Giving birth in a hotel room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously you do not know the definition of bio hazardous waste...

Waste products—e.g., body fluids and tissues—which have the risk of carrying human pathogens.

Blood is a bodily fluid and so is cm etc.

You are so inconsistent and not telling the whole story. In a previous post you even stated you already had a cabin booked for 2wks.

It may not be criminal to where you've committed murder but the hotel can take action against you.

This is crazy. You are being so selfish. :nope:

You are so inconsistent and not telling the whole story. In a previous post you even stated you already had a cabin booked for 2wks.

It may not be criminal to where you've committed murder but the hotel can take action against you.

No she didn't. She said she looked into it but would have to book for two weeks in advance so the cost was prohibitive.

I must admit I think this plan is ludicrous. Surely the easy answer would be to have your midwife travel to you? That way you can labour at home in the early stages and avoid all the hotel issues.

You could offer to pay her costs etc.

I think the point is she wants to be nearby to the hospital should an emergency arise.

Just did a quick Google and, as I'm sure you've already done one yourself so you've probably already read these comments but you may find them helpful.

.ust for future reference, you need to clean the jets if there is a jacuzzi. You do this by filling the up past the jets with the hottest water you can and then adding a good amount of bleach (a cup or two). You run the jets for 10 mn or so and then drain the tub. If the jets were not clean, you will see lots of stuff floating in the water -- black bacteria-laden gunk. I have a friend who owns a store that retails hot tubs, and she will not use hotel jacuzzis because they are not cleaned properly. Apparently when a jacuzzi is drained, it allows for a small amount of water to stay inside the jet mechanism.
When I moved into my house, I did this with my jacuzzi. Even though it looked immaculate to the naked eye (and I had cleaned it as well), I was appalled at the junk that came out of the jacuzzi jets. I had to repeat this process five times before black and brown stuff stopped coming out. The big downside to this process is that you have to use bleach, which smells horrible and burns your nose (and would probably be intolerable during labor), and that it's time consuming.
Maybe your midwife can get to the hotel room before you and do this?

And this one

Just wanted to add my thoughts here, from the hotel's perscpective.
My DH is the Director of Housekeeping at a major hotel here in Phoenix... I talked to him about having the baby at the hotel... he thinks, as a person, it's a fine idea... BUT, from the hotel's perscpective, you have to be REALLY careful and sneaky... at his hotel, if they find out a woman is in labor they require her to leave... it's all about liability... they will not allow themselves to be put in such a position. Now obviously, when a couple checks in they don't ask if the woman is in labor... so it is possible to get away with it... but if any of the other guests complain about noise (and it does happen more than you'd think) they are required to check out the noise... and if you're caught you'll be made to leave.
It is rare for such things to happen... but it is possible.
I also want to add that a previous poster is right... hotel rooms are actually not very clean. After a guest leaves they change the sheets, vacuum, etc... but they don't change the blankets or sterilize anything... the bathtun is given a quick wipedown to remove any nastiness that can be seen... but that's it. Not even all the towels are changed out. If a towel is still hung up, and doesn't *appear* to have been used, it's left in the room.
So, all in all... a hotel is an option... but you have to be very careful about it

Apparently hotel births happen more frequently than one would imagine.

My midwife can't travel to me, I asked that.

Darlin65, you can't think of a single example of what might happen to a future guest if i birth there?

These arguments seem emotive, not rational. Support your claims with evidence!

I think the OP is just trying to get a rise out of us. She obviously has already made her decision, even for the questions and suggestions she asked for originally. Excuses and reasons have already been made before anyone brought them up.

Might I just say that "cleaning up" and "sterilizing" are very different things? Also, just because you don't believe your bodily fluids are hazardous waste doesn't mean they aren't. Spit, snot, mucus, blood, urine, etc. are all hazardous waste.

You can also preach your righteous views about the beauty of childbirth all you want (I have a feeling that's all you wanted to do in the first place). In reality, childbirth IS a medical procedure whether you see it that way or not. The hotel IS held liable for the safety of its patrons and even though you claim there's no penalty for "lying" or breaching a contract in your country, doesn't mean you have a damn clue what you're talking about. They could fine you for damages or violating their property and contract faster than you could believe. So much for maternity leave then!

I totally agree with a PP about how out-of-hospital births are perfectly wonderful, if ALL PARTIES are involved and aware. If you don't want to give birth at a hospital, drop the shady, holier-than-thou act and ask for permission instead of sneaking around.

You claim to know how hotels work and how dirty and gross they are, especially with what other people do and leave in them. What actions would you take if you or your baby contracted a serious infection or disease because someone had sex (another beautiful and natural function you yourself have obviously taken part in) in your hotel room and left their fluids behind? You simply can not bleach and sterilize a hotel room the same way you might a hospital room or a more honest (and naturally cleaner) place to birth (whether it be a friends house, your own bedroom, etc). You won't be able to sue the hotel because you lied about your reasons for being there and broke their rules. Since you live so incredibly far from any hospital at all, how would you take care of a baby with hepatitis or some other infection it picked up from a "cleanish" hotel room?

If you are SO against a hospital birth, why go through the ruse at all? Since clearly you have absolutely no intention of following through with any other plan or suggestion than the selfish, deceitful idea you've concocted.

By the way, how do you get to and from your prenatal appointments? 2 hours drive as often as we women go to checkups is a tad excessive.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of immune deficiency a future guest might have, but diseases are very often (aka, USUALLY!) transmitted through bodily fluids and contamination. Unless you have a microscope or a full blood work up of every single germ you have an immunity to, you have no idea what kind of "harmless" diseases or viruses you could leave behind that could affect someone with a weaker immunity system. Such as an infant or elderly person. Or even someone with cancer who also wants to take advantage of the nearby hospital.

