Moms of April/May/June 2010 babies thread! :)

night frufru! i am not counting on having a good night. owen has woken twice since 9pm and it's verging on 11pm now. i'd go to bed but he will wake now fo a feed. oh he's stirring! off i go!

Hello ladies, I've missed a day and feel all behind.

Marta - I'm glad the snow has gone for now. Have you done a pregnancy test yet :hugs:

insomnimama - are you feeling better? I got my AF back at 3 months too for the same reason. Alex slept through at 10 weeks but only for 2 weeks and never since :hissy: :cry:

H&F - fantastic weight loss :thumbup: but totally crappy about your car :hugs:

frufru - so sorry about your rubbish nights/early starts :hugs: well done on the weight loss though :happydance:

LC - I'm glad its just a chapped rash rather than anything worse, I dont think you're neurotic, like maybe said its better to be safe than sorry :hugs:

maybe - how did the school appt go? :flower:

sarah - glad you had a good sleep and a nice time at baby club :hugs:

muddles - great weight on just milk for Oliver, well done mummy :thumbup:

Well today was poop, one of the rear brakes on my car got stuck on and I had to take the car to a garage and miss baby massage :cry: soooo annoying!! :hissy: its going to cost £200 :(

yesterday I never got on here becasue DH had man flu and had a right hissy fit in the evening so I went to bed early](*,) . He did apologise for being a git though.

I've continued with weaning Alex, he just loves his food so much. He had salmon and avocado for lunch and kiwi fruit and banana for tea. He's got really good at picking the food up himself (rather than me passing it to his hand). I dread when food time is over though, he always has a paddy that there is no more :dohh:

oh I forgot, Alex is always wide awake at 4/5 ish too but luckily after 30mins/an hour he does drift back off. its a killer though. for all the naughty sleepers here is some sleep :dust: :)

modo - great news you've got Bobby back on track :hugs:

Evening all!

Sorry to hear you so many of you are having sleep / nap issues still :hugs:

Maybe - glad the flash cards arrived okay, I hope they are useful :)

Muddles - thankyou, we tried that car seat too :) What a great weight Oliver is! We have also started the BLW with similar results as you - Oliver also likes to hold the food in his hand, shove it in his mouth and then chew on his thumb :haha: He's quite unsure when the food actually makes it into his mouth. He absolutely loves framage frais though!

FruFru well one on the weight loss! Thats fantastic! I'm glad you got a few naps in today, fingers crossed for a good night!

Steve came home this morning and had spent some time at work researching the extended rear facing car seats. I was so pleased, and he was then as convinced about Oliver staying rear facing as I was :) So when he got up today he said he wanted to go back to the store in York for another look! We went back and tried again with the Be Safe seat, it should fit our car but there was no way it would go in. We then tried the Maxi Cosi Mobi which was great - so we ended up buying that one. Its lovely, Oliver LOVES it! I'm so pleased with it, and Steve is too which is great :):)

Well I'd better go, I'm going for a long walk with my mummy friends again tomorrow and then my parents are coming up in the afternoon :)

xx

Amy I always post at the same time as you!!!! :haha:

Sorry to hear about your car, hope you get it sorted soon :hugs:

Thats fab about Alex and his food . . . . I'm a bit scared about this whole weaning thing so I think I might be having lots of questions very soon!!!

xx

amy - glad alex is doing well with his food! dylan's teacher says he's 'perfect' :cloud9: pity he's not the same at home :dohh:

am currently watching celebrity juice on itv2 with owen lying beside me on the sofa.

sarah - :haha: we do. Re the weaning - I just make it up as I go along :shrug:, I TW the girls at 4 months so BLW is new to me (although Holly pretty much weaned herself and was eating proper meals by 6 months). I think it works really well for Alex though, he's so interested in the food and loves exploring it. I've never known such a mess though :haha: I think I am going to get one of those bibs with a catch bit.

maybe - well done Dylan :thumbup: my girls always get glowing school reports but come home and morph into little horrors :haha:

Hey guys ... hope everyone is ok, I have a very grizzly baby today!

Amy - with the weaning do you give him things you have? Amy has been having purees etc but not sure when I can start giving her the things that we have and how do you do it? just put some stuff on their tray or spoon feed? Im so worried about her choking.

why do kids do that? :shrug: he's been a right terror today :dohh: he pinched owen and hit erin in the face with a stack of pamphlets! i think both he and erin are getting more jealous of owen now he's turning into a little person.

