January 2020 Garnets

Hi everyone, sorry I've not been on. Forgot how exhausting it is having lots of visitors and a newborn.

Congratulations to everyone who has since had their babies. They are all beautiful.

Cohen's getting on well. He got weighed yesterday and is back up to 8lb9oz which was his birth weight and his jaundice is going so he won't need treatment. He is being an absolute dream. The kids are besotted with him.

Here's a picture from yesterday of my little man. Now 15 days old xx

Screenshot_20200130_120709_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Fit mama - sorry you’re not feeling human again yet. I’m sure it’ll come! It’s hard with such sleep deprivation. That will be hard with your 4-year-old only in daycare 2 days a week soon and with your husband back at work. My DH will be back to work after next week, and my girls are not in daycare at all, so I’m definitely terrified of what’s to come! The worst thing will be taking dd1 to and from school every day with Aubrey and dd2 in tow. Right now, my DH is doing it while I sleep in.

going for it - yep, the sleep deprivation is no joke! That’s great that Caitlin’s weight is on track. 1 lb is a lot to lose, but so glad to hear she has already re-gained it! I hope the jaundice continues to fade so you won’t need treatment!

Sophie - it is definitely exhausting having visitors. We are being extra kind to ourselves this time and have barely had anyone to visit. We haven’t even invited DH’s siblings over yet. We should probably soon, but DH has also been working from home (on his supposed “vacation”) so he doesn’t want to take too many breaks from that.
That’s best Cohen is back to his birth weight and won’t need treatment for his jaundice!
Both dd1 and dd2 were slightly jaundiced, but I don’t think Aubrey is. We actually never had a HV this time so don’t really know for sure but she doesn’t really look it? And she wasn’t in the hospital.

AFM - Aubrey is doing great and feeding well, but nursing is quite painful on initial latch. I think she is latching okay and that I’m just sore from when she hurt it the first few times feeding, but I don’t really know for sure because, again, no one is coming to visit me at home this time. I’ve noticed the nurses seemed to just assume I knew what I was doing this time because it’s my third. Oh well. I know she is swallowing and I’m guessing she has gained weight. She’ll see the doctor next week so I’m not too worried.

Unfortunately, she naps great all day but then cluster feeds into the wee hours of the morning. She also was awake for a good couple hours in the middle of the night last night. Very exhausting! I know it’s to be expected in these early days, but I hope she gets on a better schedule soon.
I am loving having a baby around and had almost forgotten how much I love the newborn stage. I have definitely been somewhat emotional - especially in the evenings - but I have been in a better mood today and also managed to have a nap.

Hi again!

Congratulations to all the moms that have their little ones now - there's been a few since I was last on!

Sorry for going completely MIA, but it's been a crazy (almost) 3 weeks. Nothing too exciting, but just trying to juggle six little ones is tougher than I thought it would be!

For those of you who asked why my delivery was so hard, I won't bore you with all the small details, but essentially the anesthesiologist didn't place the epidural in the proper spot. They wouldn't let me out of bed because they were having a hard time monitoring Quade's heartbeat, so I asked for an epidural since I was also on pitocin (and I know the contractions are quite painful if you can't get around and move). Anyhow, fast forward a few hours later, the contractions were really hurting, and felt much like my natural labor, but the nurses kept insisting I was feeling pressure. By the time he was born, I knew for sure that it wasn't pressure, and the pain was excruciating even after he was born (I couldn't even hold him for the first hour - it hurt that bad). Within a couple of days, I had the worst migraine of my life, and they realized that I was leaking spinal fluid (from the misplaced epidural), and needed a blood patch.

I'm all for natural labor, and have done it before, but I need to be able to move around and not be lying on my back. I also hate not being believed, as when I was telling them I knew it was pain and not pressure, and to please call him back. Or, when I told them I knew I was getting ready to push, and they insisted that I was only 6 cm ten minutes ago. Sure enough - out he came! I didn't get the home birth, or my husband catching him, or the perfect birth photos. BUT - I got the sweetest little boy out of it. :)

MommyPrice - I can’t imagine trying to care for 6 little ones! That would be extremely difficult. Don’t beat yourself up about having a hard time with it! I hope it starts to get a little bit easier soon.

