• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teacher mums chat thread

Oh wow, huge congrats Nimbus!!!
I don't think your new school can refuse to take you becasue you're pregnant, so I think it is really up to you whether you take the job or not if they have actually offerd it to you. I would go with what you think will make you happiest and less stressed in the long run. Whatever decisions you make are bound to P some people off, but I have learned that you can't worry about that sort of thing - you have to get on with your own life and do what's best for you and your family. I sometimes feel guilty about going off on mat leave again so soon after having Abgail, but when I look back on the past 7 years that I've been working here, I have put so much into it and done so many extra duties and hours, that now I think I deserve my break!

Huge congratulations Nimbus! That's wonderful news.

Is the job in a different Local Authority then? If it is, you'd not be entitled to maternity but if it's in the same one you'd still get it as it's the LA that pays you, not your school.

We were told the other day that they're not asking us this year which year group or even key stage we'd like to teach for next year because it 'gives a false impression that we will get a say in it. Staffing will be addressed with priority to keeping staff in their jobs and of course thinking of people's professional development.' :growlmad:

We currently have 4 form entry in my reception year - bulge year. So 4 staff and only 3 places next year, plus a member of staff coming back from ML too. 5 staff and 3 places. One is applying for jobs in Wales as she's split with ehr partner here but she hasn't got a job yet and might not, and they made it clear to me last year that i was only going to be in reception for a year...

I wouldn't mind but they have been telling my old yr 1 colleague that they want her in reception next year!!!! So we're chock-full of staff but they want her there over me? I've had great feedback from our phase leader, good obs, my profiles are very good according to the phase leader and I love it there and finally feel confident and happy again after having my confidence crushed last year... so why put her there and not me?

I have applied for and been shortlisted interview for a job though! I applied Monday and heard Tuesday, it's closer to home but more money as it's inner london wage not outer, I'd save on petrol... It's a reception job at a nex school (not even built yet!) and i KNOW I could do it. They want to come watch me at my current school then interviews start May 10th. I'm terrified!!! But am thinkint that if I don't get it we will just start ttc again sooner so it's win-win really.

I

Good luck Becstar! Really hope you get it! Sound perfect. Nimbus, have you decided what to do yet? I am starting to get stressed out trying to get everything done before Easter when I finish. I have the appraisals for my whole department to write up, 46 GCSE coursework folders to get up together with all the paperwork, plus 5 lesson observations stil to do and write up. Am half hoping I go into labour early so I have a good excuse to just leave it all lol!

Good luck Becstar! Fingers crossed for you! I love Reception, my favourite year to teach (apart from those damn profiles!).

We had parents evening tonight and Daisy was asleep in bed by the time I got home so I've not seen her today apart from an hour before work :(.

Hi ladies :wave: I don't have too much to add yet as I am not at work :haha:

But I do have a question :)

I am calling tax Credit people tomorrow to give this years estimated income so they can re-assess in time for Mays payment. I know I can deduct £100 a week since I have been on mat leave, so that will be £2200. But I have also heard that I can deduct my pension contributions too, does anyone know if this is true? If so that will be very handy and another grand or so knocked off :)

Hi ladies :wave: I don't have too much to add yet as I am not at work :haha:

But I do have a question :)

I am calling tax Credit people tomorrow to give this years estimated income so they can re-assess in time for Mays payment. I know I can deduct £100 a week since I have been on mat leave, so that will be £2200. But I have also heard that I can deduct my pension contributions too, does anyone know if this is true? If so that will be very handy and another grand or so knocked off :)

I don't know but if it is I need to call them and correct mine!

I think that with salary sacrifice schemes the pension contribution amount is deducted before tax so the P60 has taken account of this, so the amount you tell them should take account of it anyway.

Yeah see we don't have our P60's obviously yet, so I need to know whether to deduct it when I give them an approx of this years earnings otherwise they will overpay me :)

Not sure what to do. As we've all changed to acadamies recently or will be by next week, then it's a different employer even though it's up the road and the same lea etc. Man i'm confused. I'm entitled to nothing, and hubby hasn't got a job yet so all is up in the air. I'm scared of doing something or doing nothing with my job decision, and then regreting it. I've given the school a call and awaiting a reply to have a chat through things. I hate the fact that i really want this job and that if i have to decide to give it up then i'll be stuck here - although on maternity leave. They'll hate me for it as they'll know the only reason i would be staying was for the pennies. Ahhhhh! crazy hormones don't help

I hope you get it sorted Nimbus. Would you not even be entitled to Maternity Allowance? https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyT...ort/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869

I told my Head on Thursday about the fact I'd applied for a job and been shortlisted for interview. She said 'oh, brilliant! Great news! When will you find out?' :nope:

I've always known she didn't think much of me but I was kind of hoping for more of a 'well I understand and that's great for you, but we'd be sorry to see you go.' :cry:

PS Nimbus as you can see I know what it's like to be somewhere you know you're not thought well of. Huge hugs for you. x

Nimbus I looked in the burgundy book online and it seems like you don';t have to have worked for the same authority:

Payments for teachers who have less than 1 years’ continuous service as a teacher
with one or more LEAs at the beginning of the 11th week before the EWC shall be
their entitlement to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) only.
8.2 Payment of salary to a teacher who has completed not less than 1 year’s continuous
service as a teacher with one or more LEAs at the beginning of the 11th week before
the EWC shall be in accordance with the provisions set out below and shall be made
on the condition that she will be available, or able, to return to work for the required
period specified in paragraph 5 above#

I guess it depends if the academy in question follows the burgundy book. Call your union love and check.

Oooh thank you becstar. I spoke to the dep head last night who confirmed what i already knew which was that they still have to offer me the job, but she was stumped on the pay thing. She's talking to the governers on Monday as to what they would offer me. So i guess i'll find out more then.

Happy Easter Holidays everyone :happydance:

I have now officially started my maternity leave. Two weeks to go so hoping I get to enjoy some nice weather before LO arrives.

Nimbus, did you decided what to do about the job?

Hi Cattia! Wow, maternity leave already! How exciting :) :hugs:!

We started our easter hols last Friday. April is great for us: 2 weeks off, back on 18th April for 4 days, off for easter weekend, back for 3 days then off again for the royal wedding weekend. I'm loving it!

Hi ladies a questions for those of you who have your kids on childcare. What do you pay during the holidays? Do you get ot free? Do you have to pay a retention say 50% or do you have to pay full wakc while lo is not there?

thank you :flower:

Sorry, I have a SAHD for childcare! Hope you get it sorted though.

Did I tell you guys I had an observation by the head of the school I have an interview at? It was hectic and all over the place, she said she'd be there half an hour and stayed an hour... not sure what to think! Waiting to find out the date of the actual interview at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->