November 29th Due Date - I need a buddy!

DARN! I typed a response and now its all GONE!!!!!

Anyways, I thought a sweep was just an internal exam but it sounds like it is more? Is it the same as stripping the membranes, Allie? What do they exactly do?

I have my appt today in another 1.5 hrs!

Yes, it's stripping the membranes. I guess sweep is the British term for it. They separate the amniotic sac from the cervix to release prostaglandins....you have to be at least 1 cm dialated so they can fit a finger in there.

They usually only do it from 38 weeks but she did it a few days early since I'm being induced anyways.

Good luck at your appt!

Interesting! Apparently I have read on some US forums that some drs. don't even tell patients they are doing it and they end up going into labor after that! I think that would be kind of scary! I would be mad at the dr.

Yowzaz!! :shock: I'm going to have to ask my dr. if they will do that. She hasn't mentioned anything about it. Or maybe ignorance is bliss. :haha:

Oh, by the way, I started drinking red raspberry leaf tea today. I think I have read some people say that it is gross, but it tasted fine to me, just like normal tea. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps labor short. xx

So, I had my appt. Dr. checked cervix and her first comment was "oh, this baby is low, really really low". She said I am about a finger tip (1 cm) dilated, and the cervix was really soft and the baby was really really low (she used two reallys). She said "you will not go past your due date". I asked her if that means I could have her like soon, in a week and she said not really. She said that she expects to see me next week but then may be not the week after?! It makes it all so real, you guys!!! I am almost there..I guess according to the dr. And she said I am 50% effaced.

Thanks Bumphope! I am so NERVOUS all of a sudden! I still haven't packed my bag completely, there is still stuff to do at work! I keep making a mental list, keep stressing myself out!!

That's great desi! Sounds kind of similar to me at 1.5 cm and 50% effaced. Although I'm hoping in my case my body speeds things along much faster than your OB predicts you will go!! (So my induction is easier or I go into labor on my own before then) Did you ask about a membrane strip?

I've been drinking raspberry leaf tea for about a week now as well. Actually mine is 'Mother to Be Tea' but the main ingredient is raspberry leaf. I actually like it as well.

I've also started putting 2000 mg of evening primrose oil near my cervix nightly to help soften it hopefully, and DH and I have been having sex after a VERY long dry spell haha.

It's quite a coincidence but one of my good friends also had high BP and just delivered her baby last week where I'll be delivering...and she had a 48 hour labor. :shock: She also had to be induced....so I'm hoping these little things I do will help so I don't end up like her.

Allie,
I didn't ask her about the membrane strip. I completely forgot. I am just assuming she won't do it without telling me. I'd just like her to come whenever she is ready without any intervention since she seems to be doing fine in there. My dr. did say that I wasn't ready for an induction now but I may be next week if I really wanted her to deliver the baby (she is gone from Nov 19-27). DH and I decided we'd just take a chance with the on call dr. delivering her than do the induction.

Did your DR. say how soft your cervix was? Mine said usually when it is hard it is like feeling your knuckle and she said mine was like the inside of my palm! She said very soft!

Where did you guys get the redraspberry leaf tea? Do you get it at regular grocery stores?

Also, my friend who was two weeks overdue on Tuesday got induced Sunday night. Well, they did the cervical ripening stuff Sunday night and started on Pitocin Monday a.m. She had her baby that evening at 6:20. So I guess she was not in labor as long your other friend was. I think it depends on person to person. I will definitely be thinking of you this Sat.

Desi - I am not sure if you can find the red raspberry leaf tea at the grocery store. This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Red-Raspberr...HHGS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1320884201&sr=8-8

Another question - Did you ladies purchase a breast pump if you are planning on breastfeeding? Since I will be going back to work pretty soon, I am going to invest in a good one but and I am currently debating between a Medela Pump in Style vs. Medela Free Style. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of those?

Desi - When I was considering buying a pump, I was going to go with the Medela Pump in Style and I don't remember reading about the Freestyle. But that was all short lived since one of my cousins gave me her hospital grade pump (Medela Lactina) so all I had to do was to buy the individual pump kit for it.

You lucky duck! That is awesome to be able to get a Lactina :)! I heard they are really good! Freestyle they say is for handsfree stuff but people are not saying it does what it says it does good. I am mostly intersted in it because it is so small, it would fit in a diaper bag etc. But it is also a lot more expensive than PIS.

I've got the Medela single electric pump with Swing action. It is brilliant! I'm expressing twice a day....i'm managing to get about 3 1/2 ounces (120mls) each time. I am still having to top up at least once a day with 30 - 40 mls of formula. The only thing is she is getting very used to the bottle and a little frustrated at the breast because it doesn't flow as fast as the bottles do :wacko: But i am trying to maintain some sort of action on the breast because it is bonding us closer and closer together and it means i don't HAVE to take a bottle out everytime we go out.

How are you all doing??? It's getting closer and closer! I can't wait to meet the new arrivals!

I have heard about the Swing too. With my work schedule, I really need a double pump! I think I am leaning more toward the freestyle...

I bought a Medela hand pump....one of the more basic ones. But as I work from home I will be rarely pumping. If I find it too difficult I will for sure be getting an electric pump though.

Sparle, look at that avatar!! Awwww. So beautiful.

Hi all
My friends lent me the Medela Swing. funny we're all on Medela! Although I'm a bit confused with pumping. When do I do it? And when do I give her bottled and when breast? What r u doing Sparkle? I've read there are different teats & flow rates & u should get one similar to your nipples but how do you know which?!

I'm ok.. Had a panic on Wednesday as was getting these sharp stabbing pains into my uterus that really hurt. They were really painful but only lasting a few seconds at a time but coming every minute or so. By the end if the night I couldn't walk! Called the midwife who said could be early labour & to take a bath & some painkillers. did that & tried to sleep & pain eased so was obviously nothing. Was such a reality check though! And made me & hubby realize how we need to be more organized! I was soooo tired that night & really didn't want to go into labour- needed sleep. So made me realise how important to nap in the afternoons so when it does happen I'm not as tired!
I did some research into the stabbing pains & think its caused by babies head hitting against my cervix!!

I've finished work now. Have u girls? Feels very surreal to have left!

S x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->