• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teacher mums chat thread

I also have a SAHD for childcare (well he works evenings).

Do you think the interview went well Becstar apart from being hectic? What did you do for it?

Hi ladies :wave:
I've just found this section.
I'll introduce myself. I'm 32, a first time mum, DS is 6 months old (today!), and I teach Technology in a secondary school in the east midlands.

I'm still on maternity leave and planning to go back after the May/June half term full time, then drop down to 4 days in September.

Anna Matronic - We've paid a retainer to a child minder to hold her til June at a rate of £50 per month (we have no family close by to fall back on). She isn't charging us in the holidays because she has a daughter at school who she wants to spend time with, so term time suits her well. Nurseries wanted to charge through the holidays - that soon adds up! We are having to pay for full time though, even when I drop to part time, but part time is a recent development and I doubt I'd find anyone who wouldn't.

Hope you're all doing well.

Forgot to add, I'm a fairly new teacher. I did my NQT year, then got pregnant during my second year and am spending my third year on ML (bar a week last September!).
I'm dreading going back - I do work with lots of nice people though which should make it easier. I've no idea how I'm going to fit in all the planning/marking/random other paperwork around looking after DS because it was hard enough before he was here. I'm hoping that part time will equal more time to do less work, but we'll see. Like most people I'm really bothered by the idea of leaving DS during the day, but I guess we'll see how it goes. That's not helped by our recent discovery that we suspect he has an allergy to cows milk (A+E trip after trying him with a tiny bit of yoghurt :( ).

I got pregnant on my NQT year :dohh: So am spending my whole second year on mat leave :haha: I go back for 3 weeks in July, but /I could easily go back after may half term, but I'm not going to!!

I have spoken to one childminder who was recommended by 2 friends, she isn't sure if she has a vacancy as she is waiting to hear from someone but does think she has a space from September, so I was thinking Evan could go to the nursery for 3 weeks and start with her in September. She has said she won't charge for school holidays and is only £3.50 an hour and includes food and takes them out etc etc :)

Well, the new school got back to me and offered full mat pay and conditions as though the schools had not changed to academies and it was continual service. Phew! So, I handed in my notice on the last day of term and i'm off to pastures new in September! Such a relief to know that that is all sorted. I know that the new post is likely to be hard work but i'm up for a challenge and keen to get stuck in - even if i'll only be there a couple of months before going off on leave! If i'm on here in Septemeber complaining, please remind me of the rubbish things that i'm leaving behind and tell me to get a grip!

Ah the holidays, i'm off to enjoy the sun. Anyone doing anything special?

We went to the beach t'other day - turns out our boy doesn't like the feel of sand on his feet, so he stayed on the rug the whole time. We've sorting out our garden a bit - it generally involves me leaving the hubby to it as i can't help too much at the moment. Went out to the supermarket earlier and sat in the cafe and as i looked about at the other mummys with children my age it made me realise that i'm fortunate to have this time off, even if i can't be with him all the time right now.

Hiya I've not been on here for ages. Congrats on your new job :) I'm dreading going back to work, not sure how I can leave Leo! I'm sure everyone feels like that though. I'm not going back until last 2weeks in July so got a while yet. How did you choose between nursery or childminder? We've seen one of each that we like. How do we choose? Does anyone know of advantages / disadvantages of both?

Hi Starsunshine!
I was beside myself about going back to work, in fact I spent the last weeks of my maternity leave in a right state about it! When it came to it, it honestly wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I also went back right at the end of the summer term and it was great as I knew I only had a few weeks to go until the summer holidays. September was harder as I knew it was for good, but it was fine once I got into a routine.

We opted for a childminder for Abigail as she was still quite young (6 months old) and I wanted her to be in a more 'homey' environment rather than anywhere too big or too structured. It worked great for us; the older kids loved her and she settled in really well there. However after the first 6 months or so the childminder stopped working as she and her husband took over a pub. We were really gutted, and we couldn't find another one we liked as much, so since then we have put Abigail in nursery. It is a small and informal nusery, very friendly and they do loads of crafts, cooking, gardeing etc, so she has a great time there. I think on refelction she would have been fine there from the start, but I felt happier having her somewhere more like home at first.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Obvioulsy if the childminder is ill then you have an emergency childcare problem on your hands, whereas with nursery they will always be able to take them. With a childminder I liked the fact that they went out a lot, and that she mixed with children of different ages.

Having said that, I think the play and activities are more structured at nursery, and I feel that she's come on a lot in her development since she's been there.

