2014 March Rainbows

Yeah the protocol tends to be after 3 mcs but it depends on the doctor and what they see fit. Some doctors will, some wont xx

I think my opinion is that I'd rather NHS resource and money be spent on viable pregnancies than early pregnancy which is a big unknown and where the inevitable is just that.

... I'd much rather money be spent on neo-natal wards and staff than EPAUs scanning us neurotic first triers :haha: xx

I'm in the US where the healthcare system is obviously dramatically different, so I do understand the argument that resources are more scarce in the NHS and need to be conserved, but at the same time, I really find your comment about viable v. early pregnancies a little offensive. An early pregnancy can be viable, just as a later pregnancy can end in a loss. To suggest that somehow early pregnancy is "less than" or less deserving just because there is a higher risk of loss (which is still actually pretty low) I think is pretty hurtful, especially since so many women on this thread are IN the early stages of their pregnancy and are afraid of another loss.

I'm sure it's not what you meant, but your comment does seem to be pretty disparaging. Besides, if NHS money is only spent on "viable pregnancies", what about treatment for women who are undergoing a loss? That money is being spent on a non-viable pregnancy. Besides, even over here, I would have no objection to a woman who's on Medicare getting a reassurance scan, even though it's public money that's being spent.. and I am incredibly conservative when it comes to the use of public benefits.

Besides, I think that medical treatment isn't always just about the physical state of being of the patient; good medical treatment also honors the spiritual and emotional needs of the patient. If a woman is miserable with worry and not sleeping, eating, or happy, then her baby is potentially suffering as well. If a reassurance scan will improve her mental wellbeing and lower her stress level, then that is better for the baby too. You can't entirely disconnect the mother's mental/emotional health from the health of the baby because one can affect the other. Just look at the fact that women who are depressed are 50% less likely to conceive than women who aren't. We still don't entirely understand the complex way in which a mother's emotional state affects a growing fetus.

Like I said, I really do understand your underlying point about conserving resources, I think I'm just reacting to the way it was phrased.

In Canada it's different for scans too. I think it all depends on who's care you are under. I've had 2 early losses and am now under the care of an RE. I am getting my first scan at 7 weeks and then every week until week 10 -- so I'll be getting 4 scans (weeks 7, 8, 9, and 10). Once my RE is happy that my pregnancy is progressing as it should, he "graduates" me to an actual OB for the rest of my pregnancy.

Some people need early scans. Doesnt mean the needs of those who need them in an emergency are taken away. I dont think any one pregnancy is more "important" than the other. I'm only getting so many scans because of my history and because that is why my RE's protocol is.

I think my opinion is that I'd rather NHS resource and money be spent on viable pregnancies than early pregnancy which is a big unknown and where the inevitable is just that.

... I'd much rather money be spent on neo-natal wards and staff than EPAUs scanning us neurotic first triers :haha: xx

I'm in the US where the healthcare system is obviously dramatically different, so I do understand the argument that resources are more scarce in the NHS and need to be conserved, but at the same time, I really find your comment about viable v. early pregnancies a little offensive. An early pregnancy can be viable, just as a later pregnancy can end in a loss. To suggest that somehow early pregnancy is "less than" or less deserving just because there is a higher risk of loss (which is still actually pretty low) I think is pretty hurtful, especially since so many women on this thread are IN the early stages of their pregnancy and are afraid of another loss.

I'm sure it's not what you meant, but your comment does seem to be pretty disparaging. Besides, if NHS money is only spent on "viable pregnancies", what about treatment for women who are undergoing a loss? That money is being spent on a non-viable pregnancy. Besides, even over here, I would have no objection to a woman who's on Medicare getting a reassurance scan, even though it's public money that's being spent.. and I am incredibly conservative when it comes to the use of public benefits.

Besides, I think that medical treatment isn't always just about the physical state of being of the patient; good medical treatment also honors the spiritual and emotional needs of the patient. If a woman is miserable with worry and not sleeping, eating, or happy, then her baby is potentially suffering as well. If a reassurance scan will improve her mental wellbeing and lower her stress level, then that is better for the baby too. You can't entirely disconnect the mother's mental/emotional health from the health of the baby because one can affect the other. Just look at the fact that women who are depressed are 50% less likely to conceive than women who aren't. We still don't entirely understand the complex way in which a mother's emotional state affects a growing fetus.

Like I said, I really do understand your underlying point about conserving resources, I think I'm just reacting to the way it was phrased.

By "viable" I meant ladies that give birth to preemies. You can't save a baby at 6 weeks pregnant. That's not to belittle a first tri loss but there is very little, if anything, that can be done. If there is anyone here that would rather money be spent on their 6 week ultrasound than saving their baby born prematurely I'll be very much surprised!

