TTC after Methotrexate shot

happigail, so sorry for your loss. :hugs: I'm glad that we have been able to help. I know that when I went through this, I didn't know anyone who had been through it before, so it was a huge relief to find these ladies.

I had a similar experience as JPARR, the emotional was much worse than the physical for me. I did bleed for what felt like forever. I had started miscarrying before getting the mtx shot, and then the bleeding stopped and my hcg stopped going down. That was when I got the mtx, and then I started bleeding again a few days after getting the shot. I did have cramps while I was bleeding, but they weren't really that much worse than cramps I normally get with AF.

The time does start to go by quickly, I promise. Right after the shot, I couldn't really even think about TTC again, because I was so scared. Now that I am 3 months past it and getting ready to TTC again, I can say that some of the excitement about TTC is back. I still have the fear of what if this happens again, but at least I have some hopefulness and excitement to balance it out now.

We are here for whatever support we can give. This is a crappy club to be in, but if I had to be in this club I am glad there are such great ladies with me :flower:

Oh, happigail, I'm sorry you have joined our club :( It sucks and I'm very sorry for your loss. It's so hard that on top of the sadness that comes with a miscarriage there is a real fear associated with ectopics and pregnancies of unknown location. But what everyone said here is true: it does get better and the fear does eventually subside. I can honestly say I'm ready to start trying again - the 3 months do go by so quickly! And like, JPARR, I also decided to wait one more additional month. It totally just depends on your comfort factor.

What level was your HcG when you got your shot? Mine was around 3500, then it went up 4200, and finally started falling. I didn't need a second shot. For me, I felt totally fine from the shot for the first week. It wasn't until my HcG started falling (which triggered the bleeding to start) that I had some pretty bad cramps. But prescription pain killers worked for me, and lot of people on here didn't even get as bad of cramps as I did.

Hang in there!! We are thinking of you!! xxoo

Oh you guys are so wonderful, thank you so much. I was desperate to come back and read the replies I knew there'd be.

I have been so worried today thinking that it wasn't working as I've no cramps or bleeding, but my hcg won't be going down yet will it? So I should expect that from 3/4 days?

My levels at the last count were around 750 (at 6.5 weeks preg) and I basically gain around a 100 a day, so my levels are quite low, which gives me hope.

I cannot WAIT to be talking to you wonderful women at the end of this, I know that no one else in my love will understand the joy of reaching 0 and even just dropping in numbers.. Also right now starting to bleed would in a weird way make me feel further down the line. But like you guys I have first period to look forward to and all these things that no one else would understand.

Xxxxxx

It is totally NORMAL for your HCG to rise on day 3-4 and then by day 7 start to fall. I freaked out when my HCG was rising, but, the doctor reassured me that my levels will start falling at day 7 and they did.

It took about 21 days for my numbers to finally hit zero (highest my levels got were 114). It is the greatest feeling in the world when your numbers hit zero. Once my hcg went to zero, I got my AF about 3 weeks and 5 days later. It was the greatest feeling in the world to see AF!!! It meant that my body was getting back to normal.

Make sure that once your levels hit 0 you start back up on prenatal vitamins and extra folic acid. My doctor recommended for me to go on prescription prenatals because they had a bit more stuff in them then over the counter prenatals. I also bought separate folic acid pills and took them along with my prenatals. So I have been taking about 2.5-4 mg of folic acid a day for the last 2.5 months. My doctor said the highest dose of folic acid he gives to his patients is 4mg because anything after 4mg we just pee out and doesn't get absorbed.

epump!!!! You are almost ready to start TTC again right!?!?!?!? When will you be testing for that BFP?!!?!??!?!

Well ladies, AF arrived this am (my 3rd AF since the miscarriage), so I guess that means I am officially back to TTC! I was excited to see AF this morning, but a little nervous too. I am not looking forward to going back to my FS's office since the last time I was there was during the miscarriage, but I just need to go and get it over with. It kind of pisses me off that I won't ever again experience just excitement when it comes to TTC. That feeling is not helped by my raging PMS, or MS as DH calls it, since I am the worst during AF and not before it. :p

Wahoo Michelle! That is awesome that you are officially back in the game! Is your FS going to do anything different this cycle? Or are you doing Clomid, Ovidrel again (I saw in your signature)? I totally understand about not wanting to go back to the office! I started seeing a FS for some tests after the last ectopic and, God willing, I get another BFP I want to stay at my FS for early monitoring until I get released to my OB/GYN. All my ectopic nightmare was at my OBs so I'd like to not return until things are looking more positive.