H&F - when I TW the girls I just made coarse pulps by 5 months and then offered small meals equivalent to what we were having at around 6/7 months. I spoon fed them or let them feed themselves depending on what it was. I know the choking thing is really scary, Alex proper choked on some pineapple the other day, I had to turn him upside down and pat his back hard and it fell out on the floor. Really scary :nope: but I try not to panic too much normally. He does gag when things go too near the back of his mouth but he normally just spits them out and his eyes water. If I think he's chomped off too much I scoop it out of his mouth with my little finger.

maybe - my girls told me that although they really love Alex they feel like they've lost me a bit becasue I spend so much time with him at bedtime. Thats probably what Dylan and Erin feel like. Its so hard trying to give them all enough time and attention isnt it :hugs:

another night from hell goes as follows from 11pm:
12am - owen wakes - pacify with dummy - falls asleep quickly
1.30am - owen wakes - calgel on gums&dummy - goes to sleep after 5-10mins whinging
2.50 - dylan wakes - wants water. get up&get him water
3am - owen wakes - breasfeed
3.50- owen wakes - more calgel&cuddles - doesnt settle - rock - wont settle
4.20 - give owen nurofen
4.30 - offer breastfeed as at end of tether&need sleep. owen refuses bf!
4.35 - owen's eyes start to shut.........but for how long?.............?

my head hurts my throat hurts and a want to cry :cry: i'm scared to try&sleep as he'll only wake in a few mins i'm sure!!!

Oh maybe what a night!! Our was a bit random, although we are dummyless think Will is now feeding to sleep, so will have to start stopping him from doing that now..... I don't have the energy, had a really rubbish day yesterday, not sure I'm cut out of this x

i was trying to stop the feeding to sleep last night LC. he was sooooooooooooooo unsettled. i'm sure he's teething! but i think that every day :dohh: wish someone could just give me an answer! at least you got rid of the dummy. i still have it very much! erin still has hers. she is going to leave it for santa to take to the baby reindeers this xmas. she wants a sling for her baby born in return. if anyone knows where i can get one let me know!!! cant find one here! :nope:

Maybe: I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time. Have you tried Teetha? Its a powder that comes in sachets that I give Bobby when he is teething. They really do help. If they don't help I give calpol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleep Training

I have Bobby on a structured Routine with the acronym EASY. This basically means that he wakes up has his milk, plays and then sleeps. I will quote posts from the baby whisperer forum in the next post which gives more details.

We were having problems with his naps. According to the Baby Whisperer at Bobby's age he should be having two bug naps that are an 1 1/2 - 2 hours each and one catnap between 5-6 lasting 45mins. Bobby was doing well with this waking up after 45 mins when DH or I would shush-pat him back to sleep and he would get another 45 mins.He then started to sleep for 1 1/2-2 hours uninterrupted.

What ended up happening is DH and I inadvertently started to overuse shush-pat so Bobby needed it to fall asleep. Where it used to take me about 6 mins to get him down for a nap it was taking 20-30 and then he would wake after 30-40 mins! Even worse some naps he would not sleep at all. At night it used to take 7 mins to get him to sleep, then it became 20mins then 30mins and he started waking at night (teething meds didn't help). This was devastating as Bobby was always a great night sleeper.

So we started to use the Baby Whisperers Pick Up / Put Down method which has really been helping. When he cries we put a hand on his back but if it gets worse we pick him up but the second he stops we put him back down. Last night I did not have to pick him up at all and he feel asleep with no help from me in 7 mins!

This is all from the Baby Whisperer Forum
here is the original link:
https://www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63534.0

*All information is taken from "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems," by Tracy Hogg

E.A.S.Y. is "a routine that gives the day structure and makes family life consistent, which is important because all of us, children and adults, as well as babies and toddlers, thrive on predictabiltiy." "With E.A.S.Y., you don't follow the baby; you take charge. You observe him carefully, tune in to his cues, but you take the lead, gently encouraging him to follow what you know will make him thrive: eating, appropriate levels of activity, and a good sleep afterwards. You are the baby's guide. You set the pace." (page 16)

From page 17:
Why Go E.A.S.Y.?
EASY is a sensible way to get you and your child through the day. It is composed of repetitive cycles of each letter. The E, A, and S are interrelated-changes in one usually affect the other two. Although your baby will transform over the coming months as she grows, the order in which each letter occurs does not:

