• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why are people so ignorant about registries???

OK for all of you UK ladies who think it's rude or tacky to have a registry, obviously WE do things different here in the US. It is not tacky nor rude to expect people who are invited to your baby shower to get you the things you NEED. I don't need a bunch of yard sale crap or 50 million baby blankets and 5000 pairs of newborn onesies. Number one, they're wasting their money. I have a very broad range of prices on items that EVERYONE can afford. And if not, you can ALWAYS buy diapers or just get a freaking gift card so that I can buy what I need for MY baby!! People are so selfish to think they should be able to just buy what THEY want. Why??? It's not your baby, so why can't you buy what mommy and daddy have already decided on what WE want and need??? For all of you who say it's being ungrateful and rude, you obviously don't have the same traditions as we do here.

Please don't speak for all of us American ladies. WE don't all handle the generosity of others in this manner, pregnant or not.

I would agree that they may be wasting their money by buying anything, given this attitude.:nope:

OK for all of you UK ladies who think it's rude or tacky to have a registry, obviously WE do things different here in the US. It is not tacky nor rude to expect people who are invited to your baby shower to get you the things you NEED. I don't need a bunch of yard sale crap or 50 million baby blankets and 5000 pairs of newborn onesies. Number one, they're wasting their money. I have a very broad range of prices on items that EVERYONE can afford. And if not, you can ALWAYS buy diapers or just get a freaking gift card so that I can buy what I need for MY baby!! People are so selfish to think they should be able to just buy what THEY want. Why??? It's not your baby, so why can't you buy what mommy and daddy have already decided on what WE want and need??? For all of you who say it's being ungrateful and rude, you obviously don't have the same traditions as we do here.

wow with that attitude id completly bypass your list of "i wants" and get you absolutly nothing!!

its just nice and refreshing to see that not all the mums to be that do use a registry arent as rude or as ungreatful as this!!

at the end of the day these so called "selfish" people have gone out THEIR way used THEIR hard earned cash to buy YOUR baby a gift!!! so what if you dont like what they have brought! just smile and say thankyou and be polite!

i lost cant of the amount of muslins, teddies and snowsuits i recieved.... but still said thankyou and was more than greatful for them as they didnt have to buy anything.

as you said "the yard sale crap" why dont you do a yard sale and sell the so called "crap" people brought you to make the money back anf buy the bits that gost missed off the list!

Omfg im suprised you got anything with that attitude. How ungrateful! Im so mad reading this!

I am living in the wronnnnng country :haha:

You think?!?!?
I'm glad we've not cottoned on to the baby shower thing!

If i ever got told I was being selfish or ignorant for buying a gift that wasnt on 'THE' registry ,I'd stick their list up their bloody A hole!!!

US cultures are creeping in to the UK though, things like proms and gift registries for weddings are becoming more and more popular (although I don't know anyone who has had a regstry for their wedding gifts).
Wedding present lists have always been pretty common in the UK. It's only recently that they've become so accessible online though. As for baby gift registries, let's hope that one never gets across the Atlantic if this is the kind of outrage it causes!

I'm pretty appalled by the OP. The "me, me, me" attitude in your post is astounding and the sense of entitlement is just painful. You spent "hours" creating a list of things people are supposed to buy you? OK...Do people who have babies and create registries not actually have enough funds to kit out their own offspring? If it's really so bad, just make sure you keep the receipts or failing that, sell the stuff as new on ebay!

It seems like even in the USA these registries aren't that well known, or you wouldn't be having such trouble. Maybe people balk at the depersonalisation of it all. As some have already said, people love buying for babies. This seems to take all the joy out of it.

If me, DH and LO need anything, we're lucky enough to be able to ask our parents to get it for Christmas or LO's birthday. It's how we got his pram, car seats and a lot of his clothes. As for his nursery and anything else he needs, we make sure we can provide for him as his parents:shrug:

I have always found it crass to out right ask for things, i appreciate though that it is popular in the states. I seen someone refer to it as a "tradition" i wouldn't think buying people gifts they have asked for as a tradition lol... but each to their own i suppose.
Baby Showers are one of these "new" american trends that we have been doing lately, seems alot of american "traditions" result in people shopping/ receiving gifts lol. Very clever haha.

Wedding present lists have always been pretty common in the UK. It's only recently that they've become so accessible online though. As for baby gift registries, let's hope that one never gets across the Atlantic if this is the kind of outrage it causes!

Making a registry is a great tool for my husband and I, it is a very organized list of everything we could need with prices, product reviews, similar product suggestions, etc. We always wanted to make a registry for ourselves (plus, whatever is left on the registry gets an extra discount :happydance: ) and if anyone wants access to it we can give it to them.

The registry itself is not a bad thing, it is the selfish attitude some people have regarding gifts. It is sad to me that people can complain about gifts given to them but it is not just with baby/wedding registries, I hear it about birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries, you name it! It is always the same friends that complain and they complain about every situation where they receive presents. Making a registry won't change a person's sense of entitlement.

I have always found it crass to out right ask for things, i appreciate though that it is popular in the states. I seen someone refer to it as a "tradition" i wouldn't think buying people gifts they have asked for as a tradition lol... but each to their own i suppose.
Baby Showers are one of these "new" american trends that we have been doing lately, seems alot of american "traditions" result in people shopping/ receiving gifts lol. Very clever haha.

My registry isn't a way for me to ask for what I want. These are things that I plan on getting for my child myself and if people want to help they can. I don't just give out a link to my registry, I only give it to those who ask for it. If they already know they want to get my baby that cute onesie they saw the other day, or that sweet little teddy bear, or hand-me-downs from their children, then by all means that's what they should do, having a registry doesn't change that at all or make those gifts any less appreciated. Very few people in the US think buying from a registry is mandatory and those are usually, in my experience, my more selfish friends that seem to only feel that way when they are the ones doing the receiving.

Bit of tongue in cheek saying we where in wrong country there. I wouldnt dream of asking any of my relatives for things on a list I had made, I would respect everyone isnt loaded . We bought the big things ourselves unless someone offered like my parents got us a pram. We didnt ask them for it. Way it is here its your baby you pay for it and the rest is gifts to welcome baby in, few small things. I cant imagine loosing the head with people for not getting what I want I certainly would looked like a spoiled ungrateful person.

Well, that's a thread backfire if I ever saw one.

I was joking when i said i'm in the wrong country. If that didn't translate..

oh my god how did this turn into a 14 page debate?! Please say this was moved from baby club...that is the only explanation for this

SERIOUSLY is this a heated debate about presents? PRESENTS?

It doesn't seem like it fitted in here does it?

No, this is not a debate...its people arguing about presents and parties. I have officially seen it all on bnb. I'll be on my way.

https://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/29/AbandonThread.gif

If I knew her name and registry, I'd find it and mark everything as purchased.

Just kidding. I'd rather spend the time sitting with my lo while she happily looks at her Spot books, which someone had the gall to buy for her lol

I think it is just us ( Americans) trying to explain the norm ( for us) of baby showers and registries and also that we all are not selfish and what most of us put on a registry and what we don't put on a registry. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->