I am so sorry about the botched epidural resulting in complications. That is so annoying that the nurses kept insisting you felt pressure and not pain. I hate when medical professionals won’t believe you about things! I totally understand why you would want an epidural if you were forced to lie on your back. I have had one birth with epidural and two without now, but I definitely had to be up and either standing or at least sitting very upright to cope without one. It’s too bad that getting one ended up with so much pain and so many side effects. Hugs!
I am glad you’re choosing to focus on the positives and that you have your sweet baby boy after all of it even though it wasn’t the birth you had envisioned.

Afm - DH went to bed early last night and of course Aubrey decided to have her first very fussy evening. I had to put dd2 to bed by myself for the first time, and dd2 ended up crying “MOMMY!” over and over again for an hour, and I was only able to check on her a few times because I was too busy with Aubrey’s fussiness. It was quite overwhelming and made me quite fearful of when DH goes back to work. :/

Congrats Bumblebee and Literati! I haven’t checked in here for a week or so.
Also, congrats JD, I’ve been wondering how you were doing. Sounds like your pregnancy was super hard!
Violet is about 8 lbs now. She also does cluster feeding a lot in the evenings. Sometimes so often that my boobs are completely empty and I start to worry she isn’t getting enough. But I guess it’s normal? Since I had over supply with my other kids I never worried about that. Wish I still had that problem! My husband goes back to work this week. Ugh, not looking forward to it as violet does not want to go to sleep until around 3-4 am! She fussed so much late at night. I think because she is so gassy. She does a lot of grunting and straining. She still poi’s several times a day. But she swallows so much air sometimes when she is nursing. My letdown is fast but also her latch is not great. I had a lactation consultant come and check it and she said she is sure she has a tongue tie. It would make sense since it still takes several tries to get her to latch on. She has an appointment on Wed with a pediatric dentist that specializes in lip and tongue ties. So we will see if he decides it does need to be fixed. Also, my nipples are still sore which is weird. With my other kids the pain went away by 10-14 days. Violet is now 5 weeks old.

Literati I am with you on the fussiness and feelings regarding husband returning to work. My husband returns tomorrow and I'm feeling rather anxious about it. Our toddler is going through the adjustment of having a sibling and has been hard work too. Caitlin jas wanted feeding every hour basically today too. Added to that the lack of sleep it's been a hard day.

MommyPrice I'm sorry you had a rough experience with labour. Caring for 6 little ones is unimaginable for me. The two are certainly enough to keep me busy for now.

My husband really isn't coping with the lack of sleep...even though he is getting loads more than me. He told me to discuss what is wrong with Caitlin with the gaelth visitor today. Anyone got any tips on helping her to sleep,,? She is breastfed so gluster feeding but seems too gassy to settle at night. She's been awake 930pm-230 for a few days and then gets a stint of a few hours sleep after.

Literati I am with you on the fussiness and feelings regarding husband returning to work. My husband returns tomorrow and I'm feeling rather anxious about it. Our toddler is going through the adjustment of having a sibling and has been hard work too. Caitlin jas wanted feeding every hour basically today too. Added to that the lack of sleep it's been a hard day.

MommyPrice I'm sorry you had a rough experience with labour. Caring for 6 little ones is unimaginable for me. The two are certainly enough to keep me busy for now.

Ashley, that feeding pattern sounds similar to Caitlin's. They know what they need and as long as they are putting on weight then I think all is well.

Nora is doing well. Not much to report. 7 weeks old today!

Im sorry some of you are having a rough time.