At the end of the day, I would go with your gut feeling and pick the one that just feels right, as if you are happy and settled leaving him there then he is likely to pick up on that. Also make sure they do some settling in sessions before you go back to work - and make sure you have LOTS to do the first few times you leave him there - I felt like I was ripping my heart out leaving her the first few times, but it really does get easier!

Hi ladies,

I hope you don't mind me being on here. I'm not a mum yet but I'm ttc at the mo. I am a secondary school English teacher and obviously if i'm blessed enough to conceive, will be looking to you ladies for advice regarding EVERYTHING from maternity leave to nurseries. Hope that will be ok!! :flower::flower:

Hi LilMissCheer, Welcome :)

I am an English teacher too. Happy to offer any advice, and hope your get your BFP soon :flower:

Hi ladies, well I am off to see the childminder next week. I am gonna have to pay a retainer to hold the space until July but I don't mind as I think she's the "one" :haha:

Have been told today we have a 2 class take up of History GCSe which is great, last year I took the only GCSE class and it had 8 kids :haha:

So when I go back in July for 3 weeks my dept head has said he's rather me take over the cover and teach my classes than do cover myself, I am not sure how I feel about that. Am I gonna be able to plan for it all. I am more anxious going back now than when I started :(

Well, I had my interview yesterday... and didn't get the job. I was not surprised because it was for a Jewish school and I'm not Jewish so was pleased to even get to interview. They were very positive and nice about me but said, This decision is not in any way a reflection of your ability to fulfil the role; the panel however felt that the successful candidate was a closer match with the specific requirements of x Primary at this stage in its development. which I read as 'we gave the job to someone who is Jewish.'

I'm absolutely fine with it, it makes sense and I'm okay staying where I am as I now know they are going to keep me in Reception (yay!) and it means we can ttc - well, from anytime, really!!

It's a bit weird though, it's the first job I've ever interviewed for and not got!

Does any one know what the rules are on going back on maternity leave for number 2? We plan on TTCing again later this year - does there have to be a certain gap between two maternity leaves to get the full entitlement again? I've failed to find this info looking in the rule book. :wacko:

No I don't think there does because you've been employed by them and you're not allowed to be disadvantaged by being on ML in any way.

Hi, sorry this thread didn't show up in my updates for some reason.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job becstar. It sounds like you did really well to get as far as you did though. Yay for being in Reception next year! I think I will be too. As I'm the FS coordinator I can only be in R or N but I told the head Reception would be easier to cover than Nursery when I'm on mat leave so I think he'll keep me where I am. I'm glad. I love Rec.

I don't think there has to be a gap between maternity leaves ayh78. I was back for less than 10 months when I told the head I was pregnant again and he didn't bat an eyelid.

Can anyone think of a way of making an extra £100 a month? I really hate my sodding TLR responsibility and want to ditch it but can't afford to. Grr.

I feel exactly the same. I HATE my TLR. It causes me so much stress.

The head gave a temporary TLR to 2 of my colleagues last year for 6 months - my role is environment coordinator, the temporary role was for outdoor curriculum development as we were expanding outdoors hugely.

The temp TLR stopped in December but the head and the facilities manager still ask my colleague to do most of the stuff and tell her things before me. She was told about the photos being taken of our eco-council today and I was not, had to find out from her when I saw it on the board. She is sent on courses I am not. Yet I am the one being paid for it?

I know she'd do the job better than me if I'm honest and would be glad to hand it over - but I need the money!!

hiya all!

Secondary science teacher here. I initially was thinking of going back just before easter, and i have changed my dates officially too! so now i will be going back 19th july, and then 3 days from sept.

I wish i could be doing 0 days, but damn those bills!!!

Oh yeah, i also was second in dept but decided not to keep it. i really dont want to be working any more than i have too!! (but yes, that tlr pay was very very welcome!!).

Hi ladies, can I join this thread too? :flower:

I'm a primary teacher, got preggers at the end of my 3rd yr, and will be returning to work in September full-time to teach Yr 3. They're going to look so tiny, I was in Yr 6 last yr! My LO will be 7 months when I return, and I'm dreading leaving her. :cry: I also have a TLR (the basic one) for History, Geography, Art, music and DT!

Any other primary gals here? Am wondering how I'll manage to get all planning and marking done now that I have LO, any suggestions as to how you all time manage would be great! xx

Oooh - I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself too! I'm primary (y5/6) and will be returning full time as head of my phase in September. I also lead MFL, EAL and global curriculum at our school. Looking forwardto getting to know some other teacher mummies! Nice to 'meet' you Neeyore!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->