• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

January Jelly Beans 2014!

Thanks Acorn, I had plenty of work to do this week (from home) which helped me pass the time, but it's getting harder and harder. I've had a couple emotional break downs. I feel like my body is failing. I'm so uncomfortable and don't feel well. At first I welcomed the nausea and diarrhea because I thought it was leading somewhere- but obviously not. Induction will be the end of next week (just before 42), so there is an end in sight, but I'm very scared of induction and feel like if it's scheduled I'll just work myself up leading up to the appt. At least if it's spontaneous I can't freak out ahead of time.
Good luck with the Buffalo wild wings. I've tried acupressure, curry, the famous eggplant parm, pineapple juice, raspberry leaf tea, nipple stimulation and the yoga ball. DH and I may give it a go tonight. Last time was a week ago. I wish I would at least "start" to dilate on my own. On Wed, I was still 0.

Ok so here goes the birth story and the first 3 days with baby, I better write it down before I forget everything!

So Wednesday (my due date!!) I woke up moaning that nothing was happening, couldn't feel anything waa waa waa. At lunch time I started getting period pains that I had been feeling for a few days and when I went to the toilet I wiped and there was some brown mucous. I felt excited but also thought it could still be days. Carried on the day as usual. I had a bath inthe afternoon when the period pains were hurting, i put sage aromatherapy oil in the bath as I had read this can bring on contractions (big tip if you are still waiting for your baby to show up!!) By 5pm when I was watching the chase I noticed the period pains were coming in waves and had worsened.mby this point I had also had bright red mucous when wiping. I didn't know what a contraction should feel like though so I thought it should feel like more than period pains (really really really bad period pains) and I thought I should feel my tummy going hard and I couldn't. Joe was at work but my mom was at home with me. I bounced on my ball, I felt so hot I had hardly any clothes on and a fan on me! My mom used a app on her phone to time the contractions!? We didn't know if they were or not, I knew it hurt but I just didnt know what to expect. Anyway they were coming every 5 minutes and lasting 40 seconds each. Wow I thought that's quite close together and regular, maybe this is really happening! Joe got home at 6.30 and by this point I was in pain, hanging on to him and sitting on the ball. Contractions were coming every 4 minutes and lasting 50 seconds. At 7pm I called the labour ward and asked them if I should come in and they said yes so we got all the bags together and called our lift to the hospital.

I live on the 6th floor of a building and I'm contracting every 3 minutes by the time we were leaving around 8pm. The bloody lifts were broken, both lifts!! So I walked down 6 flights of stairs contracting every 3 minutes!!!!! Not fun. I think I should sue the management of the building.

Got in the car and drove 20 minutes to the hospital. Contractions in the car was awful cus i was sat in the fromt seat with no one to hang on to and no ball to bounce on or fan blowing on me, i was desperate to get there! Just as we were pulling up to the hospital another car was coming towards us, you know when there isn't enough room for both cars to pass so one has to give way well this car just stopped as if to say he wasn't going to move. We had cars behind us though so we couldn't move anywhere, this car needed to reverse but he wouldn't!!! Oh my god Joe got out the car "my wife is having a fucking baby now move your car before I move it for you" the guy driving it up until this point had been sitting there so cocky refusing to move and then he just saw Joe screaming, me contracting and he he reversed straight away! What a prick!!!

We got inside the hospital and I got in a wheel chair to be taken to delivery, I could barely sit down. I was pretty sure I was in labour at this point!! :haha: but I was still dreading someone examining me and sending me back home! Contractions every 2-3 minutes lasting 50-60 seconds at this point.

When we got there it was about 8.30pm and midwife shift time change. This is when the worst hour of my life occurred. As we came in there was no one on the desk but I could see the office full of midwives having a jolly laugh and a giggle at the end of their shifts. There were 2 other pregnant women sat down in chairs who appeared to be waiting too but they weren't in labour, if they were then you couldn't tell cus they were just sitting like normal people waiting for a bus. I was manic by this point and soaked through with blood so I was scared!