Eat: Your baby's day starts with a feed, which goes from all-liquid to liquids and solids at six months. You're less likely to overfeed or underfeed a baby who's on a routine.
Activity: Infants entertain themselves by cooing and gooing at their caretakers and staring at the wavy lines on the dining room wallpaper. But as your baby develops she will interact more with her environment and move about. A structured routine helps prevent babies from becoming overstimulated.
Sleep: Sleep helps your baby grow. Also, good naps during the day will make her go for longer stretches at night, because one needs to be relaxed in order to sleep well.
Your time: If your baby isn't on a structured routine, every day will be different and unpredictable. Not only will she be miserable, you'll barely have a moment for yourself.

"Parents who establish [the] E.A.S.Y. routine quickly get better at figuring out what their baby needs and wants at a particular time of the day. Let's say you've fed your infant (the E), and she's been up for fifteen minutes (the A-activity), and then she starts to get a bit fussy. Chances are, she's ready for sleep (the S)." (page 17) While she's napping, you should take the opportunity to do something for yourself, and then when she wakes, you'll know she's ready for her next feed. (Assuming she's taken an appropriate length of nap).

Without a routine in place, life with baby can be caotic. It would be hard to determine if your baby was crying due to hunger, or due to being tired. You wouldn't be able to predict his nap times or feed times, thus unable to make plans for yourself and your family. "Eating affects sleep and activity; activity affects eating and sleeping; sleep affects activity and eating-and all of them will naturally affect you." (page 18)

E.A.S.Y. is not a schedule. A schedule is more about focusing on the clock, whereas E.A.S.Y. is about focusing on your baby and his cues and needs. Rather than following time slots, E.A.S.Y. follows a daily pattern of events. By doing so, we guide our children and teach them by repetition. "The most important aspect of E.A.S.Y. is to read your child's signs-of hunger, of fatigue, of overstimulation-which is more important than any time slot." (page 20) Tracy uses example routines in her books that include times. This is for informational purposes to generally advise on how to use EASY. But babies vary, and each baby varies every day, and you shouldn't panic if a feed time is off by 15 minutes, or if baby doesn't nap for 2 hrs. Also, not all babies wake at 7 am to start their day; some are early risers, and some sleep later.

******************************************************************************************************************
Sample E.A.S.Y. routines (from page 34):

3-hour E.A.S.Y. (under 4 months old)
E: 7:00 wake up and feed
A: 7:30 or 7:45 (depending on how long feed takes)
S: 8:30 (1.5 hour nap)
Y: Your choice
E: 10:00
A: 10:30 or 10:45
S: 11:30 (1.5 hour nap)
E: 1:00
A: 1:30 or 1:45
S: 2:30 (1.5 hour nap)
E: 4:00 feed
S: 5:00 or 6:00 or somewhere in between: catnap (approximately 40 minutes) to get Baby through the next feed and bath
E: 7:00 (cluster feed at 7:00 and 9:00 if going through a growth spurt)
A: bath
S: 7:30 bedtime
Y: The evening is yours!
E: 10:00 or 11:00 dream feed

4-hour E.A.S.Y. (4 months and older)
E: 7:00 wake up and feed
A: 7:30
S: 9:00 (for 1.5-2 hours nap)
E: 11:00
A: 11:30
S: 1:00 (1.5-2 hours)
E: 3:00
A: 3:30
S: 5:00 or 6:00 or somewhere in between: catnap [most babies drop this between 6-8 months, but there are many variations]
E: 7:00 (cluster feed at 7:00 and 9:00, only if going through a growth spurt)
A: bath
S: 7:30 bedtime
Y: The evening is yours!
E: 11:00 dream feed (until 7 or 8 months, or whenever solid food is firmly established)

"The above are ideal days. Your baby won't necessarily conform exactly to these times. Her routine can be affected by weight-a smaller bbay might only be able to do a 3 1/2 hour routine at four months but will usually catch up by five, or, at most, six months-and tempermental differences, as some babies are better sleepers than others and some take less time to chow down. Your child might even veer from her own schedule fifteen minutes here and there." (page 34)

This is all from the Baby Whisperer Forum
here is the original link:
https://www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=69369.0

Starting E.A.S.Y. at Four Months or Older

If your baby is four months or older, and she’s never had a routine, it’s time to put her on one. The process is different from that of younger babies for three important reasons:

