breast pumping?

Anyway, back to ryder's question before she gets back on here and sees what her thread has turned into.....

Has anyone exclusively pumped after the first few days when milk comes in?

I was so thinking this lol....

Ryders going to come back and be like WTF?!?! :)

But I would indeed like to know the answer to the original question too!!

oo why did she have to do that? Was her baby premature or something? If I had to do that I'd switch to formula I think :( I don't think I could solely express. I don't mind expressing for 1 or 2 feeds a day, but not all of them.

Baby was jaundice quite badly... as i think because my friend was rh neg and had to have all those injections... baby still had crossed over blood types!!
She wasnt very well and baby just wasnt latching on to the breast! I think baby went over 12 hours without eating!! So they swapped to SMA and she was writing down how much her baby had to drink!!! Personally I would have prob have been abit more persistant in the expressing but she said it really hurt!! One thing Im not looking forward to :(

Oh, that can't be really common though so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I bet you'll do fine feeding and expressing :D

yeh i did mention i was thinking about it but then i kind of just decided on bottle i will have to think about this furthur now! Thanx

Anyway, back to ryder's question before she gets back on here and sees what her thread has turned into.....

Obviously no for me, but if she is going to exclusively express milk then maybe she could get double electric pumps. I hear manuals are a bit of a nightmare and take ages and ages to get milk out. Probably not that great an idea when you have all the other things to do that comes with having a brand new baby.

I found feeding painful and pumping painless, used an electric pump x

Obviously no for me, but if she is going to exclusively express milk then maybe she could get double electric pumps. I hear manuals are a bit of a nightmare and take ages and ages to get milk out. Probably not that great an idea when you have all the other things to do that comes with having a brand new baby.

This is slightly sideways to the point but might be of interest: my sister recently told me that the easiest way to express is on the other side whilst you are feeding - this might be particularly relevant to you Leeds if you plan to do lots of expressing. I'm not sure if her pump is manual or electric, though I suspect manual - she says it's tricky to get the hang of both at first though! lol

I was so thinking this lol....

Ryders going to come back and be like WTF?!?! :)

But I would indeed like to know the answer to the original question too!!

LMAO!!! Don't worry.... I half expected it, there are some people on this BB who have some pretty strong opinions either way on the subject... which is totally fine.

However, the kind of post blah made originally is NOT the kind of response I wanted. There is no need to come on here and start up crap calling people who decide to feed formula selfish.

That may very well be her opinion, but that isn't what this is about.

It is about pumping... I will not be breastfeeding as it simply is not for me. I will try pumping, if it doesn't work I will feed formula and even if pumping does work, I will likely supplement with formula.

Back a long time ago when there were no vaccines for babies, breastfeeding DID provide good anti-bodies etc that are not found in formula. But times are changing and babies have quite a number of vaccines which provide them against alot of the illnesses anyways, plus the baby gets some of the anti-bodies from the mother in utero.

Good quality formulas now have many of the same nutrients, vitamins etc that breastmilk does.

Like nikky, I have worked before in a foster home with newborns and children, and I can tell you that all of these newborns were VERY happy and healthy on formula. And you still had s special bond with each and every of the babies, even though they were not yours.

I hate reading others say formula or bottle feeding is selfish, there are many different reasons for that choice, and some people who are anti-bottle feeding take things WAY TOO FAR imo... Women who have trouble breastfeeding or need to change to formula for whatever reason are often made to feel guilty IMO and that should not be happening.

Thank you girls for your opinions... I really would like to hear from some people who have experience pumping. Some people are successful at it, and some arn't, I do know this.

lol I'm not antibottle feeding. I'm anti-motherswhodon'ttryit.

Breastfeeding helps baby not get ear infections and gastric problems as well, not just the big diseases.

Breastfeeding helps baby not get ear infections and gastric problems as well, not just the big diseases.

I work in a hospital, im not a complete idiot.

