• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Learning to drive and new drivers!

Ohhh this group is for me :D
I just my provisional in the post today and currently looking for the right instructor. I have never driven in my life lol! Had never intended to but our life would be easier with a car.

Ohhh this group is for me :D
I just my provisional in the post today and currently looking for the right instructor. I have never driven in my life lol! Had never intended to but our life would be easier with a car.

Its fantastic hun :D I've got my test on Wednesday (4 days... :shock:) and I love driving :D Once you get over how hard it is at first, its so exhilarating :D

Aww glad you had good lessons ladies!!!!

And I never fancied it either ArcaneGirl - my DH (and my dad for that matter) used to nag me to start and I could never see any point. Commuting to work on the train was easier/quicker/cheaper and I figured I'd just end up being DHs taxi if he wanted a drink :haha:

Then once I fell pregnant I realised things would be harder without me driving :dohh: I didn't enjoy it at first but once things start sinking in I just wanted to get cracking lol. Good luck!!! :flower:

If you dont mind answering, can you tell me how much it totalled cost wise for lessons and tests?

Total for me = £901 though I didn't do it the cheapest way - that breaks down to lessons = £770, theory = £31, practical £100 (£62 for test, £38 for hire of car / lesson beforehand with instructor)

My lessons were £19 per hour, or £18 per hour if you block booked 10 hours at a time. But the first 5 hours were £50 in total as an opening offer - most companies have very cheap opening offers. My lessons after would have been cheaper than the £18 had I block booked more than 10 hours but as I was getting more and more pregnant I didn't risk it lol, so if you can afford to block book more you can def get it cheaper than I did.

I had 1.5hrs lessons as an hour was a bit short for me to get from my house to the town I would be doing my test in.

I had I think 45 hours in lessons altogether by the time I took my test - the website suggests 40 hours with an instructor and 20 hours privately (ie with a friend/family member). I didn't have any time really driving with DH though so I reckon if I had I could have had fewer hours with the instructor.

Some companies will also do packages, ie my company would do 40 hours (intensive beginners course) for £600 so worth checking what offers they have.

:flower:

My total would've been £1431 (I used BSM and am also learning in an auto which is slightly more expensive) because I've had a total of 60hrs of driving lessons because I failed my first test. My learning was funded through the family fund (A charity that helps families with severely disabled children (severely being basically life threatening) who are on a low income) until I hit 40 hours so I've had to pay for the rest myself. Its well worth it though

Thanks girls :)
Ill be starting in a month or two and ill have about £100 a month towards lessons, then in Feb ill have £800ish i was thinking if i get started on the basics over winter then get seriously into it in Feb, seems ages away but i think cost wise its how itll work for us.
I dont have any family/friend car to practise in either so ill be paying £9 p/h for a dual control hire car with a friend for practise.

Sounds good hun, the only thing I would say is be careful if you start learning in winter, try and start before its likely it'll snow, because some instructors refuse to let new learners go on the roads in heavy rain and snow (I know mine did) and the first ten or so hours are scary enough when its sunny :lol: I'm sure you'll do great, sounds like you'll get plenty of practice! :D

It snows here around March usually, though last year was over xmas :lol:
Id not want to be a learner on icy roads anyways so ill prob take a break in heavy winter.

Good luck everyone!

I have my 2nd test a week today!!!

I have my test in 7 weeks time

But I am still so hesitant on roundabouts and me and my instructor are trying to get me over this

Any tips on how to pass the test abd roundabouts?
xx

ooh can i join in here :D

Im on an intensive course at min so doing 2 hour lessons everyday Mon-Fri.. it should really have only lasted 3-4 weeks but my driving instructor keeps going on holiday so im on about 6 weeks now and only done 23 hours :dohh:

Im not progressing as fast as others do apparently so think ill need and extra 10-15 hours but im getting there. Im just so nervous.. especially when i stall and people beep at me i forget how to start the car through panicking! :haha:

Test next month though hoping it doesnt take too many attempts before i pass! lol

I think with roundabouts (which type do you mean btw? :lol: ) the key is patience, if you don't feel comfortable taking the gap, don't. You get one minor for undue hesitation, but a serious (fail) if you make someone else slow down for you.

