• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Learning to drive and new drivers!

Oh, of course, it's the dual controls thing :dohh: Yeah, that makes sense. I wouldn't feel confident right now tbh; it's just I don't want to be in a situation where my instructor is trying to just get as much money out of me as he can, which was what happened when I first started learning. My instructor just chatted constantly, i had about 20 lessons and didn't do any maneuvers at all :huh: The best of luck for your test hun; I'm sure you'll pass no problem :thumbup: xx

Thankyou hun :D I hope I do! I think I will... I'll let you all know straight after :D
Where abouts are you learning hun? I don't know exactly where you live (obviously.. :lol:) but I can imagine driving through the city is quite a daunting task... That will be one of my first missions after I take my test :lol:

Oh, of course, it's the dual controls thing :dohh: Yeah, that makes sense. I wouldn't feel confident right now tbh; it's just I don't want to be in a situation where my instructor is trying to just get as much money out of me as he can, which was what happened when I first started learning. My instructor just chatted constantly, i had about 20 lessons and didn't do any maneuvers at all :huh: The best of luck for your test hun; I'm sure you'll pass no problem :thumbup: xx

Thankyou hun :D I hope I do! I think I will... I'll let you all know straight after :D
Where abouts are you learning hun? I don't know exactly where you live (obviously.. :lol:) but I can imagine driving through the city is quite a daunting task... That will be one of my first missions after I take my test :lol:

I live in Sheffield, in the Manor area, so my instructor takes me round the Woodhouse area, Darnall, Handsworth and onto Parkway a lot (which is pretty nail-biting for us both :haha:) We tend to just do the test route but we've never been out towards the University area. I'd like to because I think that's a dreadful part of the city to drive around, as well as the city centre. xx

Wellll my driving test is tomorrow... I can't wait, but I'm pretty nervous at the same time! I better pass :growlmad: :rofl:

MrsBandEgglet - some instructors are like that unfortunately. If you get to the point where you feel confident to go out with hubby, do it. We started off in the tesco car park to be fair. My instructor kept telling me to get more practice and I was nervous about not having the dual controls.

So DH took us to tesco on a quiet Sunday affy, and I drove around the car park a bit to get started and get used to a different car etc. Then just did a short drive home. But first established with DH what I expected from him - i.e. for the first time, I wanted him to be mentioning if I should change gear and stuff in case I forgot because I was concentrating on the new 'car'.

I only ever did short trips with DH and ones where we had a chat before we set off about what we would go through i.e. roundabouts, any areas I should be prepared for.

I am over in Barnsley area and drove around Barnsley / Chapeltown etc - heaps of roundabouts where I live so had loads of practice on those too lol.

Good luck Tegans Mama! :thumbup:

Good Luck Tegans Mama, let us know how you get on!

x

MrsBandEgglet - some instructors are like that unfortunately. If you get to the point where you feel confident to go out with hubby, do it. We started off in the tesco car park to be fair. My instructor kept telling me to get more practice and I was nervous about not having the dual controls.

So DH took us to tesco on a quiet Sunday affy, and I drove around the car park a bit to get started and get used to a different car etc. Then just did a short drive home. But first established with DH what I expected from him - i.e. for the first time, I wanted him to be mentioning if I should change gear and stuff in case I forgot because I was concentrating on the new 'car'.

I only ever did short trips with DH and ones where we had a chat before we set off about what we would go through i.e. roundabouts, any areas I should be prepared for.

I am over in Barnsley area and drove around Barnsley / Chapeltown etc - heaps of roundabouts where I live so had loads of practice on those too lol.

Good luck Tegans Mama! :thumbup:

Thanks hun, that's a good idea actually because I think having the safety net of the dual controls dictates the majority of my driving now and so having thought about it I would probably feel quite overwhelmed out with just my hubby or friends who have offered too.

Best of luck for your test tomorrow Tegans Mama :thumbup: xx

Not as good as passing ... but i had a good lesson today lol :) ... getting so fed up of learning :( just wanna be done with it all rdy!!! ARGHHGH

Not as good as passing ... but i had a good lesson today lol :) ... getting so fed up of learning :( just wanna be done with it all rdy!!! ARGHHGH

That's great - it was a rare day when I came out and said I'd had a good lesson but it made me feel so much better when I did! :thumbup:

I got pretty fed up towards the end too.....whenever my instructor would tell me or correct me on something I must have sounded like I really wasn't bothered towards the end as I definitely felt that way :dohh:

Light at the end of the tunnel hun you will do it!!

thanks i feel im making real progress then he goes and puts the breaks on for me !!! when i wasn't even going to pull out :/!!! .. or touches the steering wheel when i was going to do it anyways !!! ARGHHHHH :( xx

If it makes you uncomfortable that he corrects your steering Rhi_Rhi, ask him not to do it unless its an emergency, my instructor did it to me a few times and I told him to P!ss off once :blush: and then he stopped doing it :lol:

thanks i feel im making real progress then he goes and puts the breaks on for me !!! when i wasn't even going to pull out :/!!! .. or touches the steering wheel when i was going to do it anyways !!! ARGHHHHH :( xx

lol you sound like you have my instructor hee hee he is that exact! bloody annoying!

If it makes you uncomfortable that he corrects your steering Rhi_Rhi, ask him not to do it unless its an emergency, my instructor did it to me a few times and I told him to P!ss off once :blush: and then he stopped doing it :lol:

Agree with this - mine did the same and it just made me flap and move away from the wheel - what use is that :dohh:

I don't know if they realise how disconcerting it is either - sometimes he wouldn't realise he was still holding the clutch and I'd be like 'I can't lift it up you bloody have it down!'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->