• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

August 2014

I'd love to do more stuff about etymology Danielle, I'm really hoping things like that come up in the next few years! our linguistics stuff was just so dry this year, there was nothing really interesting :wacko:

what's posh an acronym for? (I typed pish there, so glad I realised and changed it :lol:)

P.O.S.H comes from when people travelled on ships and the first class passengers were Port Out Starboard Home something to do with the sun rising for the first class passangers!! And scuba is another acronym Self Contained Underwater Breathing Aparatus.

(sorry Emma for the English override!!)

Emma I must admit I am a bit jealous that your venue is doing so much for you. I am doing DIY to keep costs down, will be in my wedding dress sorting out the room at this rate :haha:

Ahhh you won't be! You have plenty of time left and we'll all help! I am going to make my own invites, already in a bit of a panic about it :haha:

yeah I can imagine it would be really hard to pick up along the way, I'm so glad we did it as a module this year in preparation for the rest of the degree! I'm sure if you had done a module you would have loved it, it's so interesting. starting right at the beginning made it make so much sense. our phonetics exam has an 80% pass mark though :wacko: I'm so worried and stressed about exams just now.

I think with linguistics they tried to cover the basics of loads of stuff so that we have a foundation for next year, apparently second year linguistics is really difficult! so I'll probably be asking you for help :haha: I was hoping we would do sociolinguistics, maybe (and hopefully) next year!

I originally wanted to be a teacher, so I'm a bit jealous too! :haha: I don't think I could stand up in front of a class of kids, I was a language assistant in a school in spain for my year abroad for my last degree and I really didn't like it! up until then I totally thought I was cut out to be a teacher, you have to be a really special kind of person to be one though IMO and I am not one of those people :(

wow, that's quite a lot extra for the bursary! :happydance: are you on track for a first? it'll be good having your wedding to plan during the summer because otherwise you'd probably be a bit fed up after going from working so hard and being so busy to having loads more free time, I know I would be! :lol:

Ahh being a language assistant sounds good, did you enjoy it? I work 1 day a week in a school now and I love it but I'm still shitting myself about actually starting to teach though! I'm half excited and half dreading the PGCE, just want to qualify to be honest and start working.

Yeah I got a first for my second year and this year I have a good average (81%) but haven't handed in much work yet so there is still time for my marks to slip. I'm so worried all the time, I really really want a first! Ahhhhhhh good old summer holiday to plan the wedding, I really am glad to have something to do as I get so lazy and lethargic otherwise!

P.O.S.H comes from when people travelled on ships and the first class passengers were Port Out Starboard Home something to do with the sun rising for the first class passangers!! And scuba is another acronym Self Contained Underwater Breathing Aparatus.

(sorry Emma for the English override!!)

Hahaha no need to apologise, I am the ultimate geek! Love that Danielle! I haven't done any etymology since first year and that was before I had Oli, so it's kind of like another world :haha: I literally don't remember anything that I learned before I had him. :blush:

I've had 2 quotes from florists through which were for
1 bridal bouquet
3 bridesmaids bouquets
7 groomsmen buttonholes (includes grooms)
4 ladies corsages
For the church :
2 medium pedistal arrangements
1 alter long and low arrangement
12 pew ends
For the reception:
We are taking the alter arrangement and using it for the top table arrangement
8 martini vase arrangements
8 mirror plates to stand the vases on

1st quote was £1154 ( this includes keeping the martini vases and mirror plates plus set up delivery etc)
2nd quote £862 ( this includes hiring the martini vases and mirror plates plus set up delivery etc)

We budgeted £800 so the second quote virtually comes in on budget! I prefered the 2nd florist she seemed to understand what I wanted more!

How did I not know about this!? Eeeeek here to stalk and follow :yipee: I haven't shy advice but I love hearing about all your plans. I'm also extra excited as I'll get to see all the plans come together on the day :wohoo: xx

I've had 2 quotes from florists through which were for
1 bridal bouquet
3 bridesmaids bouquets
7 groomsmen buttonholes (includes grooms)
4 ladies corsages
For the church :
2 medium pedistal arrangements
1 alter long and low arrangement
12 pew ends
For the reception:
We are taking the alter arrangement and using it for the top table arrangement
8 martini vase arrangements
8 mirror plates to stand the vases on

1st quote was £1154 ( this includes keeping the martini vases and mirror plates plus set up delivery etc)
2nd quote £862 ( this includes hiring the martini vases and mirror plates plus set up delivery etc)

We budgeted £800 so the second quote virtually comes in on budget! I prefered the 2nd florist she seemed to understand what I wanted more!

Ahh that's so good! I literally have no idea how much flowers cost so thanks for the info, we are obviously going to have to go through the same florist that provide the table flowers to get the bouquets and buttonholes and I know that they are a super expensive modern design florist so kind of dreading knowing how much it will be... Hopefully not too much though as I only want really simple flowers! I'm glad our table flowers are provided, plus they come with the choice of either huge candelabras or really tall vases, think we're going for the candelabras with flower arrangement around the base :) what flowers did you choose?