OnErth I cannot quite believe that Nora is already 7 weeks old. So glad that things are going well xx

AFM - Aubrey is doing great and feeding well, but nursing is quite painful on initial latch. I think she is latching okay and that I’m just sore from when she hurt it the first few times feeding, but I don’t really know for sure because, again, no one is coming to visit me at home this time. I’ve noticed the nurses seemed to just assume I knew what I was doing this time because it’s my third. Oh well. I know she is swallowing and I’m guessing she has gained weight. She’ll see the doctor next week so I’m not too worried.

Unfortunately, she naps great all day but then cluster feeds into the wee hours of the morning. She also was awake for a good couple hours in the middle of the night last night. Very exhausting! I know it’s to be expected in these early days, but I hope she gets on a better schedule soon.
I am loving having a baby around and had almost forgotten how much I love the newborn stage. I have definitely been somewhat emotional - especially in the evenings - but I have been in a better mood today and also managed to have a nap.
This so could have been me writing this :lol:

I have some pain too when she latches on, she doesn't have a great latch and prefers nipple sucking but we are getting there - she has plently of wet and dirty nappies so i'm not too concerned. It could be that my breasts are tender, but I only stopped feeding DD2 6 months ago!

We also tend to have cluster feeding at night and she hates the crib! The minute we put her down in it she wakes and starts fussing. We will work on it but at the moment, for all our sanity, we are co-sleeping... Well sort of - DH and I take it in turns to sleep so one of us is always awake whilst she is asleep on our bed. This is fine until he has to go back to work...

We had the health visitor come out today and had to listen to them waffle on about how co-sleeping was bad (I didn't dare mention that we do it :lol: ) We also co-slept with our other two, but not this young. I am hoping to transition her into her crib soon though - probably over half term so that if she does fuss and wake the others, they don't have to get up in the morning.

She had lost just over 7% at day 3, we had her weighed again today at day 11 and she has regained 4.7% of that weight so is now just 3 oz under her birth weight. Hopefully she should be back up to her birth weight again soon :)

Just off to out of hours to have my dcar looked at. Think I have an infection

Turns out it is infected. I'm on antibiotics to try to fight it...Fingers crossed that they do their job and work quickly!

Ugh goingforit. So sorry! Hope it clears up quick!
Omg, so I got violets tongue tie corrected earlier today. I wish I’d never done it!! She is in so much pain and absolutely will not latch on. Everytime I try and latch her on she will suck once or twice and pull off screaming in pain. Why does nobody tell you this? They all make it seem like some easy painless procedure. After they did it they told me the next week would be rough and that she may initially not want to latch but once her tongue was moving a little she would be okay. But I tried multiple times with no luck. I would calm her down and try again and nope. Also she is just very fussy because it’s hurting her. She keeps crying and I can’t calm her down. My husband is super upset. He told me not to get it done in the first place. But I thought it would be a quick no brainer. He is more emotional over seeing her in pain and said they cut it way too much. They actually used a laser. And I have to rub where they lazered several times a day so it doesn’t heal back in the same way. I have to do that for 2 weeks. She screams horribly each time! I feel awful and very stressed now. What if this affects her so much she never wants to latch? I’m going to have to bottle feed her soon if she doesn’t latch.

That's one reason I refuse to entertain the idea of Nora having a tie. My midwife says she has a slight one and it needs fixed. Everyone says the same, its quick, etc but BULL. If we breastfeed for a short time, I'll take it. Im not purposely causing my daughter UNNECESSARY pain!

Ymmv

Goingforit - I hope the antibiotics clear up the infection quickly, it is always a worry after a c-section - I am keeping a close eye on mine.

Ashley - that sound horrible, poor Violet :( I hope the pain subsides quickly and she latches on again soon.

Going for it - I can really relate to your post! My DH also isn’t coping with the sleep deprivation even though he actually doesn’t help with Aubrey at all during the night! He helps with the older two, but they slept through the night 4 nights in a row and he still needed a 4-hour nap the one day and a 2-hour nap the next. :dohh: It’s
honestly quite frustrating, but at least he has been letting me sleep in each day which makes a huge difference to me so I am trying not to complain.