1. It’s a four - hour routine. Sometimes parents don’t realise they have to adjust the routine to their child’s more advanced development. Their baby is eating more efficiently and sustaining ever-increasing periods of activity but they’re still feeding her every three hours—in effect, they’re trying to turn back the clock. For example, Diane and Bob’s six-month-old Harry was suddenly starting to wake at night, seemingly hungry. Well-meaning parents that they are, they fed him at night. And knowing he needed more food during the day, instead of feeding him every four hours, they started feeding him every three hours as they had done when he was younger, reasoning, quite correctly, that he was having a growth spurt. But that’s a solution for a if three-month-old, not a six-month-old, who should be eating every four hours and sleeping through the night. (They need to feed him more at each feed, which I explain in chapter 3, pages 120—122.)

2. We use my ‘Pick-up/put-down method” (P U/PD.) to make changes. With babies over four months old, sleep difficulties are invariably part of the reason why it’s impossible to sustain a daily routine, if not the entire problem. This is when I introduce beleaguered and skeptical parents to P.U./P.D., a technique I rarely advise fir younger babies (a detailed description of this key sleep strategy is the subject of chapter 6).

3. Establishing a structured routine over four months is almost always complicated by accidental parenting. Because parents have already a tried other methods, or a medley of methods, their baby is confused. And in most cases, the baby has already gotten into a bad habit, such as falling asleep on the breast or waking repeatedly during the night. Therefore, putting an older baby on E.A.S.Y. invariably involves more commitment and work, a bit of sacrifice, and a great deal of consistency. Bear in mind that it took at least four months fir those bad habits to develop. It won’t take nearly that long to get rid of them If you stick with the plan. The older the baby, obviously, the harder it will be to change his routine, especially if he’s still waking at night and is not used to any type of structure in his day.
Because babies are individuals, and because what happens inside each of their homes is different too, I need to find out exactly what the parents having been doing so that they can tailor my strategies accordingly. If you’ve read thus far, you should already be anticipating the kind of questions I’d ask parents whose baby has never had a routine:

REGARDING THE E: How often are you feeding your baby? How long are his feeds? How many mi/ounces of formula or breast milk is he eating during the day? If he’s close to the six-month mark, have you also introduced solid food? Although it’s only a guideline, see how your baby measures up on the “E.A.S.Y. by Weight” (page 29) and “Feeding 101” (page 95) charts. If he’s eating every three hours or less, that’s inappropriate for a four-months or older child. If his feeds are too short, he might be a snacker; if too long, he may be using you as a pacifier. Also, babies who aren’t on a routine by four months often eat too little during the day and get up at night for additional feeds. Particularly if they’re over six months, they often need more sustenance than a liquid diet provides. You might want to read chapter 3 as well before introducing EASY.

REGARDING THE A: Is he more alert than ever? Is he starting to roll over? What kinds of activities does your child do during the day—play on a mat, attend a Mother and Baby group, sit in front of the TV? It’s sometimes harder to establish a schedule with a more active baby~ especially if he’s never had one. You also have to make sure that you’re not doing too much with your baby, which would make it hard for him to calm down for naps and bedtime and disrupt his eating as well.

REGARDING THE S: Is he sleeping through at least six hours in the night—which he should be by four months—or does he still wake for a feed? What time does he get up in the morning, and do you go right in to him or allow him to play independently in his cot? Does he nap well, and for how long? Do you put him in his cot for naps, or do you lust allow him to get exhausted and sleep wherever he passes out? The S questions help gauge whether you’ve been allowing your baby to learn how to self—soothe and get to sleep on his own, whether you’ve taken charge of his sleeping, or let him lead you. The lat¬ter, obviously, leads to problems.

REGARDING THE Y: Have you been under more stress than usual? Have you been ill? Depressed? Do you have support from your partner, your family, your friends? It takes stamina and dedication to establish a routine if your life has been chaotic. If you’re not up to speed, make sure that you nurture your adult needs first. It’s almost impossible to minister to a baby, if it feels like you need to be taken care of. If you don’t have support, get some. Having someone else by your side to give You a break is great, hut even a shoulder to cry on is better than nothing.

