Picky eaters and underweight toddlers: support and ideas thread

Krissie, that's interesting that your son always took small amounts even as a baby. Did doctors/health visitors ever comment on it? I'm impressed that he eats Mexican-inspired dishes. Mine is a total wuss when it comes to anything remotely spicy (takes after me lol). On a funnier note, mine also eats cocnut oil out of a jar when the mood takes her (but rejects it on bread or toast).

No, I brought it up multiple times and was always told he will eat what he needs.

It does surprise me how much he likes spicy. I made a dish Monday that had medium salsa and a bit of a bite and he ate his entire bowl and had some more for lunch yesterday. He is a crazy kid!!

I'd love to join if I can. My son is fortunately not underweight but he is very picky. Breakfast is only cinnamon oatmeal or waffles. The only meat he will eat is breaded chicken and one type of fish in an Asian sauce.

He will not eat a single vegetable. No squash. He will not eat soup. No beans. No smoothies.

He eats some fruits (apples and blueberries mainly. Occasionally strawberries).

That is pretty much it other than junk foods

Sebastian adores the chocolate flavoured pediasure and I tried it and it does taste yummy. I am trying to give him that every so often in the afternoons when he is not at nursery. It seems to up his appetite too but probably wouldn't if he had it just before a meal. But so far so good :)

Thomas isn't underweight and he isn't a toddler obviously, but he's getting super fussy and worse every year. He's lost weight this year.

He only likes rice bubbles, raspberry jam sandwiches, chocolate coated muesli bars and broccoli. He won't eat meat, eggs, cheese etc etc. sometimes he'll eat French toast but I have to sprinkle sugar on it.

School sre nagging me that his lunch is crappy and he tries to steal other kids 'treat' foods!

I'm curious if any of you did baby-led weaning with your children? My OH's biggest pet peeve in life is people who are picky eaters, so one of the big reasons we chose to do BLW with our daughter is because of the chance it may avoid her growing up to be a picky eater. She is just under 9 months old so way too young to know if it will actually work or not. Did any of you do BLW and still end up with a picky eater?

I traditional weaned my son and did BLW with my daughter, she's way less fussy than he is. She eats anything apart from the odd junk food that's too sugary. However Thomas used to eat anything and everything also till he was about 3.

Yes we did baby led weaning. My son used to eat squid, lamb, various fruit & veg but since the SPD he won't touch any of it.

I did a combination of BLW and traditional and DS has always been super picky. Even when he was first eating solids he refused most things.

I was quite proud of him yesterday, he tried salsa and raisins yesterday. He didn't care for the salsa but he loved the raisins.

Anne that is so sweet of you to write down so many great ideas! I would try them all if it were not for Dominic. Smoothies taste lovely but they are empty calories in as much as you need a lot of fruit/vegetables to make one small smoothie but they do not fill you up for long. If you ate the whole fruit or the whole vegetables instead of blending them up, you would feel full with a fraction of what is needed for one smoothie. This is inadvisable for Dominic. Having said that, we did once give Sebastian one of those Innocent smoothies that is made from pineapple, apples and carrots and he had one sip and refused the rest.
But were it not for Dominic being overweight, I know I could come up with all sorts of treats and things that Sebastian might eat. But, and maybe I am wrong, I think being too skinny may well be less damaging to life in the long run as having a child who is overweight and has been obese not too long ago.
It is hard though and I do worry about them all the time :(

If you ever try smoothies again.. could you make Dominic one with a water base and lighter calorie choices and Sebastian one with cream or something?

Or put them in cups they can't see into so they don't realize they don't have same thing or different amounts?

Is there any way you can separate them (dad takes one for a meal while you have the other) once in a while so Sebastian can eat fuller fat things while Dominic gets a healthier option and they are none the wiser? Obviously that wouldn't work every meal but even one or two meals a week might help

Thank you for your ideas :) We are doing that with the PediaSure now and Dominic gets some milk with a non-heaped spoon of Nesquik. But yeah something else along those lines is definitely a good idea!

Dominic and Sebastian both have always looked so perfect and healthy to me, it always bewilders me how one is meant to be overweight and the other under! Sophie is still technically obese also but no one believes me and my family always tell me I'm being stupid.

