• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Today I heard the name _________ & think it's __________.

We're naming this baby boy Declan James (pronounced Deck-lan). If we ever have another girl, her name will be Bronte Noelle (pronounced Bron-tee).

We're naming this baby boy Declan James (pronounced Deck-lan). If we ever have another girl, her name will be Bronte Noelle (pronounced Bron-tee).

I didn't know Declan was considered unusual enough to warrant a pronunciation guide! It's my uncle's name, and I know a couple of other people with that name too. Is it just me perhaps? I live in somewhere known as Little Ireland, for the number of Irish immigrants, so is it perhaps more common amongst the Irish, and not common where you are, Joesgirl?

And I agree that Zeke isn't unusual, it's short for Ezekiel. I really like it, but DH won't let me use it. Was LLogan spelled like that, with two L's, or was that a typo? Because I wouldn't consider Logan that odd, either. It's a nice Celtic name. It's on our short list.

Today (yesterday and for months now) I've been hearing/reading the name "Olivia" and though it's very pretty...it reminds me of the character out of the book "Olivia" the annoying pig.

Cute name...horrible association.

Today I heard the name Aria and I think it's pretty awesome.

My fiancée loves that it's music related.

I didn't know Declan was considered unusual enough to warrant a pronunciation guide! It's my uncle's name, and I know a couple of other people with that name too. Is it just me perhaps? I live in somewhere known as Little Ireland, for the number of Irish immigrants, so is it perhaps more common amongst the Irish, and not common where you are, Joesgirl?

And I agree that Zeke isn't unusual, it's short for Ezekiel. I really like it, but DH won't let me use it. Was LLogan spelled like that, with two L's, or was that a typo? Because I wouldn't consider Logan that odd, either. It's a nice Celtic name. It's on our short list.

Yes, it's completely unusual from where I'm from, Oregon, USA. In fact, most of the time when I tell people the name, they act confused and asked how it's spelled, or if they read it on my facebook, they assume it's Dee-clan. I love the name. My husband and I picked it for it's Irish heritage because his mom is Irish, making him half. Her parents immigrated from Ireland to New York and that's where she was raised. I don't think it's a family name though. Sorry if I offended anyone on here by posting it as an unusual name, that was my ignorance! Sorry!

Today I heard the name __LUCAS____ & think it's a Liquid Cutting Smooth sounding name. Almost like the sound of a stone being dropped into water and the subsequent splash. If we have a boy I might consider naming him Lucas.

I looooove the name Lucas. Its the name of one of my dogs (LOL) but he is very old, so he will be long gone before I have a boy. I love my Lucas :) Gorgeous name!

I saw the name Beatrice the other day and thought it'd make too long a name together with my surname, but it's beautiful :)

The other day I heard the name Silver as my partner was going through english baby names and I think its a beautiful name and its what im calling my daughter! :)

Addison...........

my 10 day overdue little bundle of love is obviously too comfy in there. getting soooo impatient to meet her! Cant decide on Addison Grace or Addison Lexi.
Are you a Greys Anatomy fan? I am - that's what your names remind me of, not that that's a bad thing :)

I'm a Grey's Anatomy fan. I thought the same thing when I read those names.
Though I would prefer Lexie Grace as a combination.

We had our whole family send us name suggestions for our baby girl and I put them all together with our suggestions to have a look at them. DH joked about all the Grey-A names (Addison, Christina...), but most of them were just coincidences (and weren't even from me). Then I told him that I really loved the name Lexie, but Grey's A ruined it for me: I wouldn't want to look back and think "it's because of that show that we gave you that name!" cause I didn't know the name existed before the show.

I also love Greys Anatomy and have got Lexie on my name list, think OH likes it too but a few people have said it sounds like a strippers name! I don't think so though..

Someone posted that Bob wasnt short for anything, isnt it short for Robert!?

And another posted the name Octavia, which just reminds me of a Skoda Octavia.. lol

Yes, it's completely unusual from where I'm from, Oregon, USA. In fact, most of the time when I tell people the name, they act confused and asked how it's spelled, or if they read it on my facebook, they assume it's Dee-clan. I love the name. My husband and I picked it for it's Irish heritage because his mom is Irish, making him half. Her parents immigrated from Ireland to New York and that's where she was raised. I don't think it's a family name though. Sorry if I offended anyone on here by posting it as an unusual name, that was my ignorance! Sorry!

Oh, I wasn't offended at all, just mildly bemused! It makes sense now I know you're American, it's not a name I've heard used by any Americans so I guess it's rare there.

Do you know if Ziggy and Delight were nicknames? They're pretty "imaginative" first names! Poor kids. :haha:

Delight is definitely her real name. Ziggy I'm not sure, it was written with his surname on his peg so I assume it's real. We have quite a large African community where we live so it's actually pretty common to see "descriptive" names like Patience, Precious, Happiness, Lucky etc (I could go on). Which is why I always think it's strange when I see people on here who are surprised about the names Precious and Patience: for me these are actually pretty common names in London! I though Delight was a bit more unusual as I haven't seen it before. Having said that I know someone who is Italian who has a LO called Diletta in her family, which is Italian for Delight.

Ziggy always reminds me of Celine Dion's song : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_garçon_pas_comme_les_autres_(Ziggy)

Apparently it's short for German name Siegmund. I would definitely never use either one of them.

Today I heard the name Miller and it made me want a beer! I don't actually mind it all that much, it just made me think of Miller time or Miller Genuine Draft!

Joesgirl -- I love the name Declan! I am from the US, also... and i've NEVER heard the name before! I heard it for the 1st time here, on BnB, a few months ago... and i did have to ask how to pronounce it :blush:

I love it tho!

Today i was watching a TV special about The Titanic... and heard the name Millvina. She is a sweet little old lady who survived the sinking of The Titanic.

It's not a name i would pick... but thought i would share it with my BnB friends... many of which like those old kind of names!

Millie is a cute nickname!

The first time I came upon gretchen I thought 'WTF' because nobody in Germany would call their child Gretchen (maybe grete or greta) but those names where out of fashion about a 100 years ago? also chen is a diminutive so the only time you would call a girl gretchen would be if it was a toddler or school kid.
I guess it is the same as some German people who name their kids Bill or Tommy without realising that they are nicknames and hardly ever given names.

Today i heard the name Sarah Zoie, Which is what my unborn niece is going to be called, What do you guys think? Not sure about it, i cant seem to imagain a baby called Sarah, a teen and a adult its really nice. Opinions :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->