To Train Up A Child - your thoughts? WARNING - may be upsetting to read

Yeah I AM a catholic christian and I reaaallly hope nobody thinks we're all like this after reading this!!! We're not at all--I think this is SICK. :cry:

The Pearls aren't Catholic, I beleive they are Amish. Awful, awful, awful :nope:

This is heart-breaking :cry:. Those poor babies that have suffered because of this book.

I am a Christian, Protestant. I am also American, and I want to say that this is not the way Americans act! I think the methods taught by the Pearls in this book are horrid and not representative of what the Bible teaches, nor what Jesus would do. The Bible tells us that the children used to flock around Jesus when he was out and about, and we all know that children wouldn't do that with an unkind or cruel man. Obviously, they loved Jesus because he was kind to them.

I have another element to add to this thread: years ago, a friend recommended to me the book by Debbie Pearl (Mike's wife) called "Created to be His Help Meet". It tells the wife how to act/be with her husband. I was in an abusive marriage, and that book told me to stay with him!!!!:wacko: So I did!!!!! (Until he left me, thank God.)

The Pearls evidently are very sick people indeed.:nope:

^^ I agree, as an American and a Christian myself, we (as in my family) does not even believe in ANY kind of physical punishment for ANY age...certainly not babies! I know not everyone would think all Christians believe this crap but still feel the need to say that we don't! I don't even believe that the 'rod' mentioned in the bible means to spank at all...but that could be a whole other debate.

Reading this actually made me cry.
It SICKENS me that someone would do these things to their children. It's abuse, plain and simple.
A couple of months ago I accidentally bumped Hana's head on the change table and it hurt her a little bit. She cried for less than a minute, but I cried for a lot longer than that! It broke my heart that she was hurt, but even worse because I caused it. The thought of people purposely hurting their children like that literally makes me want to throw up.
I don't agree with whipping, etc at any age...but especially babies!!! IMO, it takes a SICK person to hit a baby.
These people should be in jail. And it's disgusting that there are people who are giving this book a high rating and recommending it to other people.

That last quote just screamed CHILD ABUSE to me!!!!! Morons, absolute morons! :nope: I would never think this represents the majority of Christians. Seems like a radical sect in my opinion. DH and I have had many discussions about the usage of spankings with our LO. I'm against it. DH was raised where a little slap on the bum as a last resort is acceptable. I think we'll be able to come to a compromise. In this day and age there is NO reason to hit a child for ANY reason! :grr:

:cry:It's just so horrible!

With or without the help of this book those poor children were doomed to begin with. Because IMO no good parent who really loves their child could put them through anything like this.

well heres some more from the guy that annoyed me: (i know theres plenty more)

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (Prov. 13:24).”

This is one of many verses in the Bible that instruct parents to chasten their disobedient children with a rod. Websters Dictionary defines rod as: “a straight slender stick growing on or cut from a tree or bush.”

im sorry but i didnt read that passage from the bible as "go get a stick from that tree and smack his ass till its blue"

Its simply saying that discipling your child is showing them love, letting them run riot isnt doing them any favors. It is by no means saying to hit your children

The bible also says that you shouldnt 'irritate' your children but go on bringing them up in love.

some reviews:

On page 80 they recommend giving a child having a tantrum "a swift *forceful* spanking" and to whip them until they stop screaming from the torture! They say to continue whipping until their crying turns into a "wounded, submissive whimper." And if the tiny child does obey before being whipped, to WHIP THEM ANYWAY! And "if you have to sit on him to spank him, then do not hesitate!"

This is abuse. simple. Violence is never acceptable as a parenting method

Makes my blood boil.

I'm disgusted... The exact reason why I stay away from anything religious. :nope:

This is nothing to do with bible or God, thats really important to remember

These are sick individuals, the blame lies with them, and them alone

Terrible terrible terrible... :cry:

I read about this book a few months ago and didn't believe it was real. I was HORRIFIED. I haven't read this thread but I found the facebook fan page and didn't want to "like" it at the time as it was full of so called "Christians" speaking of removing the devil form their children. People do believe this and it's horrific.

On facebook I didn't have it in me to "like" it so that I could then comment on it but I see someone has so I may well join them.

The link is here there's a part of me that still cannot believe this book is real and people enforce such brutality on their own children. If it's true I think such parents should be rounded up and given a taste of their own medicine. Please someo e tell me it's a horrible hoax in VERY VERY bad taste? :cry:

After reading through I just wanted to add that no one in their right minds would think Christianity had anything to do with this perversion.

Its awful that someone has posted on the facebook page saying something like "what would Jesus do to a four month old child trying to climb the stairs, beat them with a rod or gently something or other" and someone has actually responded, firstly remoove gently THEN the rod!!!! :cry:

And one last thing. You can report the facebook fanpage to facebook (google "to train up a child facebook") which may get it removed but ideally the book should be banned and the authors locked up or maybe put in stocks in a public square.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->