How did I not know about this!? Eeeeek here to stalk and follow :yipee: I haven't shy advice but I love hearing about all your plans. I'm also extra excited as I'll get to see all the plans come together on the day :wohoo: xx

Woohoo! I can't wait, and of course I need my former bump buddy there! :wohoo: I can't believe Oli and Amber will be almost 4 by the wedding! Wonder what kind of mischief the kids will get up to together by then :haha: xx

officially stalking, you are going to be the most beautiful bride emma!

So I got in touch with my favourite photographer and he quoted £2200 for a full day's coverage + album and I really am not willing to pay that much, no matter how much I love his photos. We've decided to try and find a much (much!) cheaper photographer so that we can get a videographer too.

So after a couple of days of looking through the work of just about every videographer in the midlands and hating pretty much everything about them - the cheesy Hollywood style filming, the awkward interviews, the stupid fade ins and fade outs, I came across Shoot It Yourself and I am sooooo in love.

https://www.shoot-it-yourself.co.uk/

Basically they send you broadcast quality cameras, your guests do all of the filming and then you send it back to them and they edit it all for you. I just love the style, it seems so much more personal and you're able to capture moments that a videographer wouldn't be able to.

We have been discussing music a lot and we've always said we'd love a harpist, as my favourite music artist is Joanna Newsom who plays the harp and we saw her in Paris during our first year together. Randomly the night we got engaged we went for a meal in St Ives harbour and when we left there was a busker on a harp! Mostly though I always wanted them to play a song that is special to us (I have always had a Bjork song in my head but a bit unsure now) and tonight I found an incredible and reasonably priced harpist who is willing to learn any song :happydance:

I just want to start booking nowwwwww :wohoo:

I looove this idea, the harp is such a romantic-sounding instrument and anything remotely related to joanna newsom will always be good! Also the camera idea is amazing!

You will make such a beautiful bride Emma!

And Oli as a pageboy sounds too sweet, It makes me feel like welling up too and I'm not his mum!!

Nice one on the harp! My cousin had a harpist at her wedding and it was so elegant and ethereal and lovely.

Awww such a lovely journal, can't wait to see what ideas you have. Do you have a Pintrest board? There's loads of wedding stuff on there.

Ahh girls you are too kind :) I am sooo excited about the harpist although we haven't booked her yet. We need to meet with the venue again to ensure we're ok to go ahead and start booking everything now but just waiting to hear back from them on when we can go up to start discussing our specific needs.

Haha Rose, must be the newish mummy hormones making you well up :haha: yeah I do have a Pinterest board, admittedly I don't use it as much as I should although I do love it! I have found soo many ideas from there. Will try and find you on there!

We went to a vintage wedding fair today at Malmaison in Birmingham and it was so lovely, got so many nice ideas for favours, the cake and the flowers. The reason we went there though was to see the wedding singer we are in the process of booking and oh my god am I glad we went, he is just everything I thought he'd be!

I came across him months ago and decided immediately that I wanted to fit the wedding around him. He's a vintage singer, singing music from the 20s to the 40s and he is so authentic. The plan at the moment is that he'll sing during the wedding breakfast but I really would love him to sing our first dance, so may have to rework that. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYMnV6XJLLI

I've also asked him whether it would be possible to learn Anniversary Waltz which was my beloved gran and grandad's wedding song, also played at my gran's funeral and so very very sentimental to me, and he may well be able to. :)

Saw some amazing cakes, I knew I wanted something simple and luckily Nick agreed on a piped lace style cake like this (but minus the bow and just in ivory, with real flowers):

https://redcakecompany.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/blue_brush_embroidery_cake_the_red_cake_company_c2a3350_serves_100-e1365873357640.jpg?w=370&h=

Our cake is provided by the venue and they work with several bakers so it's really just a case of choosing what we want and asking them to replicate it, fingers crossed this style is doable, I've seen some god awful attempts on google images :wacko:

Like the cake and LOVE the singer! I would have loved someone like that. Such a nice idea for him to sing your granddad's wedding song, too.

That cake is gorgeous, that is something that I want really simple and elegant but in black and white.

Like the cake and LOVE the singer! I would have loved someone like that. Such a nice idea for him to sing your granddad's wedding song, too.

I'm so happy, my gran was a huge part of my life so I'm trying to incorporate tributes to her wherever I can. My mum is going to give me some of the money she left to put towards my dress, as she says my gran would have so loved to do it (sob) :cloud9:

Also planning on hiding paper hearts in my bouquet with all of my grandparents' names on them (they have all passed away).

Are you having any music?

That cake is gorgeous, that is something that I want really simple and elegant but in black and white.

