sure start maternity grant UPDATE

£23k the tc cut off will be in 2012. £23k!!! Our nursery is going to cost £13k. How do these millionaire idiots add up?!

Sorry. But I am really bloody pissed off now.

Are you serious? 13k for a nursery or am I reading this wrong?

no you are reading it right putting a child in nursery is roughly a normal persons weekly wage this is the reason i give up work in aug there was no way i could afford that and live.

Im a little confused... so because I dont have any other children but Im due on the 13th april I still can get the sure start maternity grant?

xx

yeap if its your first you are still entitled no matter what your due date is.x

Im a little confused... so because I dont have any other children but Im due on the 13th april I still can get the sure start maternity grant?

xx

Yes you will get it, they have changed it so its only for 1st time parents.

no you are reading it right putting a child in nursery is roughly a normal persons weekly wage this is the reason i give up work in aug there was no way i could afford that and live.

:nope: That's crazy! Never had to put my son in nursery when he was younger, never expected it to cost that much!

Thanks Laura And shelly....i got in a big panic then as im relying on that money for certain things I cant afford..as im only on 30 pounds a week but thats got to go to other things as well xx

*UPDATE*
Got my refusal letter today. I phoned an acted ignorant and asked why it had been refused when I was told it wasn't changing til April, the guy wasn't aware of the changes only of rumours. I had a bit of a rant about it being out of order changing the rules at such short notice and he agreed with me as much as he could with him being an employee... He told me to write an appeal letter on the grounds I had sent my forms 5 days before the changes. Probably futile but worth a shot.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

that means i wont get it either. what a pile of big fat steaming fecking poo.

i planned to decorate the nursery with that money :nope:

i hate this edd, its such a wishy washy goal post

only 5% of babies arrive on their due dates anyway. 51% over that means that over half the girls that have this government cut off point are actually not entitled but will have had their money iygwim.
yes the girls who are close to this cut off point go early will get it but the money is to buy things 'before' the baby gets here.
how utterly riciculous.
they should make the changes before people think they could be entitled like the hip grant. they've given me 2 days notice before my form could be officially processed. thats just wrong :grr:

Yes this year we have paid £6k for three days a week. Next time Byron will have 15 hours a week free (assuming that doesn't get scrapped next budget) but both children will need to be in 4 days a week. We also get a 10% discount on siblings. Taking all this into account our nursery bill will be approx £12,600. DH earns only a very little more than that net so it's unlikely to be worthwhile for us. Bit then my income isn't sufficient for us to live on and this would also mean we can't afford another maternity leave. Plus my son has hugely benefited from bring in nursery so my daughter will miss out. Sigh.

I have not read this whole thread as it is a bit long now.

Why should the government pay for you to have babies. If you choose to have a baby, you should work and save to provide for them as it will only be harder once LO has arrived. I don't feel there should be a financial incentive to have children in the first place. If you cant afford it, keep your knees together

Why should the government pay for you to have babies. If you choose to have a baby, you should work and save to provide for them as it will only be harder once LO has arrived. I don't feel there should be a financial incentive to have children in the first place. If you cant afford it, keep your knees together

Wow what a nice thing to say.
It's not as black and white as that. My husband works full time while I stay at home and look after our son who has learning difficulties. We did qualify and weren't going to apply but our roof leaked and detroyed our ceilings causing damp and mould, we had to spend all of the money we saved repairing it before the baby came, we now don't qualify for the sure start and are a bit tight on money. You can't always plan for unexpected things. I don't see the harm in asking for help if you need it.

It's not as black and white as that. My husband works full time while I stay at home and look after our son who has learning difficulties. We did qualify and weren't going to apply but our roof leaked and detroyed our ceilings causing damp and mould, we had to spend all of the money we saved repairing it before the baby came, we now don't qualify for the sure start and are a bit tight on money. You can't always plan for unexpected things. I don't see the harm in asking for help if you need it.

This is my opinion, but what if your roof had leaked whilst you was not pregnant, what would you have done then?

9 times out of 10 the money is not even used for baby things either. Sorry to hear about your situation but I will not apologise for my opinion

And is that not what house insurance is for?

OMG how rude are you?! :shock:
For your information my DF works and has a good job in a college I, myself am disabled so therefore am unable to work, we get the grant on the grounds I have a disability element in our working tax credits. The reason I am so angry we won't be getting the grant is because we were told we were eligible all a long and at the last minute they say we can't have it therefore not allowing us to plan accordingly.
In future, if it means that much to you, ask the circumstance why we get the grant before coming to your own narrow minded, down right sterotypical conclusions! :growlmad:

If you want to trade your job for my multiple sclerosis feel free!!

This is my opinion, but what if your roof had leaked whilst you was not pregnant, what would you have done then?

9 times out of 10 the money is not even used for baby things either. Sorry to hear about your situation but I will not apologise for my opinion

You can't possibly know that unless you ask everyone what they spend it on.
If my roof had leaked while I wasn't pregnant I would have used to same savings to fix it, would have been better if it had leaked last year because it would have given us time to save up again.

Like I said in a previous post some people think only rich people should have children.

Here's why the country (not the government, they're not the owners of state money) should support families - they are the tax payers and arse wipers of the future. Good luck being taken care of when you're old as our generation is going to far outstrip youngsters by the time we're old. There'll not be enough money in the pot to take care of us and there won't be enough people doing the jobs caring for the elderly. There is a bigger picture to welfare.

OMG how rude are you?! :shock:
For your information my DF works and has a good job in a college I, myself am disabled so therefore am unable to work, we get the grant on the grounds I have a disability element in our working tax credits. The reason I am so angry we won't be getting the grant is because we were told we were eligible all a long and at the last minute they say we can't have it therefore not allowing us to plan accordingly.
In future, if it means that much to you, ask the circumstance why we get the grant before coming to your own narrow minded, down right sterotypical conclusions! :grrr:

If you want to trade your job for my multiple sclerosis feel free!!

You did not state all the information in OP so I was going from what was on there. Again I am sorry you have MS but it is my OPINION!!

Maybe you did not want to bring your disability up so why is it my place to ask your circumstances? Non of my business. You gave the information, I gave my response.

Like I said in a previous post some people think only rich people should have children.

Here's why the country (not the government, they're not the owners of state money) should support families - they are the tax payers and arse wipers of the future. Good luck being taken care of when you're old as our generation is going to far outstrip youngsters by the time we're old. There'll not be enough money in the pot to take care of us and there won't be enough people doing the jobs caring for the elderly. There is a bigger picture to welfare.

We are in a recession, they need to save money some where and 500 pound is alot of money!! There are people out there losing their jobs but we should continue to hand out 500 quid to everyone who is entitled. I think not

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->