December Snowflakes 2015! Come join me 74 ladies, 10 angels, two sets of twins!

I would really like to try natural methods. I don't really have any desire to do it without any pain meds but it would be nice if I could avoid the epidural or at least put it off for longer. I want to experience labor, if that makes sense. Last time I got the epidural almost immediately because after the foley bulb it moved so fast and the pain was making my high blood pressure skyrocket and they basically told me get an epi.

I went into labor totally unprepared last time. I just did whatever the doctors said and I wish I had known more. They told me I had to get an epidural, then they suggested forceps when baby got stuck. I still don't know how I feel about that. It worked out for us, they just had to turn her head not fully pull her out, but as they were doing it I vaguely realized that it was a student doctor who had never used forceps before and was being instructed by the main doctor doing the procedure. I am still kind of pissed about that as I have read horror stories about forceps disasters. But at the same time I'm grateful I didn't have to get a c-section.

Ugh idk. I just want to be more educated about things and not take their word for everything, yknow? I feel like hypnobirthing would work for me, I have in the past successfully made pain abate by kind of retreating into my mind and that seems to be the same idea..

A student doctor?!?! I'd be like, 'get your inexperienced hands out of my vagina!'

Glad it worked out well though - that's the important thing!

I highly recommend reading Ina May's guide to childbirth it is an excellent resource for understanding how birth works and what your body is capable of :)

I guess I'm in the minority; I had an epidural with my first and most definitely plan on doing the epi again! My contractions were so bad I was becoming completely exhausted and I don't think I'd have had the energy to go through the end stages of labor without the rest the epi allowed me to get.

We are all different people and have different preferences and all labours can be different. A very long labour can increase your need for pain relief like you say to get some rest to get some strength back for pushing. We all get a baby (or 2) at the end, go for the birth that makes you feel most happy and comfortable if you have the choice! :)

Getting increasingly nervous for my scan on Friday. :/

I guess I'm in the minority; I had an epidural with my first and most definitely plan on doing the epi again! My contractions were so bad I was becoming completely exhausted and I don't think I'd have had the energy to go through the end stages of labor without the rest the epi allowed me to get.

Hahaha I am totally pro epi. It was glorious. I just really wanna have the experience of actual labor, just because I'm an experience junkie. I don't regret my epi I just wish I could have waited a bit. Mm that was beautiful though. See I want to be able to enjoy labor, not be in excruciating pain for 20 hours. Obviously to each her own, I commend women who are able to do it naturally! I certainly would feel like a badass afterwards.

What are you nervous about twinmum? Just the normal pre scan nerves?

I'm hoping to have a water birth with gas and air, but I'm open to whatever my body feels like it needs to get the job done :)

Anyone else planning on hypnobirthing ? I've got a book that I plan on starting to read tonight and I've been doing meditations I found on YouTube and I am going to get a cute notebook and write down some affirmations as well. So excited by the prospect of hypnobirthing ! Especially when people say I can't do it, makes me more determined !

I didn't officially do hypnobirthing with my first pregnancy, but I followed some of the ideas, like various meditations, and affirmations (I really like this). No idea how much it helped, but I did have a fairly-smooth uncomplicated labor.

My advice to anyone, but expecially those wanting a natural birth (which can mean different things) it to be as informed about labor as possible. Learn what to expect. Knowing what your body is doing, and why, can help give you confidence and hopefully make you un-afraid (or less afraid). It's a scientifically proven fact than fear (adrenaline) has a slowing effect on labor.

Luna, I was going to recommend Ina May Gaskin's book too. Another great one, which I read last time and have just again checked-out from the library is: Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel. Well written and empowering. A very detailed section on VBAC.

Yeah, just nervous they will find something wrong. I got like this in the days leading up to my dating scan too and was hoping I wouldn't worry so much after actually seeing a wriggly baby on that scan! I guess we just always find a reason to worry lol!

Grrr just found out I might be made redundant !!!
I've only been in the job since March !

Anyone know what rights I have or what financial help I might be entitled to ?

Morning ladies! It's my first baby so I cant really comment much on my preference of labor Lol. I'd just like a healthy baby at the end of it all, if that makes sense!

Had my Anatomy scan yesterday and everything went absolutely GREAT!!! My big boy's measuring right on track, weighing half a pound already. Hubby made a video of the baby kicking and squirming around and keeps watching it over and over again Lol. He's too cute.

Teddys- Sorry but What's made redundant? Not familiar with the term.

Grrr just found out I might be made redundant !!!
I've only been in the job since March !

Anyone know what rights I have or what financial help I might be entitled to ?

If you are made redundant, they need to be able to prove that the decision was made fairly and not just discriminative on the grounds that you are pregnant. They have to be very careful. You wouldn't qualify for statutory redundancy pay with you being there for less than 2 years, but it may be that contractually they offer something. If you are still employed by 25 weeks pregnant (so if the consultation period and notice takes you beyond that) then they are still liable to pay you your SMP.

Hopefully you won't be made redundant though!

Thanks Maz

How much notice do they have to give ?
I work in a school and Friday is the last day before summer holidays !

Idhira, redundancy is were you loose your job thru no fault of your own, for example a company want to save money and make cut backs so they shed off a few staff members. First they get thru the people who will be made redundant voluntarily then if that isn't enough others start loosing their jobs.

Glad all was well at your scan! :)

Teddy, really hope everything works out for you.

Hi all. Had my 20 week scan today and all good. We're team pink!

Thanks Maz

How much notice do they have to give ?
I work in a school and Friday is the last day before summer holidays !

It's generally a week for every years service, up to a maximum of 12 weeks, with 1 week being the minimum. I'd be surprised if a school didn't have a longer notice period written into the contract though, so maybe between 2-4 (although not necessarily)

Also, I would say that they would be unlikely to finalise anything until the start of the new term, in which case you'd then be closer to the 25 week mark. I've never dealt with a school redundancy situation though, so it could still happen during the holidays, if they are wanting to push it through quickly.

Aw Teddysgirl that's rubbish! :( I think it's 18 months for redundancy payouts. In regards to maternity pay I'd get an appointment with citizens advice bureau, see what you're facing!

I'm planning a home birth for the second time but a first time with a pool! Definitely having gas and air tho...it's amazing! :) I hired a tens machine which was great for early labour.

There's a yoga/birthing course locally called birthright that I'm planning on going to aswell :).

Each to their own with labour and birth, we all do what we need to and what feels right. I do believe information is power tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->