Danielle google piped lace cakes, a lot of black and white ones come up and they are a good mix of modern/traditional and intricate/simple! :)

I'm so happy, my gran was a huge part of my life so I'm trying to incorporate tributes to her wherever I can. My mum is going to give me some of the money she left to put towards my dress, as she says my gran would have so loved to do it (sob) :cloud9:

Also planning on hiding paper hearts in my bouquet with all of my grandparents' names on them (they have all passed away).

Are you having any music?

Danielle google piped lace cakes, a lot of black and white ones come up and they are a good mix of modern/traditional and intricate/simple! :)

That really is lovely, it's so nice that you're honouring them in that way. I haven't even thought about doing that for similar people with mine, can't think of anything that really seems appropriate. Is that song (your grandparents') gonna be your first dance song?

We're not having a band or anything cos of costs, we're just having a record player and hundreds of vinyls and having guests choose their own music. Dancing isn't gonna be a massive part unless guests make it one; me and OH aren't really dancing people! We're having a cinema as our main evening thing. Definitely gonna have to put some Motown on for Rory to dance to though or he'll be very disappointed!

That really is lovely, it's so nice that you're honouring them in that way. I haven't even thought about doing that for similar people with mine, can't think of anything that really seems appropriate. Is that song (your grandparents') gonna be your first dance song?

We're not having a band or anything cos of costs, we're just having a record player and hundreds of vinyls and having guests choose their own music. Dancing isn't gonna be a massive part unless guests make it one; me and OH aren't really dancing people! We're having a cinema as our main evening thing. Definitely gonna have to put some Motown on for Rory to dance to though or he'll be very disappointed!

Initially I saw a picture of a ceremony where empty chairs had been left at the front for relatives who had passed on, covered in flowers, and I thought it was such a lovely idea but we don't have room. If you have the room though and there was someone missing you wanted to honour like that then you could do it though! I really want to get both sets of my grandparents and Nick's grandparents wedding photos and put them in frames by the cake, although not sure how easy it will be to source them!

Ahh that sounds good! Bless Rory :haha: I'm not a dancer either, already dreading the first dance. I don't know what song we'll have yet, we can't decide on one! Are you going to have a first dance?!

Not even thought about whether we will or not yet. It's not something I'm gonna stress about! May leave it til the day and see if we end up getting persuaded to. I didn't really know my grandparents so I don't think I'm gonna do anything in particular; is that terrible?! I don't even know if they have wedding photos either. I think it'd be nice to honour my brother but I will leave that up to my dad as to what he feels is appropriate.

Not even thought about whether we will or not yet. It's not something I'm gonna stress about! May leave it til the day and see if we end up getting persuaded to. I didn't really know my grandparents so I don't think I'm gonna do anything in particular; is that terrible?! I don't even know if they have wedding photos either. I think it'd be nice to honour my brother but I will leave that up to my dad as to what he feels is appropriate.

Of course it's not terrible! Both of my grandads died before I was born so I never got the chance to meet them, so I know what it's like to feel that kind of disconnection. Ahh I'm sorry about your brother, it is definitely good to see what your dad would like to do though :hugs:

Oh there's going to be dancing Emma! I'm so excited :wohoo: I can't believe they'll be almost 4... that's crazy. It seems so far away but you have so much going on that I think it'll fly by.

Ahhh that cake is amazing, you have such beautiful taste. I'm sure the singer is fantastic too, I shall have to watch that video in the morning as I'm sure a sleeping Phil wouldn't be too pleased if I played it right now :lol:

Did you have any more ideas of wedding dresses? I know you showed us a few a while back, are you still looking at those styles? xx

Hahaha you should have woken Phil up with a bit of Cheek to Cheek, he'd have loved you for that I'm sure :haha:

I really am trying to keep an open mind for my wedding dress but I'm 99% sure I want a sheath style but unless I lose the weight I put on after my holiday last year it would definitely look disastrous. And I definitely don't want white, I really want a kind of creamy champagne colour.

My favourite dresses are both by Jenny Packham which are a few thousand out of my price range but a girl can dream ;)

Mimosa, front:
https://bridalmusings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/jenny-packham-mimosa.jpg
Mimosa, back:
https://theweddingcommunityblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Mimosa-Back-Jenny-Packham-Spring-Summer-2013-Collection.jpg

Esme:
https://www.highsocietybridal.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/esme.jpg

I need to lose some weight but I really don't know how much yet. I got down to my lowest weight in years last year and to a small size 10 but I totally lost all of my boobs and I was so unhappy, but now I'm back up to a large size 12/maybe size 14 and really unhappy with my size but have my boobs back. I don't know how to strike a balance! I should add I am most comfortable at a size 12 usually but all my weight is so unevenly distributed and goes straight on my belly, hips and thighs, so at the moment I just look totally out of proportion and a fitted dress would look really unflattering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->