Teacher mums chat thread

Hi everyone, :flower: I just wondered if I could join. I am about to return to work next week after my years maternity leave. I had a beautiful baby boy back in June 2009 and will be putting him into a nursery 2 mins round the corner from school.:cry:

Welcome! I've only got 4 weeks left and go back when LO is 6 months (just). Don't know how I will leave her - it is just going to be so hard!

What do you teach?

Hi Gemma Lou :flower:.

Daisy will also be 6 months when I go back, well just a week under 6 months, and I'm getting on my own nerves because she is only just under 3 months now but instead of just cherishing this time with her I am spending so much time worrying about going back to school and how I'll still manage to BF as expressing at school isn't an option for me, and whether she'll remember I'm her mummy and all sorts of crazy things. I just know I'm going to be one of those neurotic mummies that I always used to secretly roll my eyes at!

I know what you mean about not cherishing the time! LO is 5 months today but instead of being happy I just thought on her 6 month birthday it will be my first day back at work.

I think my problem is I think (well i know) that noone knows her as well as I do, I know the difference in her cries and I will put up with her nap nightmares! Will the childminder? The thought of her crying and me not being there kills me.

but if I don't work she has no house, or food. It seems a little consilation at the mo. Maybe my day at work tomorrow will help. Or make it worse....

great, i emailed my hod to ask if he could give me a heads up what i would be doing on my return even if he could only tell me what i would do for the day and a half before Easter and I got laughed at.

not what i need to alleviate my worries about coping on return!!

what an arse! My school tried to make me do all sorts but I'm not giving up time with my LO to do cover!

Hope it works!

Daisy will also be 6 months when I go back, well just a week under 6 months, and I'm getting on my own nerves because she is only just under 3 months now but instead of just cherishing this time with her I am spending so much time worrying about going back to school and how I'll still manage to BF as expressing at school isn't an option for me, and whether she'll remember I'm her mummy and all sorts of crazy things. I just know I'm going to be one of those neurotic mummies that I always used to secretly roll my eyes at!

This is me too! I want to enjoy every second with my LO but it is kind of overshadowed by the thought that I am going to have to leave her and go back to work :( I am dreading the first day so much even though it is not until June, it is going to feel like tearningmy heart out leaving her. On the other hand as History girls said, if I don't work, then we have nowhere to live and can't pay the bills so I guess this is another way of showing her my love by providing for her. Not going to make it any easier though. I find myself resenting OH sometimes for not earning more so that I can be a SAHM.

When I did an ESOL course I had to do something like this and I taught the finger spelling alphabet, which worked quite well and it fun, and you can get people to spell their own names. It also gives you a chance to use different teaching styles and appeal to different learners as you can do the whole VAK thing.

I am loving this idea, was going to do something to do with Science but this sounds far more off the wall and impressive!!!!!!!!!

What did you do, did you have a poster up of the different signs and then show them as well?? Did you do my name is and all that stuff too? Do you think I'll be able to do it in ten minutes?

This is me too! I want to enjoy every second with my LO but it is kind of overshadowed by the thought that I am going to have to leave her and go back to work :( I am dreading the first day so much even though it is not until June, it is going to feel like tearningmy heart out leaving her. On the other hand as History girls said, if I don't work, then we have nowhere to live and can't pay the bills so I guess this is another way of showing her my love by providing for her. Not going to make it any easier though. I find myself resenting OH sometimes for not earning more so that I can be a SAHM.

Yeah, I know what you mean about OH. I'm jealous of my husband because he will be looking after Daisy every day when I go back to school. He earns half as much as I do and we can't afford me to be part time but we can just about manage with him going part time so he will work evenings 6 til 9 so will get to spend so much time with Daisy and when he's at work she'll be in bed anyway. I'm so glad he's going to be caring for her as he is an amazing daddy and will do a brilliant job but I can't help feeling jealous because if I was the one who earned less then I'd be able to be the one looking after her.

How are you going to manage to keep on BF Cattia? That is one of my main worries about going back to work.

Although my DH isn't going part time, he is doing a condensed week so working full time hours over 4 days so he'll get the extra day and I have to go back full time - it sucks!!!