Anyway, I think I may be right behind you in terms of timing, Michelle. I should be getting AF in the next few days, also my 3rd since the shot. JPARR, not sure about testing date yet! Will depend on when AF comes in the next week or so. What about you? When are you due for your next AF???

epump, I thought that our cycles were within a couple days of each other. I can't wait for you and JPARR to join me! It is nice to have the moral support. They are going to do the same protocol as last time, 50 mg of clomid CD 3-7, ovidrel to force ovulation once they see that I have a mature follie, and IUI 36 hours after the ovidrel shot. Based on how it went last time, I will probably have the IUI sometime between July 6-8. My 1st appt is Saturday morning, so I can just get that 1st visit out of the way.

While I wish I didn't need an FS, one of the benefits of it is all the monitoring you get. I know that mine will do a beta 15 days after my IUI, and if it is positive, they repeat the beta in 48 hours and do it a 3rd time 48 hours after that to make sure it is doubling like it should. The first scan is scheduled for 6 weeks, which is a lot earlier than it would be at a my regular OB. If that scan looks good, they do another at 8 weeks, and if that one is good, then I get released to the regular OB.

Is your FS doing anything in particular for you in terms of TTC, or is it more for monitoring once you get the BFP?

Wow Michelle you have to go through so much. Fingers firmly crossed for a good bfp really soon, with beautifully doubling numbers.. Then you can be so excited xxx

Thanks happigail! It's a lot of doctor's visits, but they are quick and relatively painless, so it could be worse. How are you feeling today?

Btw, your daughter is absolutely adorable, and her name is so pretty!

I know, it will be great to have some cycle buddies! Yeah, the early monitoring is really nice. Although I am kinda dreading having betas drawn again after the 3 week beta hell of last time. Wish I could be a normal pregnant person and just show up for an 8 week ultrasound....oh well.

Is your FS doing anything in particular for you in terms of TTC, or is it more for monitoring once you get the BFP?
Right now I'm getting a CD3 blood test (to check hormones, FSH, prolactin, etc.) and a CD10 HSG (to check tubes and uterus). After that I'll proceed as "normal" and start progesterone 5-6 days after ovulation is detected on an OPK. My FS said we'll try that before moving onto Clomid, etc. At this moment I don't *appear* to have any apparent issues as I get regular normal periods, have been charting for a year detecting ovulation, etc. The only thing that might be going on is a shorter LP - and I know that is controversial issues with FS, particularly whether to treat with progesterone or Clomid.

My FS didn't seem overly concerned when I had my consulation. He said my chemical pregnancy and ectopic were probably unrelated. Chemical pregnancies are SO common and the ectopic might have just been really bad luck since I don't have any of the risk factors. But who knows? He did agree that I was right to want to start doing some prelim testing and he was fine to monitor me during a next pregnancy.

If you don't mind me asking, what have you issues been? Were you not ovulating on your own with the PCOS and elevated prolactin? Apologies if I'm being too nosy....

I agree with Michell! happigail, your daughter is just beautiful!!

Hi everyone! I just had a methotrexate shot yesterday for an ectopic pregnancy. :cry: I have been on a crazy emotional rolercoaster. I had surgery Feb. 2009 to remove a cyst and the doc found really bad endometriosis. We had been trying to get pregnant a year prior to that. A few months after the surgery, we got pregnant. I gave birth in Jan. 2010. It has been the best thing ever. I stopped nursing this Jan. and we started trying for another a few months ago. I went in to see the doc last Thurs. for bleeding that I thought was my endometriosis. I found out I was pregnant. As happy, and shocked, as I was, I knew something wasn't right with all the bleeding. My HCG levels were 1450. I went back Monday and my levels were 1800. THe ultrasound showed no sack in my uterus. It was a bad day to say the least. I went back yesterday for third round of blood tests. My HCG levels were 2700, but still no sack in my uterus. Being only 4 weeks along, the doc gave me a shot of methotrexate. I know this is only the beginning of my journey through this. I am so glad there is a group like this. It has been helpful this morning as I lie here resting, watching my Blaire bear play, and waiting to see how it will affect me. Has anyone else experienced constant bleeding? Will it get worse? Will it stop as my HCG levels go down?

You are not being nosy. :flower: I am not sure if I was ovulating prior to seeing the FS. Unlike some women with PCOS, I get a period regularly, sometimes my cycles can be a little long like 35 days, but nothing crazy. I started using the digital OPKs about 4-5 months before I was diagnosed with PCOS, and every month I would get a positive. What made me realize that something wasn't right was that my period would come between 6-9 days after getting the positive OPK, which obviously is not normal. My regular OBGYN said to try clomid for 3 months. When I wasn't pregnant at the end of 3 months, they did an ultrasound and that's when they saw I have PCOS and sent me to an FS. The FS ran some bloodwork and then found that I have elevated prolactin as well. Medication easily controls the prolactin issue, which is nice.

