hits and misses

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowy-willow

Mummy to Ella
Reaction score
What were the hits and misses in your house last Christmas and birthday?

Last Xmas the biggest miss was the toot toot garage and the big bit was the little people princess castle and figures.

My younger daughter loved everything we got her, the biggest hit though was the Duplo blocks.

My older DD loved her Mobigo and both girls still love it and fight over it constantly, I'm considering getting her something for older kids this year and passing it on to the younger one though, all the games are super easy for her. The biggest disappointment it seems have been the Rapunzel dolls she asked for from Santa, they were what she said she wanted but they've never really been touched after Christmas morning.

Biggest hit was probably toot toot garage, track and cars for DS2, even DS1 enjoys playing it with him.

For DS1 it was probably his scooter, gets daily use!

Misses were DS1 playmobil although he is starting to show more interest I think recently and for Ds2 nothing particular, he has played with most things xx

Biggest hit for morgan was the innotab
Biggest miss for him was the wooden garage its barely been looked at

Harveys biggest hit was probobly the car ramp he loves that and happyland stuff
Biggest miss was the toot toot garage (it was for bday though)

Biggest miss for them both was the wooden train table. I think id binned the track by new year
They use the road bits for cars now but ill get rid before xmas i think

Biggest hits were bigjigs train set and duplo. All his books went down very well too.

Some of the things that haven't been played with much are the smaller toys that I though were a good idea at the time like a little car launcher, little planes microdrifter launcher etc - they got played with for a day or so then forgotten about. I'm going to stick to big things I know he'll love this year!

Hit for DS was the ELC Wooden Train Table
Miss for DS was the Vtech Toot Toot Airport

Hit for DD was her Micro Scooter
Miss for DD was her Doc McStuffin Interactive Doll

Xmas
Hits marble race, and wooden car garage
Misses furby

Bday
Hits wooden marble race by Hape, Lego set
Misses Hotwheels sets

Hits:duplo/unico (cheaper brand of duplo but excellent)
Balance bike
Animal figures
Miss: happyland

He plays with most things, but…

He was 12 months when he received all of these:

Hits:
Little People
Wooden train set (but 6 months later)
Leapfrog Leaptop

His climber/slide was a big hit, but it's been in the playroom for 7 months and he's bored with it now. We kept the giant box it came in too and he plays with that more than the slide!

Misses:
Mega Bloks & Duplo - he doesn't do much with them yet, but is starting to slowly… maybe next year?
Vtech Interactive Zoo - small annoying loud toy… (not chosen by me)
My Pal Scout - again, it's ok, but he doesn't use it much
Foam blocks (also not from me)

Biggest hit for us was the Little Tikes Wooden Kitchen and the accessories I bought to go with it. DS has played with it every day, he loves it. He was just under 2 at xmas (January birthday) so I worried he wouldn't get much use out of it at first, but he used it straight away making tea and toast! He also loves the ELC keyboard my brother got him, and his wooden train set.

Biggest miss for us was the Innotab, I can count on one hand the number of times he's used it. I was on the fence about buying that or a proper kid's android tablet, but chose the innotab because it was more rugged. Unfortunately the picture quality, touch screen and variety of apps etc is nothing like the mobile phones/tablets he uses with us, so it was a great big fail. He's getting a cheap tablet this year instead, to keep him off ours!

Hits for DD last year (3rd b'day and Christmas) and still played with:

Playmobil
Brio train set
Lego duplo
Elc build it set with a drill
Schleich animals

Misses
Leapfrog Tag Junior
Leapfrog story telling thing - not sure what it is!
Too many Orchard toys games - should have just bought one instead of loads of them which are all pretty similar with different themes!
Playdoh - five minute wonder then loses interest

Hits:
- little people disney castle and people
- orchard puzzles

Misses:
- elc wooden kitchen hardly used
- graco dolls set

Hits:
Ds: wooden train track (but more in last few months)
Dd: Melissa and Doug trolley

Misses:
Ds: elephant ball blowing thing and moving dinosaur
Dd:wooden till(she would have referred a more interactive one), toy animals (Ds loves them though!)

Misses - tickle me elmo, I was sure this would be a huge hit as she loved elmo at the time and we previously had a drumming elmo which was played with so much it broke , but nope hardly touched it in the last 8 months and looks brand new.

Hits- mega blocks and for her birthday toy story toys.

What a brill thread! Obviously every family is different but what I have learnt is that some of the previous years misses have become hits as LO has got older.
Know the tablet thing is an on-going debate but I for us the kids tablets (leapfrog etc) have been a waste, if parents have iPhones/iPads and the kids pick them up as they invariably do then nothing else really matches up and actually some of the kids Apps are great!! We had fingers burnt twice now first buying a leap pad then a cheap tablet and still he goes back to our iPad!!

Hits; Duplo, wooden train set/brio, remote control toddler car (more recently), drum set, happyland dino, road mat

Misses; small cars in stocking, toot toot garage (but cars get played with on his road mat), elc garage, plastic kitchen from his gran (Wasn't the one I'd wanted but I mustn't have been clear on what he liked about the one at play group, I'll be getting him a proper wooden one for a joint Christmas pressie with his sister not this christmas but next).

The hits and misses are complicated for me, William is really hard to buy for, he is autistic and doesn't play in a normal sense of the word. Thomas is hard to buy for because he wasn't even a year old.

Anyway-

William
Hits: Leappad (massive, massive hit)
Misses: Wooden garage (loved on Christmas day and ignored ever since) and Imaginext Submarine (never touched)

Thomas
Hits: My Pal Scout (but only recently) and Magnetic cars trio (he loves the taxi in it)
There was no real misses, he likes everything.

I hope to have some more real real hits for Thomas rather than just him vaguely liking everything. He has more defined interests now he is a bit older. William is still very hard to buy for but I have two great ideas that should be real hits.

Last years Christmas hits and misses (aged 2 1/4)

Hits
Marble run
Wooden kitchen
Android tablet
Duplo
One of those cheap foam gliders

Misses
CD player (a relative got it along with some CDs and books, the books get read nothing else gets touched)
A crazy giggly vibrating thing from hamleys (he really hates it)

Hits: (almost 11mts)
toot toot garage,
toot toot cars,
vtech phonics bus,
singing Mickey mouse (from sil)
Books
Ride on Thomas

Misses:
Mega blocks
Mamas and papas, rocking cow
Happyland (too young, will give him again soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"