The thing to keep in mind when introducing a routine for the first time is that there are rarely overnight miracles—three days, a week, even two, but never overnight. When ushering in any new regime to a baby of any age, you’re going to get resistance. I’ve counselled enough parents to know that some of you out there really do expect magic. Yu may say you want your baby on the E.A.S.Y. routine, hut to do so; you have to take certain actions. You have to be the monitor and guide, at least until your baby gets on track. Especially if your baby hasn’t ever had a routine, you may have to forfeit something for a few weeks of your own time. Many parents resist that notion, like the mum who assured me she’d “do anything” to get her baby on E.A.S.Y., all the while firing off a barrage of questions: “Do I have to stay home every day in order to get him on a routine? Or can I go out with him and have him take naps in the car seat? If I have to stay home, will I ever get out of the house with my son? Please help me.”

Have some perspective, luv! Once your baby gets used to the E.A.S.Y. routine, you don’t have to feel like a prisoner. Fit your errands into your baby’s time. You might feed the baby and then his A time will be riding iii the car with you and doing errands. Or you might do a feed and activity at home, and let your baby sleep in the car seat or pram. (Your baby may not nap as long, though, if he’s the type who wakes up when the car engine turns off; more about routine busters on page 179.)

However, when you’re first trying to establish a routine, the idea would he for you and your partner to stay at home for a fortnight (two weeks) to give your child a chance to get used to a new routine, a week at the least. You must make the time to make the change. During this critical introductory phase, see to it that his feeds, his activities, and his sleep times happen in a familiar environment. Just two weeks, mind you, not the rest of your life. Yes, you might have to put up with a little extra crankiness, even crying, while your baby adjusts to the change. The first few days will be especially tough because you’ve already programmed this baby in a different way and now you have to undo the old patterns. But if you hang in there, EASY. Will work. Like the old saying goes, “It works if you work it.”

Think of it this way: When you first go on holiday~ you’re not in holiday mode. It takes a few (lays for you to switch gears, leaving thoughts of your job and other responsibilities behind. It’s the same for babies. Their minds are fixed on the old regime. when you try to change things, your baby is going to say (with his cries), “What the hell are you doing? We don’t do it this way! i’m screaming as loud as 1 can, but you’re not listening!”

The good news is that babies’ memories are relatively small. If you’re as consistent with the new way as you have been with the old, he’ll eventu¬ally get used to it. And after a few really tough days or weeks, you’ll find that it is better—no more erratic feeds, no waking up in the middle of the night, no frustrating days when you don’t understand what he wants.

I always suggest that parents set aside at least five days to introduce EASY. One of them should take the week off if possible. As you read through the plan, you might be surprised to see that I tell you to follow the suggested times pretty rigidly, whereas I have repeatedly told you not to go by a clock. For the purpose of this retraining period only, you have to be somewhat of a clock-watcher and far more inflexible than I would usually recommend. Once your baby is on a structured routine, it won’t matter if you veer half an hour one way or the other. But at first, try to stick to the times I advise.

The Plan
Days One and Two. Don’t intervene at this point; just observe for two solid days. Pay attention to everything. Reread the questions I ask (page 41), and try to analyse the effects of having no routine. Make note of feeding times, length of naps, bedtimes, and so on.

On the evening of Day Two, in preparation for Day Three, you must go to sleep when your baby does, and do the same thing each successive night as well. You’re going to need to be rested to withstand the next few days (or longer). Ideally, since you’re planning to stay at home for this week, you can also nap when he naps. Most things in your life can be put off for a bit. You might be in for a rough few days, but they will be worth how smashing your baby and you will feel when he’s on a routine.

Day Three: The day officially starts at 7 AM. If he’s asleep, wake him — even if he usually sleeps ‘til 9. If your child gets up at 5, do
P.U./P.D. (pages 221—224) to try to get him back to sleep. If he’s used to rising so early, and especially if you normally take him out and play with him at that hour, he’s going to protest. You might end up doing PU./P.D. for an hour or more, because he’s adamant about getting up. Do not take him into your bed, a mistake a lot of parents make when their babies wake so early.

Take him out of his cot and feed him. Follow this with an activity time. A four-month old can usually sustain 11/4_ to 1/2-hour play period; a month-old, as long as two hours; a nine-month old, two to three hours. Your child should be somewhere in that range. Some parents insist, “My baby won’t stay up that long”, and to them I say, do whatever you can to keep her up—a fan dance if necessary. Sing songs, make funny faces, keep her upright with lots of whistles and bangs.