I think that with the meds for the prolactin and the clomid, I would ovulate on my own. With my 1st IUI, I had a mature follicle and they were going to have me do the ovidrel and then IUI 36 hours later, but my IUI had to be moved up because the bloodwork showed that I got the LH surge on my own and was going to ovulate without the shot. With the 2nd one, I had a mature follicle by CD 13, so they were able to give me the ovidrel before I got the LH surge on my own, and time the IUI perfectly. Even though I think I would ovulate on my own, having the shot helps them make sure it is all timed perfectly, since ovulation happens within 24-36 hours of the shot.

I am lucky that my PCOS is apparently pretty mild, some women with it go months without a period, have problems with their weight, and need a lot more meds than I do to get pregnant. So I just keep telling myself that whenever I am tempted to throw a pity party for myself O:)

It's great that your FS is on board with monitoring. Its nice to have that reassurance!

Hi everyone! I just had a methotrexate shot yesterday for an ectopic pregnancy. :cry: I have been on a crazy emotional rolercoaster. I had surgery Feb. 2009 to remove a cyst and the doc found really bad endometriosis. We had been trying to get pregnant a year prior to that. A few months after the surgery, we got pregnant. I gave birth in Jan. 2010. It has been the best thing ever. I stopped nursing this Jan. and we started trying for another a few months ago. I went in to see the doc last Thurs. for bleeding that I thought was my endometriosis. I found out I was pregnant. As happy, and shocked, as I was, I knew something wasn't right with all the bleeding. My HCG levels were 1450. I went back Monday and my levels were 1800. THe ultrasound showed no sack in my uterus. It was a bad day to say the least. I went back yesterday for third round of blood tests. My HCG levels were 2700, but still no sack in my uterus. Being only 4 weeks along, the doc gave me a shot of methotrexate. I know this is only the beginning of my journey through this. I am so glad there is a group like this. It has been helpful this morning as I lie here resting, watching my Blaire bear play, and waiting to see how it will affect me. Has anyone else experienced constant bleeding? Will it get worse? Will it stop as my HCG levels go down?

Hey there! I am sorry for your loss. I had bleeding from the day I found out I was pregnant till the day my HCG finally went to 0. So it was over a month and couple of days for me. I got my shot on March 22 and the bleeding finally stopped on April 11-12. Some people say it does get worse while others it doesn't. I really think it just depends on each person. :hugs: We are here for ya!

I just saw this thread and have a question as i can't read thr all the pages..lol

My numbers were 25000 at 8 weeks......I ended up with a tubal( baby had actually implanted at the top of my uterus).....
Dr. gave me 3 prcriptions and little info....
Do i have to wait til I am at 0 to start my new prenatals...with extra folic...cause nobody told me that........
Last week i had bloods done to check.....but no idea what they are...
I just started taking them..so will stop until i get an answer form my Dr....... thank goodness I saw this.....again BandB comes to the rescue

Hi runningmom, sorry for your loss. I bled off and on for close to a month. I did stop bleeding once my levels got down near 0.

Hi CHILLbilly, sorry for your loss as well. I was told by my doctor to stop taking my prenatal after the shot because the folic acid can keep the methotrexate from working properly. I started the prenatal again once I went to 0, and my FS told me that the reason they tell women who get mtx shots to wait 3 months or 2 cycles before they start TTC again is because they need time to build up the folic acid again. He didn't tell me to take extra during the past 3 months, but I have anyway because it can't hurt!

Chillbilly: Sorry for your loss hun :hugs: Dr. told me to stop taking prenatals, specifically folic acid until you're down to 0. Then wait 3 months before ttc again. Exactly what Michelle said.

Thank you guys!! Kitty is keeping me sane atm, she is such a sweet sweet child.
Wow runningmum we're only a day apart from taking the shot... Hugs xx

Guys I'm getting concerned, I've had no cramping or bleeding still. All I've had is a tiny bit of brown discharge. I'm terrified it's not working.

Also I am not able to stay up past getting my children into bed. Part of it is I'm bone tired but the biggest part is that when they are asleep I have to much time to think and I quickly get myself into a panic attack thinking about all this but also constantly thinking I have other under lying illness waiting to get me. I just have to go to sleep as otherwise I think my fiancé will notice and ask what's wrong and then I'd get a bit Ott and cry a lot.

Maybe I'm just going a bit crazy....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->