ :

"I never saw anything wrong with it either until I witnessed my own son being circumcised. The doctor assured me it was a simple little snip of extra skin that had no function and that really didn't hurt the infant. "You want him to look like you, don't you?" Well, since I really hadn't thought much about it, and since I, too, had gone under the knife at birth, I said "Sure. I guess so. Why not?"

He didn't answer the "Why not?" but it was soon apparent to me. My newborn son was taken from his mother's warm, nourishing breast and placed naked on a cold, plastic board called a Circumstraint. His little legs were spread-eagled and strapped down with Velcro bands and his arms were strapped to his sides. He immediately protested and began to cry. The doctor draped a thin cloth with a hole in the center over his shivering body and drew his little penis through the hole.

The doctor washed my baby's penis with an antiseptic solution. He took a pair of steel hemostats and, holding the penis in one hand, inserted the tip of the hemostat into the opening of the foreskin and began pushing it between the foreskin and the glans, ripping the two structures apart. The foreskin and glans were tightly fused together by the normal balanopreputial membrane called the synechia, similar to the membrane that attaches the fingernail to the finger. It's the body's way, in part, of protecting against harmful bacteria.

My baby was shrieking now, his protest going from a simple cry to what sounded like screams of sheer terror. His body was rigid, contorted as he strained against the straps and the pain. If the Circumstraint had not been bolted down, it and my child would have crashed to the floor. Every instinct I had told me this was not right, that I should be protecting my son instead of acquiescing to the barbaric spectacle before me. But I am a "civilized" man. I have been socialized to accept what the doctor is doing. It's the right thing to do. Right?

The foreskin did not easily give up its hold on my son's glans. The doctor continued to rip the skin with the hemostat. My son was shaking, tossing his head from side to side, his fists and eyes were clenched, sweat beaded on his brow.

The doctor finally got the glans and foreskin separated, then clamped the foreskin tight with another hemostat and cut the skin vertically with scissors. The wound was bleeding profusely. He tried to insert a steel cone into the tissue but had to force it because the incision was too short. My son stopped screaming. His eyes were glazed and rolled back. He appeared to be sleeping, but he was really in a state of complete and total shock.

The doctor put a large metal clamp around the bleeding foreskin, the cone supposedly to protect the glans, and he proceeded to crush the nerves, the blood vessels and tissue of the foreskin with the clamp. He took a knife and sliced around the clamp, letting the foreskin drop onto the cloth. My son lay motionless on the board, completely disassociated into some other, more hospitable space. The doctor looked at me and winked. He left the room. A nurse gave my son back to his mother. Welcome to America, little man. "

:cry: Totally unnecessary

With no opinion either way in this post my husband went to a double bris today by a moyel with a MD. They gave baby #1 a shot to numb the area and he was circumsiced and he didnt cry before or after. baby #2 they gave a shot also and he cried and pooped and peed the second they got him undressed and (before the shot) the whole time.

I agree, it is definitely cultural and people tend to follow custom (whether deliberately or blindly), but clinging tenaciously and irrationally to customary practices can be very harmful (thank goodness many cultural and customary past traditions have been abandoned!).

I am from the southeastern U.S. where we probably have some of the highest circ rates. When expecting my older son, I decided to do some research. I am glad I did, and didn't blindly follow the sheep to lead my son's foreskin to "slaughter".

Ive been doing lots of research on it as well and I am not just "following the crowed" and doing it". lol I am trying to made a informed, educated decision. :)

Why are you laughing at these comments - because a mistake was made by calling Africa a country instead of a continent? Or because of what is being said? Either way - it's not very kind to laugh at another persons opinion, is it?

You go on to say we should be civilised and not insulting about other people's opinions in your next post - however you laughing at MY opinion is belittling and insulting.

And I have a genuine question - why does access to clean drinking water have a bearing on the spread of AIDS? x

Yes, I was laughing at the calling Africa a country (hence the reason I highlighted it) . As to why it is funny, well, it's a common mistake that is often made, and it always cracks me up (and not funny in a demeaning way). Was not laughing at your opinion on the subject at all. I was actually addressing loopylass in my second and third paragraph because of what she said in the part I highlighted. In fact, tis unfortunate that you concluded that I was insulting you as I tend to agree with what you said about showers.

You are right, some Africans are convinced that taking a shower after unprotected sex prevents HIV/Aids (thanks mainly to our current polygamist president this misconception has spread) and that is why I was saying education alone is not enough in Africa. There's generally a poor mentality about protected sex here and this is only made worse when our political leaders who should be better educated on HIV/Aids display poor public conduct and make remarks that contribute to ignorance, e.g some years back our Heath Minister said a proper diet can cure Aids (I kid you not).

As for not having access to clean drinking water... I was trying to illustrate that in Africa it is not as simple as saying ‘hygiene is not a good enough reason to cc because all you need is soap and water’. Well, not everyone in third world countries has access to water, let alone soap, and therefore cannot ‘maintain’ clean manly bits and so a lot of “dirt” (for a lack of a medical term) gets trapped in the foreskin of uncircumcised men.

Hope that cleared that up and no one else accuses me of belittling their opinion. :flower:

OK thank you I accept that :flower: Thank you also for clearing up the thing about the water as well.