This mean looking woman came out and said "who are you? Did you call before you arrived?" I said yes and explained what was happening to me and she said "well there is 6 women before you waiting to be seen so get in the queue"

Yes. That's right. Shocking treatment. Basically they were really busy and there were no triage rooms free or midwives to assess me before they can accept me on the labour ward. Even though I could see about 5 midwives just sitting around having a cup of tea!!

So I waited in a corridor. I was screaming by this point, please someone help me, I was crying, the other pregnant women were getting up and going and telling the midwives to see to me but they kept saying I had to wait!? I was in so much pain, bleeding everywhere and I could feel immense pressure between my legs, I thought it must be the waters. I don't understand why I was left there for over an hour just standing in a corridor. For all they knew I could have been about to deliver!?? I could have been 10cms, the baby could have been in distress, they knew nothing?? All I can think is they assumed I was a dramatic first time mum in labour. But even so....a corridor!!!???

Eventually I saw new midwives walking in for their shift so I grabbed on and screamed at her please help me please. She took me in the toilet to look at the blood and to listen to baby's heartbeat. Yes the toilet! Baby was ok.

Back in the corridor. I was sat right outside the two triage assessment rooms and the whole time I was there no one had been in or out of them. It made no sense. Suddenly all the new midwives on shift turned up and I was taken into be assessed. 6cms dilated! I had got to 6cms in a corridor on 2 paracetamol! I got whisked into delivery room at 9.20pm.

I was using gas and air and constantly running to the toilet cus I was sure something was coming out between my legs! I kept crossing them I couldn't stand the pressure! I was begging for pain relief, epidural! But they hadn't enough staff to give me one. I asked for pethadine but they needed 2 midwives to sign off on it so I had to wait. I had no midwife with me, let alone 2!!

It got to about 11.15pm so I had been on gas and air for 2 hours. They came to give me the pethadine and I had to lie on the bed for the injection, I couldn't lie still my body was contracting one on top of the other and I could feel my body had started to push by itself, weirdest feeling I had no control over it! The midwife said "Emmy are you contracting?" I said it was doing it by itself lol so she checked me and could see the head!! I knew I was labouring fast but no one believed me!! She said I could push at 11.20 pm so I pushed and at 11.45pm my beautiful boy came out. He had the cord around his knock so he was blue but as soon as they took it off he was on my chest crying and pinking up. He was perfect.

He weighed 7lbs 14 ozs and was born just in time, 15 minutes left of his due date. Can't believe I woke up that same morning thinking he wasn't coming out! It's so amazing what our bodies do.

I had 2nd degree tears so had stitches which were fine, I felt like superwoman by this point! I was bleeding quite a lot so they gave me an injection to help my uterus contract and put me on a drip for 4 hours. I had booked a private room so Joe could stay with me but they said they were all taken. Not only were they all taken but the entire post labour maternity ward was full with no bed for me. So I had to be moved to another delivery room which they had made into a makeshift maternity room by putting a room divider down the middle of the room and another lady and her baby were on one side and I had to go on the other! I got moved there at 3am. To make things worse there was only one bell to press to call for someone and that was on the other ladies side of the room!! I was on a drip and couldn't get up so if I needed help I was fucked! It was shocking!! The other lady wasn't English so she couldn't understand me it was a nightmare!

So I was left there till 10am the next morning when Joe was allowed back. So happy to see him! Luckily Jaxson slept the entire time and I lay watching him I couldn't sleep a wink!

I had breast fed him at delivery but I couldn't get the hang of it again by myself. No one else came to see me while I was there to help me with anything!

They discharged us at about 3pm, couldn't wait to leave! I'm so proud of myself for coping with the treatment in that hospital!!

