• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teacher mums chat thread

TBH I find that state/private thread in baby club to be shocking! I teach in Canada obviously, and there is no real debate/divide over the two. You just do what you feel like, most of whom go to public schools because the majority of private schools are religious. Shocking to see how the history of social class divides in the UK still shapes many opinions/attitudes/biases of the current generation...!

Yes, I had a HUUUGGEEE debate about this in a thread in the GS a few months ago and I ended up feeling really irritated, like people thought I must be an inferior teacher because I taught in a state school! I think a lot of people who think private education is better have been to private school themselves and have no idea how good our state education actually is.

Had ofsted in this week. it's a right pain seeing everyone so stressed. I seemed to do ok in the end and i was quite chilled. Phew glad that's over!

Oh gosh, you poor thing! I'm glad it went well. I had ofsted on my second day back after 6 months maternity leave!

Didn't see that thread... but you don't even have to be a qualified teacher to teach in a public school, do you?

Hi all,
Just dropping in to say hi as it's been a while! Hope you're all doing well. IT'S HALF TERM!!!!!!! HOOOOORRRRRAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!! I do find it a shame that all the groups and classes stop over half term though - means I can't take Abigail to them :(
Well, after this I only have six weeks left until I am on mat leave again Whoooooooo :happydance:
It does however mean we are going to be totally skint. I am stepping down from being a HOD (we had a massive restructure so unless I wanted to apply for an even more stressful management job there was not much option as HODs are not going to exist any more). HOwever I did just get a sort of promotion and am now going to be literacy development co-ordinator which is a cross college role, so I will start that properly after my mat leave.
I hope everyone has some lovely plans for their week off. A whole week with our LOs - bliss :)

Man oh man i had a shocker of a last day of term.... be warned i'm going to grumble and rant in an unprofessional way as i have no one else i can do so with!

Childminder that i';ve been having problems with (and now officially is sacked!) has got 2 children and sadly one of them has been ill recently. DS was with her and her daughter is rushed off in an ambulance to a and e. I get the call first thing and rush off to collect boy from hospital. I've sorted out for my tutor group to be shared out for citz lesson and i was covered for the rest of the morning anyway as i had an occ health app (which they put on the staff out calander for everyone to read - thanks SMT, love and support you too). So i ask OH to take our child for the afternoon and return for a lesson, a cover lesson in my management time and detentions. My HOD (narky-no-life-lady) had forgotten about my app and ordered me to come back asap and bring my baby with me if need be. Obv i waited for hubby to return home and then went in. Quick converstion later with HOD about her stress levels - apparently she wasn't stressed but angry that people are taking time off and turning up late when they don't need or have to... WHAT?! That everyone could be in when ofsted were here and then can;t be bothered afterwards. the fact that i'd come in with the worst migrane passed her by. anyway, i discussed the fact that i would have hcildcare problems on friday and asked for her advice, thinking that this would make her less angry with me! She pointed out that neither i nor baby were ill and that other parents bring their children in. OK, we looked over my timetable and 4/6 lessons would be completely fine only two first thing may have been an issue. Please note, yest, fri was bday 1 for LO. He's little still but ok in a playpen and a complete cutie, quite calm, not a worry. if i had thought it was completely out of the question and unworkable i would have said no. I called the cover organiser and discussed with HOD in the room and asked for any help if i could get it. I also asked if i should ask the head and got a no from my HOD as othe rpeople do it. OK so off i trundle home planning how to work the next day. n i come on Friday with travel cot etc, go to briefing and tutor time no problems carting child with me. I return to my class and i have two members of SMT there telling me "we can;t do this", have a child in a lab etc. i explained that my HOD had told me to, and offerred to move my class to a normal teaching room as non of my lessons were practical based (i'm a science teacher), no not alloiwed. what would parents/visitors think, etc tec. I was then told that i needed to find more appropriate childcare arrangements, that i had to go home now. I completely felt liek the child told by one teacher to do one thing then getting a right shout at for doing that thing i'd been told. Yep, i recognise that i should have asked the head despite being told otherwise, yep, it wasn't a good idea. But, i'm a good worker, i do wehat i'm told and i expect to be well advised. All this when they know i'm emotionally not right, that i'm trying to juggle pnd, child, home, hubby with pnd, childmnder serious issues, to start the list.

