Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

Maggs, I have done variations of CIO - the controlled crying version with time limits set, and it worked. I think it really depends on where your baby is at, though. I didn't do any with Tobe until he was over one because he was so easy to knock out with BFing, then I just put the whole nursing pillow into the crib (I still use that trick).
I did it a bit earlier with Simon, but he was a pretty champion sleeper and didn't co-sleep with us.
I would try it for five minutes and see how it goes. It might surprise you. And if it's awful, don't worry about it for awhile. Have you tried using a nursing pillow, then just transferring him on that?

Joss I think it's just 600 hours :) I didn't have to worry about minimum hours to qualify for sick leave; just had to be signed off. Surprisingly the government has been lovely to deal with, it's the insurance companies that are sending me like 20 page packages ..

Maggs- purely due to timing, I stopped swaddling at 3ish months, it was June and a hot summer that year. Around 6 months we tried controlled crying.. which I personally found pretty effective... same method my friend's post partum doula taught her

Sarah...do you mean one of those boppy pillows? I have one of those but never thought of lying him on a pillow then putting him in the bed. Usually anytime I put him down anywhere, he's awake again! I'm going to try again this week once we're both on the mend. It just seems when I do, we just both end up upset and it's a horrible experience for both of us.

Oh...did you see the first episode of Game of Thrones? What did you think? I had it taped from last night and watched it in bits and pieces while Jack nursed. I think it will be like the first series, after a couple of episodes, it will come together a bit more. But there was a couple of scenes that I had no idea who some of the people were! I wish I'd kept the first series taped on my sky+ box. I only just started the book. About 30 pages in or so. It reads a bit like Lord of the Rings in the sense that I sometimes need to stop and re-read passages and look at the family charts in the back of the book haha

Maggs - totally try the Boppy pillow! I nurse Tobe to sleep on that, then gently transfer him, pillow and all, into his crib. It works like a charm! It kind of holds them in a cuddled position and barely disturbs them at all when you shift them to the bed. :thumbup:

And no, no Game of Thrones Season 2 yet. We are planning to watch the last season of Walking Dead first, then jump into GoT. The books will sort you out, but I agree - this is the American Tolkien in terms of scope of story: huge epic with multiple storylines. How the hell does George RR Martin keep them all straight? :)

I saw an interview with him the other day and apparently he's been called the American Tolkien and he was very flattered! Hurry up and start watching then so I have someone else to talk to about it!!

Tasha--I have considered controlled crying, it's somewhat gentler than just leaving them to cry. Did you do bedtime first then tackle naps or do it all in one go?

We went for naps & bedtime in one go. Bedtime was easier if she napped, found naps harder because I had no back-up at that time of day and it was harder to get her to sleep with the daylight

I also did controlled crying at 6 months. Worked amazing. Surprisingly way easier at bedtime than naps.

Maggs I might get HBO so I can watch GoT. Interested to see Brienne of Tarth and who plays Stannis.

As for sleep we were blessed. Anna goes down fairly well and sleeps really well too. I just know my next kid probably won't be as good :(

LOVEEEEEEE GoT!!!!

We loved the first season. I really hope its like you said and it comes together soon, as I found the season opener rather blah. I know they have to do character work/foundations but as people who've read the whole series (even though its not finished yet) it was pretty dull.

I thought the cull of all of Robert Baratheon's kiddos was well done. Love how they showed Gendry at the end of it though!

hmm thanks tasha! I didn't know if you needed 600 hours for sickleave, plus an additional new 600 hours for matleave???

GoT fan here to. I've not read the books though hubby has so he filled me in on a few things. I found the episode interesting but probably because I've not read them so the catch up was good for me :lol:

Maggs - I am in the same boat, except Pudge is a month older, and it has honestly become so bad and hard to get him to sleep. Tomorrow I am going to have to sleep train him because it is ruining mine and Helena's lives. Our whole day revolves around trying to get him to nap. :(

Ooool...GoT Canadian fans! haha Well I was confused a bit on a couple of the characters. I had to go back and read a synopsis about the very end scene and who the lady was doing the big fire celebration on the beach. I found the first season was very much like that though...after an episode or two, things started coming together. We have it on Sky Atlantic here and I end up recording it to watch the next day as DH is not a GoT fan.

Well what another miserable fecking night. I know, it seems all I do is moan. Been nauseous the last couple of days, dizzy, lightheaded, feverish on Monday. Went to bed last night and slept for a couple of hrs then woke about every 30-45 mins with the most horrendous nausea and stomach pains. Been awake since about 3am. Just trying to fight not to throw up. Had to come downstairs at 4:30am to get DH to come upstairs (he fell asleep on the couch) as I knew Jack would be waking soon and I couldn't even get off the bathroom floor to tend to him. Poor Hubby!! He's got a tooth abscess too and had to go to work today but he came upstairs, changed Jack's diaper, then brought him through as I tried to feed him. As soon as I was done, he had another massive diarrhea and I had to go wake up DH again to change him as I figured the smell would have me running for the toilet. I called the 24 medical line last night and they said it could be either related from the Roseola, a completely separate bug, or teething. But now that I'm sick, I'd say it's a bug. They suggested I could take a poop sample down to the drs office later today for Jack. I'm holding off on giving him too much food as it's all going right through him. I feel no better, stomach is just gurgling and in so much pain. My body wants to either vomit or have diarrhea and there's nothing there as I haven't had anything to eat in over 12 hrs now because of the nausea. Never going to end!!

maggs- im not sure if they recommend the BRAT diet over there... but if he is having diarheah you should stick to bananas, applesauce, blueberries, rice & toast... And gnerally you will stick to that diet until a day or two once the diahreah is gone so he can build up healthy flora in his gut again.

maggs- im not sure if they recommend the BRAT diet over there... but if he is having diarheah you should stick to bananas, applesauce, blueberries, rice & toast... And gnerally you will stick to that diet until a day or two once the diahreah is gone so he can build up healthy flora in his gut again.

I tried that unfortunately and it hasn't worked. When I spoke to the nurse last night at NHS24 they said that applies for adults but they don't really give that advice to babies. I do find he has diarrhea less when he's just on plain rice cereal and apple & banana puree but he still has it. I'll have to phone down to the drs I think I get a sample sent into them. Unfortunately they said I probably won't get the results until next week anyway and no doubt we'll both be better by then! We just tried a nap, Jack slept for 20 mins then screamed hysterically for 30 mins. Gave him some tylenol and tried to nurse him. Had to end up taking him to the bathroom as I needed to go and he wouldn't let me leave him. Wish I had my family here on days like this. :(

The BRAT diet is HIGHLY recommended here for any type of diahreah.

A gastric bug can last up to 14 days with diahreah... Thats normal. The BRAT diet isn't going to cure the diahreah, but the items on it are things that won't make it worse where as certain foods could prolonge the diahreah and keep stripping the stomach of any good bacteria. Your NHS nurse was wrong and that info is likely outdated if they are telling you you shouldn't adhere to it for a young child/baby.... If he is on solids he should be following the BRAT diet while sick.

If he consistently has diahreah, like beyond being sick he may have allergies or something.

6 months seems pretty young for the BRAT diet unless he's already well established on solids, but I don't really know :shrug:

Yeah, I don't know that I'd do the BRAT with a 6 month old if weaning hadn't been established yet either. :hugs:

GoT

Yeah, they did a good job on Mellisandre (lady in red). Same with Stannis as well, tho I was never a fan of his in the books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->