Jaxson has been a little angel since we came home but I really really struggled breastfeeding. He wanted it constantly! A breast feeding support worker came out to help me. He was latching on properly but it was just really hurting my nipples. Plus he wanted it all the time, as soon as he fell asleep he would wake up for more! It meant I could never go to sleep! I kept trying for 2 days but by last night I decided to formula feed. No midwife has come out to see me so i havnt had anymore help or advice so I just went for it. Jaxson feeds well on the bottle he drinks and then sleeps which gives me chance to rest! Also Joe can feed him which means we can take it in turn to sleep. We still have the same problem which is that Jaxson won't be put down to sleep and refuses to go in the Moses basket. He just wants to sleep on our chests. So we take it in turns. It's working much better so I think I made the right decision.

I love him so much he is so handsome I will post some pcs they took on first day in hospital xx

Lol I love that your OH gave that guy in the car hell, Emmy! :haha:
I can't believe the way you were treated during delivery though :nope: and I wish you had more support when it came to BFing. It's so important the first time (or even second time, like me!) around to have as much support and information as possible. But I'm glad you're able to get rest and enjoy your little guy! :hugs:

Emmy I'm sorry the nurses were so awful! Glad you and LO are ok. Congratulations!

Oh my Emmy! I can't imagine being treated that way. I am so sorry! I am glad you are both ok! The fact that no one came in to help you nurse the first night probably very much contributed to you not breastfeeding. I had a horrible time nursing the first time around and I had great support. Without it I am not sure I would have kept going. It's not easy!!

Emmy you sound like you had an awful time. :hugs: at least you got your beautiful baby but maybe you should complain about the way you were treated.

I'm up with insomnia,night sweats and pain from my hips again. :cry: I'm beginning to dread nights. I'm so exhausted I just want to get at least one good nights sleep it's so frustrating.:wacko:

I'm sorry Del :( The night sweats are the worst for me. So hard to get good sleep!

Last night I slept funny and my shoulder hurt all day. Hoping that it will feel better tomorrow. Complained to DH this morning and his response was "Well if you went into labor, I bet you'd forget all about it". Ha, if only!

Just a quick note, my baby boy is born last Jan 16, just a few hours after my last message here. Labour was surprisingly quick and straightforward. When I arrived at the hospital, I was already 5 cm dilated. For some reason, my water never broke and I delivered my baby inside his sac. Had my water birth after all, after a short discussion about my g-strep management. The pain was torment but did not last long as my boy just slid down the canal in a few pushes. when I was pushing I knew that I could either hold back the urge the to push by switching positions or just let go. I chose the latter just to get it over with. Tore up quite badly as a result, but it was over in just over an hour inside the pool.

Trying to cope with the gruesome feeding schedule as my little one is a certified night owl.

Good luck to everyone,

Congratulations Lian!

I'm with you on the night owl, Harriet is so alert between 10pm and 1am!

Em xxx

Congratulations Lian

No sign here still :(

Afternoon ladies,

Before I start forgetting things, here is my birth story:

I woke up last Sunday at 39+3 and the day started like any other. Had some breakfast, tidied the house a bit as I figured it could't hurt in case LO would make an appearance within the next few days. At 1:30pm I went to the toilet and felt some water trickling, but not lots like with DS1. I decided to take a nice shower and slowly get everything ready. I also got in touch with my mum to come over to look after DS1. I felt very relaxed and in control. I had since spoken to the hospital who advised me to come in when I am ready to confirm it was indeed amniotic fluid and take it from there. Around 5pm we went to the hospital where they confirmed it was amniotic fluid, the CTG was fine: baby's heart rate fine, but only one mild contraction within half an hour. I was told that I needed to stay in as either way they class the rupture of the sac as the beginning of labour, even without contractions. They also inserted an IV catheter as after 6 hours after the rupture they give antibiotics to avoid infection.

