• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just so I'm clear on this - circumcision, breast vs bottle feeding, vaccinations, ear piercing... AOB mentioned a top 5 of most heated threads - I've missed one!

And I'm not sure about ear piercing - thought that one had gone quite well......

Weaning :thumbup:

xxx

wow! will have to keep an eye out for that one....:haha:

Isnt benefits one of them too?? hm and smoking / alcohol during pregnancy should be in there too

i think we do live in a culture of tradition through families and this implies to what part of the world you live and how modern you are, if everyone around you is doing what your fathers father did and has been family tradition for yrs and you throw a big family party etc then of course i understand that. as i'm aware its reducing in canada and you have to pay private as times are starting to change.

i want rhys christened because its our family tradition and we're christians who enjoy church and had circumcision been part of our faith then who knows i might have thought of having rhys cut. but because its never been in my life it wouldnt come into my head and because its not my norm it does make me whince the thought.

in one religion they throw toddler boys off high buildings into a blanket to make them a man or put it in a pen with a devenomed cobra and let it peck the baby on the head to make the baby fearless in later life now thats more shocking to me. but they find it completely normal think nothing of it cos its whats always been done in their culture

Ok, just so I'm clear on this - circumcision, breast vs bottle feeding, vaccinations, ear piercing... AOB mentioned a top 5 of most heated threads - I've missed one!

And I'm not sure about ear piercing - thought that one had gone quite well......

Weaning :thumbup:

xxx

wow! will have to keep an eye out for that one....:haha:

Isnt benefits one of them too?? hm and smoking / alcohol during pregnancy should be in there too

we do like a good ol row it seems!

Well a room full of pregnant hormonal women with different viewpoints is never going to end in a polite discussion!!!!

Oh My...I rarely think about this, but it scares me a little. My hubby is adamant that he wants it done, if we have a boy, but the whole thing kind of breaks my heart a little.

You need to sit down and talk to him hun and ask him why it is so important to him etc
xx

Well a room full of pregnant hormonal women with different viewpoints is never going to end in a polite discussion!!!!

Very true, this conversation seemed to go to shit when I logged off & left you all playing nicely!!

*runs for cover*

:rofl:

I don't think removing a part of the body that is there for a reason can be compared to cutting hair or nails. I do not feel that using the nature argument is trite or unfounded, I think it's a valid reason for the facts as previously stated by another poster (apologies - I have forgotten which lady it was who posted the reasons why the foreskin was there in the first place). Removing a baby's foreskin is not the same as cutting a baby's hair or nails, the two just can't be compared - cutting hair and nails is not permanent and causes no pain! I would never judge another mother's decision to circumcise her son, we all want to do the best for our children and have differing opinions, and that's great. xxx

I think many circumstised men still get sti's, how ridiculous thinking that cutting off foreskin, will make them immune. Otherwise countres like Africa would be using this to battle against aids.

If it was of true healthcare advantages, it would be made compulsory.

if there is no medical reason for it why have it done???? coz its cleaner???? for who???

my son was born with hypospasia and we insisted he kept his forskin unless it was medically needed to be removed, and if he wanted it done later when he can choose for himself then great!
Its not ur penis or forskin to get rid of.......if ur circumsing ur sons why not ur girls!! sorry but i thin it shud only be practiced for medical reasons only.

I think there was a study in Africa in relation to circumcision and the rate of HIV infection in African males - I will have a look for a link.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6176209.stm

In my opinion a study such as this is dangerous as it could be misinterpreted as if to say circumcision alone is a good enough defense against HIV, which is obviously not true. The only defense against HIV is abstinence or a condom (even a condom does not protect 100%). The argument that circumcision protects against STI's does not sway my decision not to circumcise as my child will be brought up to know the importance of practicing safe sex and using a condom. xxx

I'm going to opt for the "educating my child about unprotected sex" option rather than circumcision!
I don't see anything wrong with it really, its all down to the parents really and their beliefs but from a personal point of view, I couldn't cut my child for the hiv or sti argument, I may be being naive but I'm hoping my child will be clued up enough to not rely on his circumcision as a reason to have unprotected sex!

ANYONE.. havin unprotected sex will catch STI .....bein cut has no prefernce to who catches deseases!! the STI doesnt stop and have a gud luck at the penis and say
'oh no best not go there..the forskins been removed im gonna freeze to death'!!!.......................OR
'wayhay the forskin still ere nice one lets get comfy lads and give this bloke an STI'

that theory is daft!!

From my understanding the reason they believe circumcision cuts down on HIV and other STD's is b/c the uncircumcised area is like a "mucus membrane" and receptive to disease unlike a circumcised one where there is no longer such a membrane.

I am getting my child circumscised anyway, if its a boy, but its b/c its a religious thing.

In answer to the OP I wouldn't ever do this, as I said on the ear piercing thread these are decisions made for aesthetic purposes and I believe they should be left for the child to decide as and when they are old enough to understand the implications of such a decision.

If it was for religious purposes then I can kind of understand but just because you think it looks nicer isnt a good enough reason IMO.

P.S. Im not being nasty towards you or anyone who has decided to circumcise, thats your decision, Im just explaining my point of view :) xx

I don’t think you sound nasty at all and
wow this thread went on a lot when I left xxx

I think many circumstised men still get sti's, how ridiculous thinking that cutting off foreskin, will make them immune. Otherwise countres like Africa would be using this to battle against aids.

If it was of true healthcare advantages, it would be made compulsory.

Hi,

Although the possible benifits of circumcision to reduce (not completely stop) the spread of STI's has not been completely conclusive...I would like to point out that it is being in used on men in Africa in an attempt to reduce the spread of AIDS (I have read many health articles on this recently) and from what I understand there does seem to be some reduction in the spread through circumcision.

Just throwing that out there.... I got my information specifically through the "health" news section on my phone which has all the different current articles relating to health posted on it. :)

However I believe one of the articles did state that they were not finding the same highly promising results in the U.S.....however Im not sure if any actual studies in the U.S. have been done yet.

If I have a Boy this time Round he will Not be cut Its 200 bucks that i dont see a reason to spend. Its just my personal opinion. My OH isnt Cut and we have talked about it and both of us dont see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->