"I never saw anything wrong with it either until I witnessed my own son being circumcised. The doctor assured me it was a simple little snip of extra skin that had no function and that really didn't hurt the infant. "You want him to look like you, don't you?" Well, since I really hadn't thought much about it, and since I, too, had gone under the knife at birth, I said "Sure. I guess so. Why not?"

He didn't answer the "Why not?" but it was soon apparent to me. My newborn son was taken from his mother's warm, nourishing breast and placed naked on a cold, plastic board called a Circumstraint. His little legs were spread-eagled and strapped down with Velcro bands and his arms were strapped to his sides. He immediately protested and began to cry. The doctor draped a thin cloth with a hole in the center over his shivering body and drew his little penis through the hole.

The doctor washed my baby's penis with an antiseptic solution. He took a pair of steel hemostats and, holding the penis in one hand, inserted the tip of the hemostat into the opening of the foreskin and began pushing it between the foreskin and the glans, ripping the two structures apart. The foreskin and glans were tightly fused together by the normal balanopreputial membrane called the synechia, similar to the membrane that attaches the fingernail to the finger. It's the body's way, in part, of protecting against harmful bacteria.

My baby was shrieking now, his protest going from a simple cry to what sounded like screams of sheer terror. His body was rigid, contorted as he strained against the straps and the pain. If the Circumstraint had not been bolted down, it and my child would have crashed to the floor. Every instinct I had told me this was not right, that I should be protecting my son instead of acquiescing to the barbaric spectacle before me. But I am a "civilized" man. I have been socialized to accept what the doctor is doing. It's the right thing to do. Right?

The foreskin did not easily give up its hold on my son's glans. The doctor continued to rip the skin with the hemostat. My son was shaking, tossing his head from side to side, his fists and eyes were clenched, sweat beaded on his brow.

The doctor finally got the glans and foreskin separated, then clamped the foreskin tight with another hemostat and cut the skin vertically with scissors. The wound was bleeding profusely. He tried to insert a steel cone into the tissue but had to force it because the incision was too short. My son stopped screaming. His eyes were glazed and rolled back. He appeared to be sleeping, but he was really in a state of complete and total shock.

The doctor put a large metal clamp around the bleeding foreskin, the cone supposedly to protect the glans, and he proceeded to crush the nerves, the blood vessels and tissue of the foreskin with the clamp. He took a knife and sliced around the clamp, letting the foreskin drop onto the cloth. My son lay motionless on the board, completely disassociated into some other, more hospitable space. The doctor looked at me and winked. He left the room. A nurse gave my son back to his mother. Welcome to America, little man. "

I feel sick. That is disgusting.

That is absolutely vile :sick:

Omg!!! Winegums!!! :cry: I wish I never read that!!! :cry:

I also find that quite offensive like us Americans a being singled out!! We are not the only country who circumcise and not all Americans circumcise!

I also find that quite offensive like us Americans a being singled out!! We are not the only country who circumcise and not all Americans circumcise!

I am American and do not find it offensive to state the fact that overwhelmingly the procedure is done here with lack of any reason at all (not medical or religious). For a country that is always screaming at other countries about their human rights violations (including female circumcisions), I think it is absurd that we still even allow this done here for reasons that are not medical. What a hypocritical, contradictory point of view for Americans to have!

Eventually, I think it will be seen as a human rights violation and the practice will be done away with, but until then, all that can be done is to try to educate prospective parents to try to overcome this mentality that it is just a routine procedure.

That is absolutely vile :sick:

But if this is the way it is done.....I cant see a problem with the post?

It certainly turned my stomach, and for this reason I would NEVER put my son through that, EVER!

These type of threads will continue to cause controversy when posted...you have to understand that everyone has different opinions on this procedure.

I think we all know that the said procedure is more widely done in America, I dont think the OP was singling out Americans, just quoting a passage from the internet.:thumbup:

I haven't read through this whole thing as in all honesty I can't be bothered but it has reminded me of something I read not too long ago with regards to female circumcision, at one point posing the question why is circumcision socially accepted for the male population but not the female?

Look up Woman Uncensored :winkwink:

Just posting as a member:

My nephew was circumcised and it wasn't like that article at ALL. :nope: It churned my stomach reading it as well, but to say that all circumcisions are like that is generalizing.

I took a look through that site, it seems rather extremist in most things. I will admit I was kind of :wacko: in reading the two links they have about women offenders, with a full page full of links of women who rape children, kill them, abuse them, exploit them, etc and if that wasn't enough there's still yet another link leading to another half a page full of stories.

Not saying that women don't do that sort of thing, but IMHO it seemed like they were being a bit extreme in that aspect as well?

Anyways, my whole point is that article was written to be shocking and disgusting. I'm not saying that it wasn't like that for him to watch his son be circumcised, but I wouldn't take that article as gospel.

To clear some things up: Its far more "normal" to have circumcision done here. That being said, it isn't endorsed by anywhere to have it done. Its considered 'cosmetic' now and if someone wants to have it done it isn't covered by any sort of insurance policy. I'm on the fence about it. My OH wants to have it done as he is and he would want his son to look like him. I feel its unnecessary, so we clash on the topic. Thankfully we don't really have to research/argue it for now as we don't have a son and aren't pregnant.

:flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back