Do i sound completely silly, like i should have realised how others would have reacted? What do i do now? I need to find out what the policy is on children in school etc, others do it (even younger than my babe), is the issue with me? that i idin't inform smt? i'm swo comfused and i've been crying, worried and stressed over this. I don't know what my next step is. Do i comfront my narky HOD, talk to smt about her decision?

:hugs: Nimbus. That sounds like an awful situation! To be honest it sounds as though your school are treating you really badly and your HOD is quite frankly, a LOSER!
I am a HOD and when someone in my team has childcare issues, which does happen from time to time, they ring me and I arrange to cover their lessons. I would not expect someone to come in with a child (not that I am saying you did the wrong thing by doing that, since that's what you were told to do) but I think they need to be more accommodating towards your situation. I remember being taken into work with my parents sometimes (they were both teachers) when I had an INSET day or something but that was a long time ago. To be honest I would imagine there would be issues bringing a child in because a risk assessment would need to be completed first otherwise the school might be liable if something goes wrong. Therefore I think your HOD was wrong to tell you to take your child in with you. Actually I think your HOD needs a kick up the backside! At least now it is half term so you can relax for a week. I hope you have a good one!

Hi ladies can I join you?? I may need u to rant at in a few months!! Not due back to school until July 4th so will have had almost as year as got signed off due to waters going at 28 weeks in the summer hols!

I gt pregnant in my nqt year so am spending my second year on may leave! I'm scared about going back although can't wait too!

Firstly because I feel so out the loop and feel like I'm startig over a year off is a long time, my diddy yr 7s are gonna be year 9 :shock:

also I am a single pareto so worried about illness, parents eve and all that. All family live 60 odd miles away! I moved for the job when I had no baggage lol!!

Throughout the pregnancy my school were fab! And I seem to have a supportive dept and head as well as lovely colleagues on the whole! I'm just worried it might look like I'm taking the Piss at times. Leavigg earlier (like 3.30-4pm) possible doing less at home until I am back into the swing. I can't see how as a single parent to what will ne an 11 month old how I'm gonna do sow. Constant lesson plans and marking or worries me :(

:flower:

Excuse my English I'm in my phone!!

Btw I teach secondary humanities but qualified in history :)

Hi and welcome! I find one of the hardest things for me is leaving early (4ish) because I feel really judged as everyone else leaves at about 6. I find myself hoping the head isn't looking out of his window as I sneak past. To get my planning etc done I try to do as much of it as possible while I;m at work so I work through my lunchtime and breaks every day, if I don't have to be in an assembly or something like that I work through that too. I cram as much as possible into every second I'm there so I have less to do at home. I still do quite a lot of work in the evenings and at weekends but much less than I used to do. One bit of advice is to try not to worry about going back and try not to think about it yet as I feel like I ruined my last couple of months of maternity leave by constantly dwelling on having to go back to work rather than making the most of the time I still had with Daisy. I'm sure you'll settle right back in as soon as you're back. I had ofsted on my second day back after maternity leave and that was horrid but apart from that it was as if I'd never been away! :hugs:

Thanks! I do plan to do stuff at school as nursery is up to 6, bit then the later I go home the less time I have with evan! I'd like to give him dinner if I can and I guess do some work when he's in bed. Not sure how it will work really and guess I'll have to try out different things to find the right balance :)

Welcome anna!
I totally agree wiht what JC said - try no to think too much about going back to work as I was in pieces for about two months beforehand and although it was hard, the anticipation was actually worse than the reality in the end.
I don't leave work before 5.30 most days (I work 4 days a week and only really leave early on Fridays). I work every evening once Abigail is in bed but I don't work at all during the day on my day off or at weekends so I have that time to spend with her. I don't get that much done at work as I am a HOD so my frees are mostly taken up with pointles admin and endless meetings after college (I work in a sixth form).
Once you start back you will find a pattern that suits you and you'll work out a routine. Enjoy the rest of the time off with your LO!