Following the four-hour E.A.S.Y. routine on page 34, start to put your baby down for her morning nap around twenty minutes before you actually want her to sleep, say around 8:15. If you’re unbelievably fortu¬nate and have an adaptable baby, she’ll do the usual twenty minutes of settling in and then nap for an hour and a half or two. However, most babies who have never had a routine resist going down, so you will have to do P.U./P.D. to send her off to sleep. If you’re committed and you’re doing it correctly—putting her back down the second she stops fussing after twenty to forty minutes she’ll eventually go to sleep. Yes, some babies take longer; I myself have had to do it for an hour or hour and a half, using up almost all the baby’s “S” time. But remember that old saying, “It’s darkest just before the dawn.” The method takes resolve and patience and a bit of faith as well: It does work.

If you’ve had to do P.U./P.D., expect her to stay asleep for only forty minutes (remember you’ve spent almost that much time getting her down). If she wakes up earlier, go back in and do P.U./P.I). You might think this is crazy. If she’s had forty minutes’ sleep and nap time is supposed to be U/2 hours, you might have to spend forty minutes getting her back to sleep and then she has only ten minutes left. Trust me: You’re changing her routine and this is how you do it. Even if she’s slept for only ten minutes, wake her up at 11 in time for her feed, so you don’t get off track.

After you feed her, do an activity, and, again, go into her room at around 12:40, twenty minutes before it’s time for her 1 P.M. nap. This time, it might only take her twenty minutes to get to sleep. If she doesn’t sleep at least an hour and a quarter, do P.U./P.D. again. She also might sleep longer, but be sure to wake her up by 3 when it’s time for the E.

The day will be pretty exhausting for both of you. So she might be extra tired in the afternoon. After she has a feed and does an activity, watch fir signs of sleepiness. If she’s yawning, let her have a forty-minute catnap somewhere between 5 and 6. If not and she’s playing happily, put her to bed at 6 or 6:30, instead of 7. If she wakes up at 9, do P.U./P.D. again. Give her a dream feed between 10 and 11 (dream-feeding is explained in great detail on pages 93—94 and 195—196).

There’s a good chance she’ll get up at 1 or 2 AM. You do P.U./P.D. again. You could be there fir an hour and a half just to get her to sleep for three hours straight. Do it all night if you have to, until 7 A.M., at which point you’re into Day Four.

Day Four. Even if she’s sleeping at 7, and you’re utterly exhausted, wake her up.
You will go through the same process as on Day Three, but now instead of PU/PD. taking forty-five minutes or an hour, it will probably take only a half hour. She probably will sleep longer, too. We’re aiming for naps of an hour and a half each at least. But use your judgment. If she has been asleep an hour and fifteen minutes and seems happy when she wakes, get her up. On the other hand if she has slept only an hour, you had better do PJJ./P.I). again, because most babies regress quickly once they are accustomed to shorter naps. Remember to let her have that five o’clock nap if she’s tired.

Day Five. By Day Five you should have smooth sailing. Maybe you’ll have to do PIJ./P.D. a hit, but it will take far less time now. With a six— month-old, it may take seven days altogether—two for observing, five for this turnaround process. With a nine-month-old, it could take up to two weeks (that’s the worse case I’ve seen) because the baby is so deeply entrenched in his own routine that when you try to change him to yours, he’ll be much more intractable than a younger baby.

The stumbling block is that parents are afraid it’s going to last forever. After devoting four days to changing five-month-old Sam’s routine, Veronica, his mum, expressed wonder at the fact that she and her hus¬band could now have a leisurely glass of wine after dinner, unafraid that their Son would disturb their evening. “I can’t believe it took us such a short time. I say to every mum as I said to Veronica, “It worked because you were as consistent in the new way as you were in the old way.” I also warned her that sometimes, especially with little boys (whom I’ve noticed, and gender research also indicates, tend to be the more fragile sleepers), a baby will do fine for a week and then regress and start waking in the middle of the night again or taking too short naps. When this happens, many parents mistakenly think that my plan failed. But you have to he as consistent in the structure as you were with the chaos. Lf you have a regression, go back to doing PU./RI). I guarantee that because your baby has already experienced it, the technique will take less time whenever you have to reapply it.
Routine is key. I will keep reminding you of the importance of E.A.S.Y. throughout this hook. I give it so much time and attention, because a lack of structure and consistency is often at the heart of the most common child—rearing challenges. That is not to say that eating, sleeping and behavior problems (which I discuss in greater detail in chapters 3 through 8 ) wont crop up even if you’re on a good routine. Still, it’s a lot easier to come up with solutions if you already have structure in your day.