How has it gone with your husband returning to work this week? I hope you have been coping okay. The cluster feeding til 2:30 am sounds Exhausting! Aubrey did the same thing the first few nights but now she seems to settle by midnight, which is definitely more manageable! You poor thing.

I’m sorry your toddler is having a difficult adjustment period. I remember when I first had dd2, my dd1 had a horribly hard time with it. She acted out big time and made herself really hard work. I realize she was misbehaving to get attention, but it was still so difficult. I also felt like we had lost our special one-on-one bond and I cried a lot and felt terribly guilty about it. It is really hard! So you are not alone. I hope your toddler adjusts soon.

I am sorry you have an infection but I hope the antibiotics clear it up very quickly!

Serenyx - sorry you’ve been experiencing the same pain with initial latching. Have you found it has gotten any better? My pain has thankfully subsided, although sometimes it still pinches a little. For me, I found that using lanolin cream at night and nursing in the side-lying position at night seemed to help give them the rest they needed. After a couple days, the pain subsided. If you’re still having a lot of pain, I would definitely ask a nurse or LC about it.

We are the exact same here with having to cosleep out of necessity. Aubrey simply won’t settle at night in the bassinet. At first, she would never settle in the bassinet, but now I am able to get her to nap there during the day, but as soon as 10 pm hits, she refuses to settle in there. I need sleep so am just going with it. I, too, co-slept with my other 2 but would prefer not to have to co-sleep with her SO young. It makes me nervous. However, I really cannot stay up all night so this is how it has to be. I am going to continue to encourage naps in the bassinet during the day and hope that it eventually helps at night.

That is very cautious of you and your DH to take turns staying awake and watch her. Must be exhausting. When does your DH return to work?

Ashley - I am so sorry that correcting the tongue tie has resulted in so much pain and difficulty latching for her! That is terrible that no one warned you. You had no way of knowing, so try not to feel guilty about it. You were doing what you thought was best! Hopefully she is in a lot less pain soon. I’m sure the first few days would be the worst? Hang in there, mama! You’re doing an awesome job!

AFM - sorry I haven’t updated in a few days. I have been reading and loved all the updates but have been too overwhelmed and busy to reply. The days are just passing by in a blur and I can’t believe how quickly time is passing. Last night I had a little cry that she doesn’t look the same anymore and wishing I could re-live her first 24 hours again. I am having a very emotional time with the “baby blues” and am really hoping they subside soon.

My DH has been working from home way too much during his “holidays” and it has been very disappointing to me. He will now take an extra couple days off next week to “make up” for the extra time he worked, but it honestly doesn’t begin to cover for him being busy constantly during his supposed time off. I am feeling frustrated, but trying to be grateful for him at least being home.

The girls are adjusting pretty nicely and love having a baby sister so much. However, there have definitely been some meltdowns. They also want to hold Aubrey a bit too much and I tend to feel smothered trying to fit all 3 on my lap at once, but I’m glad they’re pretty happy at least.

Hey all sorry I haven’t updated I have been reading when I can. Our perfect little boy was born 28/1/20 at 8.25am. He’s honestly amazing. The birth was pretty traumatic but he arrived safely which is all that matters. He then got quite poorly after a blissful few days at home and we’ve been back in the hospital, however he’s now fine and we’re home which is such a relief. I feel like I have to watch him every second in case he picked something else up in the hospital. They did a lumbar puncture on him which was the worst thing I have ever seen. He’s been cluster feeding (6 hours is our current record) and is having a lot of tummy ache, which I think is from the antibiotics but not sure whether maybe it’s colic. I am feeling quite down as I feel like I’ve already failed him by letting him get sick and what he went through in the hospital. But he is okay. I’m hoping we can get back to that lovely place we were before everything went wrong.
I hope everyone else is doing well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->