*** January Jellybeans 2015 *** - join & chat here :) 132 so far!

Congrats to all the ladies whom have recently given birth and good luck to the ladies still waiting! Hoping all the babies needing extra help are healthy as can be as soon as possible and can go home to be with their family!

Itsnowmyturn - Our little girl lost an entire lb her first week. I was breastfeeding her on demand and even waking her up to eat because she was SO sleepy. Her cries were weak and she could barley keep her eyes open. Turns out that even though she had a good latch, she just wasn't able to draw enough milk out by herself - I just wasn't producing what she needed. I'm still not and I'm even taking fenugreek and blessed thistle. We had to switch over to bottle feeding her breast milk and she was a completely different baby by the second feeding. She had life in her eyes and was substantially more alert. Because I don't make enough, we do have to supplement formula. I'm not sure if our type of situation even applies to yours, but wanted to share that just in case it could help her feed better and not be so tired! Good luck!

INMT - When I was in the hospital with Elijah he was only feeding 5 minutes at a time. The hospital said it was due to the jaundice making him tired. Once we got home he automatically got better feeding. I think it was probably the fact we were both more relaxed at home.

I hope all the babies that are unwell get better soon and get to go home.
As we've gone with BT for phone and broadband we are able to sign in to a BT hotspot for free, a BT engineer should be here this afternoon to connect broadband up. I have missed so much!

INMT - you're doing so well! I attempted breastfeeding Alex, we got readmitted to the maternity ward the day after he was born as he would latch on but literally come straight back off. I tried for a couple of days until I decided to switch to the bottle, mw said I would of needed to hand express for a bit before using the breast pump and i just couldnt. Hopefully when you get home you will all be more relaxed and she will feed better. I actually remember feeling so down about how he wouldn't feed from me and the mw said it wasn't due to the lack of milk, i actually had 2 mw's on each boob expressing milk at one point lol.

Anyone know how sethsmummy and baby Rohan are doing?

Still no baby here, had a couple awful pains real low down last night, think it was just baby moving further down. She has until midnight if she wants to come today or she has to wait until after tomorrow (it's MILs partners birthday tomorrow and if she comes tomorrow we will never hear the end of it as hes been saying she will come on his birthday..hes just so annoying, he used to call Alex 'AJ' before he was born as his name is Alex Joseph...ugh just shut up haha)

INMY you can't make a baby clingy. Newborns just are because you are their sole source of survival. They know you are mum and that without you they have no chance. It's why their cries affect mum the most, they're supposed to so we don't forget them and leave them somewhere. So cuddle that baby as much as they need, because they will grow out of it so fast and you won't get it again.

Wrt feeding, all milk is good. Yes if course breast is best but if it's causing stress we are in the lucky position of having formula. It's not a failing, not giving any milk would be failing your child.

Good luck today, hope you get home soon. If all tests are back clear I'd be leaving asap!! The community midwives will continue to visit.

Jen, she gets a very good latch n gets a good mouthful of milk with each suck but just falls asleep, iv been expressing n there's no issues with supply, expressed 120ml yesterday afternoon n just expressing now cos they're so full it hurts.
She lost a little weight over the course of yesterday, probably due to the bad feeds.
I didn't even bother waking her thru the night didnt see the point in disturbing her if it was going to be a 2 minute feed. Just fed her when the nurses came to her n she woke up. She is excessively sleepy but it's not even her due date yet so msybe. She's just not mature enough yet.
We tried bottle this morning n she took that we'll, the nurse thinks maybe she's getting too snuggled with me n falling asleep because of that. If she has another feed well I'm guna ask to go home and the midwife can come n see us tomorrow. At least she's fed, n if it is just snuggling into me that's doing it (and she does sooth extremely easily with me) then I can do breastfeeding when I have some time to sit with her n bottle when I need to n oh can feed while I catch up on sleep. Just hope she doesn't go off breastfeeding if we have to use bottle

Stripping off, changing nappy, tickling, winding, u name iv tried it she just sleeps

I fed Elijah in the bath the other night, he fed so well. Might be worth a try?

INMT- sorry you having a tough time with baby girl feeding. Both my girls lost weight(about 200grams each!) while in hospital, but I was told that babies are allowed to lose 10% of their birth weight in the 1st week. I try to feed them both more or less the same time, so when they don't wanna wake up, I take a wet wipe(I know, its bad, but it works! Nurse suggested it) and rub it over their hands or even face. They hate it and of cause, wake up & I can feed with no issues. I hope you get to go home soon though. It'll all work out, stay positive, you're doing great so far!

AFM- I'm having so much fun being a mom, again! These girls are so sweet! I breastfeed, but also top up with formula as it seems they are not getting enough from me. Although when I expressed, I got 60ml from each breast & 60ml seems enough when I bottle feed them my milk.
What signs do you have to look out for to know if baby has jaundice? Courtney's eyes(the white part) seems a bit yellowish. Her stools are also yellow, but that could be the breast milk. Should I be worried?

I've been struggling to load pics, always telling me 'the file is too large'! Kinda irritating, but will keep trying.

How is everyone else keeping up?

I've been trying to upload a photo too but it says it's too large. I wanna show of my gorgeous boy :haha:

Yellow eyes and yellow skin is a sin of jaundice, it starts on the face and spreads around the body I think. As far as i am aware The yellow stools are a sign of a fulfilled breastfed Baby :)

Try slightly cropping your picture and it should let you upload it.

Yellow poo is a great sign in a breastfed baby, means there is a good balance between fore and hind milk :)

Signs if jaundice are yellow skin that starts in the face and travels down the body, yellow eyes, sleepy, big weightloss, not interested in feeding etc.

We are Home!! Had to give her a few bottle feeds for them to allow us home and they've stopped 2 antibiotics and given me one that's oral to give her and eye drops to give her. Glad to get her home and put her in a nice fluffy reusable nappy, her bum is sore from antibiotic poo and using disposable nappies, the reusable are much more gentle on her delicate baby skin.
I'm wondering if my baby girl (who we have now named sophie) is just doing an extreme version of cluster feeding and doing it constantly instead of just for a few hours. I'm certainly not giving up with breastfeeding, I'd like to go back to it but I now fear that as she's had bottles (and she falls asleep with them too it's just easier to wake her enough to suck) that she won't want to work at the breast. I think my oh is looking forward to having a feed

Glad you are home, good luck with the feeds.

Thanks for the tip BB. Here is my beautiful little boy

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-13-20-05-42-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-13-20-05-42-1.png
    444.6 KB · Views: 5
Nawwww 0203 he is super duper cute!!!!!!

I want my baby :( two weeks to go.

Yay INMT that's great news that you're home :) keep going with the breastfeeding, get naked with biscuits, drinks and the remote and just stay with each other now you're home x

Glad you guys are home INMT

BB-will try that,thanx

0203- he is gorgeous!

Here they are, a week today:)

Time really goes by too fast!

Attachments

• K%20%26%20C.jpg
    K%20%26%20C.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 9
  • Kaitlyn%20%26%20Courtney.jpg
    Kaitlyn%20%26%20Courtney.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 10