All taken from “The Baby Whisperer – Solves all your Problems - p39”

I would HIGHLY recommend this book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Tips-B...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288341689&sr=8-1

HTH!

I forgot to include this bit on how to actually do Pick Up / Put Down.

Here is the link to the original page:

https://www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=69177.0

**Before beginning pu/pd with your baby, it is essential that you read all of Chapter 6, "Pick Up/Put Down," of The BabyWhisper Solves All Your Problems by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau. The information below merely hits the highlights of the pick up/put down method and should not replace reading the entire "Pick Up/Put Down" chapter.**

Now we’ll look at the basics of pu/pd and how it should be adapted according to the age of your baby. These are general guidelines and you should remember to listen to and follow your own child.

“When a child cries, you go into his room. You first try to comfort him with words and a gentle hand on his back. Up to 6 months, you can also do shush-pat; in older babies, the shush pat-especially the sound can actually disrupt sleep, so we just lay a hand on the child’s back instead to make our presence felt. If he doesn’t stop crying, then pick him up. But put him down the minute he stops crying and not a second later. Make sure you put him down completely, even if he cries as you lower him, when he is down if he continues to cry then pick him up again and repeat. You are comforting him, not trying to put him back to sleep. –that’s for him to do on his own. If he cries and arches his back (is really fighting you), though you put him down immediately. Never fight a crying child. But maintain contact by placing a firm hand on his back so that he knows you are there. Stay with him. Intervene with words as well “It’s just sleep time, darling. You’re only going to sleep”. (Taken from Baby Whisperer Solves all you Problems page 222) The tricky part is knowing when to lay him back down. If he is held too long or not long enough then it is harder for PU/PD to work. If you get to a point where you can't take it anymore and your LO just won't stop crying, then by all means leave the room for a few minutes and regain your bearings. While CIO and CC are discouraged, you won't do yourself or your LO any good if you're an emotional mess. Just step out and calm yourself then try again.

To sum it up the basic procedure when you child cries is;

· Place your hand on their back or chest and say your key phrase in a low tone, eg. ‘it’s only sleep’ or ‘it’s sleepy time’. You always try in the crib first as this is the ultimate goal.
· If this doesn’t work you pick them up, say the phrase and as soon as they calm you put them down. If they start to cry on the way down, you still put them down.
· If they are still crying you pick them up again.
· If the child is truly fighting you, arching etc you don’t hold at all, you put them right down after you say the phrase and then pick them up again.
· You do this over and over until you see signs your baby is settling. Typically their cries will become weaker; they may look for their hands etc. They may also begin to mantra cry, you do not pick up on a mantra cry as they are attempting to settle themselves.
· When you see this settling behaviour you don’t pick them up anymore. Leave them in the crib, place your hand on them and say your phrase. Now you let go, stand back and see what happens.
· If they start up again, you start the whole process over beginning with attempting to soothe in the crib.

It is very important to adjust the basic procedure according to your baby’s age, as follows;

4 MONTHS OLD - you would follow the procedure above with the following adaptations;

· If they are swaddled and it become loose, you need to re swaddle.
· You only hold them a maximum of 5 minutes. If they don’t settle in 5 minutes you put them down and pick up again if they are still upset.
· In between each pu/pd you attempt to soothe with shush/pat in the crib.
· If the shush-pat doesn’t work you pick them up again, continuing to shush/pat in your arms if you wish.
· So, put them down the second they stop crying, start to settle or a maximum of 5 minutes.

4-6 MONTHS OLD - The process changes slightly when your baby is starting to get more mobile and has more strength. They will typically start to fight you when being held and they may throw their head back and/or arch their back, so the following adaptations are made;

· If the baby is burrowing their head into the mattress, turning their head side to side, getting up on their knees or flopping side to side you don’t pick them up right away or you will get kicked or your hair pulled. Instead you continue to talk and soothe in a low tone voice.
· When you do pick your baby up you only hold for a maximum of two or three minutes then put them all the way down even if still crying. You then pick up again and follow the same routine.
· At 4-6 months a baby tends to put up quite a physical struggle and the biggest mistake made is holding too long. Watch your baby’s cues, burrowing into your shoulder or arching their back is a sign they want to go back down EVEN if they are still crying. Holding them too long will reinforce “I cry I get picked up”. You can label what you are doing eg. “Let me pick you up”. “Let me put you down”.