Yeah, I know what you mean about OH. I'm jealous of my husband because he will be looking after Daisy every day when I go back to school. He earns half as much as I do and we can't afford me to be part time but we can just about manage with him going part time so he will work evenings 6 til 9 so will get to spend so much time with Daisy and when he's at work she'll be in bed anyway. I'm so glad he's going to be caring for her as he is an amazing daddy and will do a brilliant job but I can't help feeling jealous because if I was the one who earned less then I'd be able to be the one looking after her.

How are you going to manage to keep on BF Cattia? That is one of my main worries about going back to work.

Hey, i had same worries with returning and bf. my work did try to accomedate my requests to express, but didn't have anywhere suitable. i built up a stash of expressed milk in the freezer before i returned. i've since switched to ff in the daytime and bf evenings, weekends and holidays with little problems.
my OH is a sahd. OH would only have £100 per month after nursery fees so we decided it wasn't worth it. it was tough at first as i felt it was really unfair and i wished it was the other way round, then we started teething and the flu. LO is always excited to see me when i come home which makes it worth it.

Hey, i had same worries with returning and bf. my work did try to accomedate my requests to express, but didn't have anywhere suitable. i built up a stash of expressed milk in the freezer before i returned. i've since switched to ff in the daytime and bf evenings, weekends and holidays with little problems.
my OH is a sahd. OH would only have £100 per month after nursery fees so we decided it wasn't worth it. it was tough at first as i felt it was really unfair and i wished it was the other way round, then we started teething and the flu. LO is always excited to see me when i come home which makes it worth it.

Yes, I am building up a store of expressed milk too but I don't think I'll be able to express enough so will prob have to combination feed. I'm also worried about being really engorged during the day at work.

My hubby is in the same position. The amount we lose by him going part time is less than we'd have to pay for a nursery so it seems the best decision all round. I'm going to be so excited about getting in from work knowing I have a little princess there waiting for me :cloud9:!

I've just had an awful thought...I go back in June... just in time to have to write all my classes reports with little time to complete them and not much knowledge on what they can or can't do :dohh: !!

Well my school are just nasty! I was all smug going back to take over an NQT timetble of only 90% but guess what? They are taking hours of other staff to give me a full timetable! this is because I asked to go back to my old job.

Do I moan and complain? or do I accept it with a smile and prove they haven't pissed me off when they really have?

grrrrrrr

grr i would be annoyed too :( if you say anything do you think they will change it? xx

Well guys - tomorrow is my interview for the deputy headship - am doing the finger spelling 10 minute lesson which I've practised on DH. Got to do a data exercise and a 30 minute interview. Had to go out and buy a new suit as still got mucho baby weight to loose!!!!!!!!!

Anyway - wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!!!!!!

Third time - great that you are doing the finger spelling lesson :) I am sure it will go great! They always say you should be yourself in interviews - it sounds cliched but I actually think it is true. Good luck and make sure you update us as to how it goes.

Jchihuahua - I am really not sure about BF. I think I am going to wean at 20 weeks which is 4 weeks before I go back, and aim to pump once during the day and do a feed morning and evening, hopefully this will keep my supply up enough to keep BF. I think I am going to mix baby rice etc with formula rather than breast milk, but I need to give some thought to how it will all work.

History Girls - they are B*****ds for doing that to you! I suppose they are within their rights though so probably the best thing to do would be to smile sweetly and not let them know they have peed you right off! How petty of them to do that. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Good luck third time - hope it goes ok. I hate interviews and love them at the same time.

i think I'm going to go for the smilling sweetly and saying no problem - just to annoy them. They will be expecting me to moan.

Got to request my timetable today for after Easter. Really real now. But it means we will have some money again (minus childcare) and only two weeks until a bank holiday.

Third time I am dying to know how your interview went! Please update us soon x

hi

i am a teacher going thru a batlle for part time work n sept at moment. i go back in june and dreading it already!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jem,

Are your school being difficult about you returning to work part time? Do you have a union rep who you can talk to? They really do have to be flexible in accommodating your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->