Breastfeeding may help those things, but it is only on a very small scale. The way people word things like that makes it sound like breastfeeding is some kind of miracle vaccine and that their children wont get sick ever.

Ears infections happen, so do throat infections, eye infections, colds, coughs, laryngitis, stomach bugs, chicken pox etc... They happen whether you are breastfed or not, and all of these small illnesses help you build up anti-bodies against larger scale illnesses and infections.

No one likes their babies to get sick, it isn't nice to think about it, but it is reality that it will happen, no matter what. Children get sick.

The only thing that would make a baby susceptible to illness that way was if it was badly malnourished, and feeding formula is by no means malnourishing your baby.

i havent started pumping yet but i love BF and it doesnt hurt x

I work in a hospital, im not a complete idiot.

Breastfeeding may help those things, but it is only on a very small scale. The way people word things like that makes it sound like breastfeeding is some kind of miracle vaccine and that their children wont get sick ever.

Ears infections happen, so do throat infections, eye infections, colds, coughs, laryngitis, stomach bugs, chicken pox etc... They happen whether you are breastfed or not, and all of these small illnesses help you build up anti-bodies against larger scale illnesses and infections.

No one likes their babies to get sick, it isn't nice to think about it, but it is reality that it will happen, no matter what. Children get sick.

The only thing that would make a baby susceptible to illness that way was if it was badly malnourished, and feeding formula is by no means malnourishing your baby.

Very well put!!!

Does anyone know how soon you can start pumping? I need to start doing that as quickly as possible so I can start expressing for 2-3 feeds a day

they advise you to not do it for the first few weeks however in my opinion its down to the mother!!! And my friend did it the day her baby was born so it can be done :)

I don't find pumping uncomfortable at all (or breastfeeding, although my nipples were really bad at first!) and have never had any problems with it (just with a manual pump too), although I don't do it that often. You're advised not to start too early because your breasts need cues from your baby sucking (even when they're not getting much out) to tell them how much milk to produce, and before your milk comes in (and when you're still getting used to the pump) you probably won't get very much - at first Sam used to feed for hours all through the day! x

Well,I don't know about Ryder but I also definitely won't be breastfeeding because it is for me uncomfortable,I don't like the thought of it or the concept of it....it's just not something I want to do.
I will bottle feed.

So,there....it's probably not my place to answer this since you asked her the question and probably don't care about my answer...but there.:shrug:

I don't understand why when it is completely natural.

idk i still think its selfish when people don't even try to breastfeed.

I agree, but I try not to judge them. It's hard when people have wrong ideas about breast-feeding.

I agree that being bottle fed is not a bad thing they make the formulas just a good these days and my daughter is perfectly healthy. I have found what blah has said to be very wrong and im intending to bottle feed this time too. You are not a mother yet either so u cant critise others ie people like me who are!

excuse me? what has me 'not being a mother yet' to go to do with anything?
+ Nothing is as good as breastmilk. It's silly to try and say otherwise b/c even a monkey would know it's not.

I agree formula is no where near as good as breast milk, that's why it's called a substitute. And yes I've pumped and used formula. I've been on both sides.

my friend who only managed to breastfed her babies first feed continued with formula because she could monitor how much her baby was feeding!! She had to write it down!!

Thats something I like the idea of as well!! With a breast you dont know how much baby is drinking!!

I think you have a pretty good idea when your baby is satisfied in regards to breastfeeding. Also, you can see the milk gather in their chin and then they swallow. Besides, if it's not gaining weight then you know baby isn't getting enough.

True a baby will stop when they are full...

I pumped for the first couple of months, do you have any questions? :)

I love electric pumps, I always got a great supply but manuals....eeekkk :hissy:

I always said if people are confident in their decision to breast-feed or formula feed, then don't justify. It is a personal choice and just because someone else may not agree with it, just smile nod and move on. We all have our opinions and to us they are right. I'm keen on breast-feeding, I know I'll give it everything I have. If I use formula it doesn't make me or you any the less of the mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->