Is this normal???

sammynashley

Reaction score
Hi ladies not sure if this belongs here. I tested positive at the beginning of December, sadly I miscarried on the 27th of December at 6w5d it was quite horrific and the worst experience I’ve had...I’m gunna cut to the chase the hospital asked me to test in 2 weeks and if it was positive to go back to the hospital. Well I tested today 10days after and my test is still a blaring positive. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 207CCBCA-2F47-4680-A49E-04E0E600ABB5.jpg
    207CCBCA-2F47-4680-A49E-04E0E600ABB5.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 41
Yes it can be very normal, it sometimes takes a while for the hcg to leave completely and tests are so sensitive these days that they pick up on very small amounts. Did they scan you after you miscarried?

Oh ok thank you, no they didn’t scan me. They said from what I had described and the pain that I was in that it was a miscarriage and to test again in two weeks and the test should be negative.?

I dont think id have been happy with them just writing off the pregnancy without doing a scan or bloodwork. Especially considering you were in pain, they should have scanned to rule out ectopic.
Lots of people bleed in pregnancy for reasons other than miscarriage. Of course, I'm not wanting to get your hopes up, but I'd definitely be asking for a scan.

I’d had a scan a week prior to the miscarriage because I’d had shoulder pain and some spotting so they thought it was ectopic. The scan showed a sac in the right place and some “free fluid” I had a scan booked for the 2nd for a follow up but when I rang them to say I’d been bleeding and lost huge clots they didn’t seem phased just said test again in 2 weeks and the test should be negative and also cancelled my scan. My morning sickness has disappeared and I’m not feeling pregnant anymore but the test just seemed very in your face still.

You need another scan. It's not uncommon to still test positive though. My last mc my hcg was still at 17 6 weeks post natural mc.

I think it's really bad practice of them to have cancelled the scan. Maybe try testing again in a couple of days see if the lines got lighter and if not get back on to them?

I personally thought that they would have wanted to scan and atleast check. But they didn’t seem interested. I’ll give it a few more days and if the lines haven’t faded I’ll ring the epu.

How odd of them to cancel the scan x

Well I rang up for advice and said to them about my scan and they said don’t worry about the scan we’ll cancel it. So I feel like I’m in limbo. I had a mc earlier in the year and my tests where negative by now.

I agree that's really bad practice. It did take me 4-6 weeks for my hcg to get low enough to ovulate again and then a couple more to disappear completely. I've passed clots in a pregnancy before, and it was simply a threatened miscarriage not a complete mc. So they really should have done bloodwork or a scan. That's really irresponsible. I would ring them again and politely but sternly request either serial betas to be done or a scan or both.

I think I’ll ring them in the morning if Ican get through to them and ask their advice. I’m partially not surprised at how I e been treated by them. While I was there having my scan before my mc another woman was told she had an ectopic pregnancy infront of the waiting room with no consideration.

I wouldn’t ask advice. I’d tell them what needs to happen

Wow def get yourself an appointment just to make sure all is well. All the best xx

Yeah I'd definitely go for a second opinion. I had a practice do that to me once. They blew me off, told me I was going to miscarry no matter what and gave me some depression meds to get through it. Never offered follow up scans or anything so I hiked myself to a different doctor. I just wanted to make sure I really was going to miscarry. They gave me three scans and did bloods at the new place. Sure enough my levels were going down and my scan showed no growth, but at least I felt comfort knowing that I truly was miscarrying rather than waiting in limbo.

On a side note (I've miscarried three times total) it took me between 2-6 weeks for my levels to be completely negative, in which case most pregnancy tests would still be picking up the hcg, so yes, it can take some time.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck speaking to the drs tomorrow xx

I would definitely call the EPU back and tell them you need another scan. x

I agree with above advice. Don't ask them, tell them. Demand another scan. This is your health, and they shouldn't be messing around like that. When I had my mc at 8 weeks, despite the fact I had bled heavily, lost clots and was in a lot of pain, they still insisted I come in for a scan to make sure I had miscarried everything. Thankfully it wasn't complicated and I had lost everything naturally. They didn't ask me to test, they just scanned me. Most efficient way to do it imo

It took 3 weeks for my results to go back to normal, I'd definitely be going back though, blood work or scan is obviously needed xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->