Also, If its a spiral roundabout (no lights, with multiple exits and markings on the road) count your exits as you go round if its fast moving, AND, you won't fail your test if you get into the wrong lane and leave at the wrong exit as long as you do it correctly and safely. And also, (as my instructor spent about 10 hours barking in my ear) STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE :lol: Bad lane discipline is another thing that will get you a serious, so follow the lines. If you're in the outside lane of the roundabout, aim to be at the outside, following the outside curve on your left instead of the line on your right.
We have one of each type of roundabout (spirals, ones with lights, etc etc) and our spiral one has a speed limit of SEVENTY miles an hour... its terrifying :lol:

Hiya everyone! Welcome new drivers and learners! AC!! you are joining us!! You will be fine but finding an instructor who you get along with is so so important! I done 20 lessons with a total bitch and so regret it its held me back loads! x

Good luck with tests ladies! :thumbup:

Aidans Mummy - even the day before my test I was still mucking up on roundabouts. However I booked my test for 10.24am slot so they were a lot quieter than evenings when I had my lessons but the rush hour was over :haha:...........cheating a little bit :blush: agree with everything Tegans Mama has said - I got a minor for hesitation but it's worse to go when you're not sure. We have sooooo many roundabouts where I live that I had to go through about a million on my way home every lesson.

On passing the test I would also say listening carefully is important - might sound obvious but I was a nightmare in lessons for taking a road too early or late or whatever, and on my test nearly turned left instead of right (I swear he said left :dohh:)

Anababe - so harsh that people beep at you when you stall. I must be lucky I have had really patient people behind me when I've done it (which was a LOT! :haha:).

Hey, I'm learning at the mo and I'm always soooo nervous; I was quite dreadful :haha: but I feel like I'm getting much better now. I first started learning 10 years ago! :blush: I quit and really wish I hadn't now because it's become quite essential that I'm driving soon with going back to work soon. I'm nowhere near putting in for my test; I've only had about 13 lessons and they advise you have between 40 and 45 now don't they?! :huh: OMG! Thant's gonna take bloody ages :growlmad:
I asked my instructor about getting in our car with my hubby and putting the L plates on and he wasn't exactly encouraging :shrug: Friends have told me their instructors actively encouraged them, but I reckon it's because he wants me to have all my lessons with him so i'm paying him :growlmad: Has anyone elses instructor discouraged them from practicing? Good luck to everyone taking tests soon, hopefully we'll all be getting a different kinda BFP! soon - BIG FAT PASSES!! :happydance::happydance: xx

Hey, I'm learning at the mo and I'm always soooo nervous; I was quite dreadful :haha: but I feel like I'm getting much better now. I first started learning 10 years ago! :blush: I quit and really wish I hadn't now because it's become quite essential that I'm driving soon with going back to work soon. I'm nowhere near putting in for my test; I've only had about 13 lessons and they advise you have between 40 and 45 now don't they?! :huh: OMG! Thant's gonna take bloody ages :growlmad:
I asked my instructor about getting in our car with my hubby and putting the L plates on and he wasn't exactly encouraging :shrug: Friends have told me their instructors actively encouraged them, but I reckon it's because he wants me to have all my lessons with him so i'm paying him :growlmad: Has anyone elses instructor discouraged them from practicing? Good luck to everyone taking tests soon, hopefully we'll all be getting a different kinda BFP! soon - BIG FAT PASSES!! :happydance::happydance: xx

Just bear in mind hun that if your instructor doesn't think you're ready to drive without dual controls, he will actively try to discourage you from driving without them. You could put yourself and others in danger by being in sole control of the car if you're not ready :hugs:
I'd had 60 hours of lessons since February, and only now am I actually confident enough to move the car (on our driveway, so its not illegal :winkwink: ) on my own :rofl: I have my test next week (can't wait!) but I'm NOT looking forward to the first drive on my own/the firs drive alone at night.

Just bear in mind hun that if your instructor doesn't think you're ready to drive without dual controls, he will actively try to discourage you from driving without them. You could put yourself and others in danger by being in sole control of the car if you're not ready :hugs:
I'd had 60 hours of lessons since February, and only now am I actually confident enough to move the car (on our driveway, so its not illegal :winkwink: ) on my own :rofl: I have my test next week (can't wait!) but I'm NOT looking forward to the first drive on my own/the firs drive alone at night.

Oh, of course, it's the dual controls thing :dohh: Yeah, that makes sense. I wouldn't feel confident right now tbh; it's just I don't want to be in a situation where my instructor is trying to just get as much money out of me as he can, which was what happened when I first started learning. My instructor just chatted constantly, i had about 20 lessons and didn't do any maneuvers at all :huh: The best of luck for your test hun; I'm sure you'll pass no problem :thumbup: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->