6-8 MONTHS OLD - Pu/pd becomes more of a partnership at this age and it is key that you follow your baby’s pace and make the following adaptations to the basic procedure;

· You don’t pick them up as a matter of course but you offer them pick up. You hold your hands to your baby and say “let me pick you up” and you pick them up when they reach to you.
· You pick them up in a cradle position and say “It’s okay, we’re just going to sleep.”. Don’t rock or sway and don’t make eye contact.
· Put them down immediately after you say your key phrase.
· Once your baby starts to soothe you continue to soothe with words and a hand for presence if this helps your baby. Some babies may find this too disruptive so you take your baby’s lead.

8 MONTHS TO A YEAR - At this age you really don’t do any pick up as babies 8 months and up tend to soothe faster in the crib.

· You wait for them to stand up or pull up and then you place them back down so they are looking away from you and not at your face.
· If you feel they are truly frantic and need more you can pick them up for a moment but you put them straight back down.
· At this age it’s important to use your voice even more. Your baby will start to recognize what you are saying, eg. “I’m not leaving you, you’re not alone, it’s nap time” etc.
· At this age you may need to pair pu/pd with gradual leaving of the room. First you stay in the room until asleep, then move a few feet from the crib, in a few days you move to the door, then out the door.

5) What can I expect from the pu/pd process?

You can expect crying and resistance, especially if you’ve previously employed a prop for sleep. “Pu/pd doesn’t prevent crying but it does prevent fear of abandonment, because you stay with the child and comfort him through his tears”. Through your actions you’re saying to your child “its ok, I love you, you can do this, you are ok, it’s ok to be upset, you can do it”, and you should actually say this when soothing your baby during pu/pd as it will also help you to stay calm and to keep perspective.

Your baby will generally go through a series of “peaks” and come down over and over. Eventually they will lose steam and settle. This can take minutes or hours and it’s been known for some babies to take 3 hours to settle with their first pu/pd session, though this is the extreme. The number of pick ups generally gets less every time until you’re down to none and it may help to actually count them so you can chart your progress. In most cases the parents see an improvement over the course of a few days but then the baby regresses around day 5 or so. Typically the baby fights sleep even worse than they did before but if you stick with pu/pd your baby will pop right back. Consistency is the key.

Eventually, after all your hard work, your kind words and touch will put your baby to sleep. This method DOES work if you do it correctly, stick to it and ride it out. Unfortunately there is no quick fix, and this is a lot of work, but it is well worth it in the end. You may want to invest in earplugs to help deafen the cries. You also should consider having support and start pu/pd on a weekend so your husband or a friend can be around to keep you calm. Expect to feel upset and frustrated. Expect to want to give in and go back to your “old” way, your prop… DON’T DO IT.

Well we've had a successful day, 3 naps and hardly any intervention from me. One nap of an hour and a half!! and I heard him stir after 40 minutes but must have managed to go back off - phew.

When I have ssssh'd it's been almost instant - this will all go wrong now I have committed it to text. Especially as Will seems to now have a cold....

Evening all!

I hope you guys have some success with your routines etc soon :hugs:

We don't have a strict routine - I always wanted to be very baby led and thats worked out really well for us, though I don't think it woul suit every mum / baby / family. We have a rough routine - ie get up, changed, feed, play, sleep etc. Oliver usually naps in the morning for an hour or so, and in the afternoon the same. But he pretty much sleeps when he's tired, eats when he's hungry etc. I'm quite chilled out about it - like he likes to nap on me and tbh, I'm fine with that. He won't do it forever, so while he wants to, thats fine. He also likes to feed to sleep - he doesn't always do it, but he does say half the time, and again, I'm fine about that. He's still so young, I'm sure he'll decide at some point that he doesn't want to nap on mums knee and feed to sleep, if not then I'll deal with it if it becomes an issue. I might be making a rod for my own back but for now, we're both happy taking a very relaxed approach.

We had a fun day again - we met our mummy and baby friends for a walk and coffee this morning which was lovely. Then my parents came up for the afternoon which was also really nice!

What plans does everyone have for the weekend? We don't really have any, Steve is working so Oliver and I will just be chilling out in the mornings. I hate going anywhere at the weekend - everywhere is so busy!!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->