Hi Anna - welcome!

I hate 'sneaking' out at 4 too but I always have a bag of work with me to take home!!

Just to let you know ladies, I'm no longer pregnant... we had an early scan at what should have been 7 weeks but there was just a sac and no fetal pole. After 8 days we had another scan and no change. We are obviously distraught by it... I had the erpc this week. Husband and my family have been wonderful and work have been pretty good. I hope we can try again soon. It's silly but I know you'll understand... October would have been such a good time to be due, I could have been back for just a few weeks after the summer, then had 9 months off then gone back for the start of the summer holidays and been on full pay again for 5 weeks off. I'm really upset that now it'll be a more awkward due date. Silly, eh?

Hi Anna - welcome!

I hate 'sneaking' out at 4 too but I always have a bag of work with me to take home!!

Just to let you know ladies, I'm no longer pregnant... we had an early scan at what should have been 7 weeks but there was just a sac and no fetal pole. After 8 days we had another scan and no change. We are obviously distraught by it... I had the erpc this week. Husband and my family have been wonderful and work have been pretty good. I hope we can try again soon. It's silly but I know you'll understand... October would have been such a good time to be due, I could have been back for just a few weeks after the summer, then had 9 months off then gone back for the start of the summer holidays and been on full pay again for 5 weeks off. I'm really upset that now it'll be a more awkward due date. Silly, eh?

:hugs: :hugs:
So sorry to hear your news Becstar. I really hope it will happen again for you soon, when you're ready to try again. I understand what you mean about timing too - I am due in April this time which doesn't work out too well with mat leave / pay etc but when the time is right for you it'll be fine no matter what time of year it is. Look after yourself xx

Hi Anna - welcome!

Oh hun, I'm so, so sorry. I hadn't seen this until now :( Huge hugs :hugs: xxx

I have a new job! Went for it after a really rubbish end to the half term. Got the job and really pleased. it's not a promo but a sideways step, but just egtting out of my current situation i hope will help me to heal. feels a bit stange though - i haven't had my letter yet to confirm the appointment and my school have already put the advert up for my job (or kinda). It's now very clear that they've been waiting for me to go as they can now re-structure. makes me feel liek i was a waste of time., ah well. still i'm yet to hand in my notice and i feel a bit cheated. am i being overly sensitive?

I have a new job! Went for it after a really rubbish end to the half term. Got the job and really pleased. it's not a promo but a sideways step, but just egtting out of my current situation i hope will help me to heal. feels a bit stange though - i haven't had my letter yet to confirm the appointment and my school have already put the advert up for my job (or kinda). It's now very clear that they've been waiting for me to go as they can now re-structure. makes me feel liek i was a waste of time., ah well. still i'm yet to hand in my notice and i feel a bit cheated. am i being overly sensitive?

Congratulations Numbus :happydance:
I think your school have treated you really badly throughout tbh. They are totally out of line advertising your job when you have not handed in your notice, in fact I am not even sure that's legal, and would definitely land them in some trouble if you changed your mind, but I would just let them get on with it and be glad that you'reout of there! It's amazing how this kind of ongoing treatment can errode your confidence, and I am sure that once you get into your new job you'll remember all the things you like about teaching and all the things you are good at! It'll be a great new start and I am sure you'll be so much happier.

Thank you Cattia.

New complication - got my BFP today (!) so i guess now i need to call the new school and let them know. Humm, i'd be starting a few weeks before leaving on maternity. not sure that'll make them happy. i wouldn't qualify for mat pay either. still if they don't want to give me the job still i could stay at my place, cause havock and then go off for the year. so tempting to mess them around a bit. That's a nasty bit of me peeping through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->