breast pumping?

For those of you who have breast fed and pumped milk... which did you find more painful? Honestly.

I really do not wish to breastfeed, but I think pumping will be the way I go, so that the baby at least has breastmilk, for the first few months anyways, I will likely use formula too.

I heard that going between formula and breast milk isn't too good for baby's digestive system. anyone else been told this?

Well Carley, for some people breastfeeding is not natural feeling, no one here has the wrong idea about breastfeeding either, for some people the thought of a living thing sucking off them is disturbing... And I know for one I will not force myself to do something im not comfortable doing just because some people thing im selfish.

We are all big girls and can make our own decisions, for me, and others, it is a comfort thing.

For those of you who have breast fed and pumped milk... which did you find more painful? Honestly.

I really do not wish to breastfeed, but I think pumping will be the way I go, so that the baby at least has breastmilk, for the first few months anyways, I will likely use formula too.

I heard that going between formula and breast milk isn't too good for baby's digestive system. anyone else been told this?

That is not true. However, when you introduce formula after exclusively breastfeeding, you should introduce it gradually as it is something new.

Many of the formulas now are very highly developed and are created to be easily digested.

I found it made my daughter always constipated :(

That is not true. However, when you introduce formula after exclusively breastfeeding, you should introduce it gradually as it is something new.

Many of the formulas now are very highly developed and are created to be easily digested.

I think it depends on the baby, when we were weaning because my supply was fading, we did a bottle of formula a day for a week then two a day and it still made her constipated, that's why I believe it depends on the baby.

Did you split the bottle up and give small amounts throughout the day? Intermittedly with the breast milk? Ideally you should be splitting it into small amounts either with breastmilk or in bettween breast milk feedings, because yes, your putting something new into the babys system. It isnt the formula itself that causes issues, its just the change.

However, I think your formulas may be different where you are.

Did you split the bottle up and give small amounts throughout the day? Intermittedly with the breast milk? Ideally you should be splitting it into small amounts either with breastmilk or in bettween breast milk feedings, because yes, your putting something new into the babys system. It isnt the formula itself that causes issues, its just the change.

However, I think your formulas may be different where you are.

We have different formula's I believe. We did split it over the day. I know it worked for my friend which is great but not for us :) That's why for me I'll pump or breast-feed. :)

I have read that going between the two isnt always as succesful!! The two have different tastes... and you may find that the baby may favour one over the other!!

Just be warned if you want to supplement breastfeeding with formula..

You may find it extremely difficult to breastfeed at all once you've introduced formula from a bottle. Not only does your baby find it easier and quicker to get milk from a bottle (they don't need to suck anywhere near as much/hard so they much prefer it) but your breasts don't get the signal that baby is feeding so you need to produce more milk.

Just be warned if you want to supplement breastfeeding with formula..

You may find it extremely difficult to breastfeed at all once you've introduced formula from a bottle. Not only does your baby find it easier and quicker to get milk from a bottle (they don't need to suck anywhere near as much/hard so they much prefer it) but your breasts don't get the signal that baby is feeding so you need to produce more milk.

I read that if you do plan on breastfeeding (in whole or in part) then you shouldn't introduce bottle feeding at all for a while, I think it was maybe 6 weeks? You also shouldn't give them a dummy during that time. Presumably because of the sucking thing Blah says above.

Well,I don't know about Ryder but I also definitely won't be breastfeeding because it is for me uncomfortable,I don't like the thought of it or the concept of it....it's just not something I want to do.
I will bottle feed.

So,there....it's probably not my place to answer this since you asked her the question and probably don't care about my answer...but there.:shrug:

I don't understand why when it is completely natural.

To you maybe and to some women.To me it's very far from being natural...:shrug:

Well,I don't know about Ryder but I also definitely won't be breastfeeding because it is for me uncomfortable,I don't like the thought of it or the concept of it....it's just not something I want to do.
I will bottle feed.

So,there....it's probably not my place to answer this since you asked her the question and probably don't care about my answer...but there.:shrug:

I don't understand why when it is completely natural.

To you maybe and to some women.To me it's very far from being natural...:shrug:

Why do you think women have breasts? :huh:

*EDIT*

Would you not even try letting your newborn get the first lot of colostrum your breasts produce? It's the best thing they can get in them when they come out. Filling their systems with a cows milk-based formula is not the best start for a newborn.

I am done and finished explaining myself or justifying my choices.

:)

Yep... me too... And quite frankly, it no ones damn business what choice we make, so never let yourself feel bad about it.

:hugs:

Yep... me too... And quite frankly, it no ones damn business what choice we make, so never let yourself feel bad about it.

This is a discussion forum. People WILL ask questions long after you've finished "justifying" yourselves and if you don't want it to be anyone's business, don't bring it up!:winkwink:

If you can't breastfeed for whatever reason, then so be it, but I think other mums and mums-to-be find it hard to understand why someone just wouldn't want to give their baby the best start in life. And it's not just for baby, it's beneficial for the mother too.

I read that if you do plan on breastfeeding (in whole or in part) then you shouldn't introduce bottle feeding at all for a while, I think it was maybe 6 weeks? You also shouldn't give them a dummy during that time. Presumably because of the sucking thing Blah says above.

I was advised to try Sam on a bottle every few days from 4 weeks (I had to be away from him for a day when he was just over 2 months old) - by then breastfeeding has been established so you shouldn't need to worry about nipple confusion, but after 6 weeks they are more likely to refuse a bottle x

This is a discussion forum. People WILL ask questions long after you've finished "justifying" yourselves and if you don't want it to be anyone's business, don't bring it up!:winkwink:

If you can't breastfeed for whatever reason, then so be it, but I think other mums and mums-to-be find it hard to understand why someone just wouldn't want to give their baby the best start in life. And it's not just for baby, it's beneficial for the mother too.

*EDIT*

Just a thought: Maybe breastfeeding isn't as widely encouraged over there as it is over here?

Neecee, this thread was not made to get into a discussion about formula and breastfeeding... If you actually go and read the initial post, it was asking who has pumped and their experiences. Someone else took the liberty of making a rude comment about people not wanting to breastfeed.

If I wanted to have a big debate, I would have made a thread about whether people favoured breastfeeding or formula feeding.

Ive found pumping is quite easy, although obvs feeding is a lot easier.

I always wanted to breastfeed, and I said that if i couldn't I would express milk. I would still stick to that now if for whatever reason breastfeeding stopped working for us. Although Im not sure how your supply would adjust from just pumping alone?

But I don't think it's nuncomfortable, painful, unpleasent... its indifferent.

Give it a try, no harm in that. It will be different for everyone. I know someone who said it really hurt her to express so who knows.

Good luck with whatever you decide :) Theres a lot of great support for breastfeeding mothers so grab it with both hands if you struggle :)

xxx

Neecee, this thread was not made to get into a discussion about formula and breastfeeding... If you actually go and read the initial post, it was asking who has pumped and their experiences

I've read through the entire thread, thanks, and I made no reference to it being a discussion about breastfeeding or pumping preferences. I was simply stating that it's an open forum and if people don't like their business being discussed, they have complete control over what they type or don't type.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->