January Jelly Beans 2014!

Don't they have to scan you near the end so they know where your placenta is or what the position the baby is in? Or is there another way they find that out?

Don't they have to scan you near the end so they know where your placenta is or what the position the baby is in? Or is there another way they find that out?

I had a scan in the hospital right before they did my csection to see which way he was laying. But I didn't see anything and had been in the hospital for two days at that point so didn't really care :rolleyes: I just wanted it to all be over!

In the UK they only check your placenta position later on if it was in a place that could be a problem at your 20 week scan. I had a super quick scan at 35 weeks with DD cos the consultant couldn't tell if she was breech or head down.

Emmy, they can usually tell where the placenta is on your 20 week scan. If it's particularly low-lying or causing a problem they might order more scans later on to see what's happening. At least, that's the system in the UK.

I had a c-section last time and they didn't scan to look for the placenta because they already knew it was high (and anterior, so on the front) but they knew it wouldn't be in the way.

Placentas do move during pregnancy but they tend to go upwards. That's why when most women are diagnosed with placenta previa (partial or sometimes full) it will move out of the way of the cervix during pregnancy as the womb stretches.

:D

My doctor never said anything to me about checking the location of my placenta when I was pregnant with my son. I assume she saw where it was during one of my scans but it was never metioned to me. The location of my placenta never seemed to be an issue so it was never talked about. As for position, I think that can sometimes be told just by the doctor/midwife feeling your stomach, but I could be wrong about that.

My placenta was low at my 12 week so I'm hoping its moved up for my 20 week. I think they can feel if baby is breech sometimes cus they try and move the baby themselves first, I'm a first time mum so all my prior knowledge is from one born every minute :haha:

My placenta was low at my 12 week so I'm hoping its moved up for my 20 week. I think they can feel if baby is breech sometimes cus they try and move the baby themselves first, I'm a first time mum so all my prior knowledge is from one born every minute :haha:

Im addicted to watching one born every minute lol

As Laura said,a scan done at 20weeks will show position of placenta. Only if its in a critical position,it'll be checked again. As for baby's lie and position,a MW or doctor can palpate our abdomen and find out where baby's head is(unless abdominal wall is thick,in which case an ultrasound will be needed)

They checked my placenta today it's posterior and my sons head is really low down like he's doing a dive he wouldn't move so going back in 4 weeks bc of high risk and to do more measurements he is a stubborn little boy just like daddy here's his profile pic :)

https://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/lucy529/th_IMG_20130822_213614_088_zpsebc52cda.jpg

My sis has been told she has placenta previa and she has to go back at 36 weeks for an internal exam to see where it's at then. If its still the same it will mean a c section for her.

I'm having my scan in 9 days so hopefully mine will be ok. Having a rubbish few days feeling sick and tired. Always struggle at the end of the week.

Hi. Here we attend hospital for a 12 week and 20 week scan. If u r higher risk u get a 28 week appointment.

Quick question- anyone getting bad tummy tightenings? I've had them this morning and a bit concerned. Had them with last baby but much much further on.

Worriedk, can they be bh? How frequent do you get those? I read somewhere that you need to be worried only if they occur more than 4times an hour.

WorriedK, like despttc said, its more than likely braxton hickds and nothing to worry about. From what I hear, it's possible to get them fairly early and I know of others who got them around 19/20 weeks (I'm not sure how far along you are). I never had any with my son and haven't so far this time either so I don't really have any experience. But I would think as long as they aren't painful and coming in rapid succession, I would think everything is OK. But if you are really concerned, it can never hurt to give your doctor/midwife a call and get their opinion.

I get them, usually early in the AM if I have to pee- this morning I woke up ever half hour to BH and being uncomfortable- bad night sleep

Thank you for you replies. Means a lot. I've been getting them a lot today prob about 10 times so far. Not sore but just weird. I'm 19 weeks. I've also started today to need to pee a lot more and first of my heartburn. Yuk! Hope u r all keeping well.x

WorriedK, like despttc said, its more than likely braxton hickds and nothing to worry about. From what I hear, it's possible to get them fairly early and I know of others who got them around 19/20 weeks (I'm not sure how far along you are). I never had any with my son and haven't so far this time either so I don't really have any experience. But I would think as long as they aren't painful and coming in rapid succession, I would think everything is OK. But if you are really concerned, it can never hurt to give your doctor/midwife a call and get their opinion.

Did you have a csection with your son? I never had any Braxton hicks with DS either and didn't have any contractions when I was induced too. I ended up with a csection in the end and was wondering if you experienced the same? I'm convinced my body is broken when it comes to getting a baby out :(

Did you have a csection with your son? I never had any Braxton hicks with DS either and didn't have any contractions when I was induced too. I ended up with a csection in the end and was wondering if you experienced the same? I'm convinced my body is broken when it comes to getting a baby out :(

No, I didn't have my son via c-section. I actually had him vaginally; so I definitely experienced contractions. I doubt your body is broken. :hugs: As long as you grow healthy babies, I wouldn't worry about how they get out. :) I actually have a friend who had a similar experience from you except she had what she thought were contractions for like a week (not painful) but never dilated; they even tried inducing her as well. But nothing worked so she ended up with a c-section. Afterwards her doctor told her that she was never actually in labor or having contractions. I always thought that was a strange response from her doctor. She actually just had her second baby back in April but I'm not sure if she had a c-section with him as well (we used to work together but no longer do and don't speak as much as we used to unfortunately). If I get a chance I'll have to ask her what her second experience was like. Sorry I'm not much help but I thought it couldn't hurt to let you know you aren't alone! :)

Thanks vtjess! My mom had a similar birth experience with me (her first) so I kind of expected it. Still sucked though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->