Examples.

I know a previous post asked this and sorry if you replied and I missed it but won't it look slightly strange if you check in pregnant then check out with a baby? Also won't the hotel staff notice the midwife etc going in with all the equipment?

I think it's completely your choice, I wouldn't do it but I only live about 20 minutes from my nearest hospital so don't have to. I'm just curious about the above!

I also want to add that a previous poster is right... hotel rooms are actually not very clean. After a guest leaves they change the sheets, vacuum, etc... but they don't change the blankets or sterilize anything... the bathtun is given a quick wipedown to remove any nastiness that can be seen... but that's it. Not even all the towels are changed out. If a towel is still hung up, and doesn't *appear* to have been used, it's left in the room.

This is all completely true. :/

Its bad enough finding a used condom inbetween the bedsheets. (too many times to mention :rofl:)
You cant guarantee you'll be leaving that hotel room in perfect condition, its such a risk.

I haven't read all the posts here and I'm not trying to rile up a hot debate but I just wanted to express my sympathy. While I do think giving birth in a hotel is far from ideal for many reasons (I won't list them because I'm sure they have already been brought up) I reacently found myself desperately looking for options for my birth, I was very upset and desperate to find something I felt safe with, and I found myself considering some pretty far out things. I was very unhappy about the local hospital but equally uncomfortable about an unassised birth. My mother, who knew the circumstances even offered to buy me a campervan to park in the hospital carpark, lol. Thankfully with a few weeks to go I finally found a MW who would travel to my house and I had a lovely HB but I honestly don't know what I would have done otherwise. As for mess, birth isn't as messy as people think. A good waterpoof sheet, a couple of bed protecter pads and towels that can be thrown away/removed and there likely won't be any more mess to clean up. I'm not saying I think its exactly a good idea but I can understand where you are coming from. I hope things go well for you whatever you decide.

You ladies have made me never want to go near a hotel room again, let alone ever birth in one haha :rofl:

A condom between the sheets :shock: haha.
Thank god our holiday lodging is my parents house *phew* lol.

Yeah HoneyBee im still wondering what will happen, I asked about walking out with a baby lol.

Guys shes made up her mind, I say we just leave it alone. Its upsetting me, but at the end of the day she has her excuses for everything and as bad as it is there isnt stopping anyone. Unfortunately we are all on the internet, unable to do much expect type. She asked our opinions, we gave them, she got mad. Shes made up her mind.

I understand not wanting a hospital birth, but sometimes in life we dont get everything we want. There are holes in her story which i dont get either, but maybe its time we all just let it go.. its upsetting all of us.

Viola - You asked for an opinion. We are giving you one. You dont want to listen, fine, but understand where we are coming from, caring about the well being of you and your baby.

Lets just hope that it all gets cleaned up for the person who goes to stay in that room next. I also have found odd things in even the most expensive hotels. :haha:

You said you would book the room online when labour starts?What if they're fully booked and you simply can't get a room?

My daughter didn't breath when she was first born, they had to rush her away from me to resuscitate her. So I would never complentate giving birth in a an hotel room. Obviously whatever you decide is what's best for you and your LO x

"I know a previous post asked this and sorry if you replied and I missed it but won't it look slightly strange if you check in pregnant then check out with a baby? Also won't the hotel staff notice the midwife etc going in with all the equipment?"

Will it matter at that point?

I really don't understand those who opposed to this on the basis that it poses risk of harm to future guests due to "bio hazardous waste". As those of you who are so concerned with the bio hazardous waste have mentioned, there's a lot that counts as bio hazard, including puke, semen, etc. Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to have sex in a hotel either? Is the bio hazardous waste associated with birth more dangerous than other bio hazardous waste? Again, what kind of increased risk would a future hotel guest be at as a result of me giving birth there, that they wouldn't be at say by someone having sex there. Gimme a break.

The last time i gave birth the hospital tried to pressure me into an unnecessary c-section for 8 hours. They told me over and over that i wouldn't ever dilate to 10. They wanted to cut me for failure to progress. C=sections have all kinds of increased risks to both baby and mother, including a far increased risk of maternal mortality. They forced me to go 2 days without food, and when i refused the c-section they tried to bribe me with food, since they knew i was starving. In the end i did dilate to 10 and they were like "wow, we can't believe that actually happened", and all i could think was "how many women have been cut for nothing?" After that experience i started doing some digging and it turns out that mom and baby are both SAFER out of a hospital than in it (for low risk pregnancies, which mine are/were). These are statistics published by health authorities.

So you can blindly follow the medical dogma all you want, abdicate your responsibility and do whatever you think is best for you. But i will not ever feel guilty for refusing to put myself and my child at risk. I certainly won't feel guilty for refusing to put a hotel ahead of my health and that of my baby. If that makes me selfish, so be it.

And to clarify, I NEVER asked for opinions as to whether or not i should take this course of action, merely for ideas on how to address some of the issues that are bound to come up.

https://www.amnestyusa.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/deadlydelivery.pdf

THe problem is that you asked for suggestions for problems that can and will come up, but then you deny that they're problems and make up excuses for why they aren't. Then you ignore anyone with valid problems that you don't feel like addressing. Pretty sure you're just trying to get everyone in a tizzy. Do what you want since you will anyways, but when you get booted from the hotel and forced into the hospital, come back. We'll be sure to tell you we told you so.

Im.saddened by all the scaremongering posts on here :( I'd never heard of hotel births before and it did sound a little unusualbut after doing some.research it seems its becoming a growing practice among women who want out of hospital births and have no other options -even some I've read were simply because there were too many people in their house and they wanted peace and quiet.

Google took me to many other forums where similar questions had been posed and the answers were always respectful even when the poster didn't agree with birthing in a hotel.

Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back