Do presents come from you or santa?

Everything comes from Santa, but we label the presents off mummy and daddy etc so as he gets older he will realise himself xx

Everything from Santa. I think next year we may keep 2 each back and put under the tree, one from mummy and daddy and one for them to give to eachother.

Stocking & main present from Santa

The rest are labelled up as to who brought them, DS then knows who to thank for his stuff

He's very switched on and insisted on buying his baby brother a present himself from his pocket money, he also picks presents for grandparents and OH & I

This is how it was done when I was young as well

Those who do it all from Santa/Father Christmas - do your kids ever question why other family members buy them presents, but you don't?

When I was a child I asked my mother this and she pointed out that she and my dad bought our Christmas clothes and new pajamas for Christmas Eve, so those were our presents from them. So now that Christmas Eve boxes are a thing, I'm making that be S's present from us. It will have bath stuff, a book, teddy, board game, Christmas movie with snacks and Santa's plate and cup in it.

As for him knowing that all his Santa gifts are the result of a lot of thought and work on our part well he won't know that now but in time he obviously will figure that out and I think that it means more in hindsight. There is nothing more generous than giving a gift and expecting no thanks or credit for it. It's pretty selfless and when I think of all the effort my parents used to go to despite "someone else" getting all credit. I'm overawed by the amazing spirit of ingenuity and generosity they showed, putting our joy and amazement ahead of their own desire for thanks. I just hope I can do the same for my son though as my parents were much poorer than I am, I know their gifts required more from them, than mine for my son do from me.

Thanks. We don't do Christmas eve boxes. I don't mean so much credit for the money spent or wanting him to thank us, I suppose I want him to know that we have thought about him and what to get him because we love and want him to be happy, that the 'feeling' behind it comes from us (I am not for a second suggesting that those who do all gifts from FC don't want their child to feel loved or happy). I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I would hope no one would think I was being selfish for wanting him to know I chose his presents myself.

Just the presents in the stocking come from Santa and ds is aware of this when writing his list so not to put anything too big as it won't fit! Santa delivers everything else too but the presents are from whoever it is that sent it.

We don't do Christmas eve boxes either, new pajamas though have always been a thing, they're in the run up to Christmas the same as Christmas jumpers in our family.

Maybe the best compromise for us would be what you do vaniilla. FC delivers the presents, but we chose them as well as pay for them.

This year we're doing 6 each from Santa for the boys, and the rest from us and family.

In our house growing up everything was from Santa and in DH's house everything was from family so as a mesh of the two we do stocking from Santa and 1 present. Although this year santa will leave a little sack of 3 presents because it is the first year LO can ask for things and his list never changes whenever he sees a Santa it is always 'Red nose airplane, blue car and red train' so he is getting those from Santa and the rest from us.

2-3 gifts and stocking from Santa and remaining gifts from mummy and daddy (and we label 1 each from the other sibling)

When my older ones were little it was all from Santa, the same as it was for DH and I as children. When DS1 was 4 he came home from school saying "you buy us presents as well, don't you?" so I obviously said "yes, of course" and just added "from mummy and daddy" to a few labels. Since then I've always had a different paper from us than the ones Santa and the elves use and done a couple from us. There aren't many from us, as we can't really afford a lot of gifts, especially with 4 of them, so they tend to have around 3-4 from us, the same as their birthdays, and Santa brings the rest because he is magic ;)

Family presents are obviously from family too.
We don't do Christmas Eve boxes but have always had new PJs

No idea yet tbh. I think all from santa but mummy helps pay for some.

I give a couple from me to each of my LO's but most of them come from Santa on Christmas morning in their stockings xx

Completely agree with this ^

Someone posted that on a group I'm on on Facebook and in the end we all agreed that while it seems like a good point, none of us remember ever discussing I got this and that from santa and this from my parents as children, nor have our children ever mentioned talking about who received what from who. They might mention they got something but they haven't ever said "from santa" so it doesn't really make that much difference in a childs world its we adults over thinking the situation. We pretty much came to the conclusion that everyone should just do what makes them happy and not worry about what others do lol

I can't remember EVER comparing who got what, and who got more expensive gifts than me as a child. we didn't have a lot of money for a good amount of years of my childhood while my mom was trying to finish her degree as a single parent before eventually remarrying, so there were plenty of Christmases that we didn't get a ton of stuff, and the gifts were not expensive. It never mattered to us. We thought the whole thing was magical, and any present was awesome. I think the whole idea of comparing gifts is something adults think of, not small children. Or older kids who no likely no longer believe in Santa, and already know the gifts are from the parents.

I can't remember EVER comparing who got what, and who got more expensive gifts than me as a child. we didn't have a lot of money for a good amount of years of my childhood while my mom was trying to finish her degree as a single parent before eventually remarrying, so there were plenty of Christmases that we didn't get a ton of stuff, and the gifts were not expensive. It never mattered to us. We thought the whole thing was magical, and any present was awesome. I think the whole idea of comparing gifts is something adults think of, not small children. Or older kids who no likely no longer believe in Santa, and already know the gifts are from the parents.

agree

Yep, agree completely. I think for the most part this is adults projecting their worries onto children when I would guess a vast majority of children don't think about it at all.

I remember discussing gifts with friends and usually we got different things from Santa anyway - maybe one of us got a new bike and the other got a cassette (because I'm old :haha:), but we were happy about the gifts we got because they were what we wanted! I don't think most kids who are at the age where they believe in Santa are thinking "whoa, hey, wait a minute... Your average bike costs $300 and a cassette tape only costs $10!" If I asked for the $10 cassette and got it then I was thrilled!

I mean, it works both ways, too. If I'm sitting here saying I'm not going to spend more than $30 on Santa's gift just in case other kids don't get anything expensive/big, and then no one else does the same, it's now my kid who got the mittens and a hat instead of what she really wanted while everyone else got what they wanted, and I have to explain it to her. I think things just sort of get messy when you start overthinking them.

I think it's okay to say you're not going to give your kid a brand new extravagant $2000 tree fort from Santa, but for the most part I think most gifts you'd be giving a 2-8 year old (generally speaking) aren't going to be super extravagant and clearly far superior to everyone else's gifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->