We are ALL here cos we are afraid of another loss. I myself am obviously afraid of another loss or I wouldnt be here so I dont think what i said was offensive given that I am in the same boat. I just don't agree with people getting scans because they want one rather than need one.

Having one miscarriage alone doesn't make you more likely to have another. If there is nothing in a new pregnancy to suggest anything is wrong (pain/bleeding etc) I don't think a scan is necessary due to a previous loss unless recommended by the individual's Consultant.

That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

In Canada it's different for scans too. I think it all depends on who's care you are under. I've had 2 early losses and am now under the care of an RE. I am getting my first scan at 7 weeks and then every week until week 10 -- so I'll be getting 4 scans (weeks 7, 8, 9, and 10). Once my RE is happy that my pregnancy is progressing as it should, he "graduates" me to an actual OB for the rest of my pregnancy.

Some people need early scans. Doesnt mean the needs of those who need them in an emergency are taken away. I dont think any one pregnancy is more "important" than the other. I'm only getting so many scans because of my history and because that is why my RE's protocol is.

You've hit the nail on the head with "need". Your Doctor is recommending this to you not the other way around and that is what I have the issue with.

I didn't 'want' an early scan for the sake of it though, I felt I needed one to help me calm down and relax. Currently I'm crying every time I lose a symptom and waking up in the middle of the night to check for bleeding.. Which obviously doesn't help me or the baby.

Anyways moving on.. I saw a new doctor, he didn't have a clue about anything and told me I had to ask my midwife about any concerns, she should get in touch within a week or two. I even had to tell him to give me folic acid! :wacko: x

I didn't 'want' an early scan for the sake of it though, I felt I needed one to help me calm down and relax. Currently I'm crying every time I lose a symptom and waking up in the middle of the night to check for bleeding.. Which obviously doesn't help me or the baby.

I'm so sorry. :nope: I know EXACTLY what that feels like. Last weekend when my symptoms eased up, I couldn't do anything but worry. DH and I were on a "get away" weekend and all I could do was talk or worry about the baby. Poor DH! When we got the reassurance scan, he was like, "see, I TOLD you everything was fine!!" :haha:

I really hope you can get in for a scan and just put your mind at ease. Dealing with that amount of anxiety is miserable. I'll be thinking of you! Let me know what happens!! :hugs:

I think we all check for bleeding on a regular basis. I AM bleeding and have done from the start.

A scan at this stage would be more worrisome I think.

We've been for an early scan today (due to x2 mc) and have been told an EDD of 4th March :) lets hope this little beanie is a keeper!!

@Nat - Fair enough, that's you. I think it'd help me tbh. Can we drop it now? I only came on here for reassurance/to speak to women who felt the same.

@Topanga - Thank you, I'm glad everything seems to be going well for you though. The anxiety is miserable, I put it to the back of my mind but it always pops up again. Ill jus wait for my midwife and hopefully everything will be fine :) I will keep you updated, thanks again :hugs:

@Twinkl3 - Congratulations :) I'm glad you got good news! X

Thank you very much hun :)

I'm absolutely petrified! I can't help but think of negative things. It was such an unreal experience seeing the heartbeat today, considering everytime I've been the EPU it has always been for bad things.

@Nat - Fair enough, that's you. I think it'd help me tbh. Can we drop it now? I only came on here for reassurance/to speak to women who felt the same.

I thought I'd clearly said above that I felt the same :shrug:

But you don't, we obviously disagree about reassurance scans. Id do anything to see that my baby is developing right now but we share different views on that. Please can we leave it now? I'm sorry to hear you've been bleeding and tbf I think rather than discussing our different views we should be supporting enough other so I'd prefer to forget this conversation? X

@Twinkl3 - Try to relax now hun, easier said than done but its a good thing you've seen LO healthy! How far are you? X

7 + 3 .. Which I think it about right as I don't have a set cycle pattern, but they seemed to hover around 30-31 days :) Still early days so not getting 'too' excited as 'you never know'.

I see you're from Manchester? What area if you don't mind me asking? :) Thanks for your kind words.

Aaw, I hope it's your sticky :cloud9:

I'm from Bolton, Manchester is just easier :haha: are you from Manchester?

Thank you Hippielove :flower:

Amytrisha - I'm from Wigan, so not a great distance from you :D I agree, saying Manchester is so much easier for people to know where you are from rather than the town names.

Definitely not far, I live on the Wigan side of Bolton :haha: if I told somebody from London or Scotland I was from Bolton they probably wouldn't have a clue lol! Not seen many people on BnB from closeby so :wave:!

We've been for an early scan today (due to x2 mc) and have been told an EDD of 4th March :) lets hope this little beanie is a keeper!!

Fingers crossed that this is your rainbow!

Hiiiiiiiii

I got my :bfp: yesterday :) eeeeeeeekkkkkkk

Worked it out to that I'd be due around March 27th xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back