I sneakily went back home to see DS1 again briefly and as I figured there wasn't much point just waiting in the hospital if nothing was happening. Got back to the hospital for 8pm, when I had something like 1 or 2 mild contractions. I was given my 1st dose of antibiotics and the on-call midwife went back home as I was not dilated at all, but she said she thinks we'd see each other again later that night and she'd only be a few minutes from calling her. I was hoping that things would start off on their own as I was told if nothing had happened by the morning, they would start inducing me and I should prepare myself for potentially 2 days before having the baby. :neutral:

OH and I were given a family room on the labour ward, basically a room with a double bed and TV, radio... quite cosy really. Got about an hour of sleep before waking up to needing the toilet. Went to the toilet and back into bed when I felt more fluid. It was more of a gush, which is what I had with DS1. At 11:45pm, about 20 minutes after my waters breaking completely, the contractions started... lasting about 45 seconds each, but only about 2.5 minutes apart. The midwife told me earlier that night that we needed about an hour of strong contractions that needed breathing through to open the cervix sufficiently, but from the intervals and strength of contractions I knew she had to come earlier and she arrived at the hospital at around 0:15am. When she examined me, I was already 4-5cm dilated and truthfully in quite a lot of pain. With DS1 I never got an epidural as things happened too quickly and there was no time for it anymore, so I had to go with gas and air only. I immediately told the MW that I wanted an epidural and she said it was probably wise due to the strength of my contractions. She called the anesthetist, who arrived shortly after, but when she examined me again (about 4-5 contractions after the last examination), I had dilated to 8cm. She then proceeded to tell me that she is wondering if giving an epidural would be counter-productive as I had done so well already with just gas and air and she would have to give me something to slow down the contractions for the anesthetist to be able to put the epidural in and if by the time it worked fully, I would already be fully dilated and ready to push anyway. She advised me to stick to the gas and air only and good old-fashioned midwifery. I trusted her and even though it didn't feel like it at the time I am glad I did. At 1:49am after about 5 pushes our little sunshine was born, 57cm long weighing 9lbs 4oz. Although he was bigger than expected I did not suffer any tears. We were then given lots of cuddle time before being transferred to the maternity ward where the wee man and I were able to cuddle up in my bed, which I thought was lovely as we spent the first few hours of his life just snuggled up together. It is possible to leave the hospital early here, but is not the norm as you usually stay in around 5 days, so the nurses and doctors were a bit surprised when I kept asking what the chances were for us to leave the same day. Due to the wee man's weight, his blood sugar was a bit unstable to start with, but by late afternoon we were allowed to leave. :happydance:

Although due to the extreme pain I was in, I felt a bit cheated out of an epidural again and having to do it all on just gas and air, I am glad I trusted the midwife and went with her advice. I realise that my labour was even though short very intense due to my waters breaking and I appreciate that my labour experience was very positive and I would not want to change it for anything.

Sorry about the long essay.

P.S.: I wish someone had prepared me for the afterpains after a 2nd or more birth.

Still here cheering those on that r waiting for their bundle of joy!

Yay Lian!! Congrats :) So happy that you got your water birth! My first was born inside her sac of waters too. Interested to see if that will happen again this time around.

39 weeks today!

Congratulations lian!:happydance: well done doing it on gas and air!

Still nothin to report here!

41 weeks today. I was hoping for at least a new fruit ;)

Been quite crampy today. I woke up early this morning with light contractions 10 minutes apart (not really painful). They faded though. Since then, I've just felt like my period is coming. Going to go for a walk with DH as it's actually quite warm right now.

Out of nowhere my waters broke at 5 am this morning! Currently in the hospital, only 1 cm dilated but they are keeping me in! :)

Woohoo, Boozlebub. Good luck, I hope labour progresses quickly for you and you'll hold your baby in your arms in no time. Have you got any contractions yet?

Having quite regular and strong contractions. Been almost 8 hours since waters broke and they will check me again soon. Hoping for some progress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->