• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree that we shouldnt take what the internet says as gospel thats for sure. But if that is a true account, then i sure hope that isnt what a circumcision is like for a baby, although i couldnt imagine it would be much better x

I also find that quite offensive like us Americans a being singled out!! We are not the only country who circumcise and not all Americans circumcise!

Well darling, our stats for cutting are grossly high... so suck it up Americans do what is main stream

I'm in Canada, and circumcision is very common here as well. It's becoming less common, but there are still a lot of people who firmly believe it's "unhygienic" to not circumcise.
I'm kinda glad we're having a girl, because I would choose to not circumcise, and I fear I would face pressure from some of the "pro-circumcision" friends I have...plus, it's very expensive! My best friend had her son circumcised 3 years ago, and she had to pay $200 for it!
I wouldn't judge anyone either way, tbh. Whether they choose to circumcise or not, they truly believe they are doing the best for their child, and I respect that :flower:

I don't appreciate being called a hypocrite and being told to "suck it up" For something that offended ME.

Winegums you did not offend me, the person who wrote the article did.That last sentence is what really got me. The article made me sad for our son was circumcised but we were not allowed to watch and I kept picturing him the one on the table. :cry: I'm glad that was 5 1/2 years ago or I would have changed my mind after reading that!!

Majm1241 - My son is circumcised and I was there the whole time and it was NOTHING like that article. DS was in no more discomfort than what he has been for routine vaccinations. Hope you're not having nightmares imaging your son on the table as I promise you, if it was done how my son was done, there's nothing to worry about. :hugs:

Thanks Hon! That does make me feel a bit better. :hugs:

Well darling, our stats for cutting are grossly high... so suck it up Americans do what is main stream

That is highly uncalled for. There are other ways with getting your point across without being condescending and patronizing.

I don't appreciate being called a hypocrite and being told to "suck it up" For something that offended ME.

Winegums you did not offend me, the person who wrote the article did.That last sentence is what really got me. The article made me sad for our son was circumcised but we were not allowed to watch and I kept picturing him the one on the table. :cry: I'm glad that was 5 1/2 years ago or I would have changed my mind after reading that!!

Can I ask why you were not allowed to watch? Was it because it would have been distressing for you to see? xx

I'm sorry you feel I was being that way... good thing we all have our own thoughts about things right ;)

but when the facts are right there, no way around them...

I'm on the fence about it. My OH wants to have it done as he is and he would want his son to look like him. I feel its unnecessary, so we clash on the topic. Thankfully we don't really have to research/argue it for now as we don't have a son and aren't pregnant.

:flower:

Have him watch this (warning...difficult to watch):

https://www.veoh.com/collection/Circumcision/watch/e176471PJGJ6FGQ

Here is the longer version that you must log into youtube to see:

https://www.youtube.com/verify_age?...?v=AwBCElbVkuY&feature=related&has_verified=1

Here is a short clip from the documentary "The Human Sexes" that explains why the Ancient Egyptians invented the ritual in the first place. Certainly worth watching. It does not show anything graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaFtcIrtbm0&feature=related

I'm not sure that graphic videos are going to help those who genuinely need to make a decision over circumcision. I haven't watched it so apologise if it isn't but IMO real accounts from those who have opted for it would be more beneficial.

Some girls on here might be having to consider it when in principle they aren't keen on it and horror videos could prove to be quite traumatic

I'm not sure that graphic videos are going to help those who genuinely need to make a decision over circumcision. I haven't watched it so apologise if it isn't but IMO real accounts from those who have opted for it would be more beneficial.

Some girls on here might be having to consider it when in principle they aren't keen on it and horror videos could prove to be quite traumatic

The first two are videos of the procedure detailing what is being done at each stage (in the second one which is the unabbreviated version of the first one). They are in a medical setting, not some tribal ritual graphic thing. I think the videos DO help with a decision. Whether the baby is unanesthetised or anesthetized and sleeps through the procedure, this is one of the very common ways it is done and parents should know exactly what they are deciding to have done to their son before consenting to it. If someone is afraid to see it then they should certainly be afraid to subject their newborn to it.

I'm on the fence about it. My OH wants to have it done as he is and he would want his son to look like him. I feel its unnecessary, so we clash on the topic. Thankfully we don't really have to research/argue it for now as we don't have a son and aren't pregnant.

:flower:

Have him watch this (warning...difficult to watch):

https://www.veoh.com/collection/Circumcision/watch/e176471PJGJ6FGQ

Here is the longer version that you must log into youtube to see:

https://www.youtube.com/verify_age?...?v=AwBCElbVkuY&feature=related&has_verified=1

Here is a short clip from the documentary "The Human Sexes" that explains why the Ancient Egyptians invented the ritual in the first place. Certainly worth watching. It does not show anything graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaFtcIrtbm0&feature=related

Oh my GOD!! :cry:

I coudnt watch it with the sound on.

Can I ask why you were not allowed to watch? Was it because it would have been distressing for you to see? xx

Just the Army Hospital Policy that he was born at.

I'm sorry you feel I was being that way... good thing we all have our own thoughts about things right ;)

but when the facts are right there, no way around them...

The way you told ME to suck it up is what she is referring to. Not if you have the right facts or not.

at was 5 1/2 years ago or I would have changed my mind after reading that!!

Can I ask why you were not allowed to watch? Was it because it would have been distressing for you to see? xx[/QUOTE]

Just the Army Hospital Policy that he was born at.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I was just wondering :thumbup:

I couldn't watch the videos. I watched about 10 seconds of the 1st one and the procedure is far more invasive than I originally thought, I thought it was just a little snip. I won't go any further into my feelings on it.

I do feel that anyone unsure about the procedure should watch them or videos like it, if you're absolutely sure about it then there's no point watching them, although they could make you change your mind about it. xx

I think anyone considering the procedure should speak to the consultant that would do it rather than watch videos or google. I was against it, DH was for. I scared myself to death on the Internet and was adamant we wouldn't do it. But I agreed to a consult and was reassured, we went ahead and as I said, it was no worse than routine vacs.

People always advice never to google medical conditions and I think this shouldn't be googled either. Speak to the consultant, ask about the method s/he uses and then make an informed decision

I do think you should speak to the consultant who who will be doing the procedure, definitely, but at the end of the day there will be bias for the procedure as the consultant will be taking your money to do it. Obviously they are professionals and will give good advice but they will of course want you to go through with the procedure and will speak with that in mind. At least watching a clip, just a clip with no commentary or bias one way or the other, will show exactly what happens rather than relying on the consultants description of what happens. xxx

My consultant was brilliant and we paid for the consult so he got his money either way. Apart from anything else, you get a feel for the person and the place which is so important. Like I said, I've not watched video (I will but I'm on my phone atm) so should perhaps comment once I've seen it, but the written account a few pages back was a world away from my experience and I guess that it just grinds my gears a bit that people are led to believe that I put DS thru something like that.
Think I'll take my video cam when it's DS2's turn!

I do agree with you Lyndsey, I'm guessing not all circumcisions are the same and that account was written by an anti-circumcision source so there is bias there too. I think it's just really important to source out advice that is unbiased one way or the other to come to a decision - which must be really difficult when views on this subject are either so far one way or the other! xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"