Hi SpringCrane, welcome! Mine was exclusively breastfed until a bit after 6 months. Constantly on the breast as had reflux and was sick, then wanted to suck to stop the burning, sick again, suck again, you get the picture. Was never a chubby baby though, always followed a percentile curve for weight that was a bit lower than the one for height, but looked in proportion.

Has your son been investigated for things like malabsorption?

Krissie: it sounds like he's always had a really tiny stomach, if that's actually possible. Is he happy to have lots of tiny meals? Does it work if you leave snacks out for him to help himself to all day or do you have to remind and encourage him to snack?

Hello sil, welcome! Have you tried treating vegetables as if they were chicken and breading them? Aubergines, mushrooms and cougettes can be done in the same way (sprinkle lightly with salt, let bead, pat with kitchen towel, dip in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry. I remember my mother had great success with that (my brother wouldn't have eaten cougettes or aubergines under penalty of death until she did them this way). I know she did some other veg the same way at first to get him to accept them, but I can't remember what. I wonder if they'd work oven-baked, to make the whole thing a bit healthier. I haven't tried! Also, mother only did that for special occasions as a treat, as it is quite labour intensive.
With fruit, do you have a chance to pick your own? Mine for example doesn't like shop-bought black currants or blackberries, but eats them happily when we pick our own (I think shop-bought ones that we get are more tart).

I've been wondering for a while how much the love of junk foods has to do with their salt (or perhaps sugar) content. For me, salt is the only thing that makes junk food delicious (and if you give me something I absolutely dislike, I cam usually make it palatable by adding enough salt).

Angel: that's interesting that PediaSure ups Sebastian's appetite! I wonder what's in it that does that.

Hi Minties, that's tough, it must be quite difficult to make Thomas's lunch box every day! What do other children get as treats - biscuits? Crisps? (School here doesn't allow treats, so I'm a bit lost.) How does Thomas feel about dips? Would he try a veg stick with a dip that he likes, like tomato ketchup, bbq sauce or something?

Hi jessmk, yes I did BLW with mine - as I said at the beginning, I don't think she's out-of-the-ordinary picky, but some things just get rejected unless I hide them, such as avocado. I think it's the texture. And I have always noticed a mistrust of anything green. Things like cauliflower take a lot of work (offering over and over again), and sometimes it helps if they are in a cheese sauce or with a condiment to dip to hide the original flavour a bit. I really enjoyed BLW because it was a lot less effort prep-wise (no blending). My cousin did traditional weaning with both of hers and one is a fantastic eater (will literally eat anything and everything) and the other one is very, very picky. I think it depends on each individual child, to be honest.

Hi HappyAnjel!

Krissie: it sounds like he's always had a really tiny stomach, if that's actually possible. Is he happy to have lots of tiny meals? Does it work if you leave snacks out for him to help himself to all day or do you have to remind and encourage him to snack?

It is funny you bring up a mistrust of green. That is absolutely Christian. Maybe it comes from that one time I fed him a spinach leaf. Ever since then he almost always refuses. :haha:

There could be something to him having a small stomach. Whenever he eats a large amount of food for him he usually ends up throwing up. He does do better with many small meals. He is kinda like a hobbit. He gets a snack before breakfast (he wakes up super early but doesn't like to eat right away but I still offer), breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and sometimes a snack depending on how late dinner is. He does okay if I leave things out but usually needs reminded to eat them. For the most part he eats a bit here and there through the day. He also gets some milk right before nap and bed and most nights a night feed. (Eh, still trying to break that one!!)

Thank you for your ideas :) We are doing that with the PediaSure now and Dominic gets some milk with a non-heaped spoon of Nesquik. But yeah something else along those lines is definitely a good idea!

I'm not sure that I really get why Dominic always has to have something if Sebastian is having something to eat? I know they are twins and you don't want to treat them differently, but they do have different needs in this sense. If they were siblings of different age I am sure you would be okay with giving them different things or at different times? My 3 year old understands that his 1 year old brother sometimes eats different things because his needs are different. Have you tried explaining to both boys that they have different needs and that is why Sebastian is having a shake at this time? They are surely old enough to understand this and that just because they are twins things aren't always going to be the same for both of them.

Sorry if I'm just not getting it (not a twin mum after all), it's just something that has occurred to me!

I do not want to tell Dominic that he is overweight and that is why he cannot have a treat. And any extra food to Dominic is a treat. He asks for food a lot and I have to keep telling him that it is not yet snack-time or lunch or dinner.
And then also, I grew up with a picky eater in my brother. He was given treats all the time cause he was so skinny. He was allowed brioche and pain au chocolat while I sat there with a fruity herbal tea looking on. I then started secretly raiding the cupboard. I knew he was a picky eater and he needed more food but that did not make me feel any better about it. I want to avoid this for Dominic.

It is funny you bring up a mistrust of green. That is absolutely Christian. Maybe it comes from that one time I fed him a spinach leaf. Ever since then he almost always refuses. :haha:

There could be something to him having a small stomach. Whenever he eats a large amount of food for him he usually ends up throwing up. He does do better with many small meals. He is kinda like a hobbit. He gets a snack before breakfast (he wakes up super early but doesn't like to eat right away but I still offer), breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and sometimes a snack depending on how late dinner is. He does okay if I leave things out but usually needs reminded to eat them. For the most part he eats a bit here and there through the day. He also gets some milk right before nap and bed and most nights a night feed. (Eh, still trying to break that one!!)

There must be some sort of colour code that I don't understand, where green screams something like "poison" and orange sings "come eat me". A bit like wasps use their colours as a warning.
I still BF before bed and at night if needed. I've made my peace with that and decided to not feel bad about it. The nutricionist said milk is perfectly fine if not in excessive quantities (mine drinks minimal amounts of cows milk - says she loves it, then has a few sips and that's it).

Been thinking about weaning - my OH was weaned with jars and brought up with a lot of convenience food (sauces out of packets or jars, microwave stuff) and he is, I dare say, pickier than our toddler.

Makes sense Angel. I hope you can continue with your current plans.

Anne- yea Christian loves all things orange. Must be something to it since it's so common. I don't mind ds takes a night feed it's more I hate waking up. He's over 2 now. I'm just thankful it's only once a night. At one point we were up 4+ times a night. Ds is currently at 16-24 oz a day of milk. His doctor seemed fine with that for his age and I don't feel it's excessive.

Hi!

My daughter Saskia is 17 months. She's always been a healthy weight and enjoyed her food. 3 months ago she got a UTI and ended up in hospital. 2 weeks later, it came back with a vengeance and she ended up in hospital again. She was quite unwell and needed an NG tube to feed. She got better but she lost a lot of weight. A month ago, she became unwell again and spent another night in hospital. And now she doesn't eat very well at all. She lives on bananas, weetabix, milkshake, squash, and sweet snacks. She'll occasionally spend a few hours gnawing on an apple. She won't eat any vegetables. All meat, fish, soup, 'kid food', she just doesn't enjoy anymore. I've tried hiding vegetables. We all eat the same meal most nights so she sees us enjoying food. OH doesn't see a problem and the HV has been useless. Saskia wants to breastfeed quite a lot throughout the day too, it's exhausting.

I'm so atuck with what to do!

Hi Rhio. Poor Saskia, three hospital stays - you must have been so worried! Have they referred her to a nutricionist at all because of the weightloss? My daughter, although older, also lost a lot of weight due to illnesscand got referred while in hospital. After the illness, eating was a disaster. She didn't want to eat, and when she did, it was only tiny amounts. I spent weeks and weeks cooking the only thing she wanted to eat - pasta - just to get her to eat something. I did other things with it, but I madensure there was pasta for her. I know some people would say that's pandering to a child's whim, but I felt it was important to get her to eat, to give her something she would enjoy, and to coax her appetite. If she asked for cheese, I'd let her eat as much as she wanted, even if no one else at the table had cheese. It took a (long) while, but we're now back to normal where I no longer make pasta two or three times a day.
I wonder if it was a matter of waiting it out until she got a bit more strength, was off antibiotics and things tasted good again.

You said she will accept milkshake; I make them with cream instead of milk, and stick in an avocado and overripe bananas (plus any fruit that she likes) to boost calories and nutrition. (I use honey instead of sugar if it needs sweetening.) I have also put in cocoa powder or chocolate curls on the top if I had to. Do you think you could try something like that?

The nutricionist we saw said that BFing was good. I know it's tiring though. but I also think you should give yourself some credit for sticking with it and not giving up.

How long does your child take to eat a meal? Mine takes forever, we're literally talking hours, and insists that